• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

ManaByte

Gold Member
zslsUiN.jpg

You are Star-Lord,​

so nothing’s off-limits with your bold combat style, from Element Blasters and jet boot-powered dropkicks to tag-team beat-downs. With the Guardians fighting at your side, call the shots and overwhelm your opponents with signature attacks. Meanwhile, the consequences of your decisions will range from light-hearted to downright unexpected as your journey unfolds.

ALL-NEW STORY​

Your newly-formed band of legendary misfits is set to save the universe in this fresh but faithful take on the Guardians of the Galaxy. Somehow, you set off a chain of catastrophic events, leading to a wild ride through mind-blowing worlds inhabited by iconic and original Marvel characters. Turn up the all-star ‘80s mixtape and get ready to kick it.

FROM MISFITS TO SUPER HEROES​

You’re the only thing holding the unpredictable Guardians together, so you’ll have to get better at this leadership thing fast. With this offbeat approximation of a family at your side, there will be tears and laughter as you set about tearing into the cosmos together. Whatever’s waiting around the next corner, you know it’s going to be a blast.

COMBAT​

EXPLORATION​

4K GAMEPLAY & DEEP DIVE​

DLSS & RTX​

LAUNCH TRAILER​

THE BEST LICENSED SOUNDTRACK SINCE GTA VICE CITY

LAUNCHES OCTOBER 26TH ON PLAYSTATION, XBOX, PC, AND SWITCH (CLOUD VERSION)

giphy.gif

Last edited:

N30RYU

Thanks for the OP.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF by Eidos-Montréal

I'm on the fence... unsure if I should get it or not...

Any info about its lenght?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thanks for the OP.

I'm on the fence... unsure if I should get it ir not...

Any info about its lenght?

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF by Eidos-Montréal

Well it's a single-player story driven action/adventure. Not much different than the sort of games Sony Santa Monica or Naughty Dog make. No MP, co-op, MTX. Strictly a story-driven game, without an open world.

Certinty

Everything I’ve seen and heard about the game seems amazing but the review embargo being just a day before releases worries me a little.

Either way, I’ve preordered it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The guy says there’s two graphics modes, but it lists three modes on the right side of the screen, did he miss a setting or is the raytracing mode coming later? 🧐
It’s coming later for the consoles.
Everything I’ve seen and heard about the game seems amazing but the review embargo being just a day before releases worries me a little.

Either way, I’ve preordered it.
Funny how that was ok for Kena.

I think it’s two fold. 1. It’s the Kena strategy. 2. There are some big story spoilers you know some asshole YouTuber will spoil for views.

Last edited:

fallingdove

As a big fan of both the Guardians of Galaxy comics and movies, I really want to like this game.

But for whatever reason, Starlord’s movement and combat animations look really jank and I don’t know that I will be able to get past them. Especially if I can’t change characters and if I am going to be playing this game for 20+ hours. 😢

Is it a Singleplayer story or is it a GaAS multiplayer type like the Avengers game? Serious question I haven't been following since the first few vids...its a pretty looking game when it wants to be looking at the videos you all have in the thread

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well this lasted two replies...
The lack of bitching in this thread and weird comparisons that make no sense to Avengers...delights me!

Is it a Singleplayer story or is it a GaAS multiplayer type like the Avengers game? Serious question I haven't been following since the first few vids...its a pretty looking game when it wants to be looking at the videos you all have in the thread

It's a 100% AAA single-player story driven action/adventure. Zero GaaS elements. No MP, no co-op, no MTX. Just a pure story that you play through.

100% single player.

It's a 100% AAA single-player story driven action/adventure. Zero GaaS elements. No MP, no co-op, no MTX. Just a pure story that you play through.
Oh snap...Well my gameshare partner on ps5 talked about buying it back when they showed the first videos from it.

Time for me to hit him with the "Aye bro its time for you to buy a game" text :messenger_grinning:

McCheese

As a big fan of both the Guardians of Galaxy comics and movies, I really want to like this game.

But for whatever reason, Starlord’s movement and combat animations look really jank and I don’t know that I will be able to get past them. Especially if I can’t change characters and if I am going to be playing this game for 20+ hours. 😢

At first I thought it was the uncanny valley of them not being the MCU actors, but the more I see of the game the more I realise they just got him wrong. The MCU version was a lovable a-hole, this one just seems like a chad douche a-hole and I have no real interest in following him on his galatic adventures.

fallingdove

At first I thought it was the uncanny valley of them not being the MCU actors, but the more I see of the game the more I realise they just got him wrong. The MCU version was a lovable a-hole, this one just seems like a chad douche a-hole and I have no real interest in following him on his galatic adventures.

Yeah, I think you are probably right. Disappointing…

GymWolf

90% buy at launch on pc but i need to see some unedited gameplay on max difficulty first.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Not gonna lie saw some things of the game and seems it could be a sleeper hit. Not sold on the combat though, I'll wait for some reviews.

Last edited:

fallingdove

They never said this would be based on the movies.

I never said it needed to be. As a fan of the comics, Guardians of the Galaxy are pretty inconsistent in terms of story, tone and character - so change is kinda par for the course. It doesn't mean that these changes will be good (there are lots of bad versions of the modern Guardians) and it doesn't change the fact that, from what has been shown of Quill, his character lacks charisma/redeeming qualities and his animation is jank.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I just don't "get" Square Enix. They make games I am constantly hyped for but they always disappoint me. Final Fantasy 7 Remake, 15, and Avengers come to mind. Yet they seem to get by just fine, and other people seem quite forgiving of them, or even praise them. Guess it's my own problem.

This isn't an immediate purchase for me, but In theory, a game where you and your crew jet across the universe in your ship having adventures could be a lot of fun. And these are a lot of the people who made Deus Ex Human Revolution, which was a great game.

It can feel a bit like strangers playing dress-up with these Marvel games, but I think their approach here of creating their own versions of these characters will probably work better than the Avengers game, which basically copied the cinematic versions.

Damn, suddenly I'm interested in this. I legit thought this was just an Avengers retread with a Guardians skin.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
**EDIT**

SQQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEE

Apparently it IS the soundtrack...

No way that is the game soundtrack....shit is 🔥

Spotify says: "The official Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy video game playlist. Classic 1980s tracks that inspired our heroes, an epic game score, and original Star-Lord band music. Game launces October 26, 2021."

This would be reason enough alone to buy this game if this was all actually in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered today at GameStop (while trading in Far Cry 6 which gave me a $6 bonus for a total of $39) and will pick it up on Tuesday. Very much looking forward to this. Pure single player, no online co-op/MP, no mtx, no dlc, no post launch content of any kind, etc.. Let's go!!!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
People are already playing it.
Discovered Khraze Gaming a few days ago while looking for Guardians of the Galaxy videos. Not sure if that's the same video but he posted a video 5 days ago or so and says in the video that he's had the review copy for two weeks already.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know when the review embargo lifts?

Xander3116

Discovered Khraze Gaming a few days ago while looking for Guardians of the Galaxy videos. Not sure if that's the same video but he posted a video 5 days ago or so and says in the video that he's had the review copy for two weeks already.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know when the review embargo lifts?
I heard that its on the 25th from the reddit board.

CheeseCake

Interested but gonna wait for reviews for it first.

Soundtrack seems really good.

Just need good gameplay + story and it's a buy for me!

Last edited:
After asking a question or two in this thread and doing my googles this afternoon I'm pretty sold on this one. I'm in, this looks pretty damn dope.

The PC Version's video looks really good, I think I'm just gonna buy it on PC.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm on a need for a nice single player game so I might buy this if the reviews are good but damn these animations look bad.
Watching a video is like "hey this is cool!" and then seconds after I see something I don't like at all. I love Eidos Montréal but they are hit and miss lately so really hoping reviews are good.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Only gripe I have from watching footage so far is that you can only play as Starlord. It would have been cool to be able to switch in combat.

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn't on my radar until I found out the same dude who directed Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was directing it.

Justin9mm

Not gonna lie saw some things of the game and seems it could be a sleeper hit. Not sold on the combat though, I'll wait for some reviews.
My thoughts exactly. I'm waiting for those reviews also.

Combat looks a little repetitive, shallow and dull.

Top Bottom