• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Avengers... WTF?!

Aion002

Tl;dr: It's broken. Too many glitches. I can't comprehend how they could release this and even after a year the game still is a mess. Even Anthem had less issues.

The Avengers Dog GIF

I played the beta on the ps4 before launch and I had a couple of issues with it, specially bugs and glitches, so I decided to avoid it, imagining that eventually they would fix most of the problems and in a next gen console or on pc things would end up better.

I saw the game on sale a couple of times, but something always stopped me from buying (other games and the bad memories from the beta mostly), thankfully the game ended up on gamepass this week, so today, after a couple of beers, I decided to check it out...
Arrested Development Reaction GIF

Well, after enduring a initial slow walking session controlling a kid, the game gave me the control of Thor! And guess what? The game crashed... It was the first time since I bought the Series S at launch that a game crashed on it, the Xbox showed an error message and closed the game... I said: WTF?

I decided to launch the game again and luckily the game had saved so I started right back where stopped.

Graphically the game looks great on the Series S, at 1080p and 60 frames, the gameplay is the same from the beta, but at 60 frames everything plays better.

I carried on playing, completed the tutorial and got in to the next mission controlling the kid from the beginning that now has super powers, similar to Luffy from One Piece, and I actually enjoyed the gameplay a little, it was quite generic but fun.

However... Guess again? Yes! The game crashed again... But I didn't want to give up so I tried again and this time I was able to play 2 missions in a row without any major problem. Yay right?

So I decided to play online... The matchmaking worked pretty well, so I got in quite fast in a survival stage. The stage loaded and the players got in the position to start the wave... That never started... After 10 minutes waiting for something, a player warned the party that this happens sometimes so we have to restart the stage, so we did it... And the game crashed...

I am persistent, so I said:

One More Time Nicksplat GIF by Hey Arnold

I decided to try again the same survival mission, but this time solo with bots and it worked, the wave started and I started blasting robots with Iron Man, when suddenly an annoying sound started coming from my tv, a scratching sound that made me think that the tv was dying or something. However, after pressing the home button on the controller, the sound stopped... So yes... The game glitched again...

I took a deep breath and went search over the internet if this is normal... Which unsurprisingly it is.

So I deleted the game and here I am sharing this.

Ah! The other stuff: The gameplay was fine (but seemed a little shallow), the graphics are pretty, the loads are fast, the customization aspect is lacking and the story didn't grab me much.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh I still like it and can just play missions for a fun time sync. I didn’t see many glitches/bugs though. That’s news to me.

Reizo Ryuu

Weird, I played through it on an xbox one, yes an OG one, and there were a couple of glitches in later missions (the worst one being falling through the map because of the xb1's slow ass loading), but I've had no such glitches on my xsx, like at all.

Aion002

Weird, I played through it on an xbox one, yes an OG one, and there were a couple of glitches in later missions (the worst one being falling through the map because of the xb1's slow ass loading), but I've had no such glitches on my xsx, like at all.

I played it on xcloud the other day and got further than you did without a single crash or bug or glitch.

Don't know about the Series S, but I played the campaign on PS4 Pro. Never crashed. And I did all three expansion campaigns on the PS5. Wakanda is the best of the three.

rose love GIF by The Bachelor Australia

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

Jokes apart, maybe is the 60 frames mode that I was playing? I dunno... :messenger_sad_relieved:

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
I played an hour or so this morning on the Series X and didn't experience any issues.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. False start with the comic collecting little girl - talk about killing any excitement :messenger_tears_of_joy: But once it got going and the bridge stuff started I liked it enough. Enjoyed the way they let you play as different characters during the tutorial.

I only played (and will only play) single player, but I didn't see a huge difference in quality between this and the Arkham games, or Spider-Man tbh. Maybe it's downhill from here. Not intending to continue, immersed in Borderlands 3 right now, but I'll come back to it later for sure.

j0hnnix

I bought it on a sale, had one crash with the series X. I do enjoy the individual stories, Black Panthers was great. I just don't try to go into end game, feel the grind is not for me or the game really doesn't entice me enough to go for end game.

ManaByte

I only played (and will only play) single player, but I didn't see a huge difference in quality between this and the Arkham games, or Spider-Man tbh. Maybe it's downhill from here. Not intending to continue, immersed in Borderlands 3 right now, but I'll come back to it later for sure.

There are a couple of spots in the campaign where you need to grind the MP style missions to progress. But those are few.

There are a couple of spots in the campaign where you need to grind the MP style missions to progress. But those are few.
Sounds bearable. Actually got me interested in the Guardians of the Galaxy game too - I hadn't watched the trailer for that, assuming it would be terrible, but looks intriguing. Obviously waiting for reviews, and a deep sale even then...

Rush2112

Banned
I wonder if Avengers' negative reception will hurt sales of guardians of galaxy. Karma has a funny way of catching up with greedy publishers sometimes.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Played the shit out of this when it came out. As per usual, they let it die with SLOOOOOW content releases and average end game.

Shame, there was a great game hidden under all that mediocrity. Maybe gamepass will bring it back from the dead....

the game certainly has its issues. Not that many left. But there are still some there from launch unfortunately. But in the year i've played on PS4 Pro and now PS5 i've def never had a crash. The most egregious issues i've run into are enemies clipping into the walls...or loading into an area and all the enemies are missing.

Plantoid

Game is utter shit, downloaded on series x just to see for myself, played until I was controlling Thor, then I immediately uninstalled

Graphics are nice but the combat is horrendous.

Don't even waste tour time downloading it

kiphalfton

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

It kinda amazing how badly they fucked this up.
I liked (past tense) crystal dynamics, but I can understand why people think the new Tomb Raider games suck in comparison to the old games after the first two games were essentially carbon copies of each other (and although I haven't played the third game, I wouldn't be surprised if it is as well).

In regards to Avengers, I went from being hyped when I saw the teaser trailer to utter disappointment when I found out about what the game actually is, and bring even more disappointed when I actually played the first mission of the game and each character was sluggish, underpowered, and now fun playing as.

So long story short, crystal dynamics has fallen several pegs in my book and I can't help but not care about any future games they come out with.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Its garbage tier as well 2/3 tomb raiders games werent good, the first one was the best one and went downhill from there, avengers isnt even worth describing how bad it was, and with MS known mismanagement when it comes to content, having a new developer lean on an incompetent one does not seem to bode well.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Marvel Avengers is so sad to me because they have all of these comic heroes but instead of going in on it and making them look larger than life and giving them more fun costumes they all look so weird and frumpy.
Not even a poster of Miss Marvel was allowed to exist without being censored and changing the leotard to shorts lol.

I get it with movies because they're real people and things need to work etc and might look silly with real people.
But a video game isn't a movie, they just look boring and it makes me not want to put time into unlocking costumes.

Its garbage tier as well 2/3 tomb raiders games werent good, the first one was the best one and went downhill from there, avengers isnt even worth describing how bad it was, and with MS known mismanagement when it comes to content, having a new developer lean on an incompetent one does not seem to bode well.

I hate the Tomb Raider reboot so much.... It's just not Lara Croft anymore, the original character was so much cooler... I wish they gave a Japanese studio a chance with the character at least then we might get some of the old Lara back. She was meant to be a larger than life action hero not an emotional depressed wreck with daddy issues.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity do you generally use sleep mode, and hop between games and apps? I see plenty of store page problems as well with people complaining of game crashes or other problems but in reality the Xbox needs to be reset. Not saying you haven't or that the game(s) don't have issues, but I've noticed it as well across my One X and Series X. Not often thankfully, as I usually turn off my machines, but if I jump around a lot, even browsing the store, it'll start to slow down and have issues. Nothing a reset won't cure though.

I'm glad I didn't buy this, and that it hit Gamepass, but damn is that install huge. Like CoD yuuuge.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Game is utter shit, downloaded on series x just to see for myself, played until I was controlling Thor, then I immediately uninstalled

Graphics are nice but the combat is horrendous.

Don't even waste tour time downloading it
I don’t really understand the complaints about combat, it’s basically exactly the same as all the other games like this that people love like Batman Arkham series, Spider-Man, god of war, etc. Normal attack, heavy attack, dodge, non interactive finishing moves, heavily telegraphed when you’re about to get hit and have to dodge.

Hinedorf

Banned
Imagine jumping in at launch after paying full price, the game has gotten progressively worse and has always been broken on par with Cyberpunk. How there wasn't a similar uproar is beyond me but I've sworn off ever buying Marvel games

in what way has it gotten worse?? that doesn't make any sense
As the guy with 1000+ hours combined on PS4 and Steam, I'll field this one.

They removed quite a few earnable cosmetics. Used to be you get a new skin for each character once they hit level 50. Gone. Patterns that drop from chests that can give skins? Also gone. Cosmetic vendor that has items that can be bought with in-game currency? Neutered to only having 4 items at a time with a 24 hour cycle when it used to be around 20 items that cycle every hour. Rolling perfect gear is hidden behind about 10 layers of RNG. They tried to alleviate this by limiting what type of stats can be rolled depending on what type of gear it is, the downside is new players can not match the old players since they're forced to roll with less than ideal stats. They removed quite a few gear grind spots. Limited some mission types to be dailies/weeklies. Hid some mission types behind RNG. They nerfed exp gain only to start selling exp boosters. There's probably more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

It has improved in more ways than it has become worse but it's far from good.

Wizz-Art

I'm playing through the campaign on Xcloud om my XSX and haven't had the game crash on me or bug out. Won't ever play the multiplayer because members here say it's bad.

Fredrik

No crashes here on XSX, or even bugs worth mentioning. But it feels janky, cam is too close to the character for the gameplay. Black Widow looks surprisingly hot though for a western game, maybe there is hope for Joanna in Perfect Dark after all.

Aion002

Just out of curiosity do you generally use sleep mode, and hop between games and apps? I see plenty of store page problems as well with people complaining of game crashes or other problems but in reality the Xbox needs to be reset. Not saying you haven't or that the game(s) don't have issues, but I've noticed it as well across my One X and Series X. Not often thankfully, as I usually turn off my machines, but if I jump around a lot, even browsing the store, it'll start to slow down and have issues. Nothing a reset won't cure though.

I'm glad I didn't buy this, and that it hit Gamepass, but damn is that install huge. Like CoD yuuuge.
I normaly use the full shutdown option, when I am not using a console, I like to completely turn it off (it's a habit that I have since ever, I go as far as removing the power plug).

However, I do use the quick resume function every time. Most games that I play allows and I never had any issues with it, so I end up never closing the games.

I was surprised that the game has this feature, since most "always on games" (like Destiny 2 or For Honor) don't support the quick resume.

I just played a little on the xcloud with my smarphone... A mission glitched out and I couldn't advance until I restarted in a checkpoint.

Maybe the game just hates me.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Plantoid

I don’t really understand the complaints about combat, it’s basically exactly the same as all the other games like this that people love like Batman Arkham series, Spider-Man, god of war, etc. Normal attack, heavy attack, dodge, non interactive finishing moves, heavily telegraphed when you’re about to get hit and have to dodge.
I also hate batman combat... Can't comment on spiderman tho, as I haven't played it

rubenburgt

This game looks so interested, but there are so many negative reviews and scores about it that prevents me from buying it.

Is it really that bad?

Last edited:
Top Bottom