• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man 2 Gameplay Revealed - Releases Fall 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

I watched it again and while I still think the graphics are very poor in some places (the Venom suit close-up is a Halo Infinite moment, the water looks gelatinous when anything interacts with it and the boats looked like cardboard cut-outs in that QTE, NPC animations and physics still look very stilted, the lighting in the daytime scenes just looked off) parts of it did look great.

The PS4 games can either look insanely good or really shit look depending on what you are looking at if you stop and analyse them frame by frame but then you don't notice any of the problems when actually concentrating on playing which I guess means they focused on the right stuff as the impression I get even now is that they are really nice looking games.

I think the faster traversal alone means this would have zero chance of working on a PS4 or at least in a way that resembles this even remotely.

I think if the game lets us do stuff that wasn't possible before that this is more important for many than the same exact thing with nicer graphics.

I just hope the world feels more alive this time as it felt very artificial in the PS4 games like everything that wasn't a bin or sewer grate was in a different plane of existence to Spider-Man but that's maybe a problem with the license as Spider-Man can't exactly go around obliterating pedestrians and buildings (although the Symbiote may have different ideas).

Loxus Loxus and James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford

Will have you believe that this is the Best Looking Game Off All time. That no game ever shown or released looks better than it (other than the other big Sony game called HFW). That this even destroys the new Alan Wake 2.

My question is, are there limits to fanaticism?

8.jpg

5.jpg

12.jpg

8eb0V6k.jpeg

Last edited:

Senua

And you're basically providing my point, diminishing returns.
Marvel's Spider-Man 1 vs Real Life.

Matrix doesn't look that much better than Marvel's Spider-Man, which looks very close to real life.

You'll really needs to get a reality check.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

twinspectre

Cutscenes and production values matter in games. They get people excited and engaged

I already know Spider-Man has great action gameplay

There’s nothing wrong with also enjoying a bombastic set piece even though there’s limited interaction
No, if this means dumbing down the gameplay and not investing time into refining enemies A.I

twinspectre

To be fair, if you post like a child, people will treat you like a child.
What should I say? "Look how amazing it is"?
Let try to be more "mature"
I don't like Spiderman, because I'm not the type of guy that get sold by looking at the graphics and qte,
I don't like how enemies look dumb by not reacting while the comrade gets disintegrated by Spiderman, I don't like how they show you this tough guy putting his hands on someone neck and kill him, then when he encounters Spiderman all he does is being weak,
I don't like the idea of a game that probably will be too cinematic to "cut gameplay content".

YCoCg

It's nice to see elsewhere people are pointing out the positives, the changes, people being excited about Peter is shown to be more taken over by Venom at the end of the trailer, how it's following a big comic plot, etc. Meanwhile here on GAF everyone is just talking about graphics.

ckaneo

I think the issue is Insomniac showed off a water scene and in Ratchet and Clank and Mile Morales their water tech is easily their biggest graphical weakness.

Another issue is that they use real time cutscenes so your suit changes are present.

Dokev I think had the best looking game I've seen so far and I was hoping Spiderman 2 could match it. It did not.

Game looked exactly like you'd expect. It's Batman combat with Spider-Man traversal. My questions are:

1. Are the trash stealth missions gone?
2. Is the game still loaded with extremely repetitive filler side content you have to replay over and over?

If yes to 1 and no to 2, the game can be really good. Also, it will be hard for them to live up to the cast of bad guys from the first game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What should I say? "Look how amazing it is"?
Let try to be more "mature"
I don't like Spiderman, because I'm not the type of guy that get sold by looking at the graphics and qte,
I don't like how enemies look dumb by not reacting while the comrade gets disintegrated by Spiderman, I don't like how they show you this tough guy putting his hands on someone neck and kill him, then when he encounters Spiderman all he does is being weak,
I don't like the idea of a game that probably will be too cinematic to "cut gameplay content".

Agreed entirely with this statement. Spider-Man 1 was an alright game with fun swinging mechanics, but lacked a quality paced story. It had its moments showcasing Octavius and the emotional moments between May and Parker - but Miles, Mary Jane, pretty much everthing to do with Negative Man - it all felt like filler. Its DLC was even worse. Nothing memorable, nothing all that interesting, and quite frankly it felt like padding.

As for the core gameplay, its combat was just... more Arkham. It was neat and all, but nothing surprising or new. It had the very basic gimmick enemies that you had to remove shields, that you have to beat and pummel to breka their defenses, that you had to take away/stun their guns. The open world was the same generic "Go here, get the collectible, go there clear out the hideout" etc. SpiderMan 2 on the Gamecube had a more living and breathing world and more interesting New York to explore. I was hoping we would see that here, but instead we just got more overly linear and scripted moments that are cool the first time you play the game, but make replaying dreadful.

Any significant generational/systemic leap in gameplay won't be locked away behind an upgrade my dude. It would manifest within the core gameplay loop. If there was anything exciting to show, they would have shown it in their most important reveal.

My dude, if you were expecting any revolutionary changes to the gameplay...I don't know what to tell you

We know what we're going to get. SpiderMan already plays amazingly well. The only thing they're going to do is add powers/scenarios/set pieces/story

What are you expecting? Already they showed off a LOT Of new powers and abilities

Heck it doesn't look better than Legion on PS4 with no raytracing, let alone the PS5/XSX version.
You fans are either blind or ridiculous.

You are blind or being ridiculous if you legitimately think Watch Dogs legion is on par.

Seriously, SM 2018 Remastered and SM Miles are already awesome looking games above what you are cherry picking.

Congrats, its blatant you never played the game then.

I'm 2/3s complete at this point. Same flaws as the original. It's a fun but highly flawed game, but not what it's being hyped up to be. I consider it in the same boat as any other sequel that plays similarly to its predecessor, just like SM is going to be.

People expecting these big AAA games to be some massive innovations are just setting themselves up for disappointment or deluding themselves.

I never said it was the "best of all time", but it's definitely in the top 5 of what's out there.

Cherry picking screenshots isn't doing you any favors, I know what it looks like on my 4K TV
You literally said "It looks better than any current gen game not named horizon." and "only topped by maybe Horizon".
That literally means best of all time behind maybe Horizon in your own words.

None of those pics are cherry picked and they are all 4k capture from the 4k Video you claim looks so great.
I can show you 50 screengrabs and you will still claim i cherry picked.
Show us what the Best looking game of all time behind maybe Horizon looks like then.
You can't because its based strictly on your love for Sony. If this was a third party game you wouldn't even regard it just like you don't even regard or mention Alan Wake 2.

You literally said "It looks better than any current gen game not named horizon." and "only topped by maybe Horizon".
That literally means best of all time behind maybe Horizon in your own words.

None of those pics are cherry picked and they are all 4k capture from the 4k Video you claim looks so great.
I can show you 50 screengrabs and you will still claim i cherry picked.
Show us what the Best looking game of all time behind maybe Horizon looks like then.
You can't because its based strictly on your love for Sony. If this was a third party game you wouldn't even regard it just like you don't even regard or mention Alan Wake 2.

Yeah, so I said it's not the best of all time if I consider Horizon better. Below that, it's pretty subjective on which game you think looks the best. It's still a top tier looking title. The pics you have are cherry picked. I can go into any game and randomly select some portion of the game to make it look bad, even Horizon. I judge a game's looks based on a much wider sample of footage, and I can clearly see it looks stunning.

This section looks beautiful to me with really fluid animation:

What are you even talking about "love of Sony" and not mentioning Alan Wake 2? I think Alan Wake 2 looks great, but this thread isn't about that game. Visually, it's also probably up there at the top for its specific genre, but it's also not the same scope/scale of Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Yeah, so I said it's not the best of all time if I consider Horizon better. Below that, it's pretty subjective on which game you think looks the best. It's still a top tier looking title. The pics you have are cherry picked. I can go into any game and randomly select some portion of the game to make it look bad, even Horizon. I judge a game's looks based on a much wider sample of footage, and I can clearly see it looks stunning.

This section looks beautiful to me with really fluid animation:

What are you even talking about "love of Sony" and not mentioning Alan Wake 2? I think Alan Wake 2 looks great, but this thread isn't about that game. Visually, it's also probably up there at the top for its specific genre, but it's also not the same scope/scale of Spider-Man.

A 360p gif where you can't make out asset quality, texture quality, shadow quality, NPC quality, character rendering quality, material/shader quality, visual effects quality, water simulation quality, lighting quality, really?

This is exactly what I mean you base your statements on your love for Sony, not a objective measure. If spiderman didn't have a sony logo you wouldn't give a crap about it.
Now your response in a in-depth graphical comparison discussion is a 360p gif? Classic!

Classic fanatism logic. You will crown the TLOUS2, a linear game, GOW, a corridor game, DriveClub and Rachet as "Best looking game of all time" during their respective time despite their differing genres. But when it comes to third party games you discount them and put them in a box due to their genre. "Oh its not open world", "Oh its a racing game", "Oh its a FPS", "oh its not same scale".

What really matters to you is the Sony logo.

You are blind or being ridiculous if you legitimately think Watch Dogs legion is on par.

Seriously, SM 2018 Remastered and SM Miles are already awesome looking games above what you are cherry picking.
So then it should be easy. List all the rendering categories and show how SM2 using 4k SS is better.
Ofcourse you can't, you will respond with a 360p gif and claim supremacy.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A 360p gif where you can't make out asset quality, texture quality, shadow quality, NPC quality, character rendering quality, material/shader quality, visual effects quality, water simulation quality, lighting quality, really?

This is exactly what I mean you base your statements on your love for Sony, not a objective measure. If spiderman didn't have a sony logo you wouldn't give a crap about it.
Now your response in a in-depth graphical comparison discussion is a 360p gif? Classic!

Classic fanatism logic. You will crown the TLOUS, a linear game, GOW, a corridor game, DriveClub and Rachet as "Best looking game of all time" during their time despite their differing genres. But when it comes to third party games you discount them and put them in a box due to their genre. "Oh its not open world", "Oh its a racing game", "Oh its a FPS", "oh its not same scale".

So then it should be easy. List all the rendering categories and show how SM2 using 4k SS is better.
Ofcourse you can't, you will respond with a 360p gif and claim supremacy.
The Office Thank You GIF

Then go watch the 4K footage. They don't make 4K animated GIFS.

Classic fanatism logic. You will crown the TLOUS, a linear game, GOW, a corridor game, DriveClub and Rachet as "Best looking game of all time" during their time despite their despite their genres. But when it comes to third party games you discount them and put them in a box do to their genre. "Oh its not open world", "Oh its a racing game", "Oh its a FPS", "oh its not same scale".

You are now inventing comments I *never* made. Please post the receipts on me talking anything about DriveClub, or somehow not being impressed with third party games? I just said Alan Wake 2 is probably the best I've seen for the horror genre and I'm looking forward to it. Seriously, discuss the topic rather than projecting your insecurities and obtuse/weak arguments onto others. It's not a good look.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the issue is Insomniac showed off a water scene and in Ratchet and Clank and Mile Morales their water tech is easily their biggest graphical weakness.
True. And to be fair, if water is the weakest thing in their game/engine, I'm happy with it.

This is not Horizon Burning Shores; you don't interact with water in Spider-Man games. More than 95% of your playing time would be on land. So I'm happy as long as they prioritize those areas and make it top-notch.

twinspectre

Agreed entirely with this statement. Spider-Man 1 was an alright game with fun swinging mechanics, but lacked a quality paced story. It had its moments showcasing Octavius and the emotional moments between May and Parker - but Miles, Mary Jane, pretty much everthing to do with Negative Man - it all felt like filler. Its DLC was even worse. Nothing memorable, nothing all that interesting, and quite frankly it felt like padding.

As for the core gameplay, its combat was just... more Arkham. It was neat and all, but nothing surprising or new. It had the very basic gimmick enemies that you had to remove shields, that you have to beat and pummel to breka their defenses, that you had to take away/stun their guns. The open world was the same generic "Go here, get the collectible, go there clear out the hideout" etc. SpiderMan 2 on the Gamecube had a more living and breathing world and more interesting New York to explore. I was hoping we would see that here, but instead we just got more overly linear and scripted moments that are cool the first time you play the game, but make replaying dreadful.
I think story is important in order for them to build the world, but if this means dumbing down the gameplay then here's when I have a problem with developers, I have a problem when they are trying to emulate movies, when they are giving NPC (Horizon and God of War R) that tells you what to do, I have a feeling Spiderman 2 will also have moments where PP or Myles will tell you exactly what to do, because these devs are more focused on telling you a story despite murdering what should make this medium different from movies and that is game design, gameplay.
PlayStation doesn't like the idea of players playing games, they are more into "Follow the story just like a movie".

PlayStation doesn't like the idea of players playing games, they are more into "Follow the story just like a movie".

I read your entire post and have no idea what you just said

Having a story being TOLD to you does not mean there's no "playing of games". Horizon, SM2, God of War are all very game mechanic focused games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think story is important in order for them to build the world, but if this means dumbing down the gameplay then here's when I have a problem with developers, I have a problem when they are trying to emulate movies, when they are giving NPC (Horizon and God of War R) that tells you what to do, I have a feeling Spiderman 2 will also have moments where PP or Myles will tell you exactly what to do, because these devs are more focused on telling you a story despite murdering what should make this medium different from movies and that is game design, gameplay.

You are 100% correct. They don't want you to figure things out, they don't want you to piece parts of the story together from the environment. They just want to ape films and TV, which is not what gaming should do. Take a look at games that take full advantage of its medium to tell a narrative: Dark Souls, NieR, Metal Gear Solid, ToTK/BotW, Etc.

Also ignore the console warrior. He knows full well what you mean and is playing purposefully ignorant.

They just want to ape films and TV, which is not what gaming should do. Take a look at games that take full advantage of its medium to tell a narrative: Dark Souls, NieR, Metal Gear Solid, ToTK/BotW, Etc.

Gaming should be whatever it wants.

How the hell do you throw METAL GEAR SOLID into a list of letting the medium tell its narrative? That narrative is TOLD to you in an even more hand holded fashion than the games being blasted. And guess what? That's fine

The industry needs titles like Elden Ring and it needs titles like Metal Gear. They both coexist and serve a purpose to diversify the space. There is nothing wrong or unappealing about either approach. You've proven to be extremely narrow minded in what you actually like and tend to even ignore massive flaws of the titles you like, which is fine, but you're definitely not open to the idea that gaming can be many different things to different people

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Gaming should be whatever it wants.

How the hell do you throw METAL GEAR SOLID into a list of letting the medium tell its narrative? That narrative is TOLD to you in an even more hand holded fashion than the games being blasted. And guess what? That's fine

The industry needs titles like Elden Ring and it needs titles like Metal Gear. They both coexist and serve a purpose to diversify the space. There is nothing wrong or unappealing about either approach. You've proven to be extremely narrow minded in what you actually like and tend to even ignore massive flaws of the titles you like, which is fine, but you're definitely not open to the idea that gaming can be many different things to different people

Tell me you never played MGS1-3 without telling me you never played MGS 1-3.

Also stop with the projection and pathetic insults, Sawyer.

I've played all the metal gear games and MGS1-3 are just like what I said. Cutscene heavy, especially 2. And then we all know what happened to 4.

Tell me you are just making crap up without telling me you are just making crap up. What we saw in SM2 is literally more engaging storytelling than in MGS2.

But again - that's fine! Gaming should be different and there's no reason why cutscene heavy exposition should be avoided for all games.

twinspectre

I read your entire post and have no idea what you just said

Having a story being TOLD to you does not mean there's no "playing of games". Horizon, SM2, God of War are all very game mechanic focused games.
In fact I didn't said story isn't important. Take Unreal 1, Half life 1 or Metroid games, These games tells you a story without the need of cutscenes every 5 seconds, I don't like being spoon feeded with cutscenes.
If they are great at their craft, they will do the job without the need of filling the product with cutscenes, follow the npc while he's talking.

twinspectre

You are 100% correct. They don't want you to figure things out, they don't want you to piece parts of the story together from the environment. They just want to ape films and TV, which is not what gaming should do. Take a look at games that take full advantage of its medium to tell a narrative: Dark Souls, NieR, Metal Gear Solid, ToTK/BotW, Etc.

Also ignore the console warrior. He knows full well what you mean and is playing purposefully ignorant.
From Software, they are master at their craft

In fact I didn't said story isn't important. Take Unreal 1, Half life 1 or Metroid games, These games tells you a story without the need of cutscenes every 5 seconds, I don't like being spoon feeded with cutscenes.
If they are great at their craft, they will do the job without the need of filling the product with cutscenes, follow the npc while he's talking.

And that's fine for those games, but they are not hollywood style super hero games.

Spiderman actually does a better job than most at keeping the pacing solid and not having cutscenes that last too long. They are certanly nowhere near, say TLOU/Uncharted levels of walk/talk cinematic cutscenes

Thirty7ven

Banned

I respect your opinion, aside from the hyperbole. That said games are so diverse, and their structure can be so different from one to the other, that trying to convince me there’s one proper way to tell a story in a game just doesn’t click.

You don’t like it, I do. And I enjoyed Half Life, Journey, about as much as anyone else. But you saying stuff like that is like saying a game RPGs suck, even one’s like Divinity 2, because you read dialog and shit.

It just sounds dumb, and would severely limit the kind of games that can be made. Personally I think you have no leg to stand on with your stance, and it says nothing more than what kind of games you prefer, it speaks nothing of the quality of the games.

twinspectre

And that's fine for those games, but they are not hollywood style super hero games.

Spiderman actually does a better job than most at keeping the pacing solid and not having cutscenes that last too long. They are certanly nowhere near, say TLOU/Uncharted levels of walk/talk cinematic cutscenes
But you still find them, Miles Morales has a segment where Miles(You) must follow his friend.
Like, I'm paying these games, why I must play them with "limitation"? why should I feel "limited"? and certainly these games aren't cheap.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That symbiot suit is absolutely shocking g and will be changed before launch. Its meme worthy cringe

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

The hell, you haven’t played as many hours of MGS as I have I will tell you that, so you telling me MGS is an example of a game that isn’t aping non interactive visual entertainment like movies and tv is just wild shit. What an insane argument.

twinspectre

I respect your opinion, aside from the hyperbole. That said games are so diverse, and their structure can be so different from one to the other, that trying to convince me there’s one proper way to tell a story in a game just doesn’t click.

You don’t like it, I do. And I enjoyed Half Life, Journey, about as much as anyone else. But you saying stuff like that is like saying a game RPGs suck, even one’s like Divinity 2, because you read dialog and shit.

It just sounds dumb, and would severely limit the kind of games that can be made. Personally I think you have no leg to stand on with your stance, and it says nothing more than what kind of games you prefer, it speaks nothing of the quality of the games.
Never said RPG doesn't need a story, because in fact RPGs came from Pen and paper games which has storytelling (Dungeon master) and makes sense in that genre of games.
Videogames storytelling can be more than simply following the "Hollywood style", which also limits this beautiful medium.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Never said RPG doesn't need a story, because in fact RPGs came from Pen and paper games which has storytelling (Dungeon master) and makes sense in that genre of games.
Videogames storytelling can be more than simply following the "Hollywood style", which also limits this beautiful medium.

It’s not limiting the medium. You know what’s limiting the medium? Making a game where the player can’t control everything that happens to the character, endless ways to interact with the environment and other characters, etc

How ridiculous does that sound? You are the one placing limitations based on your preferences. It has nothing to do with limiting this “beautiful medium”.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I remember being wowed by the first showing of Battlefront running on PS4. And that was with a compressed 720p youtube feed.

I am sorry but if you need OLED + HDR + big native 4K screen to really show off your game's graphics, then you failed.

I was also wowed by the showing of spiderman 2018. It looked really great for a ps4 game. Well it has that in common with spiderman 2 it seems.

twinspectre

It’s not limiting the medium. You know what’s limiting the medium? Making a game where the player can’t control everything that happens to the character, endless ways to interact with the environment and other characters, etc

How ridiculous does that sound? You are the one placing limitations based on your preferences. It has nothing to do with limiting this “beautiful medium”.
In fact most of todays games are limited, because they are designed to only tell you a story.
Can't you see? it is there in front of you.

Nankatsu

Watched the 4K version on my gaming TV, and while it looks better I still think it's being held back by the PS4.

Still, it looks better than many turds we have been getting this gen. And as someone who prefers 60fps mode to fidelity mode, I can't wait to play this.

This and FFXVI are my easiest Day 0 of 2023.

Last edited:

Kliptik81

Neo Member
My god you guys are a bunch of whiners. The game looks fantastic. I think people want to complain, JUST TO COMPLAIN. It would be a day 1 for me if I had a PS5

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I've talked enough about my disappointment with their presentation for the time being but I also want to applaud insomniac for the tone of the trailer and what we can expect storywise. It was excellent. If you grew up in the 90s like I did, you'll understand what I mean when I say the execution of Kraven and symbiote Peter made me feel like a kid again, while adding just enough maturity that I needed to be invested in the story. Kraven's faithful design is superb and the voice acting for him and Peter is a W.

Insomniac has delivered way too many times for me to write off the potential this game has to be a visual masterpiece. I will happily snort unhealthy levels of hopium until their next showing. If any studio deserves leeway it's Insomniac Games. They've been carrying Sony and this entire generation on their backs. But those other 1st party studios are dead to me from henceforth (meh, I'll spare Guerrilla too).

twinspectre

I've talked enough about my disappointment with their presentation for the time being but I also want to applaud insomniac for the tone of the trailer and what we can expect storywise. It was excellent. If you grew up in the 90s like I did, you'll understand what I mean when I say the execution of Kraven and symbiote Peter made me feel like a kid again, while adding just enough maturity that I needed to be invested in the story. Kraven's faithful design is superb and the voice acting for him and Peter is a W.

Insomniac has delivered way too many times for me to write off the potential this game has to be a visual masterpiece. I will happily snort unhealthy levels of hopium until their next showing. If any studio deserves leeway it's Insomniac Games. They've been carrying Sony and this entire generation on their backs. But those other 1st party studios are dead to me from henceforth (meh, I'll spare Guerrilla too).
"Storywise".

Top Bottom