• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Shang-Chi Fishes for Performance Outrage Before the Movie Releases

ManaByte

Gold Member

During Disney's earnings call last week Chapek (aka Eisner 2.0) said that releasing Shang-Chi on a 45 day window was an experiment, just like EVERY movie release during the pandemic; be it direct to streaming or a $30 surcharge.

But Shang-Chi himself decided to twist the new (shit) Disney CEO's comments and try to make it sound like he was saying an Asian-led movie was an experiment just for performance outrage and drama online. Anyone with half a brain or reading comprehension could see what Chapek meant by saying it was an experiment, but that nuance is lost on the Twitter rage mob that is getting all riled up with an out-of-context statement about it by the film's star.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Asian led movies are the underdog?? Don’t tell Jackie chan…

edit: Just wanted to add for those that do not really know and just think of the movie industry as Hollywood ... Jackie Chan is one of the most successful / well known actors world wide. He is still in the top 5 highest paid actors per year.

Last edited:
There is no hype for this movie
There hasn't been any hype for Marvel after Avengers Infinity War/Endgame. They killed off good major characters and are trying to elevate little-known obscure ones in their place. Disney's issue has always been they are legendarily cheap as fuck and don't want to pay the Marvel actors what they are worth, so those actors just walk away and they are faced with an audience that would be pissed if new people just showed up to take those roles but also don't care about obscure C-tier Marvel characters.

Bringing back the (dead) Loki for a Disney+ series and the (dead) Black Widow for a oneshot movie is just the least of their problems now. No one gives a fuck about whoever's left except Spider-Man, and they still don't have a plan for integrating the X-Men nor are they willing to pay a real ensemble cast of good actors to play all of them.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
5lL.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
this is an American movie, if they really were celebrating Chinese culture it would be filmed in Mandarin.
While it's definitely not the majority of the motivator for pushing for more diversity, some of it is definitely motivated by self interest. Like when you see complaints about black English actors or Korean/japanese/Chinese actors.

Marvel made this movie knowing full well it wouldn't be a blockbuster. Nobody even knows who this guy is (the super hero or the actor lol).

I dunno. I hope it's good! I enjoyed Black Widow.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Who is this guy? He looks like a very generic Chinese dude. He's no Jackie Chan for sure, guess that's why he invokes the woke mob to support his movie and it will tank. Same old story but the Hollywood people don't get that their activism doesn't bring in money.

McCheese

Isn't he just being humble? He was tweeting the other day about going from being a nobody to a hero etc, isn't his message about people like him being able to achieve their goals? I don't think it's intended to be political

sol_bad

The more I hear about Simu Liu on Twitter and social media the more full of himself he comes across as, I wish he would cool it a bit. I think he is totally misinterpreting what Chapek said. At this point in time with COVID going on, it is "experimental", what movie will provide more money? Black Widow or Shang Chi? They aren't on equal footing though because Shang Chi is an unknown character like GOTG, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, those movies all made under 800 million. If Shang Chi can manage to make over 500 million at the box office it's a success, but it depends on the Chinese box office as well.

Apparently China is back in lock down again?

I'm not really sure why this Fu Manchu rumour is going around China though. In the comics, Fu Manchu is the father of Shang Chi (comic is from the 1970's) but in the movie they have changed his father to the Mandarin.

nush

There's an actor that's seeing his backend and chance of a sequel vanish, can't be that though umm racism.

tsumake

I remember reading that the Harry Potter movies were known as “quick burn” movies, meaning they make the majority of their box office in the first two weeks. Even pre-covid, it was rare to see movies stay in the theater for a couple of months, so 45 days isn’t surprising. In fact, it sounds reasonable given the current climate.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I remember reading that the Harry Potter movies were known as “quick burn” movies, meaning they make the majority of their box office in the first two weeks. Even pre-covid, it was rare to see movies stay in the theater for a couple of months, so 45 days isn’t surprising. In fact, it sounds reasonable given the current climate.

All movies make most of the money (for the studio) in the first few weeks. After that the studio makes less and the theaters make more.

Konnor

This pathetic shit is part of the marketing strategy and Chapek probably greenlit it.

They're desperate.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't wait to see the first worldwide Asian blockbuster!
It'll get Oscars mark my words
Shame films like this didn't get the attention they deserved just because it was Asian and didn't have white people and English language
p25570_p_v10_av.jpg

Simu is being cringy as fuck here. Pretty obvious what Chapek was talking about on the Investor's Call.

That said, Chapek is proving to be a very incapable and incompetent CEO. The Board made a mistake choosing him over Kevin Mayer. Chapek's contract expires at the end of Feb 2023 and we'll see if they'll renew it, get another CEO, or get rid of Chapek before then. I would favor looking outside of the firm to replace Chapek, but if they want to stay in house then I'd go with Christine McCarthy at this point.

I’m going to give this film a try in theatres just cause of Tony Leung. The trailers haven’t gotten me hyped thus far, nor am I a fan of that awkwafina girl (however you spell her name).

Personally I would have preferred less hip hop music and less comedic not very good looking Asian chick side-kick,.

Konnor

Can't wait to see the first worldwide Asian blockbuster!
It'll get Oscars mark my words
Shame films like this didn't get the attention they deserved just because it was Asian and didn't have white people and English language
p25570_p_v10_av.jpg

'member when Chinese movies were actually artistic and had their own style instead of being ugly melodramatic Hollywood knockoffs? I 'member

MrMephistoX

Simu is being cringy as fuck here. Pretty obvious what Chapek was talking about on the Investor's Call.

That said, Chapek is proving to be a very incapable and incompetent CEO. The Board made a mistake choosing him over Kevin Mayer. Chapek's contract expires at the end of Feb 2023 and we'll see if they'll renew it, get another CEO, or get rid of Chapek before then. I would favor looking outside of the firm to replace Chapek, but if they want to stay in house then I'd go with Christine McCarthy at this point.
Chapek got it due to his parks creds and then that’s been operating at a huge loss due to COVID. Kind of can’t be an easy job with Iger still there armchair quarter backing.

CAB_Life

China is the underdog? That's the strawman he decided to go with? This man is another race-baiting gifter about as credible and honest as Trevor Noah.

Eventually this will collapse in on itself. We're almost at peak Clown World, so nearly there.

You are not a f*cking hero for starring in a Hollywood movie, how deluded are these people?

Twitter is a mistake. Before that you could at least appreciate an actor's public persona even if it was fake.
Nowadays their stupidity is on full display and it really makes you not want to see their movies anymore.

UnNamed

Banned
This guy is fucking stupid.

A movie which cost 100M $ plus another 100M for advertising, released as a prime product instead of a mixed release (BW) or even worse (Disney movies) with all the risks, with a cast of Asians nobody know because nobody cares of Asians...

...and he still have the nerve to complain.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
There hasn't been any hype for Marvel after Avengers Infinity War/Endgame. They killed off good major characters and are trying to elevate little-known obscure ones in their place. Disney's issue has always been they are legendarily cheap as fuck and don't want to pay the Marvel actors what they are worth, so those actors just walk away and they are faced with an audience that would be pissed if new people just showed up to take those roles but also don't care about obscure C-tier Marvel characters.

Bringing back the (dead) Loki for a Disney+ series and the (dead) Black Widow for a oneshot movie is just the least of their problems now. No one gives a fuck about whoever's left except Spider-Man, and they still don't have a plan for integrating the X-Men nor are they willing to pay a real ensemble cast of good actors to play all of them.
Plus there’s always good ole fashion burnout. 17 movies not counting the dozens of other super hero movies that have come out in the last 20 years. All the major characters have been done. They’re not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, they’re turning the barrel over to see what they can pick up off the floor.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The language of the tweet is ambiguous, so without having seen anything he’s said before it seems like he means the cast/crew of the movie. The photos are largely of Asian people because the movie is mostly Asian people, but there’s also a white guy in there too.

Am I missing something that makes him definitely talking about Asians? He could just be proudly talking about the movie and trying to hype it. At least he’ll still have a job if that’s the case.

sol_bad

I'm
Plus there’s always good ole fashion burnout. 17 movies not counting the dozens of other super hero movies that have come out in the last 20 years. All the major characters have been done. They’re not just scraping the bottom of the barrel, they’re turning the barrel over to see what they can pick up off the floor.

They were already scraping the bottom of the barrel in 2007 when they worked on Iron Man.no one knew or cared about him back then. They cared about RDJ. And look how loved Tony Stark turned out to be.

Xenon

10000 years from now after they great blackout and technical resurgence some neo woke researcher will find proof via a corrupt version of this story that a Company know as Disney performed inhumane medical experiments on asians.

Last edited:
Top Bottom