• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Midnight Suns | Review Thread

Just a heads up: the videos at the beginning of the game don’t play full screen for some reason but everything after that bit does. Just in case anyone gets worried and thinks it’s a settings problem.

And to the guy who asked earlier there’s no performance mode, video settings is just gamma and that’s it.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's pounding my GPU but will try streaming it here for a bit if anyone's interested, seems to run fine in mission ~100fps, but in the hub it can drop to as low as 34 for some reason; shader compilation stutter is kinda annoying:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No one seems to be talking about this game. Callisto Protocol has taken a lot of people’s attention, and not in a good way. Kind of a shame.

I watched a few YouTube videos. Game looks like a blast. Different than I expected, gameplay wise and in between the missions.

OsirisBlack

Banned
No one seems to be talking about this game. Callisto Protocol has taken a lot of people’s attention, and not in a good way. Kind of a shame.

I watched a few YouTube videos. Game looks like a blast. Different than I expected, gameplay wise and in between the missions.
I got this and callisto they are both very good. I think I like midnight sons more. Ghost Rider is ridiculous.

It's pounding my GPU but will try streaming it here for a bit if anyone's interested, seems to run fine in mission ~100fps, but in the hub it can drop to as low as 34 for some reason; shader compilation stutter is kinda annoying:

It’s not the most stable at that the Abbey too on Series X either, it’s 30 fps capped there and seems to be a bit off on the frame rate especially around the forested areas, it’s not being really overly stuttery or anything, then again you don’t really do much at the Abbey but jog around so it’s not a place that you can really push the framerate around.

Combat though is smooth as hell (framerate and all) for a turn based game, but in general the game look’s a generation and a half behind. It’s kinda like Persona where it gets a pass on the rough edges based on it’s other qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Has anyone managed the PS5 controller to work with the game on PC?

Yes. But you aren't going to get PS icons, because apparently including icon packs in a game is just too taxing on an already stretched thing budget. . .I guess.

amigastar

Yes. But you aren't going to get PS icons, because apparently including icon packs in a game is just too taxing on an already stretched thing budget. . .I guess.
Can you tell me how i get rumble to work on the game with PS5 controller?
Edit: ok with DS4Windows program i have a little bit of rumble in the game.

Last edited:
rZ0CCRw.jpg

LOL Why do I think everyone is going to take this the wrong way? 🤣

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It’s not the most stable at that the Abbey too on Series X either, it’s 30 fps capped there and seems to be a bit off on the frame rate especially around the forested areas
I disabled the 2k launcher on pc, and I'm now getting 60+ fps in the abbey, I'm guessing the console version probably has RT enabled.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is an excellent game that is blemished by some really odd quirks. The shader caching needs to be fixed like yesterday, I don't know why we can't take subtitles off (make it that you have to click the skip button to bring the dialogue up), the FPS drops are unacceptable and its odd that the cutscene quality is so varied (like the Hunter up close and characters in their "Character" screen look good, but then a cutscene will play like it's rendering on old generation hardware). . .but I'll be damned if the actual gameplay isn't exactly what I hoped it was: both in the Abbey and in Combat. I really love the "reinforcement" system, that basically says, "Sure, you can take all the time you want, but we're going to keep throwing enemies at you" and the interactivity with objects in the combat arena helps give this that "Yeah we're in a superhero brawl" vibe.

If you're not expecting TLOU level of seriousness in the writing and can accept that this is going for pure "comic book" flair, then really should take a look at this one, especially if they can get their head out of their asses regarding these stupid ass issues (like honestly, are we not in an era where XBOX and PS icons are standard for any game with controller support; hell indie games do this stupidly simple thing).

Can you tell me how i get rumble to work on the game with PS5 controller?
Edit: ok with DS4Windows program i have a little bit of rumble in the game.

I'm not sure it's natively supported; I didn't even know it had rumble support. It will recognize the Dualsense natively though (as a XInput device I think).

Last edited:

Certinty

Shame the game is so long as I have more interest in the story and interactions than the actual strategy part.

Jennings

Shame the game is so long as I have more interest in the story and interactions than the actual strategy part.
The story and interactions ARE the long part.

Unless you're one of those people that takes half an hour to consider your every chess move, the strategy part is significantly less than one third the game and can be zipped right through. Plus, there's an expansive difficulty settings system in place to speed things up even more in the bit of the game it sounds like you'd prefer to sail through.

Last edited:

amigastar

This is an excellent game that is blemished by some really odd quirks. The shader caching needs to be fixed like yesterday, I don't know why we can't take subtitles off (make it that you have to click the skip button to bring the dialogue up), the FPS drops are unacceptable and its odd that the cutscene quality is so varied (like the Hunter up close and characters in their "Character" screen look good, but then a cutscene will play like it's rendering on old generation hardware). . .but I'll be damned if the actual gameplay isn't exactly what I hoped it was: both in the Abbey and in Combat. I really love the "reinforcement" system, that basically says, "Sure, you can take all the time you want, but we're going to keep throwing enemies at you" and the interactivity with objects in the combat arena helps give this that "Yeah we're in a superhero brawl" vibe.

If you're not expecting TLOU level of seriousness in the writing and can accept that this is going for pure "comic book" flair, then really should take a look at this one, especially if they can get their head out of their asses regarding these stupid ass issues (like honestly, are we not in an era where XBOX and PS icons are standard for any game with controller support; hell indie games do this stupidly simple thing).

I'm not sure it's natively supported; I didn't even know it had rumble support. It will recognize the Dualsense natively though (as a XInput device I think).
Yeah, game is really great so far, i'm 3 hours in and want to play more.

I’d be keen to get your thoughts on how it performs on console? Thinking of getting this on PS..
I’m on PS5 and after a few hours I haven’t really had any issues I can point to.

As to my overall thoughts, the game is, so far, better than I was expecting when it comes to the Abbey. The dialog is not as cringy as I thought (although I anticipate this will change some) and is actually funny at times. The combat is as good as I thought and the rumble in the controller adds some flair. Story seems interesting and I’m on board! Streamed a couple hours from the PS5 to SteamDeck and had no issues reading anything. I’m enjoying it!

Only negatives are it’s a little campy and the graphics are all over the place. At times they look great and at other times they look terrible. That said, they look great in combat.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I’m on PS5 and after a few hours I haven’t really had any issues I can point to.

As to my overall thoughts, the game is, so far, better than I was expecting when it comes to the Abbey. The dialog is not as cringy as I thought (although I anticipate this will change some) and is actually funny at times. The combat is as good as I thought and the rumble in the controller adds some flair. Story seems interesting and I’m on board! Streamed a couple hours from the PS5 to SteamDeck and had no issues reading anything. I’m enjoying it!

Only negatives are it’s a little campy and the graphics are all over the place. At times they look great and at other times they look terrible. That said, they look great in combat.
Excellent to hear! will probably pick it up next week. Yeah from what I’ve seen the graphics don’t look great - the character models and animations especially but the gameplay looks fun enough

marjo

I'm really enjoying this so far. A lot. I was getting some stutters on PC until I turned off ray tracing. It's been smooth since then.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When you start you can choose normal or easy. Everything else is locked. As you play you can unlock higher and higher difficulties.

Gracias.

If it really is a 100~ hour game, I'd rather start on easy so I don't get into bottleneck or choke situations 50 hours in. Rather be over powered than under leveled.

graywolf323

anyone else having issues linking their 2K account? I finally got it to recognize my email as an actual email but then it said my 2K account was already linked to another account which makes no sense since it's link to my only PSN ID

edit: I got it to work but I had to go to their website, unlink my PSN account, and then link it anew from within the game :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Empathy

Arsic

Gold Member
I originally had the game max everything , 4K, ray tracing on but was experiencing stutter. Turned off Ray Tracing and it’s all fine. This is on a 3080.

Anyone else holding 60fps somehow with RT on at 4k? Not sure what I would tweak with minimal visuals loss.

RNG

PCMR folks put this into your launch parameters on Steam: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel's Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" %command%

It'll disable the 2K launcher and completely remove all the stuttering.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I originally had the game max everything , 4K, ray tracing on but was experiencing stutter. Turned off Ray Tracing and it’s all fine. This is on a 3080.

Anyone else holding 60fps somehow with RT on at 4k? Not sure what I would tweak with minimal visuals loss.

The stuttering is because of shader compilation. You notice it will only happen once when a new ability is triggered or there are special effects in a cutscene. You can test this by replaying a cutscene or turn when the stutter occured.

As for 4K/60, the game has frame drops and needs a performance pass so might as well just live with the drops (the games art style is easier to deal with in 4K).

PCMR folks put this into your launch parameters on Steam: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Marvel's Midnight Suns\MidnightSuns\Binaries\Win64\MidnightSuns-Win64-Shipping.exe" %command%

It'll disable the 2K launcher and completely remove all the stuttering.

What is a PCMR and why would that command remove stuttering? All it does is bypass the launcher and just launches the game with the games executable.

What is a PCMR and why would that command remove stuttering? All it does is bypass the launcher and just launches the game with the games executable.

PC Master Race

I don't know but I feel like it does run better and load quicker. I will do further testing today.
Disable RT as well - that messes up performance no matter the hardware.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It doesn't remove the stutters since those are caused by shader compilation, but the launcher does degrade general performance, making the stutters worse and causing big framedrops; I went from very irregular fps, all the way down to mid twenties, to 60+ average in the abbey

Shifty1897

It's interesting, I figured anyone who knew how to add command line parameters to bypass a launcher would also know what PCMR means.

poodaddy

You can always tell when the person who did the bench press animation has never bench pressed. Too fucking funny dude.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
PC Master Race

I don't know but I feel like it does run better and load quicker. I will do further testing today.
Disable RT as well - that messes up performance no matter the hardware.

Interesting; I saw it had the launcher before the game finished downloading so I've never played it without it. I can't imagine what more stuttery looks like with it. Christ.

It's interesting, I figured anyone who knew how to add command line parameters to bypass a launcher would also know what PCMR means.

. . .always fun to find new ways to be surprised.

Mister Wolf

I'm enjoying it so far. Running it maxed out including raytracing at 4K DLSS qualitiy and getting around 70 FPS with a 3080TI. My only irk is the shader compilation stutter when you do a new move for the first time.

Freeman76

I so want to play this. I loved Xcom and Xcom 2, the depth in the battles kept me engaged for hours The problem is I dont think I could handle all the other aspects of this game. I VERY rarely find videogame stories anything other than mindless drivel, and to think its a huge aspect of this game is a shame as I know I will pay attention for the first hour and then lose interest in listening to any of it, start skipping it and then get fed up everytime a cutscene pops up. When its 40% off I will probably buy it for the turn based battles as that looks brilliant.

It actually feels like a SJRPG in a lot of ways, from the hearts popping up from petting the dog, to the daily organization of mission/social stuff. It’s similar in structure to Fire Emblem: Three Houses, except there’s a battle every day, and the social time isn’t that long (or as repetitive and gruelling) and can be mostly skipped (or namely put off) at least after the first bit of the game.

You have the option to do everything social wise later, but honestly with the social stuff every between mission is usually pretty entertaining and usually quick other than the ‘club‘ thing takes longer, and the Abbey grounds have it’s own long running puzzle game built in through exploring….very Hogwarty. When the one review said it was a multitude of genres mashed together they weren’t wrong.

Last edited:

Freeman76

It actually feels like a SJRPG in a lot of ways, from the hearts popping up from petting the dog, to the daily organization of mission/social stuff. It’s similar in structure to Fire Emblem: Three Houses, except there’s a battle every day, and the social time isn’t that long (or as repetitive and gruelling) and can be mostly skipped (or namely put off) at least after the first bit of the game.

You have the option to do everything social wise later, but honestly with the social stuff every between mission is usually pretty entertaining and usually quick other than the ‘club‘ thing takes longer, and the Abbey grounds have it’s own long running puzzle game built in through exploring….very Hogwarty. When the one review said it was a multitude of genres mashed together they weren’t wrong.

I was hoping it would be like xcom where you mamage your squad and facilities between battles, but was under the impression you battle then sit through tedious dialogue and thats it?

Top Bottom