• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers English Overview Trailer

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like Nintendo is the only people that can get away with selling a game that looks this light on content for full price.

Surely they could go free to play, and go wild on costumes/characters & they would probably make a killing.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I feel like Nintendo is the only people that can get away with selling a game that looks this light on content for full price.

Surely they could go free to play, and go wild on costumes/characters & they would probably make a killing.

Please no, we already have enough games of a service based around fucking the consumer over for profit by everyone else without Nintendo being infected by it too.

anthony2690

Banned
Please no, we already have enough games of a service based around fucking the consumer over for profit by everyone else without Nintendo being infected by it too.
Do you not think this looks like the kinda game that would benefit from it though?

I can imagine the online is going to be the mode people will be playing long term it will grant them a huge player base, throw in free arenas/characters, let people grind online or pay for costumes.

I mean it would beat dropping £50 for something that looks incredibly light on content.

Unless there is loads of stuff they haven't shown yet?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Do you not think this looks like the kinda game that would benefit from it though?

I can imagine the online is going to be the mode people will be playing long term it will grant them a huge player base, throw in free arenas/characters, let people grind online or pay for costumes.

I mean it would beat dropping £50 for something that looks incredibly light on content.

Unless there is loads of stuff they haven't shown yet?

I mean it would only benefit by essentially eroding the core value of rewarding the player. As the only way to make F2P work is by making a decision to actively make the player feel unrewarded unless they are paying, that's the whole basis the business model relies on.

Sure some of Nintendo's sports title like tennis and golf feel light on content, but normally they have a specific audience that seem to continue to play them long beyond you would consider reasonable.

I mean for example if you list down what you can do in Splatoon 2 is seems incredibly basic. It's the online gameplay that keeps people coming back, this might be the goal for strikers.

anthony2690

Banned
I mean it would only benefit by essentially eroding the core value of rewarding the player. As the only way to make F2P work is by making a decision to actively make the player feel unrewarded unless they are paying, that's the whole basis the business model relies on.

Sure some of Nintendo's sports title like tennis and golf feel light on content, but normally they have a specific audience that seem to continue to play them long beyond you would consider reasonable.

I mean for example if you list down what you can do in Splatoon 2 is seems incredibly basic. It's the online gameplay that keeps people coming back, this might be the goal for strikers.
6 items for each character for 100 coins doesn't really look that rewarding :p

Mario golf is another game I feel like would've benefited from free to play too (they didn't really update or add much to that game, or even support it that long)

I played Splatoon 2, enjoyed it quite a bit, the single player was pretty awful, but the multiplayer was dumb fun :) (didn't like the broadcast starting each day I put it on though)

I dropped off Splatoon quite quickly, but didn't it get really good support? (I could be wrong)

Jooxed

Gold Member

Mario golf is another game I feel like would've benefited from free to play too (they didn't really update or add much to that game, or even support it that long)

I played Splatoon 2, enjoyed it quite a bit, the single player was pretty awful, but the multiplayer was dumb fun :) (didn't like the broadcast starting each day I put it on though)

I dropped off Splatoon quite quickly, but didn't it get really good support? (I could be wrong)

Yeah it was supported really well for a year and it occasionally still gets new clothes and stuff. You should check out the octo expansion. The single player on that is much more robust and pretty enjoyable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My frens and I still play the Gamecube one when we do LAN parties.

I don't know if I'll like this one tho. One of things I like of the first one is it's simplicity, and this one seems a lot more over the top with the customization and other things.

Worth a shot for sure, tho.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I think the support for splatoon was certainly better than say Mario Golf, but its behind even the likes of Halo Infinite, outside of the octo expansion. I think the thing that draws people in is that its probably got the best shooter controls of any game (no I am not joking). But it's success is kind of built on how counter strike 1.6 or starcraft are played, within an expected set of rules that don't really change anymore.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I think the support for splatoon was certainly better than say Mario Golf, but its behind even the likes of Halo Infinite, outside of the octo expansion. I think the thing that draws people in is that its probably got the best shooter controls of any game (no I am not joking). But it's success is kind of built on how counter strike 1.6 or starcraft are played, within an expected set of rules that don't really change anymore.
Not to get too off track but I just wanted to say I agree. When I first saw Splatoon I thought this looks super dumb and for kids.. Then I got into ranked modes and was surprised at the depth to the multiplayer aspect.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like Nintendo could really blow Splatoon up if they wanted too with better ongoing support.

It's just great fun and like Jooxed Jooxed said, I also thought it looked like a dumb shooter for kids with the initial reveal, but it was a genuine surprise when I tried the second game online :)

Woopah

Did I miss something or did they give hardly any details on single player modes / local co op modes?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I hope there's more content in this. I feel like Nintendo games are SO incredibly light in content and replay value these past few releases while still being full price. I get it, Nintendo IPs, yadda yadda yadda. But it's insane to look at how shallow some of these games feel in terms of content and replayability compared to others at the same price.

nikos

Looking forward to this. Hopefully the game is fun rather than frustrating and gimmicky with all of the skills and abilities. Hopefully there's also enough content or fun factor to keep people playing online.

Played some Volta on FIFA 22 since it was added to PS+ and have been really enjoying it. I think it's just enough of an arcade game to make it fun while retaining the fundamentals of football.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Did I miss something or did they give hardly any details on single player modes / local co op modes?
They didn't go over it likely because no one cares about single player in Mario Strikers. It's mostly a multi-player/party game.

Cup battles from Super Mario Strikers and Charged seems to be back I guess, which was basically a tournament facing cpu's.

Woopah

They didn't go over it likely because no one cares about single player in Mario Strikers. It's mostly a multi-player/party game.

Cup battles from Super Mario Strikers and Charged seems to be back I guess, which was basically a tournament facing cpu's.
I quite liked doing the cups in co-op mode with my friend and unlocking new characters. I was hoping for something similar here.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I watched a gameplay video, I hate that some characters use their hands. In the video Bowser just throws the ball into the net for a goal. :messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom