• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $22 Billion

sol_bad

Yep look at how Black Widow is doing. I think Shang-Chi and Eternals are going to flop at the box office like Black Widow

They will "flop" but it's not because interest has died.
Black Widow is at about 450 million including Disney+ receipts and China's release still needs to happen as well. There is no telling how much the film would have made if we weren't in a pandemic and it was a theatrical release only. Same with The Suicide Squad, the fact that it's on HBO Max for "free" fucks Warner over even harder at the box office.

Both HBO Max and Disney+ leads to diminished box office numbers, accounts can be shared and it allows for crystal clear piracy copies. For Disney+ there are people who will happily pay $35 to see a film at the cinemas but not pay $35 for home viewing. With HBO Max, it's only available in America so many countries are left with no way to watch certain films.

They will "flop" but it's not because interest has died.
Black Widow is at about 450 million including Disney+ receipts and China's release still needs to happen as well. There is no telling how much the film would have made if we weren't in a pandemic and it was a theatrical release only. Same with The Suicide Squad, the fact that it's on HBO Max for "free" fucks Warner over even harder at the box office.

Both HBO Max and Disney+ leads to diminished box office numbers, accounts can be shared and it allows for crystal clear piracy copies. For Disney+ there are people who will happily pay $35 to see a film at the cinemas but not pay $35 for home viewing. With HBO Max, it's only available in America so many countries are left with no way to watch certain films.

Great points

ManaByte

Anthony Mackie has closed a deal to carry the shield and his first superhero picture in Captain America 4, sources said.

R.b02dcc6d4bd66e026da90121fb358bd1

ManaByte

"We're shooting Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, right now, and the character of Riri Williams, you will meet in Black Panther 2 first," Feige said in an interview surrounding the release of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. "She started shooting, I think, this week before her Ironheart series."

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After What If... ep3: yes, this is the What If I was hoping for. The comics came out before my time, but I spent a lot of time and money tracking down old issues and loved the series for how fearless and wild they were with their retellings. The first two episodes really played things kind of safe, predictable, and boring, even though they did some fun things with some characters.

Can't wait for the next one.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The latest What If didn't disappoint. Obvious allusions to The Time Machine, an ending that reminded me of the pocket universe of Super Boy Prime and Alexander Luthor Jr. from DC comics lore.

I am slightly more convinced that the Strange we saw in a certain segment of the Spider-Man trailer is this version of Doctor Strange. Slightly.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The zombie episode of What If .... borrowed some good ideas from Marvel Zombies, but also changed things in good ways to align with the MCU. Good stuff.

Initially resisting for a while, I went "full MCU" this past summer and have basically caught up with almost all the movies and all the shows. For what it is, it's really well done stuff, so it deserves the giant success it's currently experiencing.

For me personally, growing up without really reading comics, the biggest achievement of the MCU was taking a crew that people like me didn't even know existed, and making them insanely popular. I'm talking about, of course, the Guardians of the Galaxy.

One more random thought: out of the movie trilogies for the "big 3" individual heroes, Captain America got (by far) the best trilogy of movies. Iron Man 1 is of course great, but 2 kind of sucks and 3 is... alright. Thor Ragnarok is awesome but the first two Thor movies are ass, with Dark World being in its own category of shit 🤣. Captain America, on the other hand, has a great first movie that rivals Iron Man's own first movie; an amazing second movie that, until Thanos showed up, had (in my opinion) the most intimidating villain in Winter Soldier; and a fantastic third movie that of course people will say is cheating because it's "Avengers 2.5." Whatever; the main hero is Cap, the main secondary character is Bucky, and the main antagonist is Zemo. That makes it a Cap movie, to me.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Iron Man 3 gets better and better with repeat viewings. The Mandarin reveal and lack of armor made me hate it the first time around in the cinemas. But yeah, you appreciate it the more you watch. It's my favorite Iron Man film of the 3.

A bit of a long post, I did some more digging because I faintly remember either Lord or Miller or someone saying the TV show rights had some complications and weren't as straightforward. After going through it I'm not too sure Sony can produce Live Action TV shows and sell them to Amazon (as has been rumored with the Silk show) or Netflix or a streaming service without Marvel's consent.

I may be reading this wrong but that seems to be a "Frozen Right"/"Freeze Period". I think Sony can do it and sell it to a cable or broadcast channel first (i.e. NBC or Showtime) without Marvel’s consent. After its release they then should be able to sell it to Amazon, so there seems to be a way around it. However production of new work intended for internet based delivery seems to require Marvel's approval. Not that dissimilar to the X-Men TV shows that Fox owned the right to. They seemed to be in similar terms (I remember some articles at the time saying X-Men TV shows needed consent from both parties), so either Fox got that from Marvel or the contract was similar and Legion went to FX (Cable) while They apparently needed both parties for Legion and The Gifted and Marvel signed off on them.

Then again Silk TV show going to Amazon has been reported by deadline, who is reputable, so take this with a grain of salt. Or maybe Marvel would greenlight it (they did after all greenlight the use of Peter Porker, a frozen character, for example).

Anyways it's worth a look.

Section 3A - Basic info on SPE's production rights regarding TV. Also calls out that Marvel has short term animation rights.

3.a. Productions. SPE shall have the sole and exclusive right to develop, create and/or produce any or all of the following based, in whole or in part, on the Property during the Production Term (as defined in Section 6, below) (“Production(s)“):

3.a(ii) one or more live-action and/or animated television series (“Television Series“), subject to the freeze of certain Television Series rights provided for under Section 4 hereof. For the avoidance of doubt, New Marvel Animation shall not be considered a Television Series hereunder.

Upon the expiration of the Picture Production Term (as defined in Section 6.d below) SPE’s right to produce further Pictures shall cease and Marvel shall have the sole right to produce motion pictures based upon the Property pursuant to its Reserved Rights under Section 5.i. Upon the expiration of the Production Term (including any extensions thereof under Section 6 below), SPE’s right to produce a Television Series shall cease and Marvel shall have the sole right to produce television series based upon the Property pursuant to its Reserved Rights under Section 5 (it being understood that the Production Term with respect to Short-Form Animation expired on July 15, 2009 and that from and after such date Marvel has the sole right to produce or license Short-Form Animation pursuant to its Reserved Rights). Notwithstanding the foregoing, SPE shall continue to have the right after the expiration of the Production Term to complete production of Productions which have commenced principal photography (or layout, as applicable) prior to the expiration of the Production Term, and, in connection with SPE’s distribution and exploitation thereof, create other cuts or versions thereof, including foreign language versions, television versions, director’s cuts, expanded versions (which may include previously deleted scenes), enhanced audio versions, etc., provided that: (i) all such versions are fundamentally the same motion picture (or television series) as a Picture (or Television Series, as applicable) that was produced during the Production Term; (ii) SPE shall not photograph any new footage or produce any new animation (as applicable) after the expiration of the Production Term for inclusion in any such version of the Picture (or Television Series); and (iii) SPE shall not incorporate into any such version of the Picture (or Television Series) any new footage photographed or produce any new animation (as applicable) after the expiration of the Production Term. For the avoidance of doubt, SPE shall continue to have in perpetuity all of the exclusive distribution, advertising, promotion, exploitation and other rights provided for Sections 3.b through 3.k of the Agreement with respect to each Production which commences principal photography (or layout in the case of an animation, as applicable) prior to the expiration of the Production Term.

Section 3B - Calling out what SPE has the distribution rights to. This is the one that confused me the most because if we combine that with section 3A(i) then it just means that they can distribute movies in any format after theatrical release. If we combine that with section 3A(ii) then that means they can release tv shows in any format out now or in the future. However the first paragraph says “subject to the freeze of certain Television Series rights provided for under Section 4 hereof”, so we’ll look at that.

3.b. Distribution. SPE shall have the sole and exclusive right in perpetuity (notwithstanding the expiration of, or any termination of, the Production Term) to fix, release, distribute, exhibit, perform, sell, transmit, broadcast, publish, advertise, promote, market, license and otherwise exploit any and all Productions produced or created under Section 3.a. above by any and all means and in any and all media and modes of distribution and/or exploitation, whether now or hereafter known or devised, including, without limitation, all of the following: theatrical; non-theatrical (including airlines, ships and other carriers, military, educational, industrial and the like); pay-per-view; the sale or rental of copies of the Productions (which may be combined with supplementary material(s) such as interviews or behind-the-scenes footage if the Production is displayed or exhibited in a linear format unless the viewer intervenes to access supplementary material) in connection with the exploitation of home video rights or otherwise (including videocassettes, digital videodiscs, laserdiscs, CD-ROMs, DIVX’s, and all other formats now known or hereafter devised); all forms of television (including pay, free, network, syndication, cable, satellite, high definition and digital); video-on-demand and near video-on-demand; all forms of digital or on-line distribution and/or transmission, including, without limitation, the internet (on which Productions may be combined with supplementary material(s) such as interviews or behind-the-scenes footage if the Production is displayed or exhibited in a linear format unless the viewer intervenes to access supplementary material); satellite, fiber optic or other exhibition, broadcast and/or delivery systems; all rights of communication to the public, rights of distribution to the public or other forms of public or private communication and/or distribution; and all forms of dissemination, communication or distribution to one or more identifiable locations or parties; and the sole and exclusive right to exercise in perpetuity all music, music publishing and soundtrack album rights, in connection with the foregoing.

Section 3G - This is if movies go the way of the dodo. It's ensuring that Sony can still exploit the property, so if streaming takes over as the main distribution method then Sony can call on Section 3G to keep the rights. However, if Marvel disagrees they can call for an arbitration.

3.g. Initial Release in Another Medium. If at any time during the Production Term theatrical distribution is replaced by another medium as a generally accepted initial release platform for first class feature length motion pictures by Major Studios (as defined in Section 23 below), then SPE shall have the right to produce motion pictures intended for initial release by such other medium, subject to an adjustment of the release rights and obligations hereunder to be agreed upon by the parties pursuant to good faith negotiations in order to effectuate a level of release comparable to that contemplated under this Agreement. If the parties are unable to agree, the adjustment of the release rights and obligations shall be determined by arbitration under the procedures set forth in Section 24.b below.

Section 4 is the important section as it calls out what needs to be approved by both parties to be released.

Section 4A - Frozen rights. Highlighted the relevant parties. It does take a bit of going back and forth in the document to understand this paragraph. It specifies that consent must be given by both parties. Section (iv) I believe mainly applies to movies and Sony cannot produce a movie directly for streaming, no matter the length, without Marvel’s approval.

4.a. Frozen Rights. The following rights (“Frozen Rights“) relating to the Property are licensed exclusively to SPE as of the Original Agreement Effective Date for the applicable “Freeze Period” (as defined in Section 4.b. below) but are frozen and may not be exercised by SPE or Marvel at any time without the prior written consent of the other Party (which consent such other Party may grant or withhold in its sole discretion): all rights to create, produce, distribute or otherwise exploit motion pictures or other audiovisual works or productions of any nature now known or hereafter devised which include the Property and are intended for initial exploitation by any means or medium now known or hereafter devised, other than (a) the rights granted to SPE in Section 3, above, (b) Marvel’s exercise of any of its rights under Sections 5.b - 5.j., and (c) Marvel’s exercise of Co-Promotion rights subject to the conditions and limitations set forth in this Agreement. The Frozen Rights include, without limitation, the following (subject to Sections 4.b - d): (i) subject to Section 3.g hereof, the right to release motion pictures initially by means other than theatrical exhibition, including direct-to-home-video rights and direct-to-pay per view rights; (ii) television movie of the weeks (“MOW“) and mini-series rights (provided that the initial episode or pilot of a Television Series shall not be considered an MOW regardless of its length); (iii) live television rights (i.e., the right to televise television programs based on the Property directly from living actors appearing and speaking in the immediate presence of the television cameras at the time of the broadcast, without any recording thereof except for unedited recordings used only for purposes of tape-delay of a single broadcast and/or for archival purposes) (iv) subject to Section 3.g hereof, the right to release Productions initially and directly for exhibition over the internet or comparable delivery system (other than as a delivery system for the television broadcast, or for the sale or licensing of copies, of a Production or other rights granted to SPE under Section 3 hereof); and (v) all rights with respect to the production and exploitation of other audiovisual productions, except for those rights expressly reserved by Marvel in Sections 5.b - 5.j, below. Nothing contained herein shall limit SPE’s rights under Section 3.g hereof or limit SPE’s rights under Section 3.b and 3.c to exploit Pictures by any and all means and media following the initial theatrical release date thereof and/or to exploit Television Series produced in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and not otherwise frozen or reserved to Marvel under the Agreement by any and all means and media following the initial exploitation thereof by means of any form of television (which may include delivery over the internet or comparable delivery system as provided in clause (iv) of this paragraph). In addition to the foregoing, the Frozen Rights shall include the right to produce Pictures in the form of traditional “musicals” (e.g. “Singing in the Rain” or “Evita”) in which singing and dancing by the principal characters, on-screen, is a principal focus of the motion picture and takes up a substantial percentage of the running time of the motion picture. Nothing contained in this Section shall limit the right of SPE to incorporate into Pictures unlimited amounts of music and choreography, including “music-video” type sequences.

Section 4B - Freeze Period. This is the “subject to the freeze of certain Television Series rights provided for under Section 4 hereof “ comes into play that was talked about in 3A(ii).

Basically Marvel needs to greenlight production of direct to TV movies (over 78 minutes in length) in any TV format (i.e. streaming, VOD, Cable, DVD) unless a new distribution system takes over theatrical for movies (i.e. streaming).

4B(ii) is the one regarding TVs. Marvel has to greenlight Movie of the Week (something they used to have on ABC, NBC, etc, I guess) and mini series (I don't think mini series is defined in the document, but it's probably like a limited 1 season series) under 78 minutes in length, and other productions for initial exploitation on direct to DVD, VOD, PPV, or internet (i.e. streaming). That’s why I think they can produce them and sell them to NBC or Showtime. It goes with the TV shows they produced before Spider-Man The Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-Man.

4.b. Freeze Period. The “Freeze Period“ means the applicable period set forth below.

4.b(i) Certain Long-Form Productions. The Freeze Period with respect to long-form productions (more than 78 minutes of running time, including main and end titles) produced for initial exploitation by means of direct-to-home-video, direct-to-pay per view, video on demand, or internet delivery or comparable delivery systems (other than Pictures produced by SPE under Section 3.g) is the period commencing on the date hereof and continuing until the expiration of the Picture Production Term and extending thereafter until the earlier of (A) Marvel’s compliance with SPE’s Right of First Refusal under Section 33.b hereof with respect to the applicable “Subject Rights” (as defined in Section 33 below), or (B) the expiration of SPE’s Right of First Refusal.

4.b(ii) Television Productions and Short-Form Productions. The Freeze Period with respect to MOW’s, mini-series and other productions (other than Television Series produced by SPE under Section 3.a and New Marvel Animation produced by Marvel under Section 5.f) intended for initial exploitation by means of television and for productions less than 78 minutes of running time, including main and end titles) produced for initial exploitation by means of direct-to-home-video, direct-to-pay per view, video on demand, or internet delivery (or comparable delivery systems) is the period commencing on the date hereof and continuing until the expiration of the Production Term (including any extensions thereof under Section 6).

4.b(iii) Other Frozen Rights. The Freeze Period with respect to all Frozen Rights other than those described in Sections 4.b(i)-(ii) above is the period commencing on the date hereof and continuing until the expiration of the Picture Production Term (including any extensions thereof under Section 6).

So yeah if I'm reading this right I guess that explains why Sony has never really exploited live action TV. Seems the TV production rights by Sony is a bit more strict and limited than the exploitation rights they have for movies.

I'm also not sure if someone like Knull would be a Sony property. I guess it depends on who his main enemies are. I didn't read King In Black, but wiki mentioned a lot of teams/characters there. I think the highlighted section is the main one that would either make him a Sony character or not.

2.b(ii) New Characters. Each and all of the following (“New Character(s)“):

2.b(ii)(A) Each fictional character, place, structure, business, group or other entity or element that first appears in a New Authorized Work (other than a Team Up Work and/or the property entitled Immortal Weapons -- Bride of the Nine Spiders”) that:

(1) Has in its title or is branded with the name or likeness of “Spider,” “Spider-Man,” “Peter Parker” or any Spider-Man Subsidiary Character, provided that the depiction of “Spider-Man,” “Peter Parker” or any Spider-Man Subsidiary Character on the cover of or in any Authorized Work shall not constitute being branded for purposes of this Section 2 of the Agreement if (x) the name or likeness of one or more other Major Marvel Characters not included in the Property also appear in relatively equal or greater size and prominence on the cover of or in such Authorized Work (e.g., a Team-Up Work); or (y) the relevant Authorized Work is clearly titled or is branded in the name of a Prominent Marvel Character that is not included in the Property (e.g., a “Hulk” comic book); or

(2) Is a New Authorized Work in which the main protagonist is Spider-Man or any Spider-Man Subsidiary Character, provided that this clause will not apply if (x) the name or likeness of one or more other Major Marvel Characters not included in the Property also appear in as relatively equal or more prominent main protagonists in such Authorized Work (e.g., a Team-Up Work); or (y) the relevant Authorized Work is clearly titled or is branded in the name of a Prominent Marvel Character that is not included in the Property (e.g., a “Hulk” comic book).

A New Authorized Work that meets the requirements of this Section 2.b(ii)(A) is a “Qualifying New Authorized Work.”

2.b(ii)(B) Any fictional character first appearing in a New Authorized Work that: (1) shoots spider-webs; or (2) has the word “spider” in its name; or (3) has a spider image on its costume; or (4) has a spider-web image on its costume; or (5) has a costume that a reasonable member of the general public would recognize and identify as an Approved Costume of the Spider-Man character as set forth on Schedule 4, Paragraph (a) or (b) or the costume of the Spider-Man Character that appears in a Qualifying New Authorized Work; or (6) derives his/her powers from the Spider-Man Character either as an inherited biological trait or through biological material or takes such powers from the Spider-Man Character through other means (e.g., through black “symbiote” suit which takes on the powers of the Spider-Man Character and allows anyone who wears it to use such powers), as set forth in the origin story of such character. For the avoidance of doubt with respect to clause (5) the parties acknowledge that the simple functional elements of a superhero costume such as spandex, boots and capes would not, in and of themselves, make a costume recognizable as a Spider-Man Character costume.

2.b(iii) Origin Stories. The origin story (or stories) and all secret identities, alter egos, powers, costumes, equipment and other elements of, or associated with, the Spider-Man Character, each Spider-Man Subsidiary Character, and each place, structure, business, group or other entity or element included in the Property, as set forth in any Authorized Work in which they appear.

2.b(iv) Underlying Materials. All literary, dramatic or other material or copyrighted works of any nature on which any Authorized Works are based (but only to the extent necessary in order for SPE’s exercise of its Rights in the Property not to constitute an infringement of any material(s) upon which any of the Authorized Works may be based); and

2.b(v) Individual Storylines. Subject to confirmation by Marvel that it owns or controls any necessary rights, the plots, storylines, scenes, incidents and other elements of each Authorized Work in which the Spider-Man Character or any Spider-Man Subsidiary Character appears. Marvel shall respond to SPE’s request for such confirmation with respect to a specific Authorized Work within ten (10) business days following SPE’s written request.

sol_bad

A bit of a long post, I did some more digging because I faintly remember either Lord or Miller or someone saying the TV show rights had some complications and weren't as straightforward. After going through it I'm not too sure Sony can produce Live Action TV shows and sell them to Amazon (as has been rumored with the Silk show) or Netflix or a streaming service without Marvel's consent.

I may be reading this wrong but that seems to be a "Frozen Right"/"Freeze Period". I think Sony can do it and sell it to a cable or broadcast channel first (i.e. NBC or Showtime) without Marvel’s consent. After its release they then should be able to sell it to Amazon, so there seems to be a way around it. However production of new work intended for internet based delivery seems to require Marvel's approval. Not that dissimilar to the X-Men TV shows that Fox owned the right to. They seemed to be in similar terms (I remember some articles at the time saying X-Men TV shows needed consent from both parties), so either Fox got that from Marvel or the contract was similar and Legion went to FX (Cable) while They apparently needed both parties for Legion and The Gifted and Marvel signed off on them.

Then again Silk TV show going to Amazon has been reported by deadline, who is reputable, so take this with a grain of salt. Or maybe Marvel would greenlight it (they did after all greenlight the use of Peter Porker, a frozen character, for example).

Anyways it's worth a look.

Section 3A - Basic info on SPE's production rights regarding TV. Also calls out that Marvel has short term animation rights.

Section 3B - Calling out what SPE has the distribution rights to. This is the one that confused me the most because if we combine that with section 3A(i) then it just means that they can distribute movies in any format after theatrical release. If we combine that with section 3A(ii) then that means they can release tv shows in any format out now or in the future. However the first paragraph says “subject to the freeze of certain Television Series rights provided for under Section 4 hereof”, so we’ll look at that.

Section 3G - This is if movies go the way of the dodo. It's ensuring that Sony can still exploit the property, so if streaming takes over as the main distribution method then Sony can call on Section 3G to keep the rights. However, if Marvel disagrees they can call for an arbitration.

Section 4 is the important section as it calls out what needs to be approved by both parties to be released.

Section 4A - Frozen rights. Highlighted the relevant parties. It does take a bit of going back and forth in the document to understand this paragraph. It specifies that consent must be given by both parties. Section (iv) I believe mainly applies to movies and Sony cannot produce a movie directly for streaming, no matter the length, without Marvel’s approval.

Section 4B - Freeze Period. This is the “subject to the freeze of certain Television Series rights provided for under Section 4 hereof “ comes into play that was talked about in 3A(ii).

Basically Marvel needs to greenlight production of direct to TV movies (over 78 minutes in length) in any TV format (i.e. streaming, VOD, Cable, DVD) unless a new distribution system takes over theatrical for movies (i.e. streaming).

4B(ii) is the one regarding TVs. Marvel has to greenlight Movie of the Week (something they used to have on ABC, NBC, etc, I guess) and mini series (I don't think mini series is defined in the document, but it's probably like a limited 1 season series) under 78 minutes in length, and other productions for initial exploitation on direct to DVD, VOD, PPV, or internet (i.e. streaming). That’s why I think they can produce them and sell them to NBC or Showtime. It goes with the TV shows they produced before Spider-Man The Animated Series and Spectacular Spider-Man.

So yeah if I'm reading this right I guess that explains why Sony has never really exploited live action TV. Seems the TV production rights by Sony is a bit more strict and limited than the exploitation rights they have for movies.

I'm also not sure if someone like Knull would be a Sony property. I guess it depends on who his main enemies are. I didn't read King In Black, but wiki mentioned a lot of teams/characters there. I think the highlighted section is the main one that would either make him a Sony character or not.

I don't know what to say to all that.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel have to approve certain things.
:)

Seems like cancel culture is trying to get Simu Liu.

I don't know what to say to all that.
I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel have to approve certain things.
:)

Certainly seems that way for television outside of initial distribution being intended for broadcast or cable television and movies not intended for initial theatrical releases.

I'll just say that, while neither Black Widow and Shang Chi are exactly high art, I'm appreciating this current run of Marvel movies. They're self-confined, self-sufficient, they manage to narrate a formulaic but interesting enough story without resorting to a billion cameos and superpowers. And the fact they experiment with genres they normally don't do often (eg. the spy movie element in Black Widow or the
kaiju
fight at the end of Shang Chi) is much welcome. Looking forward to Eternals (which I keep wanting to call Immortals for some reason).

Where did the rumor that Tenoch Huerta and Mabel Cadena were cast as Namor and Namora respectively come from? Not familiar with Cadena, but Huerta as Namor would be horrible casting. His English is poor and Namor is someone that's like Stark or Strange, snarky, arrogant, quick witted. I can't see him being able to sell that with a thick accent, if I'm being honest. This would be Finn and Feige's first major miscast IMO.

Now if they got cast as White Tigers Hector Ayala and Angela Del Toro then that's a different story. This I think is fantastic casting in line with Sarah Haley Finn's fantastic run of casting right actors for the roles. And you can have them speaking Spanish most of the time.

sol_bad

Where did the rumor that Tenoch Huerta and Mabel Cadena were cast as Namor and Namora respectively come from? Not familiar with Cadena, but Huerta as Namor would be horrible casting. His English is poor and Namor is someone that's like Stark or Strange, snarky, arrogant, quick witted. I can't see him being able to sell that with a thick accent, if I'm being honest. This would be Finn and Feige's first major miscast IMO.

Now if they got cast as White Tigers Hector Ayala and Angela Del Toro then that's a different story. This I think is fantastic casting in line with Sarah Haley Finn's fantastic run of casting right actors for the roles. And you can have them speaking Spanish most of the time.

Seems like it comes from the illuminerdi so ignore it for now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

That doesn't sound real. Marvel is known for casting their characters accurately.

sol_bad

What about the rumor that Miss Marvel will not be an inhuman and will have green lantern powers instead of the powers that she has in the comics? Same source?

I'm not sure about that rumour. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true though as they'd want to distance themselves from the Inhumans show and Agents of SHIELD which involved a whole slew of Inhumans. I'm hoping one day we'll get Inhumans in the MCU but I think it's a few years off.

I'm not sure about that rumour. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true though as they'd want to distance themselves from the Inhumans show and Agents of SHIELD which involved a whole slew of Inhumans. I'm hoping one day we'll get Inhumans in the MCU but I think it's a few years off.

Meh I hope not. Inhumans is a very cool group and it can be different enough from X-Men and Eternals. It can also set up a bunch of things. Inhumans and GR were the only cool things about AoS (and maybe LMD).

Just treat all those shows as the alternate timelines they are and be done with it. I think it's also a bit risky to make such huge changes to a popular character's origins AND powerset. It's okay if it's an unknown character like Marvell and Eternals, but I have to guess Kamala Khan is pretty well known today.

sol_bad

Meh I hope not. Inhumans is a very cool group and it can be different enough from X-Men and Eternals. It can also set up a bunch of things. Inhumans and GR were the only cool things about AoS (and maybe LMD).

Just treat all those shows as the alternate timelines they are and be done with it. I think it's also a bit risky to make such huge changes to a popular character's origins AND powerset. It's okay if it's an unknown character like Marvell and Eternals, but I have to guess Kamala Khan is pretty well known today.

Hopefully we'll get a trailer in November or December so we have an idea of what's happening and whether those rumours are true or not.

I, for one, believe the World War Hulk rumor. I only choose to believe it because it would validate my rabbit hole research some months back where it showed that Hulk distribution rights would return to Marvel 15 years after TIH, i.e. 2023.

Hopefully we'll get a trailer in November or December so we have an idea of what's happening and whether those rumours are true or not.
I would be very surprised if we don't at least get a teaser trailer on Disney+ day. I mean they already had stuff filmed and shared it with us last December.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I, for one, believe the World War Hulk rumor. I only choose to believe it because it would validate my rabbit hole research some months back where it showed that Hulk distribution rights would return to Marvel 15 years after TIH, i.e. 2023.

I would be very surprised if we don't at least get a teaser trailer on Disney+ day. I mean they already had stuff filmed and shared it with us last December.

I honestly hope World War Hulk is true as well. Hulk needs his own trilogy.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whelp, I finally got around to watching Black Widow last night after work. I was simply not engaged. It was more Marvel fun, the action and humor, but I found myself not caring about the story.

I honestly hope World War Hulk is true as well. Hulk needs his own trilogy.

WWH would need at least a duology if not a trilogy to set it up properly. Also it seems like you were right on Ms Marvel having her powerset changed in the show. If the inhumans origins is changed as well as has been rumored then I'm skipping on the show altogether.

Whelp, I finally got around to watching Black Widow last night after work. I was simply not engaged. It was more Marvel fun, the action and humor, but I found myself not caring about the story.

Can't blame you. I enjoyed parts of Black Widow and really loved Yelena and the post credit scene, but the Taskmaster twist killed that movie for me. Very dumb. Mandarin in IM3 twist level of dumb IMO.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I've never cared for Black Widow so the movie did nothing for me. I don't think MCU did anything special with her throughout the saga.

ManaByte

Looks like Disney has found a way to cancel Letitia Wright while avoiding a Gina Carano controversy.

Logistical challenges await for studios that are working with stars who haven’t gotten the shot. Disney’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever star Letitia Wright — who portrays the lead Shuri, the sister of Black Panther T’Challa (the late Chadwick Boseman) — is not vaccinated, sources say. After sustaining an on-set injury in August, the Guyanese-born British actress went home to London.

Now, a return to the U.S. for a possible shoot in Atlanta, where Wakanda Forever is based, could be an issue. On Nov. 8, the CDC implemented rules that require all non-immigrant, non-citizen air travelers to the U.S. be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination status before boarding a plane. Wright is not a U.S. citizen. Disney declined to comment.

sol_bad

an, if Shuri won't be Black Panther, who will?
It'd be pretty horrible if they were willing to recast Shuri but not T'Challa.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
an, if Shuri won't be Black Panther, who will?
It'd be pretty horrible if they were willing to recast Shuri but not T'Challa.

I thought they were introducing that one character from the comics to replace him? I don't know her name but she kind of seems like a female version of Iron Man.

Shuri isn't being recast, there are stories of the actress returning to set following an injury, amongst others.

sol_bad

I thought they were introducing that one character from the comics to replace him? I don't know her name but she kind of seems like a female version of Iron Man.

Shuri isn't being recast, there are stories of the actress returning to set following an injury, amongst others.

You mean Riri Williams / Ironheart?
I think she will be in the film but she won't be the Black Panther, she isn't even Wakandan as far as I know. As for Shuri / Leticia Wright, she seems to be strongly against the vaccine and Disney / Marvel seem to be strongly for the vaccine. What happens if they can't agree on something and come to a compromise?

ManaByte

She can't return if she's not vaccinated. She went to London when she got injured. Now there's a rule in place that non-citizens must be vaccinated to enter the country.

Top Bottom