• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Avengers... WTF?!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hey OP is this game dependent on network connection stability? I saw games like CoD crashes due to jitter in connection.
For those who might ask, yeah cell phone connection in pretty remote location.

Aion002

This game looks so interested, bit there are ai many negative reviews and scores about it that prevents me from buying it.

Is it really that bad?
When it worked for me it was not bad... But also not good, even without the crashes I think I would drop it anyway after trying out all the characters.

It's just OK, the gameplay felt really shallow to me, the story was meh and the customization is kinda too simple.

I can tolerate a lot crap on games, I even finished Anthem on a base ps4 and had fun with. This game is honestly weird to me, it's like it wants to be a linear single player cinematic story driven game with a simplistic gameplay, but at the same time, it also wants to be a live service game with customization, character builds, microtransactions, multi-player coop modes and stuff.

Some people seems to enjoy it so... I dunno...

Hey OP is this game dependent on network connection stability? I saw games like CoD crashes due to jitter in connection.
For those who might ask, yeah cell phone connection in pretty remote location.

I don't think so. I remember using the quick resume and the game showed a message saying that I was offline and I continued playing normally until it auto reconnected with the servers.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
When it worked for me it was not bad... But also not good, even without the crashes I think I would drop it anyway after trying out all the characters.

It's just OK, the gameplay felt really shallow to me, the story was meh and the customization is kinda too simple.

I can tolerate a lot crap on games, I even finished Anthem on a base ps4 and had fun with. This game is honestly weird to me, it's like it wants to be a linear single player cinematic story driven game with a simplistic gameplay, but at the same time, it also wants to be a live service game with customization, character builds, microtransactions, multi-player coop modes and stuff.

I don't think so. I remember using the quick resume and the game showed a message saying that I was offline and I continued playing normally until it auto reconnected with the servers.
To be honest, I never saw game crashed on my XSX, I haven't played Marvel Avengers, however could be issue with something like localization, because that is also compiled, so it can be drawn to screen easier. That could cause issues too, but you are probably playing in English anyway, I think most of us from non-English countries do so.

So I don't know, maybe your Xbox is trying to tell you play different games or something : D Also if message appeared, out of curiosity do you know the code?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I've seen the game crash similar to yours only once and it was due to connection issues.

It sounds to me you happen to be playing when things were spotty but I'm talking outta my ass.

Other than that crash it's been no issues here.

Last edited:
This game looks so interested, bit there are ai many negative reviews and scores about it that prevents me from buying it.

Is it really that bad?

The single player campaign is decent enough, but the co-op looter aspect that it was marketed as completely falls flat with a really repetitive progression loop, no major endgame content, and bad balancing and itemization.

Basically the game succeeds at everything except what it was marketed as.

Aion002

To be honest, I never saw game crashed on my XSX, I haven't played Marvel Avengers, however could be issue with something like localization, because that is also compiled, so it can be drawn to screen easier. That could cause issues too, but you are probably playing in English anyway, I think most of us from non-English countries do so.

So I don't know, maybe your Xbox is trying to tell you play different games or something : D Also if message appeared, out of curiosity do you know the code?
It was memory leak or something.... I am not sure. It was the first time a game crashed on my Series S and the game crashed 3 times in a span of 3 hours.

I am also imagining that... Some things are not meant to be. :messenger_sad_relieved:

After posting this thread I played Flight Simulator for 2 hours and a little bit of Scarlet Nexus without issues. Thankfully the console seems to be working without problems... I got a little worried with many people informing that they didn't have the same crashes.

I've seen the game crash similar to yours only once and it was due to connection issues.

It sounds to me you happen to be playing when things were spotty but I'm talking outta my ass.

Other than that crash it's been no issues here.
That's plausible. It is a live service game after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

BigBooper

I love the comments that are like "This kind of thing never happens to me. I platinumed the game in one sitting and then went and made love to my beautiful wife in our mansion while the kids play together in the yard."

I was thinking about giving it a try but after reading this topic, I think I won't waste the download time.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
or loading into an area and all the enemies are missing.
This one is caused by slow loading on last gen consoles, it also happens when you play online with people who are one last gen consoles.
it’s basically exactly the same as all the other games like this that people love like Batman Arkham series, Spider-Man, god of war, etc. Normal attack, heavy attack, dodge, non interactive finishing moves, heavily telegraphed when you’re about to get hit and have to dodge.
It's not like any of those games...
The two big problems with the combat are:
1. stunlocking, enemies can literally stunlock you to death. Shit like this in an action brawler shows the combat designer is a fucking idiot.
2. Useless indicators, the indicators that alert you of an attack are completely and utterly pointless, because they don't tell you when you are going to get hit, they just tell you some enemy somewhere is doing an attack animation.
They (the idiot combat designer) basically wants you to swivel your camera around like a crazy person, while also fighting the enemy in front of you.

Imagine something like bayonetta or dmc, where off-screen enemies are attacking you, but you have no idea when to dodge; it's an absolutely mind blowing design decision.
Furthermore, games like bayo/dmc/arkham/etc.. will actually have enemies move to on-screen before attacking, to the point where you can exploit it a bit by just moving your camera away from enemies.

Then there's other problems that are minor but still impact the overall combat experience:
1. nullification, there's loads of enemies in the game that just completely constrict the combat.
There's drainers that drain your special attacks, and they can do it while stunlocking and off-screen attacking with those garbage indicators.
There's enemies with shields that completely ignore hit reactions
There's enemies that will obscure your vision unless you hit them with a very specific damage type (out of 7...)
Designers that "take away" core aspects of the core-loop, because they think that is what "difficulty" means, are idiots and terrible at their jobs.
2. ranged spam, there's often just too many ranged enemies just shooting from all directions, and even the smallest hit will give a small stagger reaction, stopping your combo or opening you up to get stunlocked to death.

Cosmetic vendor that has items that can be bought with in-game currency? Neutered to only having 4 items at a time with a 24 hour cycle when it used to be around 20 items that cycle every hour.
If you want those base cosmetics you can just go offline, they are still there with 12 items every hour.
Rolling perfect gear is hidden behind about 10 layers of RNG.
Like every other game with random loot with random stats?
It doesn't really matter anyway, there's not a single piece of content in the game that needs "perfect gear" or can't be cleared on pure skill; I personally haven't grinded for any kind of specific gear/stats and I've beaten everything. Good stats/perks just make it all easier and some combinations are even just cheap as hell.

The game is at a much much better place than it was at launch, but it's still far from great because the combat designer is terrible at his job

Kappa

Works perfectly fine on my series s

But is it worth a download, its fun with friends to mess around but I def would not buy it

Last edited:
Tried it for 10 mins. The marketplace in my face as soon as the game got to the title screen didn't make me very happy.

Then I got to the bridge section and forced myself to play its garbage game play. The whole thing kept screaming out corporate cookie cutter BS.

Bored I uninstalled. Now I'm playing that new FF demo. All is good in the world again.

Fredrik

I love the comments that are like "This kind of thing never happens to me. I platinumed the game in one sitting and then went and made love to my beautiful wife in our mansion while the kids play together in the yard."

I was thinking about giving it a try but after reading this topic, I think I won't waste the download time.
This post needs a quote for it’s brilliance lol

To be a bit serious though, if you have Gamepass and the needed space on the SSD then I’d say it’s definitely worth a try going by the first few hours. It’s just a strange mix of gameplay. One second you’re flying around as Ironman shooting stuff and the next you’re rushing around like Bowser in the end of Mario Odyssey smashing things with Hulk, then you’re doing martial arts and has to think about weak and strong attacks and blocks and counters etc with Black Widow. Maybe it gets more focused later.

Last edited:

Fredrik

it's literally just a tutorial for all characters lol, that doesn't happen again. (until maybe the first ending, don't remember)
Ah okay. There was lots of Khan gameplay after the time jump. Is she the main character or do you still play with the other characters in the campaign?

seeing the bans coming through because of the disregard for the sticky is *chefs kiss*
He was banned! All praise be to the moderators! (Plus I reported it).

Edit: The mod ban reason is brutal and brilliant. 'The same seal of quality as your posts. Enjoy'.

I literally can't stop laughing right now hahaha.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
The game seems mediocre, it’s okay but the game feels not done it’s like they forgot to add meaningful features and add more characters from Marvel. These characters get old pretty fast & I expected a bit more from the game.
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Esppiral

Been playing the single player campaign, so far so good, what makes people hate this game so much? The graphics are incredible, the story interesting and the gameplay fun.

To me is one of those games the gaming community targets to hate while most haven't even played the game tbh.

Been playing the single player campaign, so far so good, what makes people hate this game so much? The graphics are incredible, the story interesting and the gameplay fun.

To me is one of those games the gaming community targets to hate while most haven't even played the game tbh.
For me personally I just need more from my gameplay combat systems then very aged and boring button mashing plus the odd special attack.

It could have been because I've been playing a ton of Scarlet Nexus recently which has indepth combat mechanics, so I could be spoiled from that. But I was super bored.

Also that Marketplace can literally fuck off. I do my one time a year obligatory AC run and I get my marketplace garbage in my face fill from that. I don't need the same from this game.

Last edited:

It’s mostly what comes after the campaign, and the fact their updates to the game aside from the dlc campaigns have been pretty questionable. The hate it gets is mostly justified, but some of it obviously isn’t, like the people labeling it terrible after just hitting the tutorial section (I really don’t get the point of doing that).

Fredrik

The Spidey exclusivity brought up a lot of unfair negativity pre-launch, same as Rise of the Tomb Raider on XB1. Ironically by the same devs. Maybe they have learned their lesson now?

TidusYuna

Its a Marvel game that is free on PSNow and Gamepass so most will have played it. Also note this is when PSNow had 1 dollar trial. So even those who haven't purchased the game had a chance to try it.

The game wasn't bad for me at first either. But by the time I got to the Hulk with Kamala, I started to lose interest. The game changes. But I hope you can enjoy it. People have high expectations for superhero games after Rocksteady's Batman and Insomniac Spiderman, as they should tho. A Marvel game should have sold itself but Square-Enix ended up losing 11 billion yen, or 105 million dollars, or 8 million euro.

This probably scared the sh*t out of Gotham Knights.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Spidey exclusivity brought up a lot of unfair negativity pre-launch, same as Rise of the Tomb Raider on XB1. Ironically by the same devs. Maybe they have learned their lesson now?

People hated the game even before that. As soon as it came out that it was a GaaS and not a third person strictly single-player game, people had a hate boner for it. It never recovered from that.

Lognor

Banned
Maybe I will give this a real try now that it is free on Game Pass. I played the demo and didn't really enjoy it, but no harm is giving it another go.

Fredrik

People hated the game even before that. As soon as it came out that it was a GaaS and not a third person strictly single-player game, people had a hate boner for it. It never recovered from that.
And it didn’t help that people thought the characters looked like cosplayers. I’m giving it a fair shot though, might not finish it but I’m not ignoring a Gamepass release of this size.

This one is caused by slow loading on last gen consoles, it also happens when you play online with people who are one last gen consoles.

It's not like any of those games...
The two big problems with the combat are:
1. stunlocking, enemies can literally stunlock you to death. Shit like this in an action brawler shows the combat designer is a fucking idiot.
2. Useless indicators, the indicators that alert you of an attack are completely and utterly pointless, because they don't tell you when you are going to get hit, they just tell you some enemy somewhere is doing an attack animation.
They (the idiot combat designer) basically wants you to swivel your camera around like a crazy person, while also fighting the enemy in front of you.

The game is at a much much better place than it was at launch, but it's still far from great because the combat designer is terrible at his job
its the same lead combat designer from God of War 2018, Dante's Inferno and Mass Effect 2😔

kuncol02

Banned
It could have been because I've been playing a ton of Scarlet Nexus recently which has indepth combat mechanics, so I could be spoiled from that.
Scarlet Nexus is so terrible in almost everything (character movement, how story is told, UI, animations, map design) that it almost makes Avengers looks like game of generation. It looks like game designed during PSX era.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just started up the single player campaign this weekend. Not great but ok I be pissed to pay 69.99. Good enough to finish up the storyline and move on to scarlet nexus. Maybe the combat gets better with more levels and unlocks. A 6.5 out of 10 kind of game so far.

Just started up the single player campaign this weekend. Not great but ok I be pissed to pay 69.99. Good enough to finish up the storyline and move on to scarlet nexus. Maybe the combat gets better with more levels and unlocks. A 6.5 out of 10 kind of game so far.
well a 6.5 after the campaign. Where u only have about half of the skills etc unlocked. And u still have 3 new characters each with their own mini DLC campaigns. Is it out of the realm of possibility that all that extra stuff would bump the 6.5 to an 8?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Marvel Avengers games. This Evolution showcases all Avengers Games from 1991 to 2021 including the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series and mobile games.

0:06 Captain America and the Avengers (1991) SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega Game Gear, Game Boy, Nintendo Entertainment System
0:26 Avengers in Galactic Storm (1996) Arcade
0:44 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006) Xbox, PC, PS2, Xbox 360, GBA, PSP
1:05 Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (2009) DS, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, PC
1:25 Marvel: Avengers Alliance (2012) iOS, Android
1:41 Avengers Initiative (2012) iOS, Android
1:57 Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (2012) Xbox 360, Wii U
2:17 LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (2013) XBOX 360, PS3, Wii U, DS, PC
2:37 Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2 (2015) iOS, Android
2:53 LEGO Marvel's Avengers (2016) PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, 3DS, PC
3:14 Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (2019) Switch
3:26 Marvel's Avengers (2020) PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, PC
3:47 Marvel's Avengers: War for Wakanda (2021) PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, PC