• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

Nico_D

Started this on hard - or whatever is the next from default. I've died couple of times already, I think combat has more a decent amount of tactical depth.

At least it is damn fun. As is the whole game.

Croga

Finished this the other day.

It's up there as one of my favorites this year for sure.
-- Story was great, characters are top notch and well written.
-- Combat was grand, not the best in the world, but did the job.

Only negatives for me were the boss encounters. While as a spectacle and for plot reasons I had no issues with said bosses, the actual boss mechanics were pretty basic and bland.
I kind of expected it tbh though, because bosses never seem to be this dev teams strong point, same with the Deus Ex games.

A solid 9/10 for me. I had a sneaking suspicion this was going to be good, turned out even better then I thought! Roll on a sequel hopefully!

benzy

Love the character rendering and animations in this game. Really sells the more dramatic moments in the story.

VT6tyZ3.gif

tAyBnHr.gif

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My GOTY (played on PS5) despite having run into some pretty gruesome bugs that led me to have to reload checkpoints several times, a few game hangs, one hard crash, and I found the final two boss fights completely uninspired and even a little tedious. I also think too many battles revolved around downing oddly bullet sponge enemies (found this to be inconsistent - sometimes some low-level cronies soaked up inordinate amounts of damage even when exploiting their weaknesses).

Fortunately all of the good in the game overwhelmingly outshone the bad.

GymWolf

Is anyone using the dual sense on pc and having...input problems?!

Like sometimes it's like the game doesn't register the input and i feel like i have to smash the button to get the input in, it is especially evident during the platforms sections, like half the times and i can't do the double jump...

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Man, I hope this sells well to demonstrate the thirst for SP narrative driven experiences outside of Sony

Yupe very few good AAA singleplayer games in this sea of always online multiplier GaaS micro transactions shit Era.
For some reason this game just doesn't run smooth for me even though the framerate is high. Alot of microstutter and hitching when I turn the camera. Im using a 3080ti paired with a 3700x. Maybe I should do a clean reinstall. I have the Epic Store version. Anybody else have performance issues on PC?

I also have the epic games version, almost no issues at all (apart from Xbox series X controller getting recognized through USB cable only and not through bluetooth) on a 5600x and 3080.

Are you on a fast NVMe drive? Maybe game is streaming a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

Certinty

Love the character rendering and animations in this game. Really sells the more dramatic moments in the story.
Even during actual gameplay when characters are interacting with one another they're using hand and body gestures, just a ton of small little details which really add to the game. If they cleaned up the game (had a fair amount of crashes and so on) I would call this a masterpiece.

If you're a fan of single-player games that pick you up and don't let you go for a solid and fun 15-20 hours, you have to get this game. I treated myself and got this and Deathloop at the same time, and while Deathloop seemed ok, this game just demanded to be played. I blew through it in three days but am already looking forward to a second more in-depth playthrough where I'm going to take it slow and listen to every conversation, of which there are a million.

It's simultaneously a throwback to those great single-player adventures that used to be commonplace in the industry, and a forward-looking and modern cutting-edge visual and technical masterpiece. It's the best-looking game I've ever played, flat out. And it's the best mo-cap and facial animations I've ever seen in a game. Each new level tries to outdo the last in terms of spectacle and art design, and succeeds. A fantastic sci-fi adventure that really understands the source material and crafts a hugely fun space romp that takes you all over the galaxy in 16 epic levels.

And there's loads of great background character stuff taking place at the same time as the main adventure. At the start, the Guardians are barely a team and each character has their own problems holding them back, but they all get their own arc to develop over the course of the game to help them come together, which also translates into new combat abilities, allowing you to increasingly combine moves to create damage multipliers and wreck enemies.

Also, if games filled with identity politics and boring politically correct/woke characters get you down, you also owe it to yourself to get this game, as it's totally free of all that. It's the first western AAA game in ages I've played where you can say there's not a single bit of woke nonsense dragging it down - and it feels deliberate. This game is a conscious throwback in many ways, and it's like a breath of fresh air.

Apparently the game isn't selling well, partly because Avengers was such a dud, but it would be a crime if this game doesn't get supported by gamers. We deserve the bad games we get if we don't buy games like this.

Mister Wolf

Yupe very few good AAA singleplayer games in this sea of always online multiplier GaaS micro transactions shit Era.

I also have the epic games version, almost no issues at all (apart from Xbox series X controller getting recognized through USB cable only and not through bluetooth) on a 5600x and 3080.

Are you on a fast NVMe drive? Maybe game is streaming a lot of stuff.

SATA SSD.

Paasei

So, to all my fellow PC gamers: How does this game fare on PC? Both control and gameplay wise, any fun? Having a good story is great, but gameplay will always be priority number 1.

So, to all my fellow PC gamers: How does this game fare on PC? Both control and gameplay wise, any fun? Having a good story is great, but gameplay will always be priority number 1.

If you enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and being able to activate your squad's powers on the battlefield, you will enjoy this. The combat is nice and smooth and the animations and finishing moves all flow nicely. You have to use your own character, Starlord, as both a fighter and a tactician/strategist. It's funny, though, your main firing button for your guns is almost totally useless. You need to use your elemental ammo and moves/abilities.

The game's combat sections are also completely seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game. The fights actually serve a purpose to advance the story and characters.

plushyp

Apparently the game isn't selling well, partly because Avengers was such a dud, but it would be a crime if this game doesn't get supported by gamers. We deserve the bad games we get if we don't buy games like this.
Can't blame people for being wary after all the recent high profile debacles that are happening but in no way do we deserve the bad games because of questionable developers.

Can't blame people for being wary after all the recent high profile debacles that are happening but in no way do we deserve the bad games because of questionable developers.

Fair enough, I was skeptical too at first actually. I hope word of mouth helps this one have legs though.

kizito

If you're a fan of single-player games that pick you up and don't let you go for a solid and fun 15-20 hours, you have to get this game. I treated myself and got this and Deathloop at the same time, and while Deathloop seemed ok, this game just demanded to be played. I blew through it in three days but am already looking forward to a second more in-depth playthrough where I'm going to take it slow and listen to every conversation, of which there are a million.

It's simultaneously a throwback to those great single-player adventures that used to be commonplace in the industry, and a forward-looking and modern cutting-edge visual and technical masterpiece. It's the best-looking game I've ever played, flat out. And it's the best mo-cap and facial animations I've ever seen in a game. Each new level tries to outdo the last in terms of spectacle and art design, and succeeds. A fantastic sci-fi adventure that really understands the source material and crafts a hugely fun space romp that takes you all over the galaxy in 16 epic levels.

And there's loads of great background character stuff taking place at the same time as the main adventure. At the start, the Guardians are barely a team and each character has their own problems holding them back, but they all get their own arc to develop over the course of the game to help them come together, which also translates into new combat abilities, allowing you to increasingly combine moves to create damage multipliers and wreck enemies.

Also, if games filled with identity politics and boring politically correct/woke characters get you down, you also owe it to yourself to get this game, as it's totally free of all that. It's the first western AAA game in ages I've played where you can say there's not a single bit of woke nonsense dragging it down - and it feels deliberate. This game is a conscious throwback in many ways, and it's like a breath of fresh air.

You got me convinced to buy it. Gonna buy PC version on Steam, seems like this could be my type of game.

ClosBSAS

I bought last night, played for 4 hours. Shit is great. Hilarious at points. Fun to play, looks great on PC at 4k maxed out. I do get some massive stuttering when I take a screenshot with f12 on steam and game froze two times. No borderless window option is dumb as shit, what year is this ffs.

Last edited:
Exactly ..after all the bullshit with avengers and the many unfinished broken games its gamers fault for this not selling.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I feel like this game with FF13 combat would have been off the charts. Really enjoying the game so far but the combat is hmm ... it's not terrible but not what it could be. This game with these characters and environment demands some over the top combat scenes like you would see in FF13 or even FF7 Remake.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Might try rolling the driver back, too. I had worse performance with the newer “game ready” driver, and I read in a review that they were having trouble with a certain AMD driver version.

Thanks I'll try that. I also downloaded Zoltac Firestorm for this Zoltac card. Doesn't seem to like EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner.

Last edited:

Certinty

I feel like this game with FF13 combat would have been off the charts. Really enjoying the game so far but the combat is hmm ... it's not terrible but not what it could be. This game with these characters and environment demands some over the top combat scenes like you would see in FF13 or even FF7 Remake.
Maybe it’s just me but I preferred the combat in this over those Final Fantasy games by a mile. In fact, the more I played of this game the more I enjoyed the combat and all the combos with other characters.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Maybe it’s just me but I preferred the combat in this over those Final Fantasy games by a mile. In fact, the more I played of this game the more I enjoyed the combat and all the combos with other characters.
Yeah ... actually those sort of combos, or issuing the commands - that gameplay is in the games I mentioned too. So maybe they aren't as different as I was thinking. But there's a grandiosity missing ... think of the beginning of GOTG2 movie ... the fight they had against that monster, is there anything like that in the game? You're much more likely to find that in a FF game. But boy would it fit and be awesome in this game. One other thing I'm thinking too is that maybe the constant moving and maintaining fire as Quill, and then trying to issue commands ... it's just a bit clunky I'd prefer the little bit more automated "base combat" where the simple attacks happen automatically, but you're mixing in combos and specials with the rest of the team. Can't quite put my finger on it but combat here feels more like FF15 which personally I don't like as much.

Should be said that though I'm bringing this point up, it's relatively minor considered against the game as a whole, which I'm really enjoying!

Dibils2k

a little too much dialogue.. i dont think there is 10secs where they arent talking, gets abit annoying

but other than that, really enjoying it, close to the end now, solid 7/10 for me. i love the command system, FF just needs to copy that tbh lol much better than trying to use d-pad in middle of combat

Last edited:

benzy

But there's a grandiosity missing ... think of the beginning of GOTG2 movie ... the fight they had against that monster, is there anything like that in the game? You're much more likely to find that in a FF game. But boy would it fit and be awesome in this game.

There is later in the game.

One other thing I'm thinking too is that maybe the constant moving and maintaining fire as Quill, and then trying to issue commands ... it's just a bit clunky I'd prefer the little bit more automated "base combat" where the simple attacks happen automatically, but you're mixing in combos and specials with the rest of the team. Can't quite put my finger on it but combat here feels more like FF15 which personally I don't like as much.

btw, in the accessibility menu, you change how much time slows down (even completely pausing combat) when you bring up the team command menu, so there's that. Combat got a lot more fun imo once you unlock more abilities for the team.

Last edited:

Sygma

Is anyone using the dual sense on pc and having...input problems?!

Like sometimes it's like the game doesn't register the input and i feel like i have to smash the button to get the input in, it is especially evident during the platforms sections, like half the times and i can't do the double jump...

Nope all good here

ClosBSAS

game is fucking great, loving it. graphics are good too. only issue i have are the shitty ass loading times...wtf, am on the best nvme on the market and it takes 10 seconds to load...so much bs. also taking screenshots makes the game stutter and no borderless fullscreen is bullshit.

Paasei

If you enjoyed Mass Effect 2 and being able to activate your squad's powers on the battlefield, you will enjoy this. The combat is nice and smooth and the animations and finishing moves all flow nicely. You have to use your own character, Starlord, as both a fighter and a tactician/strategist. It's funny, though, your main firing button for your guns is almost totally useless. You need to use your elemental ammo and moves/abilities.

The game's combat sections are also completely seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game. The fights actually serve a purpose to advance the story and characters.
Got it last night, spent an hour listening to the opening music, so gooood. And then some more in the main hub. Did the first 2 chapters after. I'm really digging it so far. Nobody here was overreacting when they said the dialogue between the characters is just top notch and one of, if not, the best out there right now.

J3nga

15 hours in and I guess my opinion will be unpopular but this is nowhere near to being my GOTY, have no problem people loving the game and calling it GOTY, but to me as a game it sucks and I kinda don't enjoy the game at all simply because the gameplay is so shallow and all the elements are lacking depth, the combat is so bad to me all you do is run around the arena and shoot bullet-spongy things. I didn't play the Avengers but I have a feeling that they ripped off the combat from there or some other shitty game bloated with mtx, it's like I'm playing looter-shooter just without the loot. Some positives that prevent me from writing off the game completely would be characters and chemistry between them, pretty interesting story and sense of an adventure. It's pretty good as something marvel related or GoTG and in a series format would've been better to myself but as a game very mediocre. Guess I should've listened to an advice to watch this on Youtube, don't think I would've lost much. I have a few chapters left but it's tempting to "finish" the game on youtube.

Last edited:

Nico_D

The game is great and pretty close being the best version of the characters. Shame about the bugs tho, there has been quite many, couple of game locking too. On PS5S.

The choices are interesting. I'm curious to know what is their impact. I'm also glad I started this on hard. The challenge is just right for me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

15 hours in and I guess my opinion will be unpopular but this is nowhere near to being my GOTY, have no problem people loving the game and calling it GOTY, but to me as a game it sucks and I kinda don't enjoy the game at all simply because the gameplay is so shallow and all the elements are lacking depth, the combat is so bad to me all you do is run around the arena and shoot bullet-spongy things. I didn't play the Avengers but I have a feeling that they ripped off the combat from there or some other shitty game bloated with mtx, it's like I'm playing looter-shooter just without the loot. Some positives that prevent me from writing off the game completely would be characters and chemistry between them, pretty interesting story and sense of an adventure. It's pretty good as something marvel related or GoTG and in a series format would've been better to myself but as a game very mediocre. Guess I should've listened to an advice to watch this on Youtube, don't think I would've lost much. I have a few chapters left but it's tempting to "finish" the game on youtube.
Combat is the only thing where avengers is superior.

Combat in this one is the epitome of serviceable at best.

Luipadre

Just finished it. WOW what an amazing game this was. Biggest surprise in years and my goty. Please let there be a sequel.

I dunno if everyone gets the same music at the end but man... i got chills and smiled the whole way through. What an experience this was

Top Bottom