• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man 2 Gameplay Revealed - Releases Fall 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i really liked spiderman 2018 and i'll definitely play this at some point but i was more hyped before this trailer. it doesn't look that great. i hope they give spiderman a rest after this and do something else, but the IP is so big they will probably just keep iterating on this same formula in the same engine.

Labolas

Also not a big fan of how the black suit looks. It's too alien. I liked how it looked like a slick spandex suit in the comics. Sometimes simple is better. And I think Parker is going to become Venom in this and there's no Eddie Brock, which fucking sucks.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ScQMPEB.jpg

His first sentence I won't even dignify with a response. With the second statement about additional work and wizardry, why not provide gameplay trailer that includes these great things?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
@staticshock
Maybe I should have been more clear about what I meant.
If you watched it in 4k, you'll see parts of Spider-man Venom suit moving.

The areas around the neck, arm and legs.
yk9MHbm.jpg

As for the face, they went with smooth leather like look which doesn't show as much detail as the other suits.

Other than that, only issue I saw was the sea water had not much interaction with the characters.

Don't know what's your problem.
Yup, definitely looks like the ballsack armors in Witcher tv show and Witcher 3 update.

CGNoire

These guys are so lame.
Ask these guys what next-gen is supposed to look like, they can't answer you.

We are at the point of diminishing returns.
ZJnDK0S.jpg

Some games look better than real life.
The left image looks nothing like the right. How small is your cellphone screen?

You need to fucking learn to read the room. When the significant majority are saying this looks like miles dlc, maybe you are the problem. Most underwhelming 'next gen' showing ever. In starting to think it's coming to PS4.
lets wait until the Digital Fundry analysis. for the "graphics talk"

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That’s the first thing I thought of

Spider-Man is upping the ante on big set piece moments. Looked like uncharted on steroids

Guess jaded gamers can’t get excited about even that anymore
Or we don’t want Uncharted on steroids in the next Spider-Man. We’ve had enough Uncharted for a good while.

This is what happens when everyone DEMANDS 60fps modes. They have to target the asset quality and world around that. The 30fps mode is just the same with a higher res and a slightly better quality

This is why the matrix demo looks so good. It TARGETS 30FPS. you can literally push twice the assets
I would NEVER make this trade. Games look fine today, would rather have smooth gameplay than a slideshow that looks nice. These are *games* afterall, we play them. 60 fps will always be superior to 30fps.

It isn’t and I agree with that poster. I hope the final game looks better but this was a negligible looking improvement visually over the first game and Miles Morales.

I have no doubts there is some cool tech hidden in it, but that video was not some huge leap by any fucking stretch.
🤦‍♂️

Seriously? You are excited about a qte setpiece event? :pie_roffles: Go watch an Avengers movie ffs. Why are you playing games?
This sounds like
“You can’t enjoy things that I don’t enjoy”
To me

People are different dude, and want/enjoy different things. I know this may be a shock to you, but the world is a big place and people have different tastes.

Fake

Some of you guys can't take a different opinion and start to cry.

I quite sure the game will be great as usual, but is not looking next gen to me so far.

Is not the same impact when I saw the first Spider-Man on PS4... same as GoW.

Is not the end of the world.

Last edited:
When these action set pieces are you only pushing up or down on the stick, yeah, that shit is played out as fuck. And it seems like most Sony games rely on that mechanic.

What would you rather see at a showcase?

A random snippet of Spider-Man on a side mission beating up generic thugs in an alley?

Come on bro think of what you are saying

Seriously? You are excited about a qte setpiece event? :pie_roffles: Go watch an Avengers movie ffs. Why are you playing games?

Cutscenes and production values matter in games. They get people excited and engaged

I already know Spider-Man has great action gameplay

There’s nothing wrong with also enjoying a bombastic set piece even though there’s limited interaction

Gameplay looks to have shifted to new God of War style instead of Batman Arkham style. Looks like abilities with cooldown. Also camera is much closer now

Did anyone else notice that?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Everyone seems to be generally excited for this game except for gaf. Some of you are so bitter.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the more mature direction this game is aiming for. They really nailed it in the trailer. Psycho Peter Parker really had me shaking in my boots. They promised us it was going to be dark and they're delivering beyond my expectations here. It's just that 3 years into the generation without much next gen content and near zero communication from Sony first party, I'm very surprised that this is all they gave us. Insomniac has had a reputation as a top rate studio and I think this is the first disappointing presentation I've ever seen from them.

Looked very heavy on canned scenes, dialogue, and QTEs, very light on actually engaging gameplay. Not sure if day one for me anymore.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What would you rather see at a showcase?

A random snippet of Spider-Man on a side mission beating up generic thugs in an alley?

Come on bro think of what you are saying
The SM2 segment was too long. I was happy with just seeing the opening area in the neighborhood. Then it went full on rails chase segment. I don’t know what they should show, but not what they did for as long as they did.

Yoboman

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the more mature direction this game is aiming for. They really nailed it in the trailer. Psycho Peter Parker really had me shaking in my boots. They promised us it was going to be dark and they're delivering beyond my expectations here. It's just that 3 years into the generation without much next gen content and near zero communication from Sony first party, I'm very surprised that this is all they gave us. Insomniac has had a reputation as a top rate studio and I think this is the first disappointing presentation I've ever seen from them.
I remember GAF crying about the first gameplay showcase for Spiderman 1, saying it must be a linear game, then puddlegate, then Nicheman.

Safe to say GAF can be ignored when it comes to Spiderman

Shit-Man 2 with its dumb A.I. They will always show you a tough enemy at the beginning and then when it is time to face them, these tough boss turn into pussies.
Enemies watching their comrade being dissintegrated by a lil fuck they wait.
DA FACK WAS DAT SHOW?

People that enjoyed this show I firmly believe y'all are trolling at this point, lmao.
Touch grass. Seriously.

Nico_D

Like I said in the showcase thread, I hate hiw the black suit is done in Spiderman games. All the tentacles and shit - there was nothing of that in Amazing back in the day, just a symbiote with its own will. Even in Wwb of Shadows, which is one of the best games in the series, the black suit was the worst part.

Gameplay wise this left me really underwhelmed too. By the looks of it, looks they decided to go bigger, not deeper. Not buying on day one.

Top Bottom