• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT4| Love You $22 Billion

ManaByte

Feige aiming for the Oscars

yes yes yes oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

That's the whole reason they won't budge from a November release for it. They're going to give it a Best Picture push like Black Panther.

Jethalal

Banned
That's the whole reason they won't budge from a November release for it. They're going to give it a Best Picture push like Black Panther.
Being relatively detached from other MCU properties would boost their chances. Easy for highbrow critics to get in too.

ManaByte

Anyone have any theories or hopes about wandavision and what/who it might introduce? I hope for at least a hint of mutants.

First hint of Mutants seems to be in Falcon and Winter Soldier as they go to Madripoor and there are rumored to be some very minor Mutants in Shang-Chi in July (like Wiz Kid).

WandaVision fucks the multiverse, setting up Spider-Man 3 and then Doctor Strange 2.

sol_bad

To me it seems like Wanda might be under someones control and she is not in control of this pocket reality she is a part of. I hope we see Monica Rambeau's power set and I'm curious to see how they explain where she has been during all the shit that has happened in the MCU for the last 10+ years.

Jethalal

Banned
Not MCU related but can anyone tell me X-Men comic runs to read? I want to get into them, so something basic, I haven't seen the movies and barely know the characters.

sol_bad

Not MCU related but can anyone tell me X-Men comic runs to read? I want to get into them, so something basic, I haven't seen the movies and barely know the characters.

Chris Claremont Uncanny X-Men (#94-279)(Just keep in mind that they are older books and for some people may be harder to read. But this is really where it all started.)
Grant Morrison New X-Men (#114-154)(This book was originally called just X-Men but changed to New X-Men for Morrisons run.)
Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men (#1-24)(The shortest run out of the three, this is the series the I first started reading in 2004, I hadn't read X-Men before this but it still managed to give me feels.)

They are my 3 main recommendations for main X-books.
Chris Claremont also did Uncanny X-Men #444-474 which I also read in 2004 when I started reading comics and I enjoyed this run as well. When these issues came out along with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men Marvel called it a "Reload" "event". It just meant that it was a good "jumping on" point for new readers and I agree with that sentiment, I didn't feel lost when I read them.

Another book I thoroughly enjoyed was Wolverine and the X-Men, this book started after the X-Men Schism event (basically a split between the X-Men teams). I stopped reading X-Men books in 2008 and then returned to reading in 2011 which is when this book released. Again I didn't feel lost with this book, it's a fun and light hearted book, it's about Wolverine being headmaster of the school and the main cast are primarily younger mutant characters. It's written by Jason Aaron and has great art of Chris Bachalo.

Will you be using Marvel Unlimited to do the reading?

*EDIT*
There are the new X-Men books buy Jonathan Hickman as well, I haven't read them yet but have heard they are good. Hickman is really dense with his writing though and slowly builds up his story. If you ever decide to read these, I'd recommend that you look up a Hickman reading order and check out his Fantastic Four and Avengers runs as well. I'm a big fan of his definitely.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Chris Claremont Uncanny X-Men (#94-279)(Just keep in mind that they are older books and for some people may be harder to read. But this is really where it all started.)
Grant Morrison New X-Men (#114-154)(This book was originally called just X-Men but changed to New X-Men for Morrisons run.)
Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men (#1-24)(The shortest run out of the three, this is the series the I first started reading in 2004, I hadn't read X-Men before this but it still managed to give me feels.)

They are my 3 main recommendations for main X-books.
Chris Claremont also did Uncanny X-Men #444-474 which I also read in 2004 when I started reading comics and I enjoyed this run as well. When these issues came out along with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men Marvel called it a "Reload" "event". It just meant that it was a good "jumping on" point for new readers and I agree with that sentiment, I didn't feel lost when I read them.

Another book I thoroughly enjoyed was Wolverine and the X-Men, this book started after the X-Men Schism event (basically a split between the X-Men teams). I stopped reading X-Men books in 2008 and then returned to reading in 2011 which is when this book released. Again I didn't feel lost with this book, it's a fun and light hearted book, it's about Wolverine being headmaster of the school and the main cast are primarily younger mutant characters. It's written by Jason Aaron and has great art of Chris Bachalo.

Will you be using Marvel Unlimited to do the reading?

*EDIT*
There are the new X-Men books buy Jonathan Hickman as well, I haven't read them yet but have heard they are good. Hickman is really dense with his writing though and slowly builds up his story. If you ever decide to read these, I'd recommend that you look up a Hickman reading order and check out his Fantastic Four and Avengers runs as well. I'm a big fan of his definitely.
Comixology Unlimited if they are available on it otherwise I'll have to sail the high seas.

WandaVision looks like tons of fun, also the sort of visual experimentation I've been craving from Marvel for some time. Doctor Strange, Guardians and such had some of it, but they didn't quite reach the heights I wanted from them. This much just be it.

Jethalal

Banned
WandaVision looks like tons of fun, also the sort of visual experimentation I've been craving from Marvel for some time. Doctor Strange, Guardians and such had some of it, but they didn't quite reach the heights I wanted from them. This much just be it.
This and DS2 for sure. This apparently has more VFX shots than Endgame and some mind-blowing set-pieces which are on a big scale. The first few episodes will be like old sitcoms and then like a full-blown Marvel movie.

ManaByte

Deadpool 3 confirmed to be part of the MCU and R-Rated:

“It will be rated R and we are working on a script right now, and Ryan’s overseeing a script right now… It will not be [filming] this year. Ryan is a very busy, very successful actor. We’ve got a number of things we’ve already announced that we now have to make, but it’s exciting for it to have begun. Again, a very different type of character in the MCU, and Ryan is a force of nature, which is just awesome to see him bring that character to life.”

ManaByte

“Well, we're looking a little differently. We're looking at it as developing them as either six hour-episodes, or nine or 10 half-hour episodes,” said Feige. “So, for instance, WandaVision started that way and Falcon and the Winter Soldier as 30 minutes, but because it's streaming, it's Disney+, and the rules have blurred over the years, yes. Some can be 23 minutes. Some can be much longer than that. But She-Hulk, for instance, is being developed as 10 30-minute episodes. Some will be longer and some will be shorter. Loki, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is being developed as six 40-50-minute episodes.”

ManaByte

There’s also been chatter that another Disney tentpole, the Scarlet Johansson-led Marvel adventure “Black Widow,” may follow in the steps of fellow studio release “Raya and the Last Dragon,” which is premiering concurrently in theaters and on Disney Plus for a premium price. Disney insiders continue to deny those whispers. Yet in the age of coronavirus, nothing is being considered — until it is. Sources at Disney disputed reports that Pixar’s “Soul” would premiere on Disney Plus, only to announce a month later that “Soul” would open on Disney Plus.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I didn't care for the movie but wasn't Captain Marvel supposed to replace Iron Man as the next face of the mcu? Is another movie in development?

Last edited:

NickFire

Although I haven't really been jumping up and down over the next movies coming out, I have to give credit to them for how they are handling phase 4 and beyond. Introducing us to the characters who may become more important whenever the next Avengers movie comes out is a really great move. I feel it will really bridge the gap between the really dedicated comics people, and those who only know about the big names. Considering how much money they could probably make in the short term with a rushed Avenger's follow up, I am impressed with their long term strategy.

ManaByte

Although I haven't really been jumping up and down over the next movies coming out, I have to give credit to them for how they are handling phase 4 and beyond. Introducing us to the characters who may become more important whenever the next Avengers movie comes out is a really great move. I feel it will really bridge the gap between the really dedicated comics people, and those who only know about the big names. Considering how much money they could probably make in the short term with a rushed Avenger's follow up, I am impressed with their long term strategy.

Well they're doing both New Avengers (in theaters, with characters like Captain Marvel, Shang-Chi, etc) and then on D+ is Young Avengers with Kate Bishop, Kassie Lang, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez, Ironheart, Wanda & Vision's twins, etc.

sol_bad

I didn't care for the movie but wasn't Captain Marvel supposed to replace Iron Man as the next face of the mcu? Is another movie in development?

Plans can change.
I think one of those big changes was the Multiverse itself, Captain Marvel isn't the best character the lead that sort of plot line.
I think Doctor Strange / Spider-Man / Wanda / America Chavez would be better for that.

Also just look at how Thor: Ragnarok was initially presented and look at what we got. You can tell the internal thought process for that film changed drastically.
35AwlkM.jpg
c8CDVtx.png

Captain Marvel 2 will have 3 Captain Marvel type people.
Brie Larson as Carol Davers / Captain Marvel.
Teyonah Paris as Monica Rambeau / Captain Marvel/Photon/Spectrum (whichever hero name they give her).
Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan / Ms Marvel.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Trying to re-watch all 23 movies before WandaVision, and Thor: The Dark World has the best theme in the MCU still:

Spider-Man Homecoming for me. Fits the movie so well, so sweet and not all that grand. It really suits character at that stage very well. Avengers theme just because how cool and iconic it is.

ManaByte

In a move that is sure to rock the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sources tell Deadline that Chris Evans is cleaning the dust off his Captain America attire as he expected reprise the role in the MCU in some form. Still vague if deal as completely closed but insiders say its headed in that direction for Evans to return as Steve Rogers aka Captain America in at least one Marvel property with the door open for a second film. Sources add it’s unlikely to be a new Captain America installment and more likely to be like what Robert Downey Jr. did after Iron Man 3, appearing in films like Captain America: Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

sol_bad

Everything says it's young Cap and not Old Man Cap.

If it's young cap it might be about his time traveling adventures. I have a feeling he did more than just settle down with Peggy because I imagine he ages slower than everyone else.

ManaByte

If it's young cap it might be about his time traveling adventures. I have a feeling he did more than just settle down with Peggy because I imagine he ages slower than everyone else.

People keep thinking that, but with the multiverse in play anything is on the table.

sol_bad

People keep thinking that, but with the multiverse in play anything is on the table.

This is true but if he is an alternate reality Cap he isn't the Cap we have watched for the last 9 years or so. I want to see our Cap and see his character growth, see how he grew to be so old and see why he abandoned his own reality. Obviously if we do get an alternate reality Cap I'll still be there day one and if they do something radically different with his character I won't be screaming at Marvel for "disrespecting" his character which seems to be a popular thing to do these days.

Jethalal

Banned
ErvQFUSXMAAfCAA
CB061R2719-0008_7.jpg

A pretty good look at the Captain America-Falcon suit.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

It could literally be ANYTHING! I love that he's coming back.

Totally respect this post. I'm crazy excited for the next-line of movies for the very reason you listed. Marvel's showrunners are walking 2 billion miles around DC's right now. Everything seems so well thought out, that even if I don't "love" a movie or Marvel show, I at least understand the thinking behind its existence (beyond just making more money).

sol_bad

I don’t think all of them will watch it. Even more so, I think people subscribe to Disney+ for their kids. It’s not like it has a constant flow of new content for adults.

It has a constant flow of new content now for MCU fans.
In 2021 we get WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, What If... and apparently Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel from Marvel Studios. That's a new episode nearly every week of the year from Marvel. And lets face it, that's a lot of content for MCU fans. I can't imagine any MCU fan not subscribing to the service.
Then at the end of the year is the Boba Fett mini series and season 3 of Mandalorian for Star Wars fans. Next year will really kick off for the Star Wars fans though.

It has a constant flow of new content now for MCU fans.
In 2021 we get WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, What If... and apparently Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel from Marvel Studios. That's a new episode nearly every week of the year from Marvel. And lets face it, that's a lot of content for MCU fans. I can't imagine any MCU fan not subscribing to the service.
Then at the end of the year is the Boba Fett mini series and season 3 of Mandalorian for Star Wars fans. Next year will really kick off for the Star Wars fans though.
One episode per week is a constant flow of new content?

sol_bad

One episode per week is a constant flow of new content?

Well ... yes .... it is. Original content made for Disney+. Not a catalogue film or TV show that they are slapping on their services.
What are you expecting from MCU related releases? Weekly movie releases that cost them 150 million+ to produce?
IMO, as an MCU fan I'm happy to pay $2.25 a week for an episode of MCU goodness.

*EDIT*
You don't see any other network/cable/streaming service offer a weekly episode of high quality and expensive original programming nearly every single week of the year.
HBO for example had Westworld and Lovecraft Country in 2020. That's 17 episodes. What other original content did they have for the rest of the year?

Last edited:
Well ... yes .... it is. Original content made for Disney+. Not a catalogue film or TV show that they are slapping on their services.
What are you expecting from MCU related releases? Weekly movie releases that cost them 150 million+ to produce?
IMO, as an MCU fan I'm happy to pay $2.25 a week for an episode of MCU goodness.
The original point was about the amount of original content that Disney+ is getting, not just MCU content. It is not much.

I forgot this thread existed here.

Posted this in a couple of different forums. Will copy/paste and post it here as well. I'll say upfront I'm not a lawyer and I am probably wrong.

I was searching for Fox's agreement with Universal on theme park rights for the Simpsons and may have bumped into the Marvel Paramount contract, which according to Marvel is pretty much the same terms as the Marvel Universal contract. And as usually happens with me when I find such things I go down the rabbit hole lol. I haven't read it like I did the Spider-Man one, but I can tell you that Marvel got MUCH smarter than they were in the 90s. It also confirms what we had figured out because of those ABC planned Hulk TV shows. The only rights that Marvel does not have is the distribution rights to the movies.

It seems to me that the distribution rights that Universal has on Hulk has an expiration date of 15 years + 3 pay TV windows. It would also help explain why Disney hasn't tried to acquire those rights since they weren't as imperative to own to kick off the MCU as the Paramount contract was. Marvel and Paramount amended the 2005 contract in 2008 which meant they had the rights to Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Cap and sequels. Disney HAD to acquire those from Paramount. Hulk could wait, especially if there's an expiration date on the distribution rights.

The other films included in the newly extended Paramount pact are “Thor” in 2010, “Captain America” in 2011, “The Avengers,” also in 2011, and “Iron Man 3,” which does not yet have a release date.

Anyways, be warned. This may be a confusing post. I have spent the past few hours going down this rabbit hole. I may be wrong. Hell I must likely am, so anyone can check the links here and try to figure it out.

Studio Distribution Agreement” means (i) the Paramount Agreement, (ii) the Universal Hulk Agreement (with respect to Distribution Rights related to the Marvel character known as “The Hulk” only)

MVL Productions LLC’s studio distribution agreement with Paramount requires Paramount, at the request of MVL Productions LLC, to distribute up to ten films financed and produced under the film facility. Paramount is required to release each film during one of two prime release periods each year: the Spring/Summer and Fall/Holiday seasons. Under the studio distribution agreement, Paramount has guaranteed MVL Productions LLC wide distribution outside of the Reserved Territories with commensurate advertising and marketing efforts for each film. Included in Paramount’s distribution rights are exclusive theatrical and non-theatrical (e.g., exhibition on airplanes, schools and military installations), home video, pay television and international television distribution rights. Excluded are all distribution rights with respect to the Reserved Territories and free television distribution in the United States. As compensation for its services under the studio distribution agreement, Paramount is permitted to recoup its distribution costs (including print and advertising costs) and expenses for each film from the gross receipts of that film and to receive a distribution fee before we receive our share of gross receipts.

Universal Studios has agreed to distribute Marvel’s film The Incredible Hulk and sequels on essentially the same terms as those on which Paramount has agreed to distribute the other films financed and produced under the film facility.

This is the amended Studio Distribution Agreement mentioned above.

4. Distribution Rights: Paramount shall have the following rights with respect to each Committed Picture, each Additional Committed Picture, if applicable, each Qualifying Sequel and each Optional Picture for which Marvel has delivered notice to Paramount pursuant to Section 2.B, in the Territory (collectively the “Paramount Distribution Rights”) during the Distribution Term:

A.The exclusive Theatrical Distribution Rights;

B.The exclusive Non-Theatrical Distribution Rights;

6. Distribution Term: Paramount shall have the right to exercise its Paramount Distribution Rights with respect to each Picture for an initial period of 15 years commencing on the initial Theatrical Exhibition of such Picture (the “Initial Distribution Term”); subject to extension for United States pay television only, until the expiration of the third window under Paramount’s U.S. Pay Television output deal, if such third window has not been completed as of the expiration of the Initial Distribution Term provided that each U.S. Pay Television Exhibition window shall be no longer than five (5) years; subject to extension with respect to all rights other than U.S. Pay Television for an additional two (2) years from the end of the Initial Distribution Term if at the end of the Initial Distribution Term Paramount has not recouped its Distribution Costs and Expenses with respect to such Picture (the “Distribution Term”).

Reserved Rights: The following rights with respect to each Picture:
i. All rights of any kind and nature now known or hereafter created or conceived in the Reserved Territories;

ii. Free Television Distribution Rights in the United States and Canada, its territories and possessions. Marvel agrees that its exercise of its Free Television Distribution rights shall be subject to customary holdbacks in favor of Paramount’s granted television rights and Paramount’s exercise of its licensed rights is subject to customary holdbacks in favor of the Reserved Rights.

B.
All rights not expressly granted to Paramount, including without limitation, the following rights: merchandising, soundtrack, videogame, publishing (other than free excerpts for marketing purposes), music publishing, production of derivative works and other audio-visual works based on the Marvel Characters and/or Marvel Titles, including without limitation, television and direct-to-video motion pictures, and all rights in and to the Marvel Characters, Marvel Titles and the Marvel Universe. The foregoing shall not restrict Paramount from using the soundtrack to the Picture in timed synchronization to the visual images of the Picture in connection with the exercise by Paramount of its Paramount Distribution Rights provided such use is not separately charged to an end-user.

Hulk was, as we all know was a Universal project and it’s been in development for quite a while. Like all our movies, all our contracts, movies have to meet specific release dates. And if principal photography does not reach a certain date, then we get our properties back the same thing as Iron Man with New Line.

So, as time was - time and development was taking its course, we entered into discussions with Universal. There was a realization that it will be quite difficult for them to make this principal photography date and gave Marvel an opportunity to recoup our rights. In return, Universal will be the distributor for Hulk but will do it on our terms which will give us all rights, all licensing, all revenues and advantageous position on one of our prime properties.

We are very aggressive in development on Hulk and actually its the same situation with Iron Man that we got back from New Line; again, they couldn’t make the principal photography date and gave us an opportunity to recoup and regroup and this is also in development.

Well, Hulk will be distributed by Universal based on our agreement with them. And we will - when the time comes, we’ll decide how we want to fund the Hulk.

Iron Man is not going to be distributed by New Line. It’s up to us where we want to place it. It could end up in Paramount, it could end up somewhere else. And again, we will - at the appropriate time, we’ll - we are developing the project ourselves under the Marvel banner. And when it comes to starting production, we will make a decision if we want to use either the fund or alternate financing these marquee properties. And we feel comfortable that we’ll find the funding to put it forth.

ManaByte

I forgot this thread existed here.

Posted this in a couple of different forums. Will copy/paste and post it here as well. I'll say upfront I'm not a lawyer and I am probably wrong.

I was searching for Fox's agreement with Universal on theme park rights for the Simpsons and may have bumped into the Marvel Paramount contract, which according to Marvel is pretty much the same terms as the Marvel Universal contract. And as usually happens with me when I find such things I go down the rabbit hole lol. I haven't read it like I did the Spider-Man one, but I can tell you that Marvel got MUCH smarter than they were in the 90s. It also confirms what we had figured out because of those ABC planned Hulk TV shows. The only rights that Marvel does not have is the distribution rights to the movies.

It seems to me that the distribution rights that Universal has on Hulk has an expiration date of 15 years + 3 pay TV windows. It would also help explain why Disney hasn't tried to acquire those rights since they weren't as imperative to own to kick off the MCU as the Paramount contract was. Marvel and Paramount amended the 2005 contract in 2008 which meant they had the rights to Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Cap and sequels. Disney HAD to acquire those from Paramount. Hulk could wait, especially if there's an expiration date on the distribution rights.

Anyways, be warned. This may be a confusing post. I have spent the past few hours going down this rabbit hole. I may be wrong. Hell I must likely am, so anyone can check the links here and try to figure it out.

This is the amended Studio Distribution Agreement mentioned above.

So when was the Universal deal signed? What year? If the Hulk deal began with Ang Lee's Hulk; then the rights would've reverted in late 2019 or last year.

And yea it only applies to solo Hulk projects. Anything the Hulk appears in as a supporting character or TV show isn't covered under it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom