• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Battle League - Reviews Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
hero

Genre: Soccer/Football, Multiplayer

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch
Media:
Developer: Next Level Games, Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 59.99$
Release Date: June 10, 2022
More Info: | Wikipedia Page

Reviews Agregator:

Metacritic

pYPQDLf.jpg

OpenCritic

7Wiosv7.jpg

Reviews Roundup:

Nintendo Life - 90/100

Battle League is a masterclass in competitive game design. What it lacks in options is more than made up for by just how much fun the game is, and it's absolutely gorgeous to boot. As it stands it already feels like a complete product, but the promise of future updates down the line gives us even more to get excited about. If arcade sport action isn't your bag, it'll likely do nothing to sway your opinion, but if you have even a passing interest in this kind of caper, Mario Strikers: Battle League is the best sports game on Switch right now.

Nintenduo - 81/100
Next Level Games has perfected the new Mario Strikers to feel fresher and funnier than ever, focusing on offline and online multiplayer modes. The original soundtracks aren't so good, although these little issues are not remarkable due to its cool art style.

Destructoid - 80/100
I was shocked that Mario Strikers: Battle League had this much going on under the surface.

Stevivor - 75/100
Mario Strikers Battle League is a lot of fun, but unless you commit to online play, it's here for a good — but brief — time.

WellPlayed - 70/100
Mario Strikers: Battle League Football excels on the field, but it struggles to make a compelling offer for solo players or anyone not willing to invest time in forming and maintaining a Strikers Club. It's just pick-up-and-play enough to work as a party game with mates and it's compelling to watch in action, but the lack of embellishments is sure to hurt its long-term appeal.

Gameblog.fr - 70/100
With a fiendishly fun formula, a production with the greatest of care, and more technical matches, Mario Strikers Battle League is the perfect game for intense parties with friends. Fun times, and mocking around between friends are guaranteed.

GAMINGbible - 60/100
The game's on-pitch rough and tumble makes it feel as much like Smash Bros. as a 'proper' football game, and slapstick animations help sell the bone-crunching tackles and electrified-fence frazzlings. But once you've the measure of the Mushroom Kingdom's idea of a kickabout, the only thing that'll really have you coming back to this is multiplayer.

Game Informer 7.5/10.0
Mario Strikers: Battle League may not be the ultimate version of the world's most popular sport, but its strategic matches, fun online modes, and energetic animations make for an enjoyable experience.

Wccftech 7.0/10.0
Mario Strikers: Battle League delivers the frantic fun the franchise is known for, but it feels like it's only fielding half a team. It's hard to overlook the missing characters, stadiums, modes, and mechanics from previous entries in the series, and new online modes and character customization options aren't fleshed out enough to make up for what's been left behind. Battle League will likely be worth it for hardcore fans with a good collection of friends to play with online or locally, but those hoping for more may find the game drifts just wide of the goalposts

Eurogamer No Recommendation/Blank
Mario Strikers returns with a stripped back entry for Switch that's ultimately less fun to tackle.

IGN 8.0/10.0
Mario Strikers: Battle League is an over-the-top soccer game that's wildly fun, even though it does very little new.

GameSpot 7.0/10
Mario Strikers: Battle League has all the makings of a great sports game, but there's not much there right now.

Shacknews 7.0/10
As it is, Mario Strikers: Battle League isn't the World Cup of Nintendo soccer that fans were probably hoping for. Instead, it's merely an average Sunday game that's playing on Univision: good for a few hours of entertainment and little more than that.

DigitalTrends 3/5
Mario Strikers: Battle League delivers the deepest Mario sports experience yet, with surprisingly nuanced soccer gameplay. There's just not much to do once you've mastered those skills.

VGC - 3/5 Stars
Review: Mario Strikers Battle League is a multiplayer marvel, but solo play is shallow.

Hmm, 74 disappointing or not?
I think it's about right. I tried the online demo thing they put out over the weekend and it just doesn't capture that feeling the first two games had (for me at least)

There's probably a learning curve in there with some of the mechanics, but it feels a bit messy and chaotic at times. Probably better against friends.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think it's about right. I tried the online demo thing they put out over the weekend and it just doesn't capture that feeling the first two games had (for me at least)

There's probably a learning curve in there with some of the mechanics, but it feels a bit messy and chaotic at times. Probably better against friends.
Yeah I tried it and I am not so fond of it....But I recently replayed Sega Soccer Slam so that might be why I didn't like the demo.
Soccer Slam is my goat football game.

Nautilus

Banned
Watching the reviews, it seems the biggest(and only) complain is that the game lacks content/modes.

Looking at the other Nintendo Sports games, its clear that Nintendo is following the strategy of witholding content to pulverize it over the next year, as that better maintains interest in the game and leads to better sales, as it has been proven before.

All in all, it feels like its a great game that will only be "completed" a year later. The roster will probably double by then, costumes/stages/cosmetics will double by then, and one or two new modes will also be introduced.

Sounds about right. A competent, average game. Solid controls but lacking in content a bit.

The demo is fun, but I needed more single player content.

The gameplay itself is surprisingly intricate, with a lot of different game mechanics. The tutorial takes a long time. Pretty complex for a casual sports game.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
This game looks fun. Remind me of those old school sport games from the 90s. To bad Nintendo is expensive as hell

kevm3

So in other words, Nintendo essentially releases an 'incomplete game' where the core product is solid and fun, but they drip out what should have been in the original game later on in the form of DLC to turn what should have been a $30 or $40 game in it's current state into an $80+ dollar game for the 'full experience'.

So in other words, Nintendo essentially releases an 'incomplete game' where the core product is solid and fun, but they drip out what should have been in the original game later on in the form of DLC to turn what should have been a $30 or $40 game in it's current state into an $80+ dollar game for the 'full experience'.
All the DLC is free in their sports games. They don't ever get to something worth $80.

Mario Tennis was worth $60 for me no question. Mario Golf was not. This game seems to have fun gameplay, but is lacking additional content and is also not worth $60 to me.

tmlDan

Just like Golf, another disappointing release by Nintendo - personally they have been failing on all fronts lately.

They really need price scaling if they're going to put out games with no content, these should be $40-50 max.....I am not falling for this again.

lately it feels like i should sell my switch.

Just like Golf, another disappointing release by Nintendo - personally they have been failing on all fronts lately.

They really need price scaling if they're going to put out games with no content, these should be $40-50 max.....I am not falling for this again.

lately it feels like i should sell my switch.
Switch Sports was $40. Brain Age was $30. Clubhouse games was $40 I think. Warioware was also cheaper, can't remember the launch price.

They need to step up the content on the Mario sports titles though.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Switch Sports was $40. Brain Age was $30. Clubhouse games was $40 I think. Warioware was also cheaper, can't remember the launch price.

They need to step up the content on the Mario sports titles though.
Its just sad cause i loved the old mario sports games so much and i buy these and not only is there little content but golf was basically made for people with no brains, it's so dumbed down.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mario sport games resonates with casual gamers we all grew up with Mario tennis… Mario party… Mario paper… but they’re questionable games as adults.

Woopah

Mario Sports/Party games are like the Warriors crossovers, good lineup fillers, but should never be the main attractions

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mario Strikers: Battle League may be the most mechanically dense Mario sports game I've played. The latest Mushroom Kingdom spin on soccer looks to take the sport seriously, allowing you to juggle passes, tackle, dodge, and cancel moves as the situation demands, even before factoring in its uniquely silly Mario twists.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Man Nintendo puts out some fun little games like this but they offer me limited fun. I want to play this with my son. But it’ll cost me 90$ and we’ll probably only play a few matches here and there.

I’ve got tons of switch games that are in the same boat as this. The amount of money I’ve spent on Nintendo games with the ratio of play time they give me is making me question my purchases more when it comes to there games. A lot of them come off half ass

Last edited:
Pretty much what I expected. I buy every Mario game, so this will be no exception. Should be good for about ten hours of play, I reckon.

KXVXII9X

Sigh... Sadly another Nintendo game I may skip. I was really excited for this. I think for Nintendo at this point, they need another heavy hitter. I talk highly of Nintendo usually and love their polish and presentation (those animations), but something in their recent games feel lacking.

Their games are becoming very dated (even for me who usually doesn't care as much), and it seems this game is mostly online focused with a smaller roster. There isn't as big of an evolution really. Feels kind of safe.

I may wait to see how Fire Emblem Three Hopes is, but I think Nintendo's next big home run will be Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, and Zelda BotW 2. They need to come out with a successor to the Switch soon. Once 2023 rolls around, the other consoles will start having their bigger titles.

Last edited:

Rykan

One of the most dissappointing games I've played recently, I'm not surprised by the rather low scores it's been getting after playing the Demo.

I've tried it last week and was pretty excited for it. Wasn't a fan of how they dump explanations on every single mechanics right at the start but whatever. Hopped online to play the game properly and quickly noticed that only the 2v2 option was available. As far as I'm concerned, this is a "Please consider a change of careers" decision. The mechanics are clearly not well suited for 2v2 play and the game becomes a complete clusterfuck with framerate drops all over place.

I could barely manage to finish the one game and promptly deleted the demo afterwards with nearly zero interest in purchasing the game after that. I'd imagine that the game is much better 1v1, but I'm not risking 60$ for it.

Top Bottom