• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $22 Billion

sol_bad

Feige had to answer to Perlmutter at that time. Perlmutter was the big boss then and could veto or change directions of the movies. Now Feige only answers to Bergmann and Chapek and he pretty much has carte blanche veto power.

You can disagree with it but it's undoubtedly different.

So magically he doesn't have to report to Chapek? Of course he does and Chapek could still veto things if he wanted to. Fact of the matter is Perlmutter had absolutely nothing to do with the Mandarin twist.

You can disagree with a fact if you want but Feige liked the Mandarin twist idea, just the same as he liked the Taskmaster twist idea.

Last edited:
So magically he doesn't have to report to Chapek? Of course he does and Chapek could still veto things if he wanted to. Fact of the matter is Perlmutter had absolutely nothing to do with the Mandarin twist.

You can disagree with a fact if you want but Feige liked the Mandarin twist idea, just the same as he liked the Taskmaster twist idea.

I specifically said Feige reports only to Bergmann and Chapek, so not sure what your point is regarding Chapek.

Feige had different bosses during Ironman 3 and Black Widow. That's the fact that you are disagreeing with.

sol_bad

I specifically said Feige reports only to Bergmann and Chapek, so not sure what your point is regarding Chapek.

Feige had different bosses during Ironman 3 and Black Widow. That's the fact that you are disagreeing with.

No, I agree with that fact, I know Feige reported to Perlmutter during IM3. My original point is that Perlmutter had zero influence on the Mandarin twist.

Feige liked the Mandarin twist and he liked the Taskmaster twist. It doesn't matter who his boss was or is at the time. Both scenarios fell on Feige.

ManaByte

Feige liked the Mandarin twist and he liked the Taskmaster twist. It doesn't matter who his boss was or is at the time. Both scenarios fell on Feige.
Feige liked the twist so much he retconned it before the movie even hit Blu-Ray with the one shot.

sol_bad

Feige liked the twist so much he retconned it before the movie even hit Blu-Ray with the one shot.

Pearce also wrote and directed the Hail the King short as well. The short was released on the Thor:The Dark World blu ray a year later.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
These fan-made posters or whatever always kill me with their corniness - but this is a movie or show I'd love to see

ArIIbLm.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

1. Does Tobey Maguire want to do it
2. Is there an emotional arc for him?
3. Is there a great conflict?
4. Is there a worthy villain?

OK Sam, so you're asking if the actor wants to it and whether or not someone can write a good script for it?

YukiOnna

I'm pretty sure he does and there's plenty they can figure out for it. Villain and conflict is the easiest to get right, lol.

My Show Rankings

Loki: B+
Moon Knight: B+
Hawkeye: B+
WandaVision: C
What If?: C
Falcon And The Winter Soldier: D

Ms. Marvel:
She-Hulk:
I Am Groot:
Secret Invasion:
Iron Heart:
Armor Wars:
Echo:
Agatha House of Harkness:
Spider-Man Freshman Year:
Marvel Zombie:
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special:

My Movie Rankings

Doctor Strange In The Mountain of Madness: A+
Eternals: B+
Shang-Chi: B
Spider-Man No Way Home: D
Black Widow: D

Thor Love And Thunder:
Black Panther Wakanda Forever:
Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania:
Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 3:
The Marvels:

Overall Rankings

Doctor Strange In The Mountain of Madness: A+
Loki: B+
Moon Knight: B+
Hawkeye: B+
Eternals: B+
Shang-Chi: B
WandaVision: C
What If?: C
Spider-Man No Way Home: D
Falcon And The Winter Soldier: D
Black Widow: D

Currently Updated

I really wanted to see Doctor Strange. In a way I regret it but I was in no mood for it today and I just kind of lost interest.

It has nothing to do with reviews or anything like that.

Just life shit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really wanted to see Doctor Strange. In a way I regret it but I was in no mood for it today and I just kind of lost interest.

It has nothing to do with reviews or anything like that.

Just life shit.

We were actually going to see it until we pulled up and saw that the theater was obviously sold out. We opted to wait until things die down. I just hope I don't get spoiled by some asshole on Twitter or someplace first.

We were actually going to see it until we pulled up and saw that the theater was obviously sold out. We opted to wait until things die down. I just hope I don't get spoiled by some asshole on Twitter or someplace first.
Even though I'm probably going to wait until Disney Plus, I want to avoid spoilers because this movie was at the top of my list to see.

Depression sucks.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
whoa the series end to Moon Knight. I didn't think they were going to go that hard at the end but they did

Jake is essentially a heartless serial killer

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
whoa the series end to Moon Knight. I didn't think they were going to go that hard at the end but they did

Jake is essentially a heartless serial killer

I didn't really like the ending of MoonKnight. But I'm starting to think it's due to me not ever knowing this character before March of this year. It's clearly talking to people that know the character more.

With Moon Knight being the most violent MCU show to date, Dr. Strange 2 being the most violent MCU movie to date, and Eternals having people banging in it then I feel like Marvel Studios and Disney should bring the Marvel Knights/Marvel MAX logo and start playing that in front of some of these projects. Put that in the branding and marketing for the more adult and mature projects. Easy way for parents to differentiate what's okay for the kiddos and what is not.

Doom85

With Moon Knight being the most violent MCU show to date, Dr. Strange 2 being the most violent MCU movie to date, and Eternals having people banging in it then I feel like Marvel Studios and Disney should bring the Marvel Knights/Marvel MAX logo and start playing that in front of some of these projects. Put that in the branding and marketing for the more adult and mature projects. Easy way for parents to differentiate what's okay for the kiddos and what is not.

The problem with this is that would essentially be cutting off younger viewers from getting resolutions to certain story arcs and character arcs. If Dr. Strange 2 had been rated R, that would be preventing kids from seeing follow ups to plot lines from Dr. Strange and WandaVision. That’s not really fair to them, and nothing in these stories demands a R rating to work.

Now they have said Deadpool 3 will be R and that’s fine. The first two were R and as long as Deadpool 3 doesn’t continue other MCU plot lines and such but mostly stands alone that would work. If a movie or series is to be R, it has to be new and mostly stand on its own. Even continued stories that got darker as they progressed like Harry Potter didn’t progress pass PG-13 territory.

The problem with this is that would essentially be cutting off younger viewers from getting resolutions to certain story arcs and character arcs. If Dr. Strange 2 had been rated R, that would be preventing kids from seeing follow ups to plot lines from Dr. Strange and WandaVision. That’s not really fair to them, and nothing in these stories demands a R rating to work.

Now they have said Deadpool 3 will be R and that’s fine. The first two were R and as long as Deadpool 3 doesn’t continue other MCU plot lines and such but mostly stands alone that would work. If a movie or series is to be R, it has to be new and mostly stand on its own. Even continued stories that got darker as they progressed like Harry Potter didn’t progress pass PG-13 territory.

I understand what you're saying but I have heard from a fair number of people who were unhappy with Eternals sex scene. I overheard a couple of people saying they were aghast how violent Dr. Strange 2 was.

Between getting kids to miss some story arcs that can be summarized in five minutes in that Marvel Legends on Disney+ OR having parents pissed off to the point where they can't trust to take their kids to watch the Marvel brand anymore then they are better off choosing the former. Iger - when he was CEO - touched on this. Hell I'm not gonna watch Miss Marvel. That's not for me. It's for a younger demographic. I will catch up on the summarized version so I don't miss any future plots. Similar to what kids would have to do.

Marvel is supposed to be a family affair. That's what people have come to expect from the MARVEL STUDIOS logo. Moon Knight, Dr. Strange 2 are certainly not that. They may not be rated R, but that's semantical anyways. They have some scenes that are definitely not for kids. It's pushing the PG-13 to another level. I'd be more comfortable with my 13 year old nephew watching a rated R movie like The Departed than I would my 9 year old niece watching Dr. Strange 2. I told my sister not to take her to watch Dr. Strange 2 and her favorite super hero is Wanda.

I stand by what I said they are at the point where they need Marvel Knights/Marvel MAX sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Also regarding standing on its own. That's what Marvel tries to do with EVERY project, so nothing new. If they didn't the entry level and new CAC at this point would be prohibitive. I read from some folks who didn't watch Wandavision and they were able to follow the plot just fine on DS2. Of course those of us who did watch Wandavision and What If we got a bit more from it.

Last edited:

Doom85

I don’t think Dr. Strange 2 was THAT bad. Like, come on, Indiana Jones films have had more violent moments than that. Star Wars has had countless arm decapitations (the first one even having blood). And as for the horror/jump scare aspect of Strange 2, there are films in the PG category that have that, see Return to Oz, Coraline, Ichabod Crane, etc. Honestly, some horror could do developing kids some good (though of course a select few with specific mental issues and such are the exception) in learning to overcome scary situations, hell the movie even discusses Strange confronting what frightens him. I’m not saying kids should be watching The Exorcist or Hereditary, but there’s a big difference between those films and Dr. Strange 2.

Also, there’s a difference between being unable to watch something and choosing not to. A kid not being able to watch a R rated entry is not the same as you choosing to not watch Ms. Marvel. You have an option, they don’t. And for the record, I’m 35 and will be watching Ms. Marvel. Nothing in the trailer suggested the demographic was exclusive to one age range even if it might be focused there (honestly the tone feels very similar to the first two Holland Spidey films, so I really am baffled why some people are acting like this series feels aimed significantly younger than anything prior in the MCU). And I enjoy her comics because I remember being that age and also having issues with being awkward, mocked for liking nerdy things (in the early 2000’s, nerdy media wasn’t as mainstream yet obviously), etc. Really, a focused demographic is often meaningless to point out. A good story/cast is good no matter the content rating or primary (but not exclusive) demographic. My mother who is in her 60’s probably wasn’t the primary audience that the people who made the Zombieland movies we’re aiming for and yet she honestly considers them amongst her favorite movies she’s seen.

And no way would I have a hypothetical kid of mind watching The Departed if they couldn’t even handle Dr. Strange 2. The only way they would be comparable is if 2/3 through the movie Dr. Strange just walked into a room and was shot in the head instantly and permanently died with no fanfare, and also the movie had way more cussing and adult humor. Now THAT would be fucked up to show to pre-teens and younger.

Olsen wants Wanda to be in the X-Men. <3

No, you just got me excited! I don't really know what I do next after this movie. I don't really know. I wanna know what fans want and what the ideas are. But I guess you just said it, if we're bringing X-Men back, I'll wanna be there! I have no actual plans yet. I am very excited to talk with Kevin [Feige] about that at some point.

OLSEN: Someone just said, "Because you're bringing in X-Men, Wanda's a part of the X-Men franchise. Why can't Wanda be there too?" In my mind I'm like, "Yeah. Why can't Wanda be with the X-Men too?"

I have no idea. I don't know what I want. I know I want it to matter. There's no reason to continue to tell these stories unless they're really strong, good stories, and that they're adding something to the entirety of the MCU. I will be there if there's a great idea.

I don’t think Dr. Strange 2 was THAT bad. Like, come on, Indiana Jones films have had more violent moments than that. Star Wars has had countless arm decapitations (the first one even having blood). And as for the horror/jump scare aspect of Strange 2, there are films in the PG category that have that, see Return to Oz, Coraline, Ichabod Crane, etc. Honestly, some horror could do developing kids some good (though of course a select few with specific mental issues and such are the exception) in learning to overcome scary situations, hell the movie even discusses Strange confronting what frightens him. I’m not saying kids should be watching The Exorcist or Hereditary, but there’s a big difference between those films and Dr. Strange 2.

Also, there’s a difference between being unable to watch something and choosing not to. A kid not being able to watch a R rated entry is not the same as you choosing to not watch Ms. Marvel. You have an option, they don’t. And for the record, I’m 35 and will be watching Ms. Marvel. Nothing in the trailer suggested the demographic was exclusive to one age range even if it might be focused there (honestly the tone feels very similar to the first two Holland Spidey films, so I really am baffled why some people are acting like this series feels aimed significantly younger than anything prior in the MCU). And I enjoy her comics because I remember being that age and also having issues with being awkward, mocked for liking nerdy things (in the early 2000’s, nerdy media wasn’t as mainstream yet obviously), etc. Really, a focused demographic is often meaningless to point out. A good story/cast is good no matter the content rating or primary (but not exclusive) demographic. My mother who is in her 60’s probably wasn’t the primary audience that the people who made the Zombieland movies we’re aiming for and yet she honestly considers them amongst her favorite movies she’s seen.

And no way would I have a hypothetical kid of mind watching The Departed if they couldn’t even handle Dr. Strange 2. The only way they would be comparable is if 2/3 through the movie Dr. Strange just walked into a room and was shot in the head instantly and permanently died with no fanfare, and also the movie had way more cussing and adult humor. Now THAT would be fucked up to show to pre-teens and younger.

Cool. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:

I love Doctor Strange 2. Was waaaaaay better than Spider-Man No Way Home

Amiga

Namor is supposed to be tall, standout tall. like 6.6'+

They could probably use camera tricks like they did for the Hobbit but in reverse.

Kev Kev

finished wandavision last night.

man, something about these marvel movies (and now tv shows) just finds a way to knock it out of the part every time. admittedly, i am easily entertained, but wandavision was actually meaningful to me. it wasnt just another superhero popcorn flick, it told a really deep, really heart wrenching story, with nuance, and comedy, and mystery, and action and originality and so much more. i fuckin loved it!

wanda hangin onto the idea of her perfect life with vision and how they went about revealing her complete and utter fear and despair of the idea of losing that just broke me. i was getting emotional at certain parts in nearly every episode lol. im also a big baby so it doesnt take much for me.

but damn that was so good! and shes like this bad ass witch now!? awesome. cantw ait to see more of her. and the first episode falcon and winter soldier was phenomenal! cant wait to watch more tonite.

man, something about these marvel movies (and now tv shows) just finds a way to knock it out of the part every time. admittedly, i am easily entertained, but wandavision was actually meaningful to me. it wasnt just another superhero popcorn flick, it told a really deep, really heart wrenching story, with nuance, and comedy, and mystery, and action and originality and so much more. i fuckin loved it!

wanda hangin onto the idea of her perfect life with vision and how they went about revealing her complete and utter fear and despair of the idea of losing that just broke me. i was getting emotional at certain parts in nearly every episode lol. im also a big baby so it doesnt take much for me.

but damn that was so good! and shes like this bad ass witch now!? awesome. cantw ait to see more of her. and the first episode falcon and winter soldier was phenomenal! cant wait to watch more tonite.
I don't know Man, Phase 4 has been a mostly disappointing for me

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am rewatching Spider-Man 3, and for real, this is one of the greatest comic movies ever for all of the wrong reasons.

Look at this champion:

sol_bad

WandaVision is easily top tier for the MCU films. It really delved into Wanda's past. I think that's why this and Ms Marvel are my favourite MCU shows. You get to know the characters in them.

Whereas Loki, Hawkeye and Moonknight just went full steam ahead with their stories, not so much characterisation.

Kev Kev

I am rewatching Spider-Man 3, and for real, this is one of the greatest comic movies ever for all of the wrong reasons.

Look at this champion:

i never saw spiderman 2 and 3 so these memes and gifs from 3 always make me chuckle bc i have no idea wtf is going on.

speaking of that do we know if they are bringing the spiderman films to D+? specifically the tom holland ones? i always wind up missing those and just having to catch them later somehow

WandaVision is easily top tier for the MCU films. It really delved into Wanda's past. I think that's why this and Ms Marvel are my favourite MCU shows. You get to know the characters in them.

Whereas Loki, Hawkeye and Moonknight just went full steam ahead with their stories, not so much characterisation.
yeah i was actually really pissed off about the first couple episodes of wanda vision. i had no idea what was going on and i didnt even like the idea of the sit com being some plot device. in fact it didnt really pick up till episode 4! but in hindsight its great bc they were giving us info about whats going on in wandas head.

once i figured out what was going on i was kind of crushed by how dark it was. visions death was particularly brutal and for her to be so tortured by it was just so sad. and then of course after the scene with her as a child wtching sit coms with her family (i definitely didnt cry at that part either.................) it all made sense. hell of a show, glad i stuck it out.

i just like them all so much! even the ones people hate like dark world (loved it), and the hulk (least favorite of all the MCU but still loved it). looking forward to the rest. gotta find a way to watch the spiderman ones too...

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
i never saw spiderman 2 and 3 so these memes and gifs from 3 always make me chuckle bc i have no idea wtf is going on.

speaking of that do we know if they are bringing the spiderman films to D+? specifically the tom holland ones? i always wind up missing those and just having to catch them later somehow

yeah i was actually really pissed off about the first couple episodes of wanda vision. i had no idea what was going on and i didnt even like the idea of the sit com being some plot device. in fact it didnt really pick up till episode 4! but in hindsight its great bc they were giving us info about whats going on in wandas head.

once i figured out what was going on i was kind of crushed by how dark it was. visions death was particularly brutal and for her to be so tortured by it was just so sad. and then of course after the scene with her as a child wtching sit coms with her family (i definitely didnt cry at that part either.................) it all made sense. hell of a show, glad i stuck it out.

i just like them all so much! even the ones people hate like dark world (loved it), and the hulk (least favorite of all the MCU but still loved it). looking forward to the rest. gotta find a way to watch the spiderman ones too...

Spider-Man 2 might be the best super hero movie ever. And I don't say that lightly. It's a masterpiece. I will buy it for you if you can't watch it streaming somehow.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yeah in some countrys like UK, Japan, Germany,... No way Home is coming to Sky or WOW or whatever it's called now in July

Top Bottom