• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Shang-Chi Fishes for Performance Outrage Before the Movie Releases

Toons

There hasn't been any hype for Marvel after Avengers Infinity War/Endgame. They killed off good major characters and are trying to elevate little-known obscure ones in their place. Disney's issue has always been they are legendarily cheap as fuck and don't want to pay the Marvel actors what they are worth, so those actors just walk away and they are faced with an audience that would be pissed if new people just showed up to take those roles but also don't care about obscure C-tier Marvel characters.

Bringing back the (dead) Loki for a Disney+ series and the (dead) Black Widow for a oneshot movie is just the least of their problems now. No one gives a fuck about whoever's left except Spider-Man, and they still don't have a plan for integrating the X-Men nor are they willing to pay a real ensemble cast of good actors to play all of them.

This is satire right? BW is pulling almost 500 million dollars during a pandemic and you literally csnt go anywhere on the internet without people asking for a No way home trailer.

Saying they don't have a plan to integrate the X Men is just completely made up and the TV shows on D plus are killing cable TV and other streaming shows in ratings.

Like.... what kinda nonsense is this?

Konnor

This is satire right? BW is pulling almost 500 million dollars during a pandemic and you literally csnt go anywhere on the internet without people asking for a No way home trailer.

Saying they don't have a plan to integrate the X Men is just completely made up and the TV shows on D plus are killing cable TV and other streaming shows in ratings.

BW lost money and it only made 367 million. Given the hundreds of millions Disney spends on marketing to brainwash teens to watch this trash I wouldn't call it a success. It seems that the generic crap they make for the lowest common denominator consoomer are starting to fail and thank God for that.

MMaRsu

Banned

Lol bw is trash and not even diehard marvel fans liked it

sol_bad

BW lost money and it only made 367 million. Given the hundreds of millions Disney spends on marketing to brainwash teens to watch this trash I wouldn't call it a success. It seems that the generic crap they make for the lowest common denominator consoomer are starting to fail and thank God for that.

Don't forget the 60-90 million it made on Disney+. The movie has made its money back, not much but it made a profit. And majority of people enjoyed Black Widow, both critically and based on user reviews.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, ain't no one forcing you.

sol_bad

allegedly without independent verification.

The 60 million is definite, Disney reported it themselves. The other 30 million isn't verified but it still would have made money on Disney+ during week 2, week 3 and week 4.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The 60 million is definite, Disney reported it themselves. The other 30 million isn't verified but it still would have made money on Disney+ during week 2, week 3 and week 4.
Didn't it fall off a cliff after week 1? Even worse than average?

sol_bad

Didn't it fall off a cliff after week 1? Even worse than average?

It certainly did, much higher than average,, same as fast 9, 67%. If Disney+ had the same percentage drop that's still just under 20 million for the following weekend. Unfortunately we don't have the numbers.

sol_bad

"Independent verification" folks. You want to stan for what you like that's cool, but try not to make yourself look like a thick fuck while doing it.

Samba confirmed at least 33 million for America.

No way of knowing for the rest of the world but I don't think another 25 million or so is out of the question world wide.

*EDIT*
No need to call me a thick fuck, jesus.

Last edited:
Black Widow was a huge flop and indicative of audiences growing tired of superhero movies.
From this WAPO article (archive due to paywall):

Maybe it’s the model. Or maybe it’s Marvel.
Disney’s highly anticipated Marvel film “Black Widow” suffered a brutal blow at the box office this weekend, falling 67 percent compared to its opening weekend and dashing hopes at the company for a July hit.

Potentially even more worrisome for Disney is that the poor numbers may not have been solely the result of its decision to make the movie available simultaneously for $30 on Disney Plus: It could be that consumers don’t want to pay for Marvel content in the numbers they once did, no matter the venue.

As we are nearing market saturation and Marvel scraping the bottom of the barrel with their c-list characters, the golden age of superhero movies is over.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Black Widow was a huge flop and indicative of audiences growing tired of superhero

I think it is more about the fact that Black Widow was a pretty bad - mediocre at best. As has been most of their Disney+ output so far.

If they continue the same, then people will for sure get tired of it.

sol_bad

Well put some damn effort into your posts then. You could have posted the Samba link but instead you just said "Disney reported it" as a response to independent verification.

Understand?

It's not like you put any time or effort into your post either, you could have looked it up yourself.
Even without mentioning Samba, it makes zero logical sense for Disney to announce those numbers only to lie about it. They didn't announce any numbers for Mulan or Jungle Cruise on Disney+. If they were going to lie about numbers they could have just stayed quiet about it like the other 2 films.

nush

RWhmc7Y.png

Disney just uploaded the same video twice and haven't noticed in almost an hour. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No, they were C-List. That's why Marvel was able to make the Iron Man movie because no one else wanted those rights. People forget that X-Men and Spider-Man were the big Marvel franchises.
No, just no. Thor, Iron Man, these heroes were well known even here in Europe. Frikkin' hell even my grandparents heard about them, just like Wonder Woman, Captain America and Superman or Batman!
Not so much for Scarlet Witch, Shang Chi and Black Widow.

DKehoe

Black Widow was a huge flop and indicative of audiences growing tired of superhero movies.

As we are nearing market saturation and Marvel scraping the bottom of the barrel with their c-list characters, the golden age of superhero movies is over.
I wonder if Endgame actually giving some kind of conclusion gave people a jumping off point. The story they were telling, and using each film to hype the next, took years to reach the climax they were always promising but now we're past that. People can feel like they got what they wanted out of it and anything more is just redundant.

I also have to imagine that Disney+ giving people a new Marvel "thing" seemingly every week has taken the shine off the novelty of the theatrical releases. It used to be you could feel included in the MCU stuff by just seeing a few movies a year. Now it's constant. I know I'm fatigued by it.

But I guess we still need to see what happens when one of the heavy hitter films gets released and maybe one of those still does big numbers.

I wonder if Endgame actually giving some kind of conclusion gave people a jumping off point. The story they were telling, and using each film to hype the next, took years to reach the climax they were always promising but now we're past that. People can feel like they got what they wanted out of it and anything more is just redundant.

I also have to imagine that Disney+ giving people a new Marvel "thing" seemingly every week has taken the shine off the novelty of the theatrical releases. It used to be you could feel included in the MCU stuff by just seeing a few movies a year. Now it's constant. I know I'm fatigued by it.

But I guess we still need to see what happens when one of the heavy hitter films gets released and maybe one of those still does big numbers.

True, Id' say there's still some mileage left in the tank but the honeymoon is over. Just like Western, every genre has its peaks and I'd say we're on the final stretch when it comes to cape movies.

StormCell

True, Id' say there's still some mileage left in the tank but the honeymoon is over. Just like Western, every genre has its peaks and I'd say we're on the final stretch when it comes to cape movies.

I think your conclusion maybe right but not necessarily for the reason you've presented. I think it's very possible that the way audiences want to consume the super hero genre has evolved. Shows like Wanda Vision and Loki prove that there is still a ton of interest in super hero stories. I think maybe it's the movie model itself that is antiquated, wouldn't you agree? Just how much interesting story and plot can you insert into a single movie entity? When I think back to some of the greatest stories told via the movie format, I think 3+ hour long movies (way too long, imo). I have trouble sitting through any of the Lord of the Rings movies, and I found myself squirming and aching from sitting too long during the most recent Batman trilogy. Imagine wanting to like something but wishing it would just end already.

Enter the episodic content with all the budget of the movies but the excellent pacing of the weekly hour long show. It's perfect. Some might even say that it's... X-cellent. *cue 90's X-Men theme that everyone even the taliban can't help but hum to*

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A lot of those reactions coming out are positive about the movie... And seems there's two credits scenes (mid and post)... I just watched a reaction video from a dude I trust with reactions... He doesn't fanboy often... He said it's not like other marvel movies and it's visually stunning.and not what we'd expect.

DKehoe

I think your conclusion maybe right but not necessarily for the reason you've presented. I think it's very possible that the way audiences want to consume the super hero genre has evolved. Shows like Wanda Vision and Loki prove that there is still a ton of interest in super hero stories. I think maybe it's the movie model itself that is antiquated, wouldn't you agree? Just how much interesting story and plot can you insert into a single movie entity? When I think back to some of the greatest stories told via the movie format, I think 3+ hour long movies (way too long, imo). I have trouble sitting through any of the Lord of the Rings movies, and I found myself squirming and aching from sitting too long during the most recent Batman trilogy. Imagine wanting to like something but wishing it would just end already.

Enter the episodic content with all the budget of the movies but the excellent pacing of the weekly hour long show. It's perfect. Some might even say that it's... X-cellent. *cue 90's X-Men theme that everyone even the taliban can't help but hum to*
I can only speak to my own experience here but the constant churn of the TV stuff has burnt me out. I watched Wandavision, then one episode of Falcon & Winter Soldier and that was it for me. I've not watched any of Loki or What If.

StormCell

I can only speak to my own experience here but the constant churn of the TV stuff has burnt me out. I watched Wandavision, then one episode of Falcon & Winter Soldier and that was it for me. I've not watched any of Loki or What If.

They are all completely different shows. Just being in the same universe doesn't make them a continuation of some sort or somehow all the same thing. Frankly, Falcon & Winter Soldier isn't for everyone. My wife quickly lost interest in that one too. She pressed for us to watch Loki, and I was very hesitant (like you) to pick up another Marvel show. I caved and fell in love within the first episode. It is a completely different experience, and to be blunt it has a lot to do with the quality of the actors and actresses. My wife found Falcon & Winter Soldier to be a boring sausage fest, but Loki is more charming and humorous. There's more dynamics between the characters and there's a good female co-lead.

Be prepared to grade every show individually. They will not all be the same thing. Whereas the movies all followed the same sort of plot (big bad villain, lots of terror and destruction, caped character(s) have dilemma, caped character(s) resolve and go kill bad villain, neat little ending, etc), the shows are much more free to be their own thing. They can end in a lot of other ways including besides hero wins the day. In fact, Loki is a villain who now has a lot more to him than I ever knew.

I'm ready for a show featuring an X-man. That would be a neat way to kick things off. Maybe a Bishop time-traveling thing that sends us through the multi-verse and lands us somewhere that looks familiar for a change.

DKehoe

They are all completely different shows. Just being in the same universe doesn't make them a continuation of some sort or somehow all the same thing. Frankly, Falcon & Winter Soldier isn't for everyone. My wife quickly lost interest in that one too. She pressed for us to watch Loki, and I was very hesitant (like you) to pick up another Marvel show. I caved and fell in love within the first episode. It is a completely different experience, and to be blunt it has a lot to do with the quality of the actors and actresses. My wife found Falcon & Winter Soldier to be a boring sausage fest, but Loki is more charming and humorous. There's more dynamics between the characters and there's a good female co-lead.

Be prepared to grade every show individually. They will not all be the same thing. Whereas the movies all followed the same sort of plot (big bad villain, lots of terror and destruction, caped character(s) have dilemma, caped character(s) resolve and go kill bad villain, neat little ending, etc), the shows are much more free to be their own thing. They can end in a lot of other ways including besides hero wins the day. In fact, Loki is a villain who now has a lot more to him than I ever knew.

I'm ready for a show featuring an X-man. That would be a neat way to kick things off. Maybe a Bishop time-traveling thing that sends us through the multi-verse and lands us somewhere that looks familiar for a change.
Loki does interest me a lot more. I'm more into the more fantastical Marvel stuff rather than the ones that lean more to the militarised style like Falcon & Winter Soldier. I doubt I'll go back for FATWS but I can see myself watching Loki at some point.

I think an X-Men TV show could be really cool. The school setting and variety of characters you can cycle in and out means there's a lot you could do there on a longer term basis. You could also have more character-driven stories rather than things just being about stopping the latest person to try and take over the world.

Loki does interest me a lot more. I'm more into the more fantastical Marvel stuff rather than the ones that lean more to the militarised style like Falcon & Winter Soldier. I doubt I'll go back for FATWS but I can see myself watching Loki at some point.

I think an X-Men TV show could be really cool. The school setting and variety of characters you can cycle in and out means there's a lot you could do there on a longer term basis. You could also have more character-driven stories rather than things just being about stopping the latest person to try and take over the world.

I think the MCU is gonna go with Krakoa, and not Xavier's mansion, for mutants. Just a gut feeling, and a very easy way to differentiate it from the Foxverse right off the bat.

Konnor

Don't forget the 60-90 million it made on Disney+. The movie has made its money back, not much but it made a profit. And majority of people enjoyed Black Widow, both critically and based on user reviews.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, ain't no one forcing you.

Reviews for Disney crap are being astroturfed non-stop. The reviews are part of the hundreds of millions of marketing budget, even complete soulless cash grabs often have 8+ reviews on imdb and RT. In fact the only Disney movie I know having lower than 6.5 is Mulan and that's because their bots couldn't keep up with the pissed off Chinese that flooded imdb reviews.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Reviews for Disney crap are being astroturfed non-stop. The reviews are part of the hundreds of millions of marketing budget, even complete soulless cash grabs often have 8+ reviews on imdb and RT. In fact the only Disney movie I know having lower than 6.5 is Mulan and that's because their bots couldn't keep up with the pissed off Chinese that flooded imdb reviews.
You realize that just because other people like things you don't like doesn't mean there is some kind of conspiracy to falsify the reviews right?

Toons

Black Widow is already in the profit phase and it still may see release in international markets. Its by definition not a flop, just a very meager success. And that is wholly due to this pandemic and Disney plus siphoning repeat viewing money.

No pandemic the movie does 800 mil easy.

Yeah, Disney would never do shameless marketing tricks like that. OK, please remind me in what thread we're on?
Disney has put out tons of films that have been panned by critics and flopped.

oagboghi2

You do realise the comics have multiple names right?

X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Astonishing X-Men
New X-Men
X-Factor
X-Force
Uncanny X-Force
New Mutants
X-Statix
Alpha Flight
Excalibur
Exiles
Generation X
Hellions
Marauders
already in preemptive damage control for a stupid decision, that they haven't made yet? Amazing

Black Widow is already in the profit phase and it still may see release in international markets. Its by definition not a flop, just a very meager success. And that is wholly due to this pandemic and Disney plus siphoning repeat viewing money.

No pandemic the movie does 800 mil easy.

Disney has put out tons of films that have been panned by critics and flopped.
We've gone from "It made 500 million" (it didn't. Not even close) to it's in the "profit phase"?

There is literally a lawsuit going on because this movie underperformed. It's okay, to be honest about that

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
X-Men: Children of the Atom was the name of a video game back in the day.

If they rename the X-Men because there are also X-Women and X-Attack Helicopters then they have truly lost the plot. God help us if they ever figure out that Batman is a MAN, so is Superman. Well that's DC and they are still apparently sane so we're probably safe there.
These people probably want to refer our species as a different name, because 'human' apparently has some male undertones and is therefore offensive.

The pansy world we live in is fucking retarded.

sol_bad

Where is your proof of astro turning? They have had multiple movies with terrible or average reviews.

Top Bottom