• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Midnight Suns | Review Thread

GHG

Gold Member
Well shit, it's actually good. Pleasantly surprised, will pick this up once it gets a slight discount on PC. Actually looking forward to playing it eventually based on what I'm reading.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
After watching ACG's review it's just like I suspected - not exactly what I like (I love big levels in turn-based games) and too repetetive. Gonna pick this up in a deep sale, like when it's 20 bucks for the game + season pass.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
im SUPER happy its getting positive reviews.

I know this game is gonna suffer sales-wise due to poor marketing and its a shame, i hope im wrong.

I can ignore the shit part that Skill Up mentioned, i honestly will prob skim through that crappy dialogue lol
From everything I’ve seen, including dev interviews, it’s a major part of the game. It affects what you can do and what you unlock in the combat section. It’s not like Mass Effect where it is important but can sort of be ignored if you’re not feeling it. It’s more like Persona where the two sides are meant to prop each other up. So yea, make sure that’s what you want.

ManaByte

Gold Member
What is this? A good Marvel game not made by Insomniac?

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News
Widow Montreal made a good one last year.

Topher

Gold Member
Wow.....this came out of nowhere. I didn't even realize it was turn-based. Damn.....add it to the every growing list.

MiguelItUp

I guess I'll wait to maybe check this out on the cheap. It's so strange that the gameplay itself is SO good, but the narrative stuff is so odd.

Per Skill Up's video, it does feel very tonally off to have these super heroes be stuck on such ridiculous and trivial topics. Or stuff that just seems so light hearted and childish. Blade doing Yoga? Book club? Wtf is this? Lmao.

Game looks good and seems to have a bit more meat on its bones than callisto (only 12 hours long for 70)….decisions decisions

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Playable on Steam Deck?

I always see someone posts this question. Why ? isn't all steam games run on deck ? game doesn't look very advanced graphically to worry about the deck.

I thought Deck can run windows too so I am not following the issue

Yea I was thinking of picking up a Steam Deck in the new year and games like this seem perfect so interested if it’s worth grabbing on Steam or even Switch

Not all Steam games run on the Deck, not even close. Valve has a system of verification for games, and they're making their way through tons of them in order to see if the Deck runs them or not.

The Deck can indeed run Windows, but it's primarily a Linux device that uses a code layer to facilitate running games that aren't Linux native. There are myriad reasons why games don't run well, or indeed at all, on the Steam Deck, mainly things like performance, controls, and such. Some games don't support changing their resolution to that of the Deck, others are super mouse-heavy (the Deck has touchpads to use as a mouse, but some games don't work well with it), etc.

Unfortunately, it's just a given then for Steam Deck owners to instantly question if a game runs well or at all on the Deck. Others can probably explain it better than I can.

Sadly, Steam Deck is not supported yet. Doesn't mean it isn't playable though. Seems like it would be a good candidate for the Deck though.

Planning on playing Marvel’s Midnight Suns on Steam Deck? Well, you might have to hold off, as 2K says it isn’t officially supported. The comic book caper might still technically run on Valve’s handheld gaming PC, but you should be mindful of minimum specs when playing on the go.

During a chat with Firaxis Games’ Jake Solomon, we asked whether Marvel’s Midnight Suns Steam Deck support is on the cards. In response, the creative director revealed that it won’t be an official platform at launch, but the studio apparently has “plans for that at some point.”

In addition, 2K clarified Marvel’s Midnight Suns Steam Deck compatibility, reiterating that it’s “not an officially supported platform.” Thankfully, the publisher also says it has plans to obtain Verified status after launch, so it may end up on Valve’s ‘Great on Deck’ list, providing it meets the storefront’s strict requirements.

It’s worth noting that ‘Unsupported’ Steam Deck status doesn’t necessarily mean a game is incompatible. Valve’s verification system is more of a handy heads-up than a blocker in itself, designed to help you avoid performance woes and game-breaking glitches.

We can confirm that Midnight Suns will launch on Steam Deck, but we haven’t fully tested the Marvel game on the handheld. 2K specifically says it doesn’t “feature optimisations,” which means you might struggle to boost fps and maintain fidelity.

Speaking of which, Marvel’s Midnight Suns system requirements specifically list full desktop graphics cards, meaning the Deck’s AMD APU technically falls short. That’s not to say the handheld innards aren’t up to the task, especially if you’re using its built-in 720p display. However, if you usually use the best Steam Deck dock paired with a higher-resolution monitor, you should brace yourself for the usual minimum spec performance caveats.

Steam Deck shenanigans aside, we think Firaxis Games’ comic book crossover is a triumph, and our Marvel’s Midnight Suns review says it successfully moulds the XCOM formula into something super.

CamHostage

I loved the Xcom games, ddint know this was made the same guys. Card based though, never liked those types of games before...

Serious question: why do think you do not like them?

I think gamers have an inherent distrust for card-based RPG/strategy games because of all the shitty card-based games we see on mobile or web or PC, but cards can actually be a robust and tactical and easy-to-play way to build strategic gameplay; it also works great in multiplayer (albeit it doesn't matter here) since you're always on edge for what big cards he's hiding in his deck.

I kind of get you, my first reaction when I see one is, "Oh, another one of these...", but a well-designed card strategy game can be just as engaging as any stats-based RPG. Maybe bad games have set us on edge, but there are certainly very good ones out there. Also, maybe also the artifice of having individual cards for moves removes you from the reality of the game (they also play badly in trailers, which is one reason Midnight Suns looked like a dud until reviews came out,) but it's not like there's a lot of reality when your RPG hero is in a battle going, "This 80-foot-tall demon is murdering me, I'd better eat a turkey leg to stay alive a bit longer..."

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member

I think gamers have an inherent distrust for card-based RPG/strategy games because of all the shitty card-based games we see on mobile or web or PC, but cards can actually be a robust and tactical and easy-to-play way to build strategic gameplay; it also works great in multiplayer (albeit it doesn't matter here) since you're always on edge for what big cards he's hiding in his deck.

A well-designed card strategy game can be just as engaging as any stats-based RPG, and maybe the artifice of having individual cards for moves removes you from the reality of the game (they also play badly in trailers, which is one reason Midnight Suns looked like a dud until reviews came out,) but it's not like there's a lot of reality when your RPG hero is in a battle going, "This 80-foot-tall demon is murdering me, I'd better eat a turkey leg to stay alive a bit longer..."
honestly I wonder if people who say they hate card-based stuff have ever actually tried out stuff like Slay the Spire or Monster Train instead of the 'free' mobile games

diffusionx

Gold Member

I kind of get you, my first reaction when I see one is, "Oh, another one of these...", but a well-designed card strategy game can be just as engaging as any stats-based RPG. Maybe bad games have set us on edge, but there are certainly very good ones out there. Also, maybe also the artifice of having individual cards for moves removes you from the reality of the game (they also play badly in trailers, which is one reason Midnight Suns looked like a dud until reviews came out,) but it's not like there's a lot of reality when your RPG hero is in a battle going, "This 80-foot-tall demon is murdering me, I'd better eat a turkey leg to stay alive a bit longer..."
I don’t like deck building, and I don’t like the randomness that comes with it.

I bought Slay the Spire and just didn’t like it at all.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I guess I'll wait to maybe check this out on the cheap. It's so strange that the gameplay itself is SO good, but the narrative stuff is so odd.

Per Skill Up's video, it does feel very tonally off to have these super heroes be stuck on such ridiculous and trivial topics. Or stuff that just seems so light hearted and childish. Blade doing Yoga? Book club? Wtf is this? Lmao.
I feel like this is the sort of game that could use a demo. The previews made it seem SO unexciting and stupid, quite frankly, and a demo would help people like me wrap their heads around it.

sainraja

People are excited about a game getting good reviews. Why is that sad?
No no, not that (not sad over the game getting good scores). Just sad to see or finally realize how much influence a review score can have for a game.
Speaking purely of the influence it can have....or the power that it has.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It can be fun for sure. One thing to remember is this card system skews pretty heavily towards mobile when gathering. You have a number of stations that tell you text for missions. Assign a hero to that mission and they just disappear to come back later with a card or item. During that time of course they can't be used for anything. Talking, battles, birthday parties, book clubs and such.
You sometimes get them at the end of particular playable battles (rare). Also in another collection system, the particles from each hero you gain. You then have Tony analyze them to get more cards. That you then take to another station to combine them if you have the money. Lastly, you can build them in another section with DR strange and Tony, if you have other collected bits like blueprints and that cards energy type.
That sounds awful. How is the game reviewing so well if this is true?

Karak

That sounds awful. How is the game reviewing so well if this is true?
Well because some dont see those systems as something that bothers them. Or some didn't care as much as me. It is something that happens with every single game. There is always someone who isn't with the group lol.

I will say also I don't do a ton of mobile games. And I do think that the mobile-like elements in this hit me harder than they do others who spend a good time on their phones and are much more accustomed to those kinds of deliveries.
But since I am seeing a couple reviewers, and some lets players agree with those thoughts. I personally don't feel that its not noticed thats for sure.

I did find it interesting how many people got to the end of my review and watched the raw footage and had the same question as you lol. I do think that it tests patience, and even in the GLOWING reviews, they brought up a ton of the same things but seemed relatively unfazed by the mobile-style parts, the super small areas, or the repeating of content.

Also and this is just me with a bit of a tinfoil hat. I sort of felt that "there are nothing but cosmetic micros" in our game. Message to be timed to sort of get a good bump of mental attention. I bring that up because I missed it at first(the mention of none) and so when I was playing it and seeing all these NONE money, but super grindy elements, I didn't have that big gesture of no microtransactions hit me. The timing of a message is super important and its not the first time that we sort of get that in game coverage. No shade on that, I just mean the timing works.

All in all. I don't care if I wasn't a fan. I hope those who buy it get some fun out of it because its not remotely as bad as some games I have played lol

Last edited:
I will say also I don't do a ton of mobile games. And I do think that the mobile-like elements in this hit me harder than they do others who spend a good time on their phones and are much more accustomed to those kinds of deliveries.
But since I am seeing a couple reviewers, and some lets players agree with those thoughts. I personally don't feel that its not noticed thats for sure.

I did find it interesting how many people got to the end of my review and watched the raw footage and had the same question as you lol. I do think that it tests patience, and even in the GLOWING reviews, they brought up a ton of the same things but seemed relatively unfazed by the mobile-style parts, the super small areas, or the repeating of content...
thanks for this. while the game may not be set in the dc universe, it sounds like pure kryptonite to me...

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Haven't seen any footage/reviews yet but I am replaying XCOM enemy within right now and it is reminding me how great Firaxis is at making addictive strategy game. I think I am going to check some reviews and decide if I want to buy this one immediately.

Salz01

You can almost always skip or speed through talking sections. HOWEVER, the game doesn't alert you to whats coming up. This means sometimes a choice pops up about something you don't know what people talked about. Or you can skip right past giving your other superfriends the random gifts you buy. Losing out on extra love
Man, that sucks. This is going to be a deep deep sale for me or wait for gamepass. Thanks for the response.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So can you assemble your favorite 90’s X-Men team in 90’s costumes or is this “we choose the character for each scenario” kinda thing? I hated the direction of the story in Avengers. Marvel is beyond whatever I fell in love with in the 90’s.

Hoppa

On the fence about this one.. I’ll probably like the game fine but haven’t seen any mention of console performance. Can’t be a good sign

Last edited:

Neolombax

The socializing part of the game took me by surprise, didn't think it was such a prominent feature in the game. Maybe I'll get it at a discount, or maybe just wait until it drops for PS Plus or something. I honestly didn't mind that much that it has Marvel characters, the action part of the game looks really good. But a book club? Fishing? I have mixed feelings about this.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I absolutely hate when reviews are out for a multi platform game and it is not clearly stated what version was being played.

How is it holding on Switch?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So, there is definitely something up with the PC version of the game as no one playing the console version is reporting the stuttering going on, which kind of leads me to suspect this is all on the DRM. The game works 99% of the time, but when that stutter occurs it is ugly and is clearly not something fundamental to the game itself (since it doesn't trigger everytime an ability is used).

. . .also, maintaining the in-combat aesthetic for the cutscenes, free roaming gameplay was a bad choice. It looks like machinima instead of - so far - a pretty decent comic book yarn.

Other than that definitely recommend if you like strategy games and FE:TH (the story so far has that wonderful campiness to it that you're meant to take seriously, but not seriously).

splattered

I will def pick this up on sale... i do like games like this. It's a shame they couldnt have gotten both great characters and story along with the solid gameplay.

Top Bottom