• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy |OT| We Got This...Kinda

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
so I got 3080 and ps5.... this is the list of games I've finished (only that came out this year)

Resident Evil Village (pc, stuttered, weird hdr, no dualsense... But good framerate. Still think should go with ps5)
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.
It Takes Two (coop) (Pc, great game, no problems)
Lego Builder's Journey RTX (pc, amazing rtx)
Final Fantasy VII Remake ps5 (wow no loading land)
12 Minutes pc
Returnal (great game, dualsense and 3d audio are game changers just as in Demons Souls.
Exo One pc
The Forgotten City pc

I like single player games. And that leaves me with:
Guardians vs Deathloop
I could add spiderman/mm and got since I never played these but I am not a huge fan of open world. Got looks especially bog standard as far as open world goes and I don't like spider man.

Any reason to get Guardians for ps5 vs pc? Or maybe Deathloop (same question)

Buggy Loop

so I got 3080 and ps5.... this is the list of games I've finished (only that came out this year)

Resident Evil Village (pc, stuttered, weird hdr, no dualsense... But good framerate. Still think should go with ps5)
12 Minutes pc
Returnal (great game, dualsense and 3d audio are game changers just as in Demons Souls.
Exo One pc
The Forgotten City pc

Guardians vs Deathloop
I could add spiderman/mm and got since I never played these but I am not a huge fan of open world. Got looks especially bog standard as far as open world goes and I don't like spider man.

Always PC with a 3080.

Unless it was patched? It’s 4K 30 fps or 60 fps with drops down to 1080p on PS5 for GOTG. Deathloop they added DLSS so it’s a no brainer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Always PC with a 3080.

Unless it was patched? It’s 4K 30 fps or 60 fps with drops down to 1080p on PS5 for GOTG. Deathloop they added DLSS so it’s a no brainer.
Yeah I presume 3080 is the way of course.
I am just being cautious. You know - pc is pc as usual so bad ports etc happen.
But also - ps5 3d audio and dualsense support might be so cool that I could be willing to play there !

Buggy Loop

Yeah I presume 3080 is the way of course.
I am just being cautious. You know - pc is pc as usual so bad ports etc happen.
But also - ps5 3d audio and dualsense support might be so cool that I could be willing to play there !

Deathloop got dual sense support on Pc at least.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm on Chapter 9. I'm enjoying it and it really do be more like the comics and less like the Gunn movies besides the team. Only thing I don't like is what the focus on the plot is. Wish it was a big more focused on them doing missions to get out of debt or something like but it's probably gonna get a sequel so there's that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

12 Minutes pc
Exo One pc
The Forgotten City pc

Guardians vs Deathloop

Guardians and deathloop were $25 in ps5 so went with them instead. I can also trade them back in.

Shmunter

How so? If you set the console to 1080p it will still look low res on a 4k tv.
The high end machines internally render higher than the 1080p and down sample. A downsampled image is still higher iq than a native render.

Think of film, where a low res image still can look great due to it being downsampled from literally infinity (what a lens captures)

GymWolf

In my humble opinion, it is one of the most graphically and artistically impressive games out there. Little or nothing to envy the most mentioned games on a graphical level in general for being exclusive.

But it is also that it has been a very good game in general and with a super entertaining story ..... and fun.
Sadly, GOTG has had to deal with not very good ads trailers, SE's background with Marvel Avernger and I add not having the hook of being exclusive that always helps to sell better.
My wish that GOTG do well from now on with word of mouth and serve to rethink SE in projects in the face of the failure of Avenger.
Animations are probably the weakest point, not bad per se but not on the level of some other major games, especially during combat.

GymWolf

I actually like the animations and locomotions, the character has weight on his movements.
Yeah but they are a bit clunky sometimes and there is too much sliding in position, it doesn't look as tight as tlou2, spiderman or gow to name a few.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I actually like the animations and locomotions, the character has weight on his movements.
Not the walking and especially the running cycle, biggest weakpoint of the animations I have seen so far. The rest is great, but Starlord running feels robotically weird.

Darsxx82

Animations are probably the weakest point, not bad per se but not on the level of some other major games, especially during combat.
I think they are quite good, I would even say that the contextual and facial animations are excellent.

I think that the problem in combat is more that they are simole and not completely elaborated in general and it also translates into fewer animations due to the lack of a greater number of actions.

GymWolf

I think they are quite good, I would even say that the contextual and facial animations are excellent.

I think that the problem in combat is more that they are simole and not completely elaborated in general and it also translates into fewer animations due to the lack of a greater number of actions.
Oh yeah facial animation are top tier.

Probably on par with tlou2.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
After being distracted by FH5, I'm finally returning to finish up GotG. Currently on Chapter 14 and it feels like the game is getting to the climatic ending soon. It's my bedtime game I've been playing on local streaming using Moonlight and Razer Kishi. The characters have been enjoyable, with Drax and Mantis as standouts. I probably should have focused more on collecting costumes. Guess that will be for the next playthrough.

WiCkEd_Co

Bought this for my pc since it supports super ultra widescreen and love it, 1 thing I did encounter was my Xbox wireless headset work fine and then about 25% though the game it started skipping.

Only with this game, head set was paired though the pc via Xbox dongle.

Switch to my PS5 wireless headset and it works perfectly so something with the Xbox head is clashing with this game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bought this for PS5 on sale, just started playing. Seems pretty cool, although it gives me that same "high quality but not completely finished" vibe I got from Jedi Fallen Order and some other games. Basically games that try to emulate the very best games on the market but fall a bit short. Like, this game generally looks good but has quite a lot of visual glitches, and it generally plays well but has some definite jank.

And the 60fps mode seems really badly optimized. Looks significantly worse and lower res than the quality mode, but frequently fails to maintain 60fps. And 30fps just feels too unresponsive (the input lag is really noticeable), so I really don't want to use that mode either. Haven't tried the RT mode, how's that? Gonna guess also 30fps, but lower res than quality mode?

Another nitpick is that with subtitles enabled, radio communications (which come from the controller) are NOT subtitled. Not that I really NEED them, but I always enable subtitles so I don't miss any dialogue. So it's a bit jarring when certain dialogue doesn't get them. Anyone else notice this, or did I hit some weird bug (it's been like this from the start)?

But with all that said, the game seems like a fun time overall, with great music.

Last edited:

bargeparty

Bought this for PS5 on sale, just started playing. Seems pretty cool, although it gives me that same "high quality but not completely finished" vibe I got from Jedi Fallen Order and some other games. Basically games that try to emulate the very best games on the market but fall a bit short. Like, this game generally looks good but has quite a lot of visual glitches, and it generally plays well but has some definite jank.

And the 60fps mode seems really badly optimized. Looks significantly worse and lower res than the quality mode, but frequently fails to maintain 60fps. And 30fps just feels too unresponsive (the input lag is really noticeable), so I really don't want to use that mode either. Haven't tried the RT mode, how's that? Gonna guess also 30fps, but lower res than quality mode?

Another nitpick is that with subtitles enabled, radio communications (which come from the controller) are NOT subtitled. Not that I really NEED them, but I always enable subtitles so I don't miss any dialogue. So it's a bit jarring when certain dialogue doesn't get them. Anyone else notice this, or did I hit some weird bug (it's been like this from the start)?

But with all that said, the game seems like a fun time overall, with great music.

Can't comment on the complaints but this game is miles above fallen order.

J3nga

Picked it up on sale and it's really freakin good. Love everything about my first 5 hours with it so far. The soundtrack and 80s nostalgia are amazing. Great writing and pacing. Underrated game.
The fact that the game came out after the Avengers hurt it the most I think. Square Enix shot themselves in the foot with this one. So while mases may have missed it(the game one month after the release being sold at more than 50% discount tells that sales are really bad), media, bloggers, youtubers you name it are really praising so it's definitely not underrated from that perspective(to me it's overrated because of dull gameplay and uninspiring combat). Blame Square Enix not gamers.

Last edited:

Raphael

Ok halo weekly challenges finished so i finally booted up gotg after it was waiting for quite awhile (jokes on me, its the more fun game).

Without spoiling too much, how different can the chapters be based on your choices? Is it just different dialogues and bita and piecea that are different, or can they differ quite a lot sometimes.

GOTG Achilles heel is that it's single player. That means it will fade away in a month.

Sadly if you want the dopamine addled gamer swine to pay attention you need microtransactions.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
GOTG Achilles heel is that it's single player. That means it will fade away in a month.

Sadly if you want the dopamine addled gamer swine to pay attention you need microtransactions.
It almost slipped by me and I only play sp games. Feels like only Sony do ping these nowadays

Keihart

Anyone knows if DLSS is super sampling on "Quality" ?
I'm kinda forced to play on 1080p without HDR since my current HDMI cable from my to TV fails when pushing 4k HDR (probably due to the cable lenght) so i was thinking of supersampling since there is performance to spare on this game with my setup, but i'm not sure if i should settle with the default DLSS option or if i should use some roundabout way to force a higher render resolution.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Playing this on Series X, it's been surprisingly great after the turd that was the Avengers game. I didn't think it'd be possible, but I like this version of Guardians better than the MCU version. Rocket is my favorite, by far.

I'm on chapter 13, so I imagine I'm getting close to the end. It's been a hell of a ride. My son (22) told me I'm not allowed to play it while he's at work, because he's been watching me play and doesn't want to get behind in the story.

Raphael

So due to stupidity i am 1500 units short to pay the fine and i dont have a save file to reload. Does this screw me up much ? If so i Will restart the whole game, i am sure i can breeze through to where i am now.

Last edited:

Certinty

So due to stupidity i am 1500 units short to pay the fine and i dont have a save file to reload. Does this screw me up much ? If so i Will restart the whole game, i am sure i can breeze through to where i am now.
If you’re going for the platinum/1000 GS then you’ll have to at least play up until that part of the game again. Depending on other stuff you miss you might have to play more but you’ll at least have to get that far if that’s your goal.

I see this game has now hit "overwhelmingly positive" on Steam. It also has the highest user rating of any current PS5 game on Metacritic. Well deserved.

Pretty criminal it missed out on a game of the year nomination.

Ristifer

Just ordered this game in a Black Friday sale after snagging a Series X, and am pretty pumped to play it. I was intrigued after seeing the first trailers of it, so I'm glad it's getting pretty positive reception thus far.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Guys... this game us flarking fantastic !
I am about 13 hours in and I love it. The pacing is on point, the jokes and characters are fantastic (oh and not only guardians !)
The gameplay is engaging and I love that it does not focus on just aiming at the enemies. The whole combat is skills, elements and knowing when to use what.
holding R2 is just there. I am not a huge fan recently of games that solely want you to aim headshots all the time. Just automate the aiming and let other gameplay elements shine.
That said - the feeling of shooting and sound of it could be better.

The gameplay is not too deep. Actually it is very similar to Mass Effect 2. Simple but fun.
The game is actually similar to Mass Effect 2 on a surface in some strange way.
I like that it's not shooting sections one after another. There is a lot of downtime which I enjoy. It's not a constant firefight.

Oh and the graphics ?! wtf. not sure how it is on ps5, but 3080, rt, dlss and constant 70+fps is amazing. Seriously... ratchet is no longer that impressive and some scenes in this look better.
The animation, faces, environmental detail. It's all top notch. Not a single crash, no stutters. Ray tracing reflections are very noticeable everywhere. HDR is a bit weird and black levels are raised but still better than SDR.
Not a big fan of very cringy, weird looking 80s Mom and Peter. They look uncanny and I don't like looking at them.

I am not finished yet but this should be nominated for goty. Right now I find it bit more fun than ratchet and returnal.
Pretty sure The Forgotten City will take my game of the year though. But man ! This is a super fun game. (ff 7 remake ps5 release doesn't matter probably lol)

Camreezie

Picked this up on sale last week and finished it today. Way better than I expected when it was announced, cool interpretations of some characters, awesome music but only acceptable gameplay. Would love an Asgardians of the galaxy game to follow

Keihart

Really impresseved with the VA, i don't think i have played anything before with so much of it, the characters probably talk for 95% of the game, whenever there is silences} you probably got stuck too long or something.
I appreciate the team building gameplay too, not the most refined stuff out there, but it makes sense, not many games even attempt it to this degree, maybe FFXV Royal Edition is the only other game on the same level of team building gameplay.
Graphics and animations go from great to ok most of the time, feels like an unpolished ND game and that is saying a lot, there is just too many janky animations and visual glitchs to put them on par with ND on that department. Designwise tho, i think it's amazingly good at what it's doing, it's basically the movie version of GoTG redesigned but it very much leans in what those movies made popular about the team, i like it, it doesn't feel much like a bootleg despite actually being pretty much one.

Good times, really glad i got to pick it up during the steam sale.

Justin9mm

12 Minutes pc
Exo One pc
The Forgotten City pc

Guardians vs Deathloop

I don't see one reason to get Guardians on console if you have 3080.. If I had a 3080 I wouldn't buy anything that is multiplat on console.

Top Bottom