• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s “Eternals” Reviews Are In; if you like Thor : The Dark World then you’ll love this!

T8SC

The last Jedi was the only good one in the trilogy sequel, though.

DependentSilkyAustrianpinscher-max-1mb.gif

Ionian

One film I seriously regret not watching in the cinema. My Father asked for it, put it on after downloading to check the quality and ended up fixated. Stunning work. Really hope for a sequel but the director is no spring-chicken. He did have one planned, maybe he might do it but if not I'm happy watching that one again and again.

sol_bad

I just realised that this has over 800 reviews on Google and is sitting at 3.9 out of 5.
It also has 750 reviews on Letterboxd and is sitting at 3.2 out of 5.

Initial audience reactions I guess?

sol_bad

I'm going to enjoy watching you twist yourself into a pretzel over this one.

I won't be twisting myself over anything. The critical reviews for Eternals is actually one of the first times in 13 years where I have actually been fascinated by the outcome. Pretty much all 25 movies released up until this point have had high praise from critics and audiences. This is the first time where an MCU movie hasn't received high critical praise so I'm even more curious to see what audience reactions are and if they match up with critics.

At the end of the day, I don't care what critics give movies. As an example, I was excited for and enjoyed both Antlers and Halloween Kills even though they got very average or below average reviews.

nush

Gold Member
I won't be twisting myself over anything. The critical reviews for Eternals is actually one of the first times in 13 years where I have actually been fascinated by the outcome. Pretty much all 25 movies released up until this point have had high praise from critics and audiences. This is the first time where an MCU movie hasn't received high critical praise so I'm even more curious to see what audience reactions are and if they match up with critics.

At the end of the day, I don't care what critics give movies. As an example, I was excited for and enjoyed both Antlers and Halloween Kills even though they got very average or below average reviews.

Go make the Eternals OT then, nobody's claimed that yet.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This one looks like the least interesting of all their movies. This phase has nothing to it other than maybe that kungfu one, that I haven't seen yet.
You should go see it. It is an amazing movie. Surely will be better than this.

Ionian

Of course you can, just know last Jedi sucks. I won't use a pronoun I don't know how you identify. 🤣

Never watched the last one in the cinema as so so digusted with that one. After watching a download, i'd made the right choice.

Snoke: Nobody
Rey: Nobody
Rose: Nobody
Finn: Nobody
Poe: Nobody

Yet despite Rey being nobody, she was ALL of the Jedi.

Also the Emporers death scene was lame as fuck and rushed. The Arc of The Covenant in the first Indiana Jones film was better when the Nazi opened it and that was claymation.

nush

Gold Member
since the trailer Eternals kinda looked like shit but something about it was nagging me like I've seen it before... until I realized it has this kind of feel to it.

gods-of-egypt-56768fbd023df.jpg
If you were going in blind and they were both opening the same weekend, which one would the normies choose based on the poster?

screenshot-2781_6grg.png

HoodWinked

It's impossible to see this from a blind perspective.

But they are weirdly similar.

One big star, Game of thrones actor(s), ensemble of nobodies. Generic costumes.

Alebrije

Well, few years ago we reached the state of "You watched one you watched all" on Marvel movies...

All is basically the same. So Inmortals wont be the exception.

TheGrat1

The Dark World is hands down the worst MCU film (I have not seen Black Widow or Shang Chi yet). Nobody who even worked on that film liked it, including the actors and director. I had rock bottom expectations and I was still disappointed. If Eternals is worse than that...
72992533.jpg

sol_bad

Gods of Egypt is a lot of fun.

I think I'm going to watch it now.
o_O

*EDIT*
God, it's over 2 hours.

*EDIT 2*
Such a terrible film. The acting is serviceable from Nikolaj and terrible from the main Aussie actor Brenton Thwaites. I completely forgot that Chadwick Boseman and Eloise Yung were in this, Chadwick is wasted and ultimately pointless. Bad CGI, bad composition, bland sound design, forgettable soundtrack and the story is stupid. Half the adventure leads to a dead-end making the previous 40 minutes pointless.
There are 2 times where the film tries to make you feel dread where characters could fall off cliff faces but they do anyway and easily survive. The final fight, Set stays in normal mode to fight Horus, then when a puny human intervenes he changes to Armour mode allowing Horus' eye to be stolen.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's 7 minutes over 2hrs.

Given how many Marvel movies breach 2hrs of repetitive bullshit, why is this a surprise? It's a pretty standard runtime for movies.

I remember not liking it much in the cinema but this thread has made me want to watch it again. I just forgot it went for this long.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've been mostly ignoring this whole ordeal because the movie has appeared so boring from all of the teasers, trailers, and released segments. It seems like something that not even clever, bait and switch marketing could make attractive to the lowest common denominator of comicbook movie viewers.

But most of all, when the art becomes the message, it's no longer art; when some new TV show or movie is revealed, and it's clearly being told and sold only to revel in how progressive or inclusive it is (even if it doesn't match up to reality at all - I.E. pandering), it's always boring and shitty because of course it would be as it was borne of such lazy origins. And more than that, it never feels like it's a genuine voice or vehicle for any of the marginalized or minority groups it's pretending to celebrate.

Roswell "New Mexico". That reboot of Charmed. Doogie Kamealoha M.D.. I could go on, and on, and on, as a new one is released every week it seems. But this movie, above all of them, seemed like the loudest and therefore the most hollow and disingenuous of them all. Just checkin' boxes.

Ionian

I've been mostly ignoring this whole ordeal because the movie has appeared so boring from all of the teasers, trailers, and released segments. It seems like something that not even clever, bait and switch marketing could make attractive to the lowest common denominator of comicbook movie viewers.

But most of all, when the art becomes the message, it's no longer art; when some new TV show or movie is revealed, and it's clearly being told and sold only to revel in how progressive or inclusive it is (even if it doesn't match up to reality at all - I.E. pandering), it's always boring and shitty because of course it would be as it was borne of such lazy origins. And more than that, it never feels like it's a genuine voice or vehicle for any of the marginalized or minority groups it's pretending to celebrate.

Roswell "New Mexico". That reboot of Charmed. Doogie Kamealoha M.D.. I could go on, and on, and on, as a new one is released every week it seems. But this movie, above all of them, seemed like the loudest and therefore the most hollow and disingenuous of them all. Just checkin' boxes.
Overthinking it, they knew it was shit and held it back at a guess. Winter market was empty.

nush

Gold Member
Overthinking it, they knew it was shit and held it back at a guess. Winter market was empty.

It's probably more complicated than that. These movies start development years before you even are aware they are even in development. This movie was conceived during the Trump administration, the woke cult and the rise of China's Box office. By the time it was ready the conditions had changed, Bidens in the House, Covid fucked shit up, Xitler is going all in on the being Mao 2.0 and the cultural pendulum has started to swing the other way.

It's following up both live Action Mulan and Chang Shi. There's also a new boss at Disney and as anyone who's worked through that as an employee they don't want to do anything to finish their predecessors projects or initiatives in favor of starting their own.

Marvel movies don't exist in a bubble.

Get woke, go broke. They can't handwave that truth anymore.

Ionian

It's probably more complicated than that. These movies start development years before you even are aware they are even in development. This movie was conceived during the Trump administration, the woke cult and the rise of China's Box office. By the time it was ready the conditions had changed, Bidens in the House, Covid fucked shit up, Xitler is going all in on the being Mao 2.0 and the cultural pendulum has started to swing the other way.

It's following up both live Action Mulan and Chang Shi. There's also a new boss at Disney and as anyone who's worked through that as an employee they don't want to do anything to finish their predecessors projects or initiatives in favor of starting their own.

Marvel movies don't exist in a bubble.

Get woke, go broke. They can't handwave that truth anymore.

Hadn't thought about it like that, just thought shelved as cinemas were closed and was a stupid idea to make it as a new potential franchise of those characters. Marvel generally made bad ones work so some failure for them. Iron Man being popular was astonishing as the comic wan't even that popular. Same with GOTG.

Very interesting to see it's fate at this stage. What was the shitty show they did with Arya Stark actress (Maise Williams), I don't remember. Doubt many do, that had the same fate. From Cinema to streaming immediately and simply forgotten.

Last edited:
Top Bottom