• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Review Thread

Swift_Star

Banned
Too many open world bloated games these days. I love linear games, they can't rely on padding their games out.
I'm hoping the next TR game follows suit. Not everything needs to have side activities. Focused linear level design is almost always better than open world level design.

Last edited:

JCK75

My thoughts from the beginning were that it didn't look good or fun at all...... it's times like this that I'm pleased my impressions were wrong.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love Marvel. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this, be disappointed, and slightly annoyed/perplexed at the positive reviews. Similar to FF7 Remake and even Avengers to an extent.

CheeseCake

New Game+ unlocks at the end. You can then play it again to finish any achievements or find the collectibles you missed. There's also a chapter select.
Really hoping they add some more additional modes like Respawn did with Fallen order to give it just some degree of replayability.

Either way, sounds like i'll be getting this on PS5.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I want to play it but not at full price. I think I will wait for Black Friday and get it then. It is good to see a decent marvel game after the Avengers nightmare.

GymWolf

Already bought a key on pc for 36 euros but i'm gonna wait a bit for some patches since i'm in my MH phase once again :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Any comparison between PS5 and XSX?

Hopefully there will be a comparison video soon. If not, probably get it on the XSX.

The real question is it better than batman? I thought Spiderman was pretty average tbh.

Great cutscenes though.

That being said, I'm not big on super heroes at all, but I did enjoy the guardians of the galaxy films :)
Spider-Man was average to you? Bruh that had one of the best Spider-Man stories in awhiiiile

Karak

This game's gameplay is reminding me alot of Dragon Age Inquisition but maybe done better? That game largely "played itself" because of how strong the squad AI was and that really ruined all the fun, yet taking on dragons the squad AI was off fucking a corner or something, so when you needed it to be on point it was all over the place, and it felt awful to have to coordinate the AI.
If you played it on story mode maybe. But overall no the Ai does need to focus and do special abilities with your direction

anthony2690

Banned
Spider-Man was average to you? Bruh that had one of the best Spider-Man stories in awhiiiile
Everyone enjoys different things/characters. :)

I've never really been a big fan of Spiderman in general, but was curious about the game.

I enjoyed parts of it, but I thought it was a pretty average game overall, with some excellent cutscenes.

I can image, if you're a big Spiderman fan, you'd love the game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I cried when the credits were starting in GoW. The story was that good and I didn't want the game to end. This game is the first since GoW that has come close to making me feel that way when it was ending, although the way this ends is a lot more upbeat and it just makes you want a sequel ASAP with this same dev team and writers on board. And the cast, they're fantastic.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Some people assume everything is GaaS or open world now. This is basically Marvel Uncharted.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Fox Mulder

The sad thing is pretty much everything they've shown about this game the last few months has looked so far from trash that it makes even less sense how people kept saying it wouldn't be good

The Avengers game sucked ass and I completely tuned out. I’m glad the game is good and they nailed the source material. Just bought it for ps5.

cr0w

Old Member
I'll check it out when it drops in price. Even if the reviews are good, I'm still stinging over Avengers and it seems while everyone loves the story, it plays a bit clunky and the combat isn't anything special.

Kuranghi

I'm more excited now because my flatmate is going squee over it so that will help to play it with him. Will convince him to go halfers on the PC version with me since he was going to buy the PS5 version to play on my PS5 he's so into it.

Also, its only £34/$47 on cdkeys.com for a WW steam key, so if you think its not worth £50/$70 then you don't need to wait for it to be much cheaper. Seems that to me because even if the combat isn't all that amazing (it looks decent-good I think) if you like exploring and looking at nice environments, doing little side things that give you character development/interactions and the like I think the game can carry you through just on that.

FingerBang

I've never seen a Marvel movie and this game looks fun. I'm happy it's reviewing well, will definitely play it in the future!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
ACG review sold me again (well already bought it but now I won’t cancel). After Avengers I was put off by anything from Square-Enix. From something I thought would be a lame cash in to something that can be spoke in the same breath as Spider man (even if not as good as perfection), wow. I’m really looking forward to it.

Nankatsu

Well seems the game is rather solid.

Will need to binge this one down the road, since I'm currently tackling Lost Judgement and still have Rachet & Clank and Tales of Arise on the backlog.

Amazon Prime Video GIF by The Man in the High Castle

ManaByte

Gold Member
The PS5 DualSense stuff wasn't really added until the Day 1 patch (which went out last week). Looking forward to seeing what they added when I do New Game+.

Denton

I am never gonna buy this because I do not want to encourage Squeenix to assign Eidos another fucking marvel game when they should be finishing Jensen's story, but I am glad it is reviewing pretty well, so hopefully this team will still be able to deliver a good Deus Ex game one day.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So all the "this game is trash"-people were wrong - again..

Marketing was poor and no one understood anything about how the game plays. Even Karak mentions this in his review that the way the game was presented plus the whole Avengers thing plus being published by SE were huge red flags. That being said, just because critics call it good does not mean you or me or anyone else won't find the game trash unless ofc you're an idiot and you base your purchases and opinions on others opinions.

Swift_Star

Banned
The sad thing is pretty much everything they've shown about this game the last few months has looked so far from trash that it makes even less sense how people kept saying it wouldn't be good
People want SE to fail since KH3 was revealed years ago.

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

Deus Ex was on gamepass at some point, so it's possible that this might find it's way there too eventually.
They are working with Xbox on Perfect Dark. Avengers is on gamepass 1 year after launch. damn near every Tomb Raider game of the last decade has been a Games with Gold game, on Gamepass or backwards compatible.

So im guessing this will hit Game Pass Oct 2022

ANIMAL1975

Loved the first movie, getting vibes that the game holds the torch and brings it to my entertainment/immersion system.

Top Bottom