• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man 2 Gameplay Revealed - Releases Fall 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

DrFigs

Next gen games should look something like this. Nothing in that SpiderMan gameplay demo looks anything remotely like the below. In fact it looks like a slightly upgraded PS4 version of Miles Morales. I won't be surprised if what we were seeing was a cross gen title and I'd be very concerned if its a PS5 exclusive.

quentin-marmier-marketing-stillscinecameraactorq150018-with-logo.jpg

quentin-marmier-marketing-stillscinecameraactorq350035-with-logo.jpg
you know how games take 5 years to make now. you're asking games to take 10 years to make

ProtoByte

ScQMPEB.jpg

His first sentence I won't even dignify with a response. With the second statement about additional work and wizardry, why not provide gameplay trailer that includes these great things?
Stevenson really needs to get the fuck off resetera. This was not an impressive showing.

“Doesn’t look that great”

But “has better graphics than 99% of anything released, only topped by maybe Horizon”

Y’all hyped yourself up way too much
I have to say again, the graphics really aren't the problem in my mind. It's clearly not finished, but I wasn't expecting some massive visual leap.

I was expecting a leap in the gameplay. I don't think the black suit's combat suite is different enough from the red's. I don't think either Miles or Peter look or feel powerful enough. There's a point in the trailer where Peter yanks an enemy left and right between two houses in Queens. It was especially disappointing on rewatch. The guy barely hits the first house with impact, and the second yank barely makes him stumble into the second.

If Spider-Man does that shit to any NPC, they should be flung 8 feet into the air before slamming into that surface at breakneck speed - and if it's a house made of plaster and wood, there should be a visual sign of destruction there to mark the impact.

I don't think the combat animations or feel have gotten any smoother or more tactile. I think the scale of combat is too small. There aren't enough enemy and civillian NPCs, the level design hasn't gotten any better, traversal looks a lot faster, but they've shown no improvements in contextual animations or swinging freedom.

I might actually make a post about this later - I was really expecting a big gameplay upgrade.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I remember GAF crying about the first gameplay showcase for Spiderman 1, saying it must be a linear game, then puddlegate, then Nicheman.

Safe to say GAF can be ignored when it comes to Spiderman

Well I wasn't here for puddlegate but I can assure you I always thought it was very silly. This to me is different. There are enough scenes that make me scratch my head when I compare them to Miles Morales. To be clear I am nowhere close to writing off this game because as I said the game's narrative is shaping up to be surprisingly excellent and it's Insomniac - chances are everything will be sorted by release. All I'm saying is I am very surprised by the quality of the presentation in the here and now.

I was expecting a leap in the gameplay. I don't think the black suit's combat suite is different enough from the red's. I don't think either Miles or Peter look or feel powerful enough.

They’re not going to show off all the game play changes at a showcase. I’m sure there’s all kinds of new powers and progressions to unlock

Miles gameplay was a step up from 2018 and this will be too

So it looks like more of the same—nothing earth shattering, but just solid sandbox gameplay with mid-level graphics. I’ll pick it up just for that.

Was this one made for both PS4 and PS5? If not, they probably need to work on the graphics a bit.

Last edited:
So it looks like more of the same—nothing earth shattering, but just solid sandbox gameplay with mid-level graphics. I’ll pick it up just for that.

Was this one made for both PS4 and PS5? If not, they probably need to work on the graphics a bit.

It looks better than any current gen game not named horizon.

But yeah, need to sharpen up on the knees on level 3

Gamerguy84

Stevenson really needs to get the fuck off resetera. This was not an impressive showing.

I have to say again, the graphics really aren't the problem in my mind. It's clearly not finished, but I wasn't expecting some massive visual leap.

I was expecting a leap in the gameplay. I don't think the black suit's combat suite is different enough from the red's. I don't think either Miles or Peter look or feel powerful enough. There's a point in the trailer where Peter yanks an enemy left and right between two houses in Queens. It was especially disappointing on rewatch. The guy barely hits the first house with impact, and the second yank barely makes him stumble into the second.

If Spider-Man does that shit to any NPC, they should be flung 8 feet into the air before slamming into that surface at breakneck speed - and if it's a house made of plaster and wood, there should be a visual sign of destruction there to mark the impact.

I don't think the combat animations or feel have gotten any smoother or more tactile. I think the scale of combat is too small. There aren't enough enemy and civillian NPCs, the level design hasn't gotten any better, traversal looks a lot faster, but they've shown no improvements in contextual animations or swinging freedom.

I might actually make a post about this later - I was really expecting a big gameplay upgrade.
That seems to be a lot of conclusions over a 12 minute slice.

Like I said in the showcase thread, I hate hiw the black suit is done in Spiderman games. All the tentacles and shit - there was nothing of that in Amazing back in the day, just a symbiote with its own will. Even in Wwb of Shadows, which is one of the best games in the series, the black suit was the worst part.

Gameplay wise this left me really underwhelmed too. By the looks of it, looks they decided to go bigger, not deeper. Not buying on day one.
well, for me, it's the first time i've ever seen that black suit, & i instantly disliked it. underwhelmed, as well, & not being a miles fan, probably even moreso than yourself. will be waiting for either a sale or wolverine (whichever comes first)...

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Damn, Peter is so cold in this trailer. Cutting off Miles during the phone call, Giving zero shits about Ganke's existence, and the IDGAF shove he gave to the civilian he just saved, as if he regrets saving him in the first place haha. Yeah I LOVE this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You need to fucking learn to read the room. When the significant majority are saying this looks like miles dlc, maybe you are the problem. Most underwhelming 'next gen' showing ever. Im starting to think it's coming to PS4.
You have got jstevendon doing damage control on Twitter. Baghdad bobing on era, the most developer friendly message board on the internet where they go on their knees to perform oral on devs, and people think it’s just a few angry nerds.

The game got a huge downgrade from the original trailer which didn’t even look that amazing. It looks cross gen as fuck. It headlined a conference that was rated D,F and Shit by the vast majority of gaffers. It didn’t save anything.

Its true what they say, there is a defense force for everything.

Gamerguy84

Damn, Peter is so cold in this trailer. Cutting off Miles during the phone call, Giving zero shits about Ganke's existence, and the IDGAF shove he gave to the civilian he just saved, as if he regrets saving him in the first place haha. Yeah I LOVE this.
Yea somethings going on with him, at least in this scene. Miles even says he's acting different.

The game got a huge downgrade from the original trailer

Looking at the trailer cutscenes with closeups of miles and Spider-Man and it looks the same to me.

Last year you were drooling over Starfield’s visuals being a true next gen showcase when that game has worse visuals than this from what we’ve seen so far.

I think just because it looks similar to its predecessors that it’s somehow not good anymore, when the truth is it was always superb and diminishing returns are pretty real

Last edited:
Not really—it never looked great, just good with smooth frame rates (mostly) and solid gameplay. And frankly, it’s not just Horizon—Dad of War: Dadnarok and Forza Horizon 5 looks gorgeous compared to this.

I disagree, it’s better looking than any of those other games you mentioned

Their games are stylized and the VFX on Peter and Miles powers looked awesome

CGNoire

This sounds like
“You can’t enjoy things that I don’t enjoy”
To me

People are different dude, and want/enjoy different things. I know this may be a shock to you, but the world is a big place and people have different tastes.
Dude mediums "should always" lean into there unique strengths.

CGNoire

And yet I would bet my left nut that a majority of the additonal 8TFs of power went into resolution and framerate.

That image doesnt take into account what a massive difference improved shader and lighting accomplishes.....physics also say high.

Also I would add while normal maps might make polycounts seem way higher...without real geometry we cant calculate truly offline level physics. Where still a prisoner to a shit ton of hacks.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You need to fucking learn to read the room. When the significant majority are saying this looks like miles dlc, maybe you are the problem. Most underwhelming 'next gen' showing ever. Im starting to think it's coming to PS4.
Me: "this show was dog shit"
also me: "damn, this game looks pretty good"
Yeah, my rose-tinted glasses must be fogging up, I'll get them replaced ASAP.
If you think it looks like a PS4 game, that's entirely up to you. I don't think it looked exactly the same as the last one, I played the PS5 version of the PS4 game recently.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I agree with you. But I would have been okay with not having a big gameplay upgrade, if the game looked like this.....

spider-man-2-trailer-reveal-playstation-showcase-2021_73m9.1080.jpg

spiderman2game-sony.gif

The Skull

Combat changes look good. Visuals while seemed more improved in the indoor section rather than open world, lighting specifically looked good.

I hope they do away with the one million mini marker activities that plagues open world games. Less side activities, beefier more memorable side missions.

Yoboman

The whole point of Unreal 5 is that it's supposed to help devs make games faster.
I think getting devs off their existing development pipelines is easier said than done

I mean Hellblade is on UE5 but it doesn't seem to be speeding up anything

Yoboman

I'm not down on this game but one thing I don't get is the logic in speeding up swinging time

It's literally the most enjoyable part of the game and they are changing it so we do it less and faster?

SeraphJan

That's why as we see with Cyberpunk real time lighting with light and color bounce is what we need to make a game look next gen not more triangles. Lighting and physics should be the push.
You are not wrong, however there will be diminishing return for every aspect, soon or later lighting and physic will reach that point too.

GymWolf

Graphics look good but a gen behind Matrix. Still good enough compared to most non-demo next gen games.

Gameplay looked dated and boring. I am honestly blown away by how little they have innovated and I had low hopes to begin with. Insomniac proving yet again that they are not Top Tier studio like ND, SSM, Rockstar and even the Zelda team over at Nintendo. Gameplay wise they just cant cut it even if they have nailed down the production values.
Did your wife finally castrated you or you are just trying to be nice for once?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think getting devs off their existing development pipelines is easier said than done

I mean Hellblade is on UE5 but it doesn't seem to be speeding up anything

Honestly......I think you're right at the end of the day. It's not speeding up anything. Unreal was just selling us gamers lies. Plus Covid and work from home seems to be killing creativity and progress.

Top Bottom