• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy New Patch adds Ray Tracing on PS5 and Series X

Jose92

[Membe

A new patch is being deployed on PlayStation and Xbox consoles today, Nov 17. A patch will also be coming to PC in the next few days - tentatively on Friday, Nov 19 - and patch notes will be posted on Steam

Most notably, this patch adds a Ray Tracing Mode for PS5 and Xbox Series X, performance improvements for base PS4, and an uncapped framerate option for Xbox Series S (recommended for VRR displays). We're also adding a Save Rollback feature and fixes for various issues. Please see below for full details.

PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

• Ray Tracing Mode is now available in the Video settings menu.
All Consoles

• Save Rollback: A hidden Save Rollback feature was added to allow users who have encountered blocking issues to rollback to the start of the chapter of their choice. Please see this thread for more details.
PlayStation 4

• Improved performance on the original PS4 model.
  • Changed the sensitivity required for the Visor input so that controllers with more wear and tear may still detect the button press.
Xbox Series S

• An option to uncap the FPS was added, allowing users to run the game between 30 and 60 FPS. Please note uncapping FPS may lead to a less stable framerate in some areas. Recommended for users with a VRR display.
General improvements

• General stability improvement on all platforms.
  • Multiple stability improvements with Ray Tracing enabled.
  • General improvements to objective markers.
  • Additional improvements to world boundaries.
Major fixes

• Fix for an issue where the Compendium entry "Gasher and Gnasher" might not unlock.
  • Added a failsafe to ensure that the "Fully Loaded" achievement/trophy could be unlocked.
  • Fix for an issue where custom difficulty settings would reset.
  • Fix for players who may become locked out of the Guardian menu after the first ability point tutorial.
  • Fix for instances where the poison gas could not be frozen again after a reload.
  • Improvements made to transition in and out of Workbenches in order to address some instances of Rocket refusing to use the Workbench.
  • Chapter 1: Fix for a rare issue where Star-Lord may be caught in a state of falling out of world, after falling on the Milano.
  • Chapter 7 : Fix to allow the crane puzzle to be completely reset when reloading checkpoint, so that users may be allowed to retry in rare instances where they become blocked.
  • Chapter 9: Fix to allow users to win the chase sequence more easily.
  • Chapter 10: Fix for a funnel which made access to the Hero of Halfworld outfit difficult.
  • Chapter 10: Fix for one instance where Groot may be unable to create a lift leading to a side path.
  • Chapter 13: Fix for rare instances where a throw object needed to progress may not appear.
Other fixes

• Fix for instances where Star-Lord's eyes might glow red with ray tracing enabled.
  • Fix for an issue where the Rocket Bet scoreboard may still appear on screen after the bet is over.
  • Radio communications can now be heard through the controller.
  • Fix for the Rocket line that was being played through Groot's voice.
  • Fix for save icon occasionally sticking on screen.
  • Fixes for rare instances where Guardians may disappear in combat.
  • Fix for a funnel where Star-Lord may occasionally become stuck when running at higher FPS.
  • Updated wording for privacy statement.

TrueLegend

This game is actually demanding on everything meaning there are optimization issues. I wonder what resolution RT is running if the performance mode was at 1080p itself on PS5/XSX

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I like this approach. Focus on core game experience with available development time, bring RT later on in line with other improvements. If they can bring it at launch, do so, but don't ever compromise the core game experience for RT if time doesn't allow. Deal with it later.
Yeah, fuck early adopters. They deserve to pay full price for an unfinished product.

Justin9mm

Right? Imagine playing through the whole game and THEN they enhance the game after you're already sick of it. Would've been nice to wait and play it at it's best the first time around.
This is the problem with the gaming industry, they want you to pre-order and buy their game day 1 and then you get screwed because they can't deliver on promised features before most people would complete the game. Like I get bug fixes.. But leaving out unfinished features especially on a single player game that most people won't re-visit once completing is unacceptable.

Performance mode is trash on this game. They've royally screwed the optimisation, how can a game that looks like this play native 4K/30 but can't do at least 1440p/60 on these new current gen systems!?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Guardians took a step forward dlc patches updates are doors left update this is a huge update.

Banned
Ray Tracing what?

Shadows?
Reflections?
Ambient Occlusion?
Audio?
Global Illumination?

I hate that ray tracing just gets thrown around like a buzz word. OMG! IT HAS RAY TRACING... but what is the ray tracing doing to improve the game? That's what I wanna know.

reflections. the PC version only has RT reflections as far as I know

Lysandros

This is the problem with the gaming industry, they want you to pre-order and buy their game day 1 and then you get screwed because they can't deliver on promised features before most people would complete the game. Like I get bug fixes.. But leaving out unfinished features especially on a single player game that most people won't re-visit once completing is unacceptable.

Performance mode is trash on this game. They've royally screwed the optimisation, how can a game that looks like this play native 4K/30 but can't do at least 1440p/60 on these new current gen systems!?
1440P/60 FPS is generally more demanding than 4K/30 FPS but 1296P-1440P with DRS should be possible. I agree on it being unoptimized.

Lokaum D+

why the fuck would RT be 1440p/60 when the game runs at 1080p/60 without RT
cause they did a poor work on optimization, a PS5 and XBSX running this on 1080p, no RT and the game isnt even loked at 60fps on performance mode. This is a fucking joke and those who defende this game are clowns

I say that all the time and it goes over most people's heads for some reason. These companies routinely advertise features on the damn game box and they wind up missing or broken a lot and many times they never bother to fix them. For example Hitman 3 HDR is completely broken. It's not even a bad or fake hdr, the sliders literally don't work. Hitman 1 and hitman 2 both have great hdr yet they just ignored the problem on hitman 3 ..9 months now

ManaByte

This is the problem with the gaming industry, they want you to pre-order and buy their game day 1 and then you get screwed because they can't deliver on promised features before most people would complete the game.

Please provide citation where they promised CONSOLE Ray Tracing before release.

People didn't even know it existed until reviewers got copies of the game, and even then SE said it would be post-launch.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Please provide citation where they promised CONSOLE Ray Tracing before release.

People didn't even know it existed until reviewers got copies of the game, and even then SE said it would be post-launch.
Maybe 'promised' features was the wrong word. Let's go with 'intended' features.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Neat. Not that I needed an excuse to replay it but that's a nice addition for when I'll be doing my second playthrough.

Ray Tracing what?

Shadows?
Reflections?
Ambient Occlusion?
Audio?
Global Illumination?

I hate that ray tracing just gets thrown around like a buzz word. OMG! IT HAS RAY TRACING... but what is the ray tracing doing to improve the game? That's what I wanna know.
Ray tracing gives you an amazing ability to look at the floor and marvel at the reflected objects instead of paying attention to the action.

Last edited:

Banned
30fps as expected... any resolution info yet? I would expect 1080p maybe dynamic 1440p

meanwhile on PC on an entry level GPU, 65 - 90 fps, ultra + RT:

and why not have an "unlock Framerate" option across the board on any mode and any system? THAT SHOULD ALWAYS BE AN OPTION!
because I wonder how that RT mode would run with an uncapped framerate

Last edited:
Ah yes, the entry level 3060ti next to the mid-range 3070 I presume.
I agree. While I have a 3060ti and it's currently when available at MSRP it's entry level compared to a 3070 or 6800, but compared to when the 10 series launched its way closer to lower high end pricing. I really only bought mine because of fomo haha.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
meanwhile on PC on an entry level GPU, 65 - 90 fps, ultra + RT:

"Entry level".

JlWvHqv.png

It's the cheapest I could find on newegg BTW. It goes all the way up to $1500.

sncvsrtoip

Apparently around 1740p, I can confirm it looks quite close to 4k and defenitly much better than ugly 1080p mode on ps5, found some rt reflections inside ship not existing in quality mode

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Apparently around 1740p, I can confirm it looks quite close to 4k and defenitly much better than ugly 1080p mode on ps5, found some rt reflections inside ship not existing in quality mode
Are you saying RT mode on PS5 is running the game res around 1740p?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They rather should deploy DRS for 60FPS mode, add "unlocked framerate" to big consoles and possibly do 1080p/RT/60

Maybe than I will be playing on GamePass when the time comes, but until then I remain salty, about this being prioritized over Deus Ex.

Top Bottom