• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man 2 Gameplay Revealed - Releases Fall 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

UnNamed

Banned
I think the game is improved graphically in many way, but at the same time it lools like it's something a PS4 could easily handle with some tweaks at the graphics.

ProtoByte

Anyone who thinks this is next gen needs to watch the below.

Nearly 0 difference

Its not a generational visual upgrade, but that video shows and explains that there actually has been a significant visual boost here. Pretending like the environment alone hasn't received an upgrade is laughable.

I would wait until actual release but it was underwhelming for PS5 only. Forbidden west looks better and that's a cross gen game. Naughty dog where are you? If they don't impress us, then i would really start to worry.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The writing seems worse than spidey ps4 tbh.

Miles:that thing has huge teeth
Spidey: so am i (or something like that)

What? This is worse than angrboring and dipshit forest section...the fat asian friend with the stupid name didn't helped at all...

Also, I hate that i have to play with the chipmunk once again, just let me play with peter all the time...

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I can already see that I won't like this game much cuz it's + - the same as original (But with worse visuals? Serioursly, it does not look very good) minus new powers etc. I mean, I'd love to see and experiences the story cuz it was the best part of original game, but if it means that I have to grind my way through boring and extremely prolonged fights with the same exact dudes the whole game millions of times, if I have to deal with boring and cringe side quest again... I'll just effin' wait for a year or two to get the game for at least 50% cheaper and with all DLCs on one disc.

I also don't have a lot of hope when it comes to their Wolverine game.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

They’re not going to show off all the game play changes at a showcase. I’m sure there’s all kinds of new powers and progressions to unlock

Miles gameplay was a step up from 2018 and this will be too
Any significant generational/systemic leap in gameplay won't be locked away behind an upgrade my dude. It would manifest within the core gameplay loop. If there was anything exciting to show, they would have shown it in their most important reveal.

Maybe graphics are almost the same as spiderman 1 but at least we are getting QTE the game with ubisoft's collectibles clusterfuck open world with batman arkham asylum combat, hype through the roof

hlm666

I agree with you. But I would have been okay with not having a big gameplay upgrade, if the game looked like this.....

spider-man-2-trailer-reveal-playstation-showcase-2021_73m9.1080.jpg

spiderman2game-sony.gif
When people were expecting this to be actual gameplay, especially the fog/smoke volumetrics and fantastic reflections and GI it was always going to end up a shitshow when they showed the actual game. They shouldn't have set expectations with those images/videos, anyone with even a small clue about how expensive the fog and smoke effects would be from a rendering perspective in those could see it wasn't gameplay.

Nankatsu

Guess they're saving the better version for PS5 Pro?
Anyone who thinks this is next gen needs to watch the below.

Nearly 0 difference

Guess they're saving the better version for PS5 Pro?

You can see improvements here and there, sure, but those types of improvements would only be acceptable if the game wasn't being developed on new hardware.

Roufianos

Looks like more of the same, which is fine. We're way passed the era of generational leaps.

The dialogue though is absolutely dreadful, 'I've got the metal murder bird'.

Funny how this will get a pass but Forspoken, Saints Row and Atomic Heart got called out.

And to think, Insomniac used to be pretty funny.

Graphically some parts looked incredible, other parts I expect them to revamp by release in 5 months time a la FF16.

But the whole two playable Spiderman thing is going to catch fire with the mainstream in a big way.

GymWolf

The water was way worse than arkham knight water

RKYw.gif

How the fuck do you go from hfw water to spidey 2 water?

And i bet my left testicle that hfw is a much bigger game than spidey 2 is ever gonna be if spidey 1 is anything to go by.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When people were expecting this to be actual gameplay, especially the fog/smoke volumetrics and fantastic reflections and GI it was always going to end up a shitshow when they showed the actual game. They shouldn't have set expectations with those images/videos, anyone with even a small clue about how expensive the fog and smoke effects would be from a rendering perspective in those could see it wasn't gameplay.
It never looked so mindblowing to be completely impossible, cmon, people were actually expecting something even better than that.

It was not pathtraced cyberpunk or even close to that.

Last edited:
ScQMPEB.jpg

His first sentence I won't even dignify with a response. With the second statement about additional work and wizardry, why not provide gameplay trailer that includes these great things?
I remember being wowed by the first showing of Battlefront running on PS4. And that was with a compressed 720p youtube feed.

I am sorry but if you need OLED + HDR + big native 4K screen to really show off your game's graphics, then you failed.

Nankatsu

The water was way worse than arkham knight water

RKYw.gif

How the fuck do you go from hfw water to spidey 2 water?

And i bet my left testicle that hfw is a much bigger game than spidey 2 is ever gonna be if spidey 1 is anything to go by.

Good question.

And I like how in the first game we were discussing puddles, and now we are discussing the entire river.

That's a true next-gen leap right there.

GymWolf

God I wish they had the balls to post here. I would be telling them what they need to hear.
They know that reeeee offer them a protective bubble, they don't have the spine to hear the truth from people with actual nextgen standards.

Last edited:

SABRE220

I remember being wowed by the first showing of Battlefront running on PS4. And that was with a compressed 720p youtube feed.

I am sorry but if you need OLED + HDR + big native 4K screen to really show off your game's graphics, then you failed.
Youre delusional, a hater who was never interested in the game. The game is clearly a massive leap. Kudos insominiac for focusing on what matters gameplay fuck the push for fidelity, games are too difficult to make already give me good gameplay and 60fps...these are legit posts from the same thread. No wonder the devs have lost touch living in a yes-man bubble.

This is coming from a fan of the studio ratchet and ps4 spiderman were very impressive.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Precisely. I saw rift apart on the livestream. The crappy resolution and compression couldn't hide the fact that it was a generational leap. And I bet he didn't make this comment for Ratchet. Because there was no need to.

hlm666

It never looked so mindblowing to be completely impossible, cmon, people were actually expecting something even better than that.

It was not pathtraced cyberpunk or even close to that.
While I agree if we are speaking in general like could you do this on the fastest gaming hardware currently available, yeh RTX racer says maybe we could even though that seems to have gone missing. But I was more looking at it from what could the hardware in the ps5 do. The GI and Reflections looked possible with some downgrades like 1/4 resolution reflections and maybe 1 bounce GI like cyberpunk psycho RT though probably not together, but no the fog volumetrics in those images are not matched by anything in cyberpunk overdrive mode.

CGNoire

you know how games take 5 years to make now. you're asking games to take 10 years to make
not at all the tools used to make this where procedural and it was done with a very small team to prove how fast you can generate stuff like this in Unreal 5 on a budget.

Vindicator

Expected more from the hype, but havent finished a Spiderman anyway.
Was just wondering about that Horizon guy from the intro (not much into Marvel stuff).

CGNoire

Honestly......I think you're right at the end of the day. It's not speeding up anything. Unreal was just selling us gamers lies. Plus Covid and work from home seems to be killing creativity and progress.
It speeds up more for Indie devs who are far more reliant on Quixel. In fact the main speed up ..up until recently has been the Quixel Library.

GymWolf

While I agree if we are speaking in general like could you do this on the fastest gaming hardware currently available, yeh RTX racer says maybe we could even though that seems to have gone missing. But I was more looking at it from what could the hardware in the ps5 do. The GI and Reflections looked possible with some downgrades like 1/4 resolution reflections and maybe 1 bounce GI like cyberpunk psycho RT though probably not together, but no the fog volumetrics in those images are not matched by anything in cyberpunk overdrive mode.
I mean, zelda tokt on switch has volumetric fog, arkham knight had volumetric smoke that reacted to movemments, sh2 is gonna have interactive fog, it can't be that hard to have good fog in 2023...

GymWolf

Kraven the Hunter has female henchmen (henchwomen?,lol)......yea,this is my take from that demo.
I expect polygon or kotaku to wrote 10.000 word article on the subject.

Is kraven ok for modern audiences? Written by Puss mcwoke.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Plus was hoping it was gonna be a spiderman game, it looks like it gonna be spiderman and miles morales,plus then prob have u controlling a drone and then mary jane and peter parker and miles and miles friend,i want a spiderman game where i just play as spiderman, enjoyed both last games but wish they had kept them separate, dont think im as hyped after seeing showcase yesterday as i was, looks like spiderman 1.5

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Its not a generational visual upgrade, but that video shows and explains that there actually has been a significant visual boost here. Pretending like the environment alone hasn't received an upgrade is laughable.
The lack of pop-in even when traversing at very high speeds was super impressive imo.

Also for some reason people want a "generational leap" when they are comparing things to an existing PS5 game? (Spiderman Remastered)

You got the leap in two steps instead of one here.

Loxus

Next gen games should look something like this. Nothing in that SpiderMan gameplay demo looks anything remotely like the below. In fact it looks like a slightly upgraded PS4 version of Miles Morales. I won't be surprised if what we were seeing was a cross gen title and I'd be very concerned if its a PS5 exclusive.

quentin-marmier-marketing-stillscinecameraactorq150018-with-logo.jpg

quentin-marmier-marketing-stillscinecameraactorq350035-with-logo.jpg
And you're basically providing my point, diminishing returns.
Marvel's Spider-Man 1 vs Real Life.

Matrix doesn't look that much better than Marvel's Spider-Man, which looks very close to real life.

You'll really needs to get a reality check.

GymWolf

Plus was hoping it was gonna be a spiderman game, it looks like it gonna be spiderman and miles morales,plus then prob have u controlling a drone and then mary jane and peter parker and miles and miles friend,i want a spiderman game where i just play as spiderman, enjoyed both last games but wish they had kept them separate, dont think im as hyped after seeing showcase yesterday as i was, looks like spiderman 1.5
I'm gonna kill someone if they make me play as miles fat friendo:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The team developing this game is the one that made Miles Morales right?

If so, that's 3 years development cycle?

We've been crying because even sequels that recycle a lot take like 5 years to release, and big new IP's take even longer.

There are no miracles on this, we can't have everything, not every game needs to be like last Horizon visuals wise.

Looks a lot better in 4K. You can definitely tell there’s a subtle leap

Looks really crisp and clear.

I’m absolutely fine with what we’re seeing and exactly what I expected

lol here come the fans trying to rationalize this away. From Miles Morale There is NO leap. Infact other than lighting and water, there's actually a downgrade
This doesn't even look better than Legions on the PS4.

“Doesn’t look that great”

But “has better graphics than 99% of anything released, only topped by maybe Horizon”

Y’all hyped yourself up way too much
It looks better than any current gen game not named horizon.

But yeah, need to sharpen up on the knees on level 3

No it doesn't, there are ton of games it doesn't look better than like Legion, FH5, Cyberpunk, etc.

Heck it doesn't look better than Legion on PS4 with no raytracing, let alone the PS5/XSX version.
You fans are either blind or ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

There are no miracles on this, we can't have everything, not every game needs to be like last Horizon visuals wise.

Every game should only embrace what's best about Horizion (it's graphics) and leave all the rest behind.

Less woke stuff = better games.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Hot Take:

Spiderman 1 wasn't all that great., I preferred the open world batman games. It had awful pacing and often bad mission designs( taking on like 12 bosses all at the end of the game at the same time). It looked and controlled great and they clearly spent most of their time on that and that's enough for most people. It did have a very good ending and all that but honestly I thought it was unpolished. Insomniac games do tend to have this issue with me on most of their games. Sunset overdrive - great looking, great controlling - boring missions etc.

I'd be happy here with far better mission designs in the sequel for sure. Graphics were the least of the originals issue, if it looked similar enough I'd be happy.

But honestly the part where he was swinging near the jetskis and it prompted "press Triangle" to basically take the guy off the jetski and it went into a cutscene where he did just that put me off. Where's the gameplay there? Sony games always got made fun of for being overly cinematic and I used to laugh them off but this really is too cinematic.

ShakenG

Personally thought the game looked great. Honestly find the mixed feeback very confusing. Perhaps there is some concern trolling mixed in with some over the top expectations... and yeah shills.
Anyway, look forward to seeing some comparison/DF vids.

Top Bottom