• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Review Thread

Jaybe

Two chapters in and liking it.. the reviews ID the game’s strengths but don’t convey how strong they are.. the gameplay pacing so far is fantastic, the “chatter” isn’t just a gimmick, it’s very immersive- I don’t even know how they pulled it off.

But the quality mode on my Series X is basically unplayable - maybe an issue on my end? It chugs, and rotating the camera is jarring.. performance mode is smooth, and the graphics are a step down but easier to appreciate. None of the tech reviews criticize the 4k/30 mode..
The dialogue really is fantastic.

I played the whole game on quality mode last month. At times it would chug and get choppy and slow down. Closing the game down every now and then rather than using Quick resume, seemed to fix it. It would happen again a few days later, and I’d just repeat. The game got a Ray tracing update a few months back, so perhaps this chugging issue wasn’t present at the time of launch and not covered by reviews.

abcdrstuv

Banned
The dialogue really is fantastic.

I played the whole game on quality mode last month. At times it would chug and get choppy and slow down. Closing the game down every now and then rather than using Quick resume, seemed to fix it. It would happen again a few days later, and I’d just repeat. The game got a Ray tracing update a few months back, so perhaps this chugging issue wasn’t present at the time of launch and not covered by reviews.
Thanks, I'll try a reboot. I also changed the setting in-game multiple times to compare, maybe a fresh boot with Quality on will fix it. But I can't over-emphasize how bad it is, way less than 30fps. Maybe it's a rare bug..?

Jaybe

Thanks, I'll try a reboot. I also changed the setting in-game multiple times to compare, maybe a fresh boot with Quality on will fix it. But I can't over-emphasize how bad it is, way less than 30fps. Maybe it's a rare bug..?
Yes at times it because a slideshow. Closing down the game fully at least gave me 2 hours or often more of normal gameplay when I started it back up. I wasn’t switching between modes. Also make sure to actually close the game down when you reboot as I believe quick resume can keep the game in suspend through a reboot.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Yes at times it because a slideshow. Closing down the game fully at least gave me 2 hours or often more of normal gameplay when I started it back up. I wasn’t switching between modes. Also make sure to actually close the game down when you reboot as I believe quick resume can keep the game in suspend through a reboot.
Yeah, thanks. It’s better now, I can adapt to the 30fps but rotating the camera I think is just choppy and dizzying at best. 60fps feels like a real environment. Will see how it looks in combat..

What an absolute stunning game if not for gp I would've never played it but easily goty for me , it's a tragedy that it went under the radar of alot of people but the game is absolutely masterclass

Top Bottom