• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers |OT| - Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same

Zimmy68

I am so on the fence with this. Especially as a huge Marvel fanboy.
I went from definitely getting the Deluxe Xbox One version all the way down to the PS4 normal one.
First, the Deluxe is $20(!!!) more for absolutely no value. I think it gives you a palette swap boring costume, the beta and a day early to play it.
I still have GCU and Best Buy is offering $10 off Pre-Order, so I may buy it physically.
The other option is to wait for a PC fire sale. Square Enix is notorious for dropping prices quickly.
I watched all the launch costumes on YouTube this morning and they are as bad as I feared.
Just ugly, uninspired palette swaps (purple Thor). Completely absent of comic book costumes.
There are like 4 Joe Fixits and 5 Mad Max (white war paint) Hulks (who asked for that???).
There were like 20 Hulk variants and I liked 2 at most. How do you get that ratio so bad?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Hulk is unbelievably boring and bad.
I'm about to gouge my eyes out and gas myself.
I cannot believe what I'm seeing.
Double tap circle to properly dodge is the most retarded thing I've seen in 2020. It's worse than corona.
I cannot believe how bad this is, I cannot believe how talentless the hack developers are.
It's like the absolute opposite of Metal Gear Rising or other Platinum Games games.
Unbelievable.
Shit dodge, shit animations, shit hitstun.
Fucking manlets hitstunning me and I can't avoid the subsequent laser that nukes my health.
Truly awful.
Not gonna judge the other chars I'm in the beginning of the story.
There are some segments in this game that I would rate 1.5/10 at BEST. Unbelievably bad.
Not the whole game, but those segments, what in the fuck have I just played.
Guys seriously what's the suicide hotline.
This is an embarrassment to all of gaming.
It's an insult to the PlayStation platform.
It's truly vomit inducing.
Sometimes my attacks stun the enemy, sometimes they don't, making it impossible to predict a consequence.
Absolutely retarded attack homing and tracking. What in the fuck.
Janky movement too.
Shielding enemies are just annoying. OK so my heavy attack gets shielded but the shitty rock I throw breaks your shield OK ah hah fuck you.
Jesus.
This game better step up within 90 minutes or I'm deleting that trash.
Again, I cannot believe what I AM SEEING RIGHT NOW.
It's that bad.
Get gud!

Hostile_18

Banned
Ms Marvel is such a good way to introduce the game because shes a fan girl just the same we are of these heroes. The wonder and excitement she feels is the way we as players feel.

So far I've found the banter spot on, it really helps make the beta bridge mission better in hindsight as you've had that levity first before everyone becomes serious with the mission in hand.

We definitely need a little list of user names to have our own group. Playing the story first but it will be so cool playing with you all as the Avengers. 😁

Dibils2k

I am so on the fence with this. Especially as a huge Marvel fanboy.
I went from definitely getting the Deluxe Xbox One version all the way down to the PS4 normal one.
First, the Deluxe is $20(!!!) more for absolutely no value. I think it gives you a palette swap boring costume, the beta and a day early to play it.
I still have GCU and Best Buy is offering $10 off Pre-Order, so I may buy it physically.
The other option is to wait for a PC fire sale. Square Enix is notorious for dropping prices quickly.
I watched all the launch costumes on YouTube this morning and they are as bad as I feared.
Just ugly, uninspired palette swaps (purple Thor). Completely absent of comic book costumes.
There are like 4 Joe Fixits and 5 Mad Max (white war paint) Hulks (who asked for that???).
There were like 20 Hulk variants and I liked 2 at most. How do you get that ratio so bad?
yeah i wish they would have gone the Spiderman PS4 route with the costumes, where each costume is from a certain comic or media and it has small description for each explaining it

Thor looks so boring for example, i want the later MCU Thor

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Alot more costumes will be in coming. I do dislike filler costumes though (same as in Mortal Kombat 10).

Tell you what though the PSN theme is SHITE. When I think of all the amazing artwork they could of uses and we get a black hex background and the game logo 🙈. I hope theme previews are a thing for the PS5.

Fuz

Banned
Well it’s their money, if they liked what they saw or played then it’s their choice to buy it same way its my choice not buy this game.
Except gaming is shit *for everyone* nowadays 'cause people buy all those crap and support MTX, season passes, GAAS and things like those.
You never learn.

Hostile_18

Banned
Except gaming is shit *for everyone* nowadays 'cause people buy all those crap and support MTX, season passes, GAAS and things like those.
You never learn.

Ultimately if the game isn't fun, if the content isn't there micro transactions will be dead in the water regardless.

At least theres no Control or COD style upgrade charging to the PS5 version. It certainly isn't all bad.

Fuz

Banned
Ultimately if the game isn't fun, if the content isn't there micro transactions will be dead in the water regardless.

At least theres no Control or COD style upgrade charging to the PS5 version. It certainly isn't all bad.
Oh, a 5$ DLC armor for your horse isn't that bad.

Hostile_18

Banned
Oh, a 5$ DLC armor for your horse isn't that bad.

It's not *shrug*.

It's easy to ignore and if it became prevalent I.e everything was monetized I'd just move on to another game.

It it helps support the game with free content like new characters as this game is doing I'm all for it.

Fuz

Banned
It's not *shrug*.

It's easy to ignore and if it became prevalent I.e everything was monetized I'd just move on to another game.

It it helps support the game with free content like new characters as this game is doing I'm all for it.
You can't see a palm beyond your nose.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It's not *shrug*.

Can you name a game which you paid full price which contains heavy mtx stuff that was supported heavily over the years with actual good free content? You're not supporting the game dude. The post content is already planned for, and you'll still have to pay for that as well.

Hostile_18

Banned
Can you name a game which you paid full price which contains heavy mtx stuff that was supported heavily over the years with actual good free content? You're not supporting the game dude. The post content is already planned for, and you'll still have to pay for that as well.

I'm not the best person to ask on that as this is my first GAAS game. Crash Team Racing was really good, Rainbow Six Seige, Rocket League, Fortnite are a few that spring to mind.

I thought the extra characters and story are confirmed to be free? 🤔

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm not the best person to ask on that as this is my first GAAS game. Crash Team Racing was really good, Rainbow Six Seige, Rocket League, Fortnite are a few that spring to mind.

Fornite is f2p. I'll give you Rocket League one. R6 is debatable because it's Ubi and they are mtx whores, hardly someone I'd call a good example and as much as I enjoyed AC games the mtx in those games are absolute trash and fuck them for that.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

All additional story missions and characters are free. The only microtransactions are for cosmetics.

denisonja

Neo Member
It's fantastic that people have to justify and apologize for buying this (or any other) game... And it's even more fantastic that there are still these hollier than thou crusaders who, in ther intent to be good, become aggressive and totalitarian....
It's like listening to those Miss America contests where every contestant ever said that they wanted world peace....
I just hope that you are not hypocrite and that you use this fire in you to fight for all the important things in this world.....

If someone wants to have a new armor and wants to pay for it then do it... If someone wants to boycott these kind of games, boycott it... But neither of you will "change the world" because people first and foremost think about themselves (at least in these "non-life-and-death matters")....

Hostile_18

Banned
Well on a another note after the 10gb launch day patch yesterday theres another 8.5 gb one today which takes us to 1.04.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Hulk is unbelievably boring and bad.
I'm about to gouge my eyes out and gas myself.
I cannot believe what I'm seeing.
Double tap circle to properly dodge is the most retarded thing I've seen in 2020. It's worse than corona.
I cannot believe how bad this is, I cannot believe how talentless the hack developers are.
It's like the absolute opposite of Metal Gear Rising or other Platinum Games games.
Unbelievable.
Shit dodge, shit animations, shit hitstun.
Fucking manlets hitstunning me and I can't avoid the subsequent laser that nukes my health.
Truly awful.
Not gonna judge the other chars I'm in the beginning of the story.
There are some segments in this game that I would rate 1.5/10 at BEST. Unbelievably bad.
Not the whole game, but those segments, what in the fuck have I just played.
Guys seriously what's the suicide hotline.
This is an embarrassment to all of gaming.
It's an insult to the PlayStation platform.
It's truly vomit inducing.
Sometimes my attacks stun the enemy, sometimes they don't, making it impossible to predict a consequence.
Absolutely retarded attack homing and tracking. What in the fuck.
Janky movement too.
Shielding enemies are just annoying. OK so my heavy attack gets shielded but the shitty rock I throw breaks your shield OK ah hah fuck you.
Jesus.
This game better step up within 90 minutes or I'm deleting that trash.
Again, I cannot believe what I AM SEEING RIGHT NOW.
It's that bad.
Alright Kamala Harris controls much better than Hulk. Muuuuuch better.
I actually feel like I'm in control.

Loving the Game and story so far. I heard they may be new campaigns added for free or dlc. Game has potential. Could ended up being Marvel’s version of a Destiny like/type game.

GreyHand23

I'm playing the full game right now but I think judging the game by its beta is not that preposterous tbh.

I think the full game has enough added things and polish that the beta isn't really that great of a representation. Unless you just flat out hated the combat even with the 1st skill tree unlocked then the beta should be pretty informative.

John Day

Got up early and played a bit (the intro). I didn’t play the beta.

I’m liking what little I played, looking forward to play more.

The camera was fucking up alot for me near walls, went online to see if anyone else had the same complaintsbut i see nothing mentioned, and thinking about it at work, it might be my controller that has issues (been having issues with Ghost of Tsushima too). Will try with another tonight.

PS: On base PS4, game froze on me right at the beginning and crashed. Hopefully will be tightened soon.

Vitter.

So if I preorder today the digital version on psn would I be able to play it now or do I need the deluxe edition? because on the store is not mentioned.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Got up early and played a bit (the intro). I didn’t play the beta.

I’m liking what little I played, looking forward to play more.

The camera was fucking up alot for me near walls, went online to see if anyone else had the same complaintsbut i see nothing mentioned, and thinking about it at work, it might be my controller that has issues (been having issues with Ghost of Tsushima too). Will try with another tonight.

PS: On base PS4, game froze on me right at the beginning and crashed. Hopefully will be tightened soon.

There was another patch today so that might help. I would also change your camera view to wide.

ManaByte

Gold Member
its like a really b ad version of one of the lego games(press ___ or do action move here to open door, clear debris .. ect) with horrible wave beatem up elements.

Again provide proof you're playing the final. You're describing what you could've played in the beta.

Elcid

Banned
Again provide proof you're playing the final. You're describing what you could've played in the beta.
Lol not even in beta was it like that. This is coming from a guy who plays all Marvel LEGO games because of my kids. He’s full of shit.

MiguelItUp

If i remember well, the guy behind the combat in this game is the same who made the combat in gow 2018...

How can it be so bad after one of the best melee combat of this gen??
It's not that it's bad, it just isn't for everyone, but that really goes for anything of course.

I didn't even make it through the beginning/tutorial portion of GoW without being wowed by the combat. I felt like I hadn't had that much fun with a new combat system since the first Arkham, if I remember correctly.

On the Avengers demo, I completed it and never got that same feeling from the combat at all, personally. I'm glad it's doing it for some people, I wish it did it for me so I had another new game to be excited about. But as I mentioned before, I'll at least keep an eye on it.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's not that it's bad, it just isn't for everyone, but that really goes for anything of course.

I didn't even make it through the beginning/tutorial portion of GoW without being wowed by the combat. I felt like I hadn't had that much fun with a new combat system since the first Arkham, if I remember correctly.

On the Avengers demo, I completed it and never got that same feeling from the combat at all, personally. I'm glad it's doing it for some people, I wish it did it for me so I had another new game to be excited about. But as I mentioned before, I'll at least keep an eye on it.

The controls are definitely improved in this version. Still risky buying a full retail game if you didn't like the beta controls at all, but a few small tweaks can make a big difference.

Top Bottom