• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie biggest global opening of all time for an animated film

I liked the movie, but it's not gonna surpass 1 billion I think. It needs to perform better internationally..
It hasn't opened yet in Japan and S. Korea, 2 major markets. This movie's opening would be even bigger if it had opened at the same time in those 2 markets. That's possibly another 100-200 million right there.

begotten

I saw it and wasn't really impressed. Not sure if I had too high expectations?

None of the humour really resonated with me. Like the only time I laughed was when

Diddy Kong was still chugging away at the DK rap. Also WTF did they do with redesigning Chunky Kong?

I thought the pacing was a little weak and the animation wasn't really mind-blowing outside of

The race scenes in and out of the Kong place

It's a fun film no doubt that has some cool nods that fans can pick up on, my favourite being

Luigi's ringtone being the opening theme for NGC

Yeah it's for kids and meant to be fun, but the sales are indicative of a powerful IP not a great animated film. It just majorly pales to all the recent classics IMO

Last edited:

DrNeroCF

So it doesn't suck? I was going to see it today but was too tired after work. Maybe next week.
The wife and I loved it, kids were at the edge of their seats the entire time and have been playing with Mario stuff ever since.

I honestly think it’s depressing how much you need to downplay just straight up giving the audience what they wanted (the hero struggling, an emotional center, character moments, kinetic and clear action sequences, explosions, characters actually fighting with cartoony violence, real jokes, great voice acting, not too much cringe, no over-explaining the world, fun over realism, no subverted expectations, no anachronistic writing, no self-inserts, no Mary Sues, no tearing down childhood heroes, no flossing, the main heroes overcoming and delivering a brutal beat-down at the end…), the references were fun, but a pretty small part of what really makes the movie enjoyable.

Interfectum

0RlIL4y.png

The wife and I loved it, kids were at the edge of their seats the entire time and have been playing with Mario stuff ever since.

I honestly think it’s depressing how much you need to downplay just straight up giving the audience what they wanted (the hero struggling, an emotional center, character moments, kinetic and clear action sequences, explosions, characters actually fighting with cartoony violence, real jokes, great voice acting, not too much cringe, no over-explaining the world, fun over realism, no subverted expectations, no anachronistic writing, no self-inserts, no Mary Sues, no tearing down childhood heroes, no flossing, the main heroes overcoming and delivering a brutal beat-down at the end…), the references were fun, but a pretty small part of what really makes the movie enjoyable.

Same here with the wife and kids loving it. This is just an opinion, so no scholarly peer-reviewed academic sources backing this statement.

I believed this movie is doing so well and it's more than just a well known IP, since people love throwing that out, as if the 1993 movie didn't bomb.

It's more than that as you touched on it, no bullshit propaganda, no politics, no divisive issues of the day inserted either overtly or covertly, none. It's just a fun movie that seeks to entertain kids and their families. What you see is what you get. One last thing I have to add, since the past few years were littered with economic and political turmoil, people want to have that little bit of escapism and forget just for a little while, the turmoil that is engulfing this world.

Is the movie a cinematic masterpiece? No. But is it the right movie at this time? Yes.

Fbh

Not surprising, this was always going to do extremely well.

Just like Spiderman: No way home, the quality of the movie is ultimately irrelevant.

I'm sitting in a completely empty theater except me about to watch this. It's probably because it's a Friday afternoon, it's sunny outside, and I'm at a 3D showing. It would literally have been over $20 if it wasn't for this Comcast free ticket.

The preview for The Little Mermaid looks terrible. Sigh.

Blue Beetle also looks terrible. I don't know what DC actually has besides Batman and Superman and the other Justice League members that anyone actually wants to see.

If you grew up with Mario, this movie is great. I have no idea how someone who isn't familiar with Mario or the rest of Nintendo's cast of characters would take it, but I doubt those people are the target market for this movie anyways.

The Mario Kart sequence was by far the best part of the movie.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Does anyone believe any another animated videogame movie (that isn't fortnite, pokemon or roblox) will come close to these numbers?

I understand being excited because a videogame ip one likes is doing well, but people realise it's selling because it's a mario movie right?

Why do you believe a hypothetical zelda movie would outsell this?
Since when is Zelda bigger than Mario?
I’m not sure why anyone is shocked by this.
It’s a Mario movie. One of the most known characters, and it can be watched by any age. It’s guaranteed to make a killing.

Zelda isn’t anywhere near as renowned as Mario.
A movie would be nice but it’d never do what Mario can.

wait until next month when Tears of the Kingdom smashes the video game sales box office. records will be broken that should answer all your questions

Rockondevil

wait until next month when Tears of the Kingdom smashes the video game sales box office. records will be broken that should answer all your questions
Breaking game sales records is different to the IP popularity outside of games, as this is a movie, not a game.

Mario is easily more famous than Link to the majority of everyday people. I'm certain grandparents, parents and kids all over the world would identify Mario over Link any day of the week.

I have no doubt ToTK will sell amazingly, but that's completely different to releasing a movie for Zelda.

Last edited:

xandaca

It's a-mediocre for me, some of the references were fun but everything in-between was a drag. All the children sitting in front of me loved it though so it's playing for the right audience.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not surprising, this was always going to do extremely well.

Just like Spiderman: No way home, the quality of the movie is ultimately irrelevant.
It is relevant. It's just that people's expectations are different. The movie is fairly shallow, but pleasant, fun and entertaining. I enjoyed watching it, that's quality to me.

Movie making is an art form, but before that it is entertainment. It's an entertainment business, just like gaming. It uses art, it uses technology.

Last edited:
Top Bottom