• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Shang-Chi Fishes for Performance Outrage Before the Movie Releases

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'm

They were already scraping the bottom of the barrel in 2007 when they worked on Iron Man.no one knew or cared about him back then. They cared about RDJ. And look how loved Tony Stark turned out to be.
Bro, if you think that's going to happen AGAIN, your crazy.

Also, Iron Man (and the Avengers in general) are not the bottom. Hell, Iron Man had a stand-alone comic for decades. He's a known character for millions of comic book fans. They would've done Cap or Thor first if they had the rights lined up in time, but it be what it be. But, yeah, a potential Avengers movie is A LIST material. They just got lucky starting with a lesser known member of the team.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like another dud from marvel. They should have ended everything after endgame. At least until they figure what to do with the x men.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Never heard of that website. That would be admittedly silly af. They'd be quite right to be upset about that.

Doesn't matter what the website is. There's literally video of who is basically #2 at Marvel Studios after Feige saying that the name is outdated.

Trogdor1123

ManaByte

Gold Member
That said, Chapek is proving to be a very incapable and incompetent CEO. The Board made a mistake choosing him over Kevin Mayer. Chapek's contract expires at the end of Feb 2023 and we'll see if they'll renew it, get another CEO, or get rid of Chapek before then. I would favor looking outside of the firm to replace Chapek, but if they want to stay in house then I'd go with Christine McCarthy at this point.
g2QANi3.jpg

sol_bad

It's hard to know if Chapek is doing a shit job though IMO, this whole COVID situation screws things up, it's be hard to know exactly what to do with all the different business decisions at the moment.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You do realise the comics have multiple names right?

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
New X-Men
X-Factor
X-Force
Uncanny X-Force
New Mutants
X-Statix
Alpha Flight
Excalibur
Exiles
Generation X
Hellions
Marauders
Im well aware. I've been reading comics for 30 years. They've already done a new mutants movie you shill. What does that prove?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Iron Man wasn't known by non-comic readers. Superman and Spider and Batman and the Hulk are.

So Iron Man, Thor (outside of mythology), etc weren't well known entities outside of us geeks. All comics characters, save for a very few, are NOT widely known outside of our bubble.

EDITED because I forgot a word in the last sentence.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who were your favorites?

If you have been reading that long did you ever collect the Marvel and DC trading cards? I loved them!
I'm a sucker for the xmen blue team started by lee and Claremont. Loved that run and what kubert did after. I also love Hamas run on wolverine.

I had a bunch of the cards! Series three of the marvel universe were some of my favorites along with jim Lee's xmen cards.

Trogdor1123

No it doesn't offend me but as pointed out by Trogdor1123 Trogdor1123 it depends what the story will be. If the story is about mutants in general why would you call it X-Men?
Well, the mutant gene is on the x chromosome I thought and the first team was all men wasn't it (was Jean on the first team?)?

I wasn't a huge X-Men fan till the dark phoenix saga so I could be wrong.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's hard to know if Chapek is doing a shit job though IMO, this whole COVID situation screws things up, it's be hard to know exactly what to do with all the different business decisions at the moment.

Nah Chapek was shit when he was running the parks before this. He gave a parks presentation at a D23 Expo and he was like a malfunctioning animatronic up there.

sol_bad

Well, the mutant gene is on the x chromosome I thought and the first team was all men wasn't it (was Jean on the first team?)?

I wasn't a huge X-Men fan till the dark phoenix saga so I could be wrong.

Jean Grey was there from the start and Xavier had a creepy crush on her. I don't recommend reading the 60's X-Men though, it's quite shit.

That's speculation. What we know for sure is that the x-men name is "outdated" according to that marvel honcho.

Everything about the X-Men movie is speculation. What the Marvel honcho said doesn't matter, if Feige says it'll be called X-Men it'll be called X-Men. The comics still have X-Men written on them everywhere, if it was "outdated" they would have already stopped calling the comics X-Men.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I'm a sucker for the xmen blue team started by lee and Claremont. Loved that run and what kubert did after. I also love Hamas run on wolverine.

I had a bunch of the cards! Series three of the marvel universe were some of my favorites along with jim Lee's xmen cards.
Oh fantastic. I'd love to read up some good X-Men stories. I'd consider myself a noob on the X-Men. Days of future past, and dark phoenix are the most I know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was a silver surfer and dr strange fan. I had the first 10 original silver surfer comics in near mint. They all got destroyed in a move...

I had the complete series 1 and series 2 cards, including holograms. Never finished the third sadly. I really liked the DC cards too, weren't as good as the Marvel ones, but still good.

If they put them out again, I'd buy them.

Trogdor1123

Jean Grey was there from the start and Xavier had a creepy crush on her.

Everything about the X-Men movie is speculation. What the Marvel honcho said doesn't matter, if Feige says it'll be called X-Men it'll be called X-Men. The comics still have X-Men written on them everywhere, if it was "outdated" they would have already stopped calling the comics X-Men.
Also, Disney only cares about money. If using X-Men in the name gets more money, they will do that.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh fantastic. I'd love to read up some good X-Men stories. I'd consider myself a noob on the X-Men. Days of future past, and dark phoenix are the most I know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was a silver surfer and dr strange fan. I had the first 10 original silver surfer comics in near mint. They all got destroyed in a move...

I had the complete series 1 and series 2 cards, including holograms. Never finished the third sadly. I really liked the DC cards too, weren't as good as the Marvel ones, but still good.

If they put them out again, I'd buy them.
Ebay is your friend. You can find complete runs of those cards for pretty cheap.

I'm glad we all agree that changing the name would be silly nonsense as I said.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Iron Man wasn't known by non-comic readers.

He sure was by all the vs Capcom games that they put out. For a lot of non comic readers those games were the first introduction to some characters outside of anything that had a Saturday morning cartoon.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Doesn't matter what the website is. There's literally video of who is basically #2 at Marvel Studios after Feige saying that the name is outdated.
Go tell that to R/xmen and watch the fireworks.
I was downvoted to oblivion and accused of having an "anti-feminist agenda" and trying to "make Alonso look bad" for interpreting Alonso's comments...seriously. Just a couple weeks ago.

You really should though.

For anyone curious:

Last edited:
X-Men: Children of the Atom was the name of a video game back in the day.

If they rename the X-Men because there are also X-Women and X-Attack Helicopters then they have truly lost the plot. God help us if they ever figure out that Batman is a MAN, so is Superman. Well that's DC and they are still apparently sane so we're probably safe there.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
X-Men: Children of the Atom was the name of a video game back in the day.

If they rename the X-Men because there are also X-Women and X-Attack Helicopters then they have truly lost the plot. God help us if they ever figure out that Batman is a MAN, so is Superman. Well that's DC and they are still apparently sane so we're probably safe there.
Dont get your hopes up there. Did you not see the Wonder Man thread?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
He sure was by all the vs Capcom games that they put out. For a lot of non comic readers those games were the first introduction to some characters outside of anything that had a Saturday morning cartoon.

I said "outside of us geeks" ... The mainstream audience doesn't know about our faves.

As an example, You think they knew about Alita Battle Angel before that movie came out? They probably still don't given how it performed at the box office.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The fact that people forgot this thread was about something-Chi and started talking about X-men is indicative of the interest people have for this movie.

Just for myself, and a few others here, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I already bought tickets for me and a woman friend. We're both excited for it!

sol_bad

Go tell that to R/xmen and watch the fireworks.
I was downvoted to oblivion and accused of having an "anti-feminist agenda" and trying to "make Alonso look bad" for interpreting Alonso's comments...seriously. Just a couple weeks ago.

You really should though.

For anyone curious:

I'm not sure what this Reddit post is trying to prove. That the comic was named Children of the Atom, confirming that they are trying to re-name X-Men?

Top Bottom