• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy Sells Most On PS5 In UK Physical Game Chart

Three

Interestingly, nobody ever tries to extrapolate JP data to the rest of the world and draw absolutely wild conclusions on the market share of Nintendo versus its competition, it only happens with UK numbers.

My point is the same since the beginning: the data is valid for what it covers, but what it covers is small, shrinking and specific to one market.

The argument about micro transactions is interesting too, if it’s that big doesn’t that make extrapolating UK data even more meaningless?
Who has extrapolated UK data to the rest of the world? I haven't seen that at all. I've seen people hypothesise about the cause but not extrapolate the data.
For what it's worth people have extrapolated JP data to the rest of the world. What I don't see though are people going to media create or npd threads to say how small a country JP is and how meaningless the charts are because it's stupid.

Nobody is extrapolating UK data but including for example Fortnite revenue to discredit how meaningless/irrelevant and small NPD data is is daft because Fortnite is not in any of that data. I hope you can draw the same parallel for GFK data.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
U.K. data generally can give a good preview to the global sales on the consoles. Same thing was said last generation when PS4 had huge sales difference with Xbox. When more data was released nothing changed. PS4 lead by the same amount and sometimes more.

Digital won’t make sales any better for Xbox. People by digital on PlayStation also.

MonarchJT

Banned
Who has extrapolated UK data to the rest of the world? I haven't seen that at all. I've seen people hypothesise about the cause but not extrapolate the data.
For what it's worth people have extrapolated JP data to the rest of the world. What I don't see though are people going to media create or npd threads to say how small a country JP is and how meaningless the charts are because it's stupid.

Nobody is extrapolating UK data but including for example Fortnite revenue to discredit how meaningless/irrelevant and small NPD data is is daft because Fortnite is not in any of that data. I hope you can draw the same parallel for GFK data.
three listen no one is saying that this data are useless. Is useless the way how those are presented especially if someone with a little know about sales know how much the market has changed. If someone try to understand how the sales are going watching just at this data ..well he is clueless and have no idea of how the market is going. Is this the thing

Last edited:

Three

three listen no one is saying that this data are useless. Is useless the way how those are presented especially if someone with a little know about sales know how much the market has changed. If someone try to understand how the sales are going watching just at this data ..well he is clueless and have no idea of how the market is going. Is this the thing
How exactly are they presented? other than "this is the UK boxed charts and these are the splits" . I think it's more people being offended by the facts presented. If they have any other facts to add they are free to present them too. They don't. They just discredit the data without actually adding anything.

MonarchJT

Banned
How exactly are they presented? other than "this is the UK boxed charts and these are the splits" . I think it's more people being offended by the facts presented. If they have any other facts to add they are free to present them too. They don't. They just discredit the data without actually adding anything.
why people should be offended ??? if you are pointing to the fact that this figure would illustrate an Xbox decline we all know that in uk the series s (digital console) has practically sold as much as the x series which is the only Xbox for which people can buy physical games shoed in this data. . So it is highly likely that digital sales will be very differents. Plus after seeing Avengers arrive on gamepass so fast maybe people are waiting and it's no one's fault if the service works.

Last edited:

Three

why people should be offended ??? if you are pointing to the fact that this figure would illustrate an Xbox decline we all know that in uk the series s (digital console) has practically sold as much as the x series which is the only Xbox for which people can buy physical games shoed in this data. . So it is highly likely that digital sales will be very differents. Plus after seeing Avengers arrive on gamepass so fast maybe people are waiting and it's no one's fault if the service works.
Ok you're hypothesising the same thing as others too, nothing wrong with that. Something definitely wrong with saying the UK is a small country and comparing it to an italian single store though. You're talking about the xbox's second largest market. If you have data that shows this split will be different with digital you can present it but nobody can and nobody will. Instead they will argue to high heaven how irrelevant and small the concrete data we actually do have is because... reasons.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Ok you're hypothesising the same thing as others too, nothing wrong with that. Something definitely wrong with saying the UK is a small country and comparing it to an italian single store though. You're talking about the xbox's second largest market. If you have data that shows this split will be different with digital you can present it but nobody can and nobody will. Instead they will argue to high heaven how irrelevant and small the concrete data we actually do have is because... reasons.
i compared to a chain of 500 stores .not one

You're making way too many assumptions. physical sales are part of the picture, but there is also competing games & digital sales that are likely a factor. Right now on PS5 there isn't a lot of new titles to contend with.

Gamepass thus far hasn't hurt game sales on new titles.
You could be right but it doesn’t explain other data we have like the split we have with a publisher like Capcom:

Surely physical vs digital and install base differences alone doesn’t account for the terrible splits we are also seeing here for Xbox in Capcom’s sales data. People are too quick to dismiss UK physical sales data as one region and being physical only but all the excuses aren’t covering up for the fact that 3rd party aren’t doing too hot on Xbox.

Last edited:

reksveks

3rd party aren’t doing too hot on Xbox.
Ubisoft is basically in line with market splits

Bn4PyB8.png

Don't get what happen in Q1 2021 (CY) but if the trend of the last 2 Q's continues, maybe MS should be worried but it's hard to argue that this is constant trend towards Sony.

ZAHJ5Vo.png

yazenov

How long untill retailers stop selling Xboxs because their boxed software sales are becoming more irrelevant going forward.

On the other hand, PS5 will be given the most exposure in terms of view and shelf space since they are getting huge margins on every software sales.

It will be tough for MS to convince retailers to care for their product and waste valuable space on a product that pushes their customers towards digital / rental service where they are little benefits for retailers.

PS5 will dominate retail as it will be pushed hard. Employees of retail will convince consumers on the fence to get a Playstation no doubt because of higher profits on software.

Pull n Pray

Banned
As of earlier today, Guardians of the Galaxy had been rated by 421 players on Xbox and 246 players on PlayStation. Both stores require a digital purchase to rate the game. So unless Xbox gamers are just much more likely to rate games they buy for some reason, this game is selling more digital copies on Xbox than on PlayStation.

Last edited:

skit_data

As of earlier today, Guardians of the Galaxy had been rated by 421 players on Xbox and 246 players on PlayStation. Both stores require a purchase to rate a game. So if UK physical sales represent overall sales, this would mean that for some reason Xbox players are 7.8 times more likely to review a purchased game.
Metacritic user ratings doesn’t agree with your conclusion

Topher

Gold Member
You don't have to buy a game to leave a metacritic review.

I can't even find the Xbox version of this game on Metacritic.

Where do you find the Xbox and PS gamer reviews?

Mr Moose

As of earlier today, Guardians of the Galaxy had been rated by 421 players on Xbox and 246 players on PlayStation. Both stores require a digital purchase to rate the game. So unless Xbox gamers are just much more likely to rate games they buy for some reason, this game is selling more digital copies on Xbox than on PlayStation.
I can't see this anywhere on PS5, is it only available on PS4?

MrFunSocks

Banned
How long untill retailers stop selling Xboxs because their boxed software sales are becoming more irrelevant going forward.

On the other hand, PS5 will be given the most exposure in terms of view and shelf space since they are getting huge margins on every software sales.

It will be tough for MS to convince retailers to care for their product and waste valuable space on a product that pushes their customers towards digital / rental service where they are little benefits for retailers.

PS5 will dominate retail as it will be pushed hard. Employees of retail will convince consumers on the fence to get a Playstation no doubt because of higher profits on software.
You don't know how retail works if you think that stores make huge margins on console games. Most of the time they sell at break even at RRP. When they sell below that they often sell at a loss as a loss leader to get people in to the store.

This also overlooks the fact that you're acting like Sony's physical sales are massive - they're not. They're like 20% of their total software sales and shrinking every quarter. As someone above posted, most publishers are now reporting over 90% sales being digital.

Again, this thread is comparing like 5-10% of the UK game sales and extrapolating it to mean far more than it does. 2 of the 4 models of current gen console, the only consoles actually selling since previous gen sales have just cratered (sony sold 200k PS4s worldwide last quarter!), are digital only. We have some data suggesting the Series S is selling roughly 50-60% of xbox's sales, which means 50-60% of customers literally cannot buy physical games.

Metacritic user ratings doesn’t agree with your conclusion
Metacritic user ratings are even more pointless than UK physical sales numbers.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned

Where do you find the Xbox and PS gamer reviews?
I found them through my consoles (Series X / PS4).

PS fanboys love Uksales chart as PS always win lol.

UK physical sales chart where actual units sold are never revealed lol.Actual unit sold are in 3000 or something. So even if 80% more doesn't matter much. Game didn't sell much overall afaik.

UK physical sales chart most useless sales chart ever since majority of sales digital

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I also think it’s worth mentioning that while the percentage of Digital Edition PS5s out there is not as high as the XSS relative to the Series X, it still is an impactful number of consoles and consumers that don’t have access to physical copies on the PS5 side as well but are still buying games.

Bottom line, digital sales for PS5 are going to be very high also. Hell, I own a disc drive PS5 and still buy most of my games digitally. I’m sure many others do that as well.
True.

And 20% of 14 million (PS5) and 40% of 8 million (Xbox) wouldn't be much different. It's 2.8 million vs. 3.2 million. The difference ends up almost negligible.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PS fanboys love Uksales chart as PS always win lol.

UK physical sales chart where actual units sold are never revealed lol.Actual unit sold are in 3000 or something. So even if 80% more doesn't matter much. Game didn't sell much overall afaik.

UK physical sales chart most useless sales chart ever since majority of sales digital
Doesn't really matter because we know by the latest numbers that the physical sales in the UK represent 40% of the overall UK gaming market. That's too significant a portion to simply brush aside.

oldergamer

Jumping to a lot of conclusions dude. look at the stats for digital sales. Physical sales is dying. I haven't bought a disc in about 3 years ( unless it was a gift ).

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Not gonna quote all of them as that would take too long but:

I could post tons of similar posts each week, I’ve stopped caring about individual opinions but data is data.

reksveks

True.

And 20% of 14 million (PS5) and 40% of 8 million (Xbox) wouldn't be much different. It's 2.8 million vs. 3.2 million. The difference ends up almost negligible.
is that the way that we should do the maths?

Console Sales * digital/physical sku ratio * attach rate * some factor about User behaviour that we can't tell = Physical sales

Lets fix the attach rate for both consoles as 0.1% (ignore this cause its the wrong number clearly but doesn't affect the ratio
Sony
14m*80%*0.1% = 11200 sku's

MS
8m*60%*0.1% = 4800 sku's

It's all hypothetically but that's the right way to look at it, its effectively 11.2 applicable consoles vs 4.8m applicable consoles (think thats a 70% to 30% ratio). I am quite interesting to get UK console sales numbers broken by sku now.

Last edited:

Three

Not gonna quote all of them as that would take too long but:

I could post tons of similar posts each week, I’ve stopped caring about individual opinions but data is data.
How is that extrapolating to the rest of the world? They are talking about retailers in the UK and predicting that high street retailers might not sell xbox's due to no return on physical software sales. Whether this happens or not is debatable but that is not extrapolating to the rest of the world.

DeepSpace5D

is that the way that we should do the maths?

Console Sales * digital/physical sku ratio * attach rate * some factor about User behaviour that we can't tell = Physical sales

Lets fix the attach rate for both consoles as 0.1% (ignore this cause its the wrong number clearly but doesn't affect the ratio
Sony
14m*80%*0.1% = 11200 sku's

MS
8m*60%*0.1% = 4800 sku's

It's all hypothetically but that's the right way to look at it, its effectively 11.4 applicable consoles vs 4.8m applicable consoles (think thats a 70% to 30% ratio). I am quite interesting to get UK console sales numbers broken by sku now.
The key issue I see with this equation is that the Series X and the standard edition PS5 both have the option to buy games digitally, whereas the digital edition can only buy games digitally.

I’m not saying there is a math formula that can give exact numbers for any of this, only that I don’t think that 80% and 60% figures would be accurate unless there was only an option to buy physically for those versions.

Last edited:

reksveks

The key issue I see with this equation is that the Series X and the standard edition PS5 both have the option to buy games digitally, whereas the digital edition can only buy games digitally.

I’m not saying there is a math formula that can give exact numbers for any of this, only that I don’t think that 80% and 60% figures would be accurate unless there was only an option to buy physically for those versions.
definitely there are a couple of assumptions around the user behaviour between the sku's and the platform holders. suspect that there isn't a way to guesstimate that via any of the public data (maybe using physical/digital splits before the XSS and ps5 de) but might be worth graphing it out?

Top Bottom