• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Review Thread

dottme

I’m also part of the people who bought it recently on PS4 pro. It’s great and for what I played for the moment, I love it.
i hope it will stay good up to the end.

Rayderism

I rarely re-play these sorts of games. Played through it twice on my PS4 Pro. Really, really enjoyed it....both times. Will likely play through it again at some point. It was just that good.

Zimmy68

I had a question. Just started and enjoying it so far.
Does the dialogue choice change/mean anything? Can I just quickly select anything to keep going?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I’ve finally finished it and it’s a great game. I enjoyed the story and the gameplay works fine.
A great surprised as I wasn’t expecting anything after the Avengers game.
Same, i got this for ten bucks on amazon for ps5. I expected nothing, but the story and performances are all excellent

RPS37

Bought this for my 10 year old niece that beat BOTW like 4 times.
Praying that she likes it.
She’s also playing Miles Morales atm.

anthony2690

Banned
I really like guardians of the galaxy films, despite not liking super heroes, but I find myself really bored, the gameplay and non stop walking/dialogue is boring, reminds me off a naughty dog game, very boring gameplay but great voice acting/characters/cutscenes/story.
& The combat is not good either sadly.

Disappointed overall, started really strong for me, but I'm just getting tired of the game, I'm at chapter 14 and feel I might as well see how it ends, even if I do half a chapter a day till then.

I wrongly dismissed this game before launch, I took the media’s pre release positivity as a sort of helping hand to defuse pessimism over the Avengers debacle.

I’m up to Chapter 5 and really enjoying it, a really well made single player fun adventure .

ultima786

Just finished. I really can’t believe how funny this game is. It’s funnier than the movies. So well written.

The gameplay was fun but janky. Graphics were gorgeous but lots of jank in the presentation. Story was wonderful. Really glad I played this. It had the heart of FF7r which was constantly making me smile. There were some extremely powerful moments, too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The dialogue in this game is great and I really like the characters. I don't get the comparisons some reviewers made to Mass Effect other than it happens in space.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Started the game today after completing a game I had for a while. Just finished chapter 5, and so far it’s a fun game with good writing and pretty sharp visuals. Sure, the combat is janky and repetitive, but, for this good of a story and writing, I’ll happily keep going. Hell, this is a blast compared to Mafia III which I did that for.

CitizenZ

Banned
Every time I see a trailer, I really thought it was a tell tale game. And from a majority, it sounds like it would have been the better route.

Every time I see a trailer, I really thought it was a tell tale game. And from a majority, it sounds like it would have been the better route.
There already was a Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy game and while it wasn’t terrible it doesn’t hold a candle to this game…And what majority?

Kagero

Wow! Just finished the game and what a surprise this was. It actually reminds me a lot of Ratchet and Clank but with a better story and janky controls lol. The combat is fun don't get me wrong but there's a level of jank to the movements in general. The graphics and art are amazing though and the acting and story are top-notch. Lots of memorable moments. Solid linear single-player games should never go away. Not since God of War have I enjoyed a single-player game this much. Don't sleep on this one guys. It's awesome.

elliot5

Game surprised me and has a lot of fun uses of its dialogue mechanics throughout the game. Really special and creative storytelling in this game. Enjoyed it a lot. If you like the GoTG characters even a little bit from the movies/comics check this out. They’re better than the movies and the story is way more thoughtful.

SpokkX

I really like guardians of the galaxy films, despite not liking super heroes, but I find myself really bored, the gameplay and non stop walking/dialogue is boring, reminds me off a naughty dog game, very boring gameplay but great voice acting/characters/cutscenes/story.
& The combat is not good either sadly.

Disappointed overall, started really strong for me, but I'm just getting tired of the game, I'm at chapter 14 and feel I might as well see how it ends, even if I do half a chapter a day till then.
Yeah this is my take after 5 chapters..

It is basically a naughty dog game - warts and all

Boring/ok-ish gameplay with GREAT dialogue and characters

I am enjoying the ride (story, characters etc) but the actual gameplay is not that fun. Again just like TLOU and Uncharted games

anthony2690

Banned

I am enjoying the ride (story, characters etc) but the actual gameplay is not that fun. Again just like TLOU and Uncharted games
Yeah it was definitely my first thought, I dropped Uncharted 4 at chapter 10, I think it was the Scotland chapter that killed all my motivation to play, huge shame as I was really excited for it after doing rise of the tomb raider prior, pre-ordered it, thinking it would be tomb raider with a bloke and sadly hated the game (but enjoyed the characters etc)

I finished GOTG in the end, if you don't enjoy the gameplay now, it sadly never improves.

The 80s music was nice though

dottme

Gaf is an echo chamber. I can’t even take it seriously anymore.
After the Avenger mess, a lot of people were not convinced Square-Enix will do any good on the license.
After the game come out and we’ve got good feedback, I decided to jump in and I love it.
Before release, we can only judge the game based and trailers and past game of the license/editor. After release, we can have a much better judgement.

ManaByte

Gold Member
After the Avenger mess, a lot of people were not convinced Square-Enix will do any good on the license.
After the game come out and we’ve got good feedback, I decided to jump in and I love it.
Before release, we can only judge the game based and trailers and past game of the license/editor. After release, we can have a much better judgement.

Except the Avengers comparison made absolutely no sense and came off as drive-by shitposts:
1. They're completely different developers.
2. Eidos said from Day 1 this would be a single-player game and not a co-op GaaS.

JCK75

Grabbed it on steam sale.. first thing that grabs my attention listening to the voice actor of Rocket Raccoon..
It makes me think the perfect voice for him would be Jason Alexander in character as George Costanza.

Ristifer

The combat in this game is fairly janky at times, but I still love how chaotic it can be. It works for me in that regard.

Lunarorbit

I got about halfway through it and stopped. Combat felt sloppy and I got sick of telling my crew to use special powers. The group huddle when fighting? Good concept at first but I got quickly bored with it.

Story didn't capture me either.

Kerotan

Gaf is an echo chamber. I can’t even take it seriously anymore.
Yeah I can't take this place seriously anymore. It's an echo chamber.

This game is next on my list. Should get it started this week. Hoping it's not too long and and an easy plat would be a nice bonus!

I slept on this game, wasn't even interested until it went on sale, grabbed it (Along with Mortal Shell, and a few other goodies) and I've basically been playing it every free chance that I get (Along with Mortal Shell).

I nearly vomited when I saw the gameplay segments prior to its release and wrote it off. To my surprise, it's fun.

Sleepwalker

Finished my first playthrough just now, this game is a gem. GOTY 2021 for me easily.

It felt just like watching another GOTG movie but better. The gameplay is not its forte but it doesn't flarking matter. The characters, the worlds, the dialogue, sound and graphics are all superb. It's incredibly well written for this medium.

The Soundtrack is up there with the best videogame soundtracks in gaming.

It's flarking fantastic. Would love DLC or a sequel. Hats off to Eidos this game deserves all the good scores it got and more.

Biggest regret was not grabbing the cosmic deluxe edition for a few more bucks during black friday, might have to hunt it down now...

Quoting from the OT. Seriously if you haven't played it. Give it a chance.

nemiroff

Gold Member
LLTP, wasn't supposed to buy it, but bought the game during Steam winter sales. About half-way through and enjoying the experience.

Character voices tend to sometimes cut out in the middle of sentences though. Anyone else?

Last edited:

Ristifer

The photo mode is pretty good fun, too.
3Um8jaz.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned

I agree in regards to Uncharted - relatively fun, yet simple gameplay.

I disagree in regards to The Last of Us. I could see an argument for the first game, but the combat in Part 2 is rich in terms of mechanics, level design, and enemy artificial intelligence. Certainly on the higher difficulties, such as "survival".

scydrex

Just brought it. Will have it by friday or saturday hopefully. I wasn't interested in this game or what they showed. I was like mmmm nah... especially after Avenger. Saw the reviews, the comments here and #1 best selling on Amazon for $30? It's a steal!

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Two chapters in and liking it.. the reviews ID the game’s strengths but don’t convey how strong they are.. the gameplay pacing so far is fantastic, the “chatter” isn’t just a gimmick, it’s very immersive- I don’t even know how they pulled it off.

But the quality mode on my Series X is basically unplayable - maybe an issue on my end? It chugs, and rotating the camera is jarring.. performance mode is smooth, and the graphics are a step down but easier to appreciate. None of the tech reviews criticize the 4k/30 mode..

Top Bottom