• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $22 Billion

Kev Kev

falcon and winter soldier is great but im getting a little tired of the race politics.

they do a decent job of reeling the wokeness back in tho. at one point sam actually ays to bucky" nah man he didnt mean it like that" alluding to some white guy making a comment that could have been perceived as racist. the captain amaerica wanna-be has a best friend who is black, so that sort of squashes the idea that disney is alluding to all white cops and white military personell being racist. and so on...

so far i much prefer the drama and slower pacing of wanda vision. there is a lot of action and moving pieces in falcon and winter soldier, and its all pretty well done, but im finding it hard to get into the more heart felt bits of the show. it just doesnt feel as meaningful and genuine for whatever reason. maybe its just a writing thing?

on the other hand, its great to have so much combat and action again. wandavision was lacking in that dept a bit. maybe a little more action in wandavision, and maybe a little less in falcon and winter soldier would have been more balanced.

looking forward to the rest!

falcon and winter soldier is great but im getting a little tired of the race politics.

they do a decent job of reeling the wokeness back in tho. at one point sam actually ays to bucky" nah man he didnt mean it like that" alluding to some white guy making a comment that could have been perceived as racist. the captain amaerica wanna-be has a best friend who is black, so that sort of squashes the idea that disney is alluding to all white cops and white military personell being racist. and so on...

so far i much prefer the drama and slower pacing of wanda vision. there is a lot of action and moving pieces in falcon and winter soldier, and its all pretty well done, but im finding it hard to get into the more heart felt bits of the show. it just doesnt feel as meaningful and genuine for whatever reason. maybe its just a writing thing?

on the other hand, its great to have so much combat and action again. wandavision was lacking in that dept a bit. maybe a little more action in wandavision, and maybe a little less in falcon and winter soldier would have been more balanced.

looking forward to the rest!

As for TFATWS, I would have given the show an A since I thought the dramatic scenes especially with Bucky was fantastic and emotional. But the woke anti white politics when they show up is why I gave the show a D. The action and character development are Fantastic but I have a issue with the ending that once you finish the show I'll explain my issue with the show in more detail

Kev Kev

Finished it. I hated the speech in the streets. It was long winded, confusing and meandering, I wasn’t even sure what point he was trying to make. I did really like the old man getting the statue. Something about the exchange felt really nice and genuine.

Race relations plays a huge role in the history of America though, so this being so Americana I get why it needed to be in there, but it felt a bit overkill. Which is why it’s weird that I liked the statue part, I dunno I just thought it felt right.

There were some other really cornball moments moments, like the training montage lol wtf was that? But over all I liked it.

Started Loki and it’s fucking awesome so far! Only on episode 2 but I can already tel it’s going to be better than falcon and winter

Finished it. I hated the speech in the streets. It was long winded, confusing and meandering, I wasn’t even sure what point he was trying to make. I did really like the old man getting the statue. Something about the exchange felt really nice and genuine.

Race relations plays a huge role in the history of America though, so this being so Americana I get why it needed to be in there, but it felt a bit overkill. Which is why it’s weird that I liked the statue part, I dunno I just thought it felt right.

There were some other really cornball moments moments, like the training montage lol wtf was that? But over all I liked it.

Started Loki and it’s fucking awesome so far! Only on episode 2 but I can already tel it’s going to be better than falcon and winter

Spoiler Warning for TFATWS

Now that you finished it I'm gonna to get into my major issues with it

First John Walker I thought was handled poorly. They were trying to make me hate him but I just couldn't. Not to mention that he was vilified after killing that one terrorist but than the last episodes he turns into a friendly anti Hero?

Another issue I have is the main villain. She bombed a building filled with those guards and she's not considered to be equally as terrible as John Walker? Instead we got a weird ass speech that was a lecture by a black man simping for this girl. Not to mention that she and the rest of her gang were the weakest link in the series.

Now for Bucky I didn't like how fast they resolved the PTSD angle they were going with. It's not easily curable

As for the racist cops thing, I thought that was out of place. Especially when Sam Wilson is on TV and is a Avengers. All the cops would have recognized him.

I was fine with Isiah Bradley though. He was a bitter old man

The show has alot of great aspects to it but the shows negative aspects far overshadow the positive aspects

Also Loki is one of my favorites of Phase 4

Last edited:
All right you fucking Marvel shills, I have to ask this.

Was Thor always kind of a derp like the show him in the movies?

What was he always a goofball in the comic books? Because I never remember Thor being that way in other media besides the MCU.

In the MCU, he is always getting put down and humiliated and goofing up and basically just become a laughing joke. He's there because he's a goof nut to make people laugh until he actually does something heroic which of course he does.

But I have never liked MCU Thor because he just seems like one big comic relief. He doesn't really seem like a stoic serious hero. Chris Hemsworth is a great actor and I think he's doing a great job with what he has to work with.

But whether it's bumping his head into a glass door or him just getting fat on beer and pizza, it's hard to take this man serious. Not to mention you have his hammer basically being thrown around all over the place and everybody seems worthy of it nowadays.

I'm certainly glad I'm a huge Doctor Strange fan and that he's been my favorite Marvel character as a little kid. I've seen very little changes they've done to him. Admittedly, I cannot say if he was always kind of an arrogant asshole as they kind of make them out to be in the MCU but I'll take that over being a goofball who will get depressed and start drinking beer and pizza and playing Fortnite.

My question is to the Marvel experts out there, was Thor always like this in the comic books or was this a thing they did for the MCU?

Last edited:

Was four always kind of a derp like think show him in the movies?

What was he always a goofball in a comic books? Because I never remember Thor being that way in other media besides the MCU.

In the MCU, he is always getting put down and humiliated and goofing up and basically just become a laughing joke. He's there because he's in goof nut to make people laugh until he actually does something heroic which of course he does.

But I have never liked MCU Thor because he just seems like one big comic relief. He doesn't really seem like a stoic serious hero. Chris Hemsworth is a great actor and I think he's doing a great job with what he has to work with.

But whether it's bumping his head into a glass door or him just getting fat on beer and pizza, it's hard to take this man serious. Not to mention you have his hammer basically being thrown around all over the place and everybody seems worthy of it nowadays.

I'm certainly glad I'm a huge Doctor Strange fan and that he's been my favorite Marvel character as a little kid. I've seen very little changes they've done to him. Admittedly, I cannot say if he was always kind of an arrogant asshole as they kind of make them out to be in the MCU but I'll take that over being a goofball who will get depressed and start drinking beer and pizza and playing Fortnite.

My question is to the Marvel experts out there, was Thor always like this in the comic books or was this a thing they did for the MCU?
No idea but if he is I don't mind the change lol

No idea but if he is I don't mind the change lol
I wouldn't say I hate it and I would say it's appropriate in some cases but overall he just seems like a big oaf and nothing more. Oh he absolutely is.a hero who can get things done. That much is obvious. I just feel like he's way too much comic relief and doesn't match up with what I've known and seen us for but I'm not a Thor fan so I could be wrong as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I hate it and I would say it's appropriate in some cases but overall he just seems like a big oaf and nothing more. Oh he absolutely is.a hero who can get things done. Not much is obvious. I just feel like he's way too much comic relief and doesn't match up with what I've known and seen us for but I'm not a Thor fan so I could be wrong as well.
BTW I can't wait for Thor Love And Thunder and I'm a HUGE fan of Gorr the God Butcher. My worry is that it won't be dark when it comes to Gorr. I read that story arc in The Thor comics and it's such a fantastic story. Thor was more serious in that story arc

BTW I can't wait for Thor Love And Thunder and I'm a HUGE fan of Gorr the God Butcher. My worry is that it won't be dark when it comes to Gorr. I read that story arc in The Thor comics and it's such a fantastic story. Thor was more serious in that story arc
I agree with you regarding the villain in story. I actually hoping it opens up the way for Knull.

Kev Kev

I like him a little derpy. Makes him more likeable. It’s off sets his arrogance over being a god, which in itself is a quality I also like about Thor, but too much of it would be annoying.

sol_bad

His point was to think about things from the refugees perspectives. The snap happened, half the population vanished, various countries fell apart due to economy collapse, America accepted refugees from various countries and gave them housing, people unsnapped. Original residents rightly so want their lands and properties back. Refugees who have lived there for 5 or so years rightly so want to keep living there. The governments decision was to simply kick all the refugees back out of their housing, unfair on them. Sam is telling the politicians to do better and come up with better solutions.

Spoiler Warning for TFATWS

Now that you finished it I'm gonna to get into my major issues with it

First John Walker I thought was handled poorly. They were trying to make me hate him but I just couldn't. Not to mention that he was vilified after killing that one terrorist but than the last episodes he turns into a friendly anti Hero?

Another issue I have is the main villain. She bombed a building filled with those guards and she's not considered to be equally as terrible as John Walker? Instead we got a weird ass speech that was a lecture by a black man simping for this girl. Not to mention that she and the rest of her gang were the weakest link in the series.

Now for Bucky I didn't like how fast they resolved the PTSD angle they were going with. It's not easily curable

As for the racist cops thing, I thought that was out of place. Especially when Sam Wilson is on TV and is a Avengers. All the cops would have recognized him.

I was fine with Isiah Bradley though. He was a bitter old man

The show has alot of great aspects to it but the shows negative aspects far overshadow the positive aspects

Also Loki is one of my favorites of Phase 4

John Walker is a bit of a dick. It makes sense that Sam and Bucky didn't want him to have the shield as Steve wouldn't bloody thirstily kill a terrorist in front of the public. John didn't stand for the same things as Steve did. Morgenthau was an outright dick though and I hated her as soon as she set that bomb off. Both John and Morgenthau were on this super soldier serum and both not acting right, both were losing it. If John was the one losing it at the end I'm pretty positive that Sam would have treated him the same, that's who he is, he wants to de-escalate the situation and help. That's what he did before meeting Steve Rogers.

Was Thor always kind of a derp like the show him in the movies?

What was he always a goofball in the comic books? Because I never remember Thor being that way in other media besides the MCU.

In the MCU, he is always getting put down and humiliated and goofing up and basically just become a laughing joke. He's there because he's a goof nut to make people laugh until he actually does something heroic which of course he does.

I disagree with this as a whole, he is a bit of a goofball in Ragnarok but that's about it. Some of his best scenes are in Infinity War and Endgame imo.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Loki and Black Widow were fucking great! I kind of wish we got one more movie with that family of 4 saving the world or whatever. There was a really fun/funny dynamic between all 4 of them. The Russian accents were distracting but no biggie. And Natasha smashing her face in the desk was equally stupid and hilarious.

Loki season 2 is going to be amazing, can’t wait for that. What a cool plot that series has. I honestly would have loved a couple more episodes with Loki working as a TVA agent or whatever.

Looking forward to what if and Shang chi. Phase 4 is just as quality so far. It’ll be hard to top characters like iron man and cap, but I’m really loving the shows and movies so far.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hearing MODOK is going to be really popular. People are going to love him.

He keeps double crossing and betraying everyone and ends up freeing himself from the Quantum Realm in the end.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's too bad but don't mind the casting choice for him. I

would rather they cast someone who's best for the job than someone who's been fancasted. Hopefully the guy does great as MODOK

The MCU MODOK:
Is Yellowjacket from the first Ant-Man. Remember he was shrunk and sucked into the Quantum Realm at the end. Well he's been stuck there and his head is now big but his body is still tiny.

Loki and Black Widow were fucking great! I kind of wish we got one more movie with that family of 4 saving the world or whatever. There was a really fun/funny dynamic between all 4 of them. The Russian accents were distracting but no biggie. And Natasha smashing her face in the desk was equally stupid and hilarious.

Loki season 2 is going to be amazing, can’t wait for that. What a cool plot that series has. I honestly would have loved a couple more episodes with Loki working as a TVA agent or whatever.

Looking forward to what if and Shang chi. Phase 4 is just as quality so far. It’ll be hard to top characters like iron man and cap, but I’m really loving the shows and movies so far.

I love Loki

I hate Black Widow. Worst of Phase 4

Phase 1

Avengers: A

Iron Man: A

Iron Man 2: B+

Thor: B

Captain America The First Avenger: C

The Hulk: F

Phase 2

Captain America The Winter Solder: A+

Avengers Age of Ultron: B+

Antman: B

Guardian of the Galaxy: C

Thor The Dark World: D+

Iron Man 3: D

Phase 3

Avengers Infinity War/Avengers Endgame: A+

Spider-Man Far From Home: A+

Captain America Civil War: A+

Thor Ragnarok: A+

Doctor Strange: A+

Spider-Man Homecoming: A

Black Panther: A-

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2: B+

Antman and The Wasp: B

Captain Marvel: D

Phase 4 Ranking

My Show Rankings

Ms. Marvel: A-
Loki: B+
Moon Knight: B+
Hawkeye: B+
WandaVision: C
What If?: C
Falcon And The Winter Soldier: D

She-Hulk:
I Am Groot:
Secret Invasion:
Iron Heart:
Armor Wars:
Echo:
Agatha House of Harkness:
Spider-Man Freshman Year:
Marvel Zombie:
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special:

My Movie Rankings

Thor Love And Thunder: A+
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness: A+
Eternals: B+
Shang-Chi: B
Black Widow: D
Spider-Man No Way Home: D

Black Panther Wakanda Forever:
Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania:
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 3:
The Marvels:

Overall Rankings

Phase 4

Thor Love And Thunder: A+
Ms Marvel: A-
Moon Knight: B+
Eternals: B+

Currently Updated

sol_bad

I don't know why but the scene where the 4 of them are at the table is one of my favourite scenes in the MCU. Florence Pugh acts the shit out of that scene and I feel so sorry for her.

The MCU MODOK:
Is Yellowjacket from the first Ant-Man. Remember he was shrunk and sucked into the Quantum Realm at the end. Well he's been stuck there and his head is now big but his body is still tiny.

Is this from actual leaks or just rumours? I was hoping we'd see
Corey Stoll
show up again one day. And can't wait to see what MODOK looks like in the MCU.

Kev Kev

I don't know why but the scene where the 4 of them are at the table is one of my favourite scenes in the MCU. Florence Pugh acts the shit out of that scene and I feel so sorry for her.
i am the youngest in a family of four (mom, dad, older brother and myself) so it was easy for me to connect with that family i suppose. and just recently my dad started cheating on my mom and divorced her and wanted to keep the house they literally just built, and now our family is all broken and fucked up. seeing them trying to be a family again (well, sort of), was heart wrenching to me for obvious reasons.

i mean, i know it wasnt top tier marvel, but i really enjoyed it for a lot of reasons. i think even without the connect i have with it, it was still really good. hell, this might be a hot take, but i have enjoyed every single movie and show from the MCU. even dark world and the incredible hulk!

i truly believe MCU fans are searching for reasons to hate it, over analyzing every scene and ever line till they find enough faults to just call the entire thing "garbage" or "pure trash" or whatever over used phrases you want to post like your its 2011 and your posting on facebook lol. just silly to me. but hey whatever, i love it! so sucks to be them i guess 🤷‍♂️

i am the youngest in a family of four (mom, dad, older brother and myself) so it was easy for me to connect with that family i suppose. and just recently my dad started cheating on my mom and divorced her and wanted to keep the house they literally just built, and now our family is all broken and fucked up. seeing them trying to be a family again (well, sort of), was heart wrenching to me for obvious reasons.

i mean, i know it wasnt top tier marvel, but i really enjoyed it for a lot of reasons. i think even without the connect i have with it, it was still really good. hell, this might be a hot take, but i have enjoyed every single movie and show from the MCU. even dark world and the incredible hulk!

i truly believe MCU fans are searching for reasons to hate it, over analyzing every scene and ever line till they find enough faults to just call the entire thing "garbage" or "pure trash" or whatever over used phrases you want to post like your its 2011 and your posting on facebook lol. just silly to me. but hey whatever, i love it! so sucks to be them i guess 🤷‍♂️

Shhhhh you don't want to say that since you might be CALLED a MCU/Kevin Fiege Shill :p

sol_bad

So Captain America 4 has a director attached.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/captain-america-4-director-1235176925/

Julius Onah, he directed a little shit show of a movie called The Cloverfield Project, dumped on Netflix because it was so shit. Then I looked at his filmography and saw he has only done 3 films total. Then I noticed one of his films called Luce received high critic reviews and pretty good audience scores.

I'm a have to check this out.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is like a black hole.

I keep wanting to get the fuck out but then I get thrown back in because of some good movie or whatever.

I mean, look at this bad ass shirt. Yeah, Dr Strange is my favorite comic book character ever since I was a little kid but still....

IMG-20220709-160816.jpg

I guess deep down, I'm a little bit of a Marvel or more precisely MCU shill. They miss often, but when they hit, they really fucking hit.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I’m really liking ‘What If’. That Dr Strange episode was brutal. I love the different approach to each scenario and how new details reveal themselves through out the episode, all while you’re comparing and contrasting to the original storylines of those MCU characters/movies. So cool!

About to watch the zombies one

Last edited:

Kev Kev

dayum, another awesome show with 'what if'. i wasnt expecting it to tie it all together at the end but it was so fuckin cool! i think that dr strange episode was my favorite, so to bring him back to help "redeem" himself and bring all the other characters together was just so awesome. some of the shots int his series were just straight out of a page of a comic book. i absolutely loved it

very fun and impressive stuff from marvel. again, i dont know how the keep knocking it out of the park but they do. i can see myself watching 'what if' for bed time tv, and really enjoying it over and over again. good stuff there

next up: i have been looking forward to 'Shang-Chi' since i saw the trailer and its on the agenda next, cant wait!!

Last edited:

sol_bad

dayum, another awesome show with 'what if'. i wasnt expecting it to tie it all together at the end but it was so fuckin cool! i think that dr strange episode was my favorite, so to bring him back to help "redeem" himself and bring all the other characters together was just so awesome. some of the shots int his series were just straight out of a page of a comic book. i absolutely loved it

very fun and impressive stuff from marvel. again, i dont know how the keep knocking it out of the park but they do. i can see myself watching 'what if' for bed time tv, and really enjoying it over and over again. good stuff there

next up: i have been looking forward to 'Shang-Chi' since i saw the trailer and its on the agenda next, cant wait!!

I really enjoyed the Doctor Strange episode, easily top tier MCU right there. Unfortunately the rest of What if was just fine. I still had fun of course, really enjoyed the animation and can't wait for season 2.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Latest Tales from the Mod Queue is up over at the official spoilers subreddit:

So they're actually on for an Eternals 2. Feige and his team must really have been relying on them, because for the life of me I can't figure out why they would even want to touch any bit of that franchise outside of Kit Harrington's character, and that's only because he was already slated to be involved with Blade.

Last edited:

So they're actually on for an Eternals 2. Feige and his team must really have been relying on them, because for the life of me I can't figure out why they would even want to touch any bit of that franchise outside of Kit Harrington's character, and that's only because he was already slated to be involved with Blade.

Eternals 2

Not sure they should go ahead with a Eternals 2

Casting

- Elden Henson (Foggy) has signed with Marvel Studios

- Deborah Ann Woll (Karen) should also be back, but no confirmation of her already having signed with Marvel

- Chloe Bennet (Quake) has signed with Marvel Studios

Would be happy if all 3 of these casting turn out true

ManaByte

Gold Member

The production issues on Eternals was 100% Zhao tweaking shit all the time. They basically started filming with an unfinished script but Feige gave her free reign.

Total Ranking

Avengers Infinity War/Avengers Endgame: A+
Spider-Man Far From Home: A+
Captain America Civil War: A+
Doctor Strange: A+
Thor Ragnarok: A+
Captain America The Winter Solder: A+
Thor Love And Thunder: A
Spider-Man Homecoming: A
Avengers: A
Ms Marvel: A-
Iron Man: A-
Black Panther: A-
Avengers Age of Ultron: B+
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2: B+
Iron Man 2: B+
Moon Knight: B
Thor: B
Antman and The Wasp: B
Antman: B
Eternals: B
Guardian of the Galaxy: C
Captain America The First Avenger: C
Captain Marvel: D
Thor The Dark World: D
Iron Man 3: D
The Hulk: F

sol_bad

One thing that people who like to shit on the MCU like to bring up is pre-vis, trying to point out that the director doesn't really have any involvement for the action scenes. This has occurred ever since the pre-vis for Endgame was released and how far in advance it was made. People don't realise how early these productions start.

Anyway, this is for Age of Ultron but it shows that Whedon had the original idea for the opening action scene in his head from the start.

NwWrcaj.jpg

cwXti1U.jpg
4tVwF08.jpg

*EDIT*
And I just learnt that the Thanos scene and the scene where Rocket explains that Drax doesn't understand metaphors we're added in during additional photography for GOTG

Thanos was never originally meant to be in the film. And the Rocket/Dragon scene was shot as test audiences didn't understand Drax's character and didn't like him.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Just watched 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' and it was so fucking good! The story, the acting, the special effects, the choreography (!!!), the comedy, all of it. Another fantastic Marvel entry. Even my Mom liked it! She loved all the special effects and animals in that other world they visit. She also made a good point that this movie would have been super cool in 3D at the theaters. We both saw Lightyear in 3D and it was awesome with all the space stuff and special effects. Loved it!

Started Hawkeye last night and it's going great so far. I like the characters, the callbacks to Phase 1-3 (so many sad parts tho :messenger_pensive:), not 100% sure where the story is going yet but the action and comedy and all that Marvel quality I've come to expect is there. Can't wait to get into it more tonite.

Top Bottom