• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered has released on Steam/Steam Deck | Digital Foundry Breakdown Review Released

Mr Moose

Right so you cant actually enter your apartment?, whats the point of it being on your map then?
You go there sometimes after missions and shit from what I remember, been a while since I played this game though.
Edit: Unless I am thinking about the lab.

Last edited:
Seems like it yes, but not the RT, and that's what seems to bring even high-end gaming PCs to their knees if you crack everything up (at least it seems very hard to maintain a flawless 60fps).
Alex himself says the rt setting not the fidelity mode is the high setting (performance rt seems to be between medium and high) so my point still stands

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is it though? Are you standing 1 foot from your 65" tv or watching games via binoculars? I'd rather see it less zoomed in for real world.
That said, max PC does look better even from normal distance, just not sure I'd call it "drastic"

Nope, its pretty drastic. My 55 inch TV is 2 metres away from where I sit usually.

This is a great port and runs great even on my ancient PC albeit with an RTX 3080 graphics card. The only things missing are a benchmark mode and an option to limit the game's framerate (I have had to use RTSS for that for now). There is an option to target certain framerates such as 60 fps but this does not limit the framerate to 60 fps on my G-SYNC monitor and instead runs uncapped unless I use RTSS.

Also, HBAO+ is embarrassingly broken in this game despite NVIDIA having released a game-ready driver for this game (v516.94) so would think they would have noticed this during testing? Apparently not because SSAO looks miles (morales!) better as HBAO+ doesn't look it is working at all on my PC as cars lack ambient shadowing underneath that shows when you use SSAO.

Last edited:

yamaci17

PC blows console out of the water was that ever in doubt? Your GPU alone is the cost of a PS5.
what can I say, i live in a poor country yet got the 3070 when it was released and it did not make a dent on my savings. it also helped that i sold my old GPU though

Last edited:

yamaci17

That's definitely not true, it's not just a thing you switch on. They did a lot of optimization to make it look that good while also running at 60fps on PS5. The "simple" solution would be to just raytrace into an exact copy of the real scene, but that's not what you do because it would be expensive as hell. Even the max RT setting in the PC version of SM doesn't do that.

I doubt you will get 60+ with the highest RT setting (might depend on your CPU though), but let us know how it goes.
i'm mostly getting around 55-60 and sometimes north of it at highest rt settings LOL! still cpu bottlenecked a bit my 2700x endured :messenger_grinning_smiling: had some dips to 50s at certain times but mostly hovers above 60. with VRR they didn't felt bad and it was very playable.

this footage did not need dlss quality, i couldn't estimate it would perform this good :D i will do a native 1440p capture too

i will have to evaluate, i can get a locked 60 with high rt geometry+very high resolution... but geometry seems to be adding a lot !

example:
(native 1440p)
high geometry
nNtlwNT.jpg

very high geometry
qKiV4Ph.jpg

no rt

M7CRWQ0.jpg

Last edited:

Three

Aside from RT quite huge difference, there is no real other differences.
And you do need good pc to push RT, so that's good they are utilizing it for sure !

But I always wonder this.... why are there so many options? Why we need traffic at very low, low, medium, hard, very high.... if all settings look the same or very close and do not affect performance more than 1%.
There are few settings like that it seems (as in many many pc games) that serve no other purpose than a way to lower your image quality without real benefits to performance.
Why have these options at all?! It's only a time waster for the person testing it.

MORE BETTER IMPACTFUL SETTINGS. NOT JUST MORES SETTINGS !
It would depend on the system, that's why. For example if you have an 8 core CPU and plenty of RAM it may make no difference to performance to reduce traffic but if you're running on a poor single core CPU and lower memory that setting might make a huge difference for you.

yamaci17

Pentium 4 mustard race, reporting in. I can get a playable 7fps, but once I activate RT the performance is rather poor. I'll try upgrading to a core 2 duo tomorrow and will report back.
he probably meant poor single thread performance

winjer

Gold Member
Pentium 4 mustard race, reporting in. I can get a playable 7fps, but once I activate RT the performance is rather poor. I'll try upgrading to a core 2 duo tomorrow and will report back.

I updated to the Pentium 5 at 7Ghz. Got double the performance.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
New monitor arrives tomorrow and I think I'll pick this up to support Sony and nixxes and to perve on the real deal raytracing. It looks glorious.

Never thought a sony game would be the thing to demonstrate the sheer technical gap between PCs and consoles in 2022.

Valedix

Gold Member
New monitor arrives tomorrow and I think I'll pick this up to support Sony and nixxes and to perve on the real deal raytracing. It looks glorious.

Never thought a sony game would be the thing to demonstrate the sheer technical gap between PCs and consoles in 2022.
What monitor did you get?

sachos

Damn those PS5 load times and damn those PC reflections. Interesting explanation by Nixxies why the game is so damn CPU intensive, it seems the PS5 I/O hardware really takes a lot of weight off the CPU while on PC its the CPU that does all the decompression stuff.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
PC can't match the PS5's I/O.
Direct storage needs to hurry up.
Objectively true, which is the best kind of true. As a mostly PC gamer. it'd be nice to have direct storage, but for how it's been implemented thus far in PS5, the I/O has really only given tangible benefits that impact gameplay in load times, which if the difference is usually 3-5 seconds...I don't really feel like I'm missing out on a feature, exclusive to console or not, that has any real tangible impact on how I play games. It's like vanilla with sprinkles on it...It's nice, but sprinkles wouldn't be the reason I decide to get an ice cream..... But it is sprinkles though...which is nice.

S0ULZB0URNE

Objectively true, which is the best kind of true. As a mostly PC gamer. it'd be nice to have direct storage, but for how it's been implemented thus far in PS5, the I/O has really only given tangible benefits that impact gameplay in load times, which if the difference is usually 3-5 seconds...I don't really feel like I'm missing out on a feature, exclusive to console or not, that has any real tangible impact on how I play games. It's like vanilla with sprinkles on it...It's nice, but sprinkles wouldn't be the reason I decide to get an ice cream..... But it is sprinkles though...which is nice.
The real idea of where things stand will be if PS5 only games come to PC as thus far we have PS4 games with added PS5 I/O sugar sprinkled on top instead of being in the flower.

Might I go off a bit and add... If Spider-Man 2 is baked with only PS5's ingredients that it should look significantly better.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The real idea of where things stand will be if PS5 only games come to PC as thus far we have PS4 games with added PS5 I/O sugar sprinkled on top instead of being in the flower.

Might I go off a bit and add... If Spider-Man 2 is baked with only PS5's ingredients that it should look significantly better.
I'm genuinely surprised how long it's taken this far into a new gen to have exclusive next-gen titles. Games have and will almost always certainly look best on PC on whatever the most current hardware is available, but it's pretty much always been since the PS2 era that "next-gen" consoles set the baseline standard, and we've mostly just been relegated to suped up versions of last-gen tech these last few years. I look forward to next-gen exclusives that will only play on XsX/PS5-level hardware. My GPU keeps getting stronger, and just gives me overhead for games that have come out in years prior. My 1080ti could have easily last me another 2 years at med/high settings on just about every game it feels like. Granted, DLSS and RTX was enough to finally get me to switch, but if I couldn't get my hands on next-gen hardware, my 2017 GPU would have still been pushing along nicely.

I really hope Spider-Man 2 doesn't have a PS4 release. Even though I have no plans for a PS5 purchase until the inevitable revision, I still want to see new tech being used.

I'm genuinely surprised how long it's taken this far into a new gen to have exclusive next-gen titles. Games have and will almost always certainly look best on PC on whatever the most current hardware is available, but it's pretty much always been since the PS2 era that "next-gen" consoles set the baseline standard, and we've mostly just been relegated to suped up versions of last-gen tech these last few years. I look forward to next-gen exclusives that will only play on XsX/PS5-level hardware. My GPU keeps getting stronger, and just gives me overhead for games that have come out in years prior. My 1080ti could have easily last me another 2 years at med/high settings on just about every game it feels like. Granted, DLSS and RTX was enough to finally get me to switch, but if I couldn't get my hands on next-gen hardware, my 2017 GPU would have still been pushing along nicely.

I really hope Spider-Man 2 doesn't have a PS4 release. Even though I have no plans for a PS5 purchase until the inevitable revision, I still want to see new tech being used.
I might have to wait for a pro as well since Sony isn’t giving me the option to buy the console in black

Droxcy

Hardly. There was a time when pirates had games months before you could buy them.
They had insiders in the CD printing factory.

Also stores breaking street date we really don't see that very often anymore hasn't happened since MW3 we all had that game like 2 weeks early playing online with devs and just 500-1k at least those were fun times.

Played some of it tonight game runs solid 4k with DLSS and everything maxed fun zipping around NYC. I still want a realistic driving simulator/truck sim in a map this size that'd be sick.

hlm666

Damn those PS5 load times and damn those PC reflections. Interesting explanation by Nixxies why the game is so damn CPU intensive, it seems the PS5 I/O hardware really takes a lot of weight off the CPU while on PC its the CPU that does all the decompression stuff.
link to explanation? the one I saw said it was a sudden increase of drawcalls from the way they do culling causing stutters and not from asset decompression.

Also stores breaking street date we really don't see that very often anymore hasn't happened since MW3 we all had that game like 2 weeks early playing online with devs and just 500-1k at least those were fun times.

Played some of it tonight game runs solid 4k with DLSS and everything maxed fun zipping around NYC. I still want a realistic driving simulator/truck sim in a map this size that'd be sick.
Yeah in the old days you had a lot of competition between stores I think nowadays only GameStop is left.

Hot5pur

The gameplay in this one is so-so but I enjoyed the recreation of new york enough to probably pick this up again. It's around $45 on key sites, but will likely wait for the $20-30 range.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup. Mom and pop shops were the best.

I never played games that early before release date as I'd never ask game stores that early, but did my share of playing games a few days before launch. If I was in the area, I'd stop by and ask they had it. Yup, he'd grab me a copy from a wholesale case from the back room.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Good catch, and I'm a bit confused about what Alex is trying to say here; he made it seem as though having a higher throughput SSD would solve the issue. If Spiderman Remastered, which is streaming anywhere from 25mb-200mb from storage is heavy on PC CPUs, what would CPU performance for ~2gb+ streaming requirements look like?

Good catch, and I'm a bit confused about what Alex is trying to say here; he made it seem as though having a higher throughput SSD would solve the issue. If Spiderman Remastered, which is streaming anywhere from 25mb-200mb from storage is heavy on PC CPUs, what would CPU performance for ~2gb+ streaming requirements look like?
If I understand it correctly, he's saying having a faster SSD won't help because the decompression is CPU limited. It's already on a drive capable of 3.5GB/s in their test but it is only topping out at 500mb at the highest because the decompression is happening on the CPU and the CPU is already busy doing other things in the game.

The PS5 has dedicated decompression hardware so it doesn't put an extra load on the CPU.

In theory, DirectStorage on Windows would help by offloading some of that decompression/streaming to the GPU which is a lot better at running things in parallel than the CPU.

That said, load times for me are 3-4 seconds while the PS5 is 1-2 seconds so I'm not complaining all that much at the moment.

hlm666

He's sayng data streaming is probably not a major issue with those low datarates and the real problem is BVH work as he says at the end "very cpu limited with rt on". Then over in the text article he also said nixxes are looking to improve the BVH performance in an upcoming patch.

Look at this video 1440p no RT is around 35% cpu use, then look at the RT on segment and it jumps to around ~50% average and hits the 60's at one moment when he's is stationary on a building looking at reflections.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's exactly the difference I was expecting for those games using PS5 custom I/O. Around 3 times less loading on PS5 (vs PC and XSX).

BTW the mere difference between i9 and ryzen 5/9 shows the bottlenecks on PC I/O are not the CPU.
Yeah yeah. If you ignore the fact, that shaders are precompiled on console and has to be compiled on PC. And if I am not wrong game does not use the direct storage api.

There would still be difference with PS5 advantage, but ignoring major point, why PC loading times is probably always going to be slower, isn't best way how to handle the conversation.

Top Bottom