• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

After CP2077 i want them both, but yeah RTGI in dynamic games has more dramatic impact. But i just wanted to point out that the RT reflections are actually really good in Spiderman and they make the game look really nice.

They're really good in Ratchet too!

BTW a really underrated game graphically is Little Nightmares 2. It got a next gen update that was actually really meaningful with rt reflections and possibly shadows (don't know 100%) but the lighting in this game is really dynamic and beautiful.

Banned
While they're not as good as GI, I wouldn't say pointless. Far from it. I would've LOVED to have RT reflections in Cyberpunk but CD Project was too incompetent for that.

Rt reflections have the huge benefit of getting rid of immersion breaking effects of SSR. You know how you turn the camera and the reflection fades in and out? I hate that about SSR!

Rt shadows are a big deal too. Soft shadows; accurate shadows- looked great in Black Ops Cold War on PS5.

I know what you mean though it'd be better to have GI than other forms of RT if you had to choose one over another.

I think RT Reflecfions are more important than any other RT effect exactly because of SSR.
in my opinion, there's nothing worse in modern game graphics than SSR... SSAO is a close second, but SSR was just a fucking mistake from the getgo.

but what's even worse conceptually is RT reflections tainted by having SSR layered on top 🫤 which kills the reason to have RT reflections in the first place, to eliminate the distracting artifacts.

Real:

Fw84mWCWAAA3APw

Promo:

Fw84p2dWIAAzJby

JxzOy7d.jpg

mzKjK1o.png

Shameless bullshots. I thought BS were done with this gen. No need for them.

The lighting in the game SHOULD look as nice as those bullshots! Then we wouldn't be complaining.

What a bunch if BS and no, we're certainly NOT done with developer dishonesty when it comes to bullshots and the resulting gameplay downgrades this gen!

Fun Fact- the very first game anyone saw for this gen, Bright Memory Infinite, was phony gameplay running on a high end PC but passed off by MS as Series X.

The lack of integrity amongst publishers AND developers is still really bad and probably getting worse. There was some backlash after watch dogs, division-and Witcher 3 back around 2014/2015 and seems most devs had gotten better with the phony trailers but that didn't last long. Devs just got more clever about showing PC footage in a way that was more believable to the average Joe.

We have lots of examples such as Anthem, ghost of tsushima, last of us 2, cyberpunk, forza motorsport (the upcoming one-shown at an Xbox conference but PC footage). They cleverly obscure the wording and omit the platform a lot of times.

Isn't metro exodus and jedi survivor running ray traced GI.

I am dubious of Jedi Survivors supposed rt gi, esp on the consoles. The DF guy, Ollie, didn't sound very convinced himself and he's the only tech guy that I hears put that idea out there.

If anyone has any real proof that it's rt gi I'd appreciate you chimed in. As much as I want to believe we got another game on console with Rt gi ..I feel like it could just be a good precalculated solution.

Msamy

I am dubious of Jedi Survivors supposed rt gi, esp on the consoles. The DF guy, Ollie, didn't sound very convinced himself and he's the only tech guy that I hears put that idea out there.

If anyone has any real proof that it's rt gi I'd appreciate you chimed in. As much as I want to believe we got another game on console with Rt gi ..I feel like it could just be a good precalculated solution.
Star wars jedi survivor use rtgi + reflection in ps5

Last edited:

Msamy

A
Honest question, is this the final build ? Has SM2 gone gold yet ? Or are u guys taking presumptions of ur asses that this is the final build ?
This game have 3-4 months until it's release not 3-4 years to say it will drastically changes upon it's release here a comparison between rift apart reveal gameplay and final game with more time between them than spiderman 2 gameplay reveal and final game

Actually demo looks slightly better than final game , also I will be happy if the game drastically changes before its release

Lokaum D+

A

This game have 3-4 months until it's release not 3-4 years to say it will drastically changes upon it's release here a comparison between rift apart reveal gameplay and final game with more time between them than spiderman 2 gameplay reveal and final game

Actually demo looks slightly better than final game , also I will be happy if the game drastically changes before its release

so, its not the final build, actually this trailer could have been a earlier build, even a 2022 build, game hasnt gone gold yet, so that leaves us the option that u guys are taking presumptions of ur asses, thanks for aswering me

again, no release date, day just say it "Fall 2023" this can change at any moment.

Last edited:

Msamy

so, its not the final build, actually this trailer could have been a earlier build, even a 2022 build, game hasnt gone gold, so that leaves us the option that u guys are taking presumptions of ur asses, thanks for aswering me

again, no release date, day just say it "Fall 2023" this can change at any moment.
You are welcome , I am not talking any unreasonable presumptions, you actually the one that taking presumptions out of your a.. that the build that they shown are 2022 build and the game may not release In fall 2023 while no fact in the world make sony show old crabby build of its biggest game this year on its biggest showcase and delaying it after stating in many occasions that the game will release this year , and you need to respect other people's opinions , no one here want more than this game would looking good after it's release

Last edited:

Banned
Honest question, is this the final build ? Has SM2 gone gold yet ? Or are u guys taking presumptions of ur asses that this is the final build ?

Game dosnt even have a release date, Sony can delay this at any moment

that doesn't change that they are using fake screenshots with better lighting and better draw distance to promote the game tho.

Lokaum D+

Ue arecwelcome , I am not talking any unreasonable presumptions, you actually the one that taking presumptions out of your a.. that the build that they shown are 2022 build and the game may not release In fall 2023 while no fact in the world make sony show old crabby build of its biggest game this year on its biggest showcase and delaying after stating in many occasions that the game will release this year , and you need to respect other people's opinions , no one here want more than this game would looking good after it's release
u guys need do chill, of couse i m taking presumptions too, its all we can do atm, imo this Sony Showcase was made at haste, it was very oddly for a Sony Showcase, lots of third party, lots of CGI trailer, a movie trailer, and ONE gameplay trailer, dont get me wrong, this Showcase was tier S for Stinker.

maybe this build and this is my presumption on this matter, is a year old build, made for a 2022 State of Play or even a Showcase that we didnt have last year, i ll wait until the next State of Play to draw my conclusions, until then i ll give Insomanic de benefit of doubt.

Last edited:

Msamy

u guys need do chill, of couse i m taking presumptions too, its all we can do atm, imo this Sony Showcase was made at haste, it was very oddly for a Sony Showcase, lots of third party, lots of CGI trailer, a movie trailer, and ONE gameplay trailer, dont get me wrong, this Showcase was tier S for Stinker.

maybe this build and this is my presumption on this matter, is a year old build, made for a 2022 State of Play or even a Showcase that we didnt have last year, i ll wait until the next State of Play to draw my conclusions, until then i ll give Insomanic de benefit of doubt.
I am with you on that stinker show and if insomniac show better graphics and gameplay in the next few months i will be more than happy, and if this happen the ones who are responsible for our dissapointed right now will be SIE leaders not insomniac

Im sure youre referring to me not using an apostrophe here and there and saying idk instead of i dont know but my complaint isnt that Op is not perfect. My complaint is that it sounds like its coming from someone who has brain damage or has had too much alcohol. But its the rule of the internet to have someone play snarky devils advocate just for the sake of argument so your reply doesnt shock me in the least. To snarky rebuttal’s ! 🥂
Lol you just made about 4 grammatical mistakes in that paragraph.

hyperbertha

Game dosnt even have a release date, Sony can delay this at any moment
Because games just look so much better at release than the e3 demo. Ghost of tsushima didn't look worse at all from the demo right? NOT

why are some of you so quick to give them "the benefit of the doubt"? That's the reason you're often dead wrong in these threads and yes I'm talking to you ChiefDada and a few other guys in here not thinking logically. Games 3 to 4 months away. There's someone else here assuming this is a year old build which I'd such a fanboy thing to say dude. Instead of thinking its a couple months you think its 1 year lol. The "old build" shtick hasn't meant dick in the past but why would you assume this anyway, as if they're not going to try to put the games best foot forward.

ZehDon

ND has always been above other PS studios (and the industry). This is nothing new.

They also target different styles of rendering and hyper realism.
Naughty Dog also have some of the biggest differences between their cutscenes and their gameplay, whereas the difference in a lot of other games isn't anywhere near as large. Models, textures, animations, filters, post-processing effects, lighting models; Naughty Dog employ cinematic and gameplay versions of a lot of assets to get their cutscenes looking as good as they can, which creates the significant difference. I think that's worth remember for Spider-man 2. When you post a picture of a Spider-man 2 cutscene, the game actually looks like that.

Msamy

Naughty Dog also have some of the biggest differences between their cutscenes and their gameplay, whereas the difference in a lot of other games isn't anywhere near as large. Models, textures, animations, filters, post-processing effects, lighting models; Naughty Dog employ cinematic and gameplay versions of a lot of assets to get their cutscenes looking as good as they can, which creates the significant difference. I think that's worth remember for Spider-man 2. When you post a picture of a Spider-man 2 cutscene, the game actually looks like that.
But even so that their gameplay models are far superior to spiderman 2 models , only hfw models can have a chance against them

ChiefDada

Gold Member
why are some of you so quick to give them "the benefit of the doubt"? That's the reason you're often dead wrong in these threads and yes I'm talking to you ChiefDada and a few other guys in here not thinking logically. Games 3 to 4 months away.

Do you even know what you're debating me over cause I have no clue? Benefit of the doubt about what? (And let's ignore for a minute the elephant in the room that is Insomniac Games - literally the only developer on the planet I would give benefit of the doubt to as it relates to current gen output).

The game has been assigned a Fall 2023 window. We are in the month of May, so your statement of it being 3-4 months away is factually incorrect.

The "old build" shtick hasn't meant dick in the past but why would you assume this anyway, as if they're not going to try to put the games best foot forward.

Again, what are you even talking about here. I don't care how when the gameplay trailer was captured. The fact of the matter is the game is still under development and hasn't gone gold. Are you disagreeing with me on this infinitely objective statement? If so then don't bother to respond. Seriously this is getting very weird and exhausting.

dEvAnGeL

The quicker some people start to accept that we are in the era of diminishing returns, the better will be for them. Games will not WOW us like they did in the past. We will not see a graphical jump like we saw from ps2 to 3 or xbox to 360. Scenes are more complex now. More things on screen. And yes, the games do look better but they dont have that huge gap in graphics that some of you are expecting. I think that we have gotten incredible looking games in the past two years. Horizon FW looks amazing. GoW Ragnarok, Forza H5 and many more. And of the ones releasing this year. Alan Wake looks incredible.

Last edited:
Seems there's a sizeable amount of people who's enjoyment of a video game is now tied to how "next gen" the graphics look. Same people seem to shit on games that dare to prioritise other elements, such as story and scope over raw visuals (see discourse around FF16 for past 2.5 years).

Now reality is hitting home with diminishing returns meaning most games will only be a moderate step up from the last generation.

The real question should be, how does slightly more realistic water or textures make a game better for you? Surely there are other ways to make a game more enjoyable or memorable than by just focusing on that...
What a cop out, should've just stuck to the PS4 then

What's the point of the beefy PS5 specs if you're okay with mediocrity? It's insane show blindly some of you will defend lazy developers.

ZehDon

But even so that their gameplay models are far superior to spiderman 2 models , only hfw models can have a chance against them
For their hero characters? Yeah maybe, but like their cut scenes, Naughty Dog also have a pretty big gulf between their hero character models and their NPC models. It's a deliberate choice to allocate their resources where they'll get the most bang for their buck. Now sure, there's always a gap in every game, but take an honest look at Forbidden West and Spider-man 2 - most character models, not just their hero models, are sporting good levels of detail, and it feels more consistent across the entire package as a result. For TLOUP2, people only post screenshots of hero NPCs in cut scenes for a reason - it's the same Ellie, Abby, and Joel screen shots from the same cut scenes over and over and over. Why? Because the in-game models are a clear step down, and the NPC enemy models really aren't all that special at all. Go through the screen shots of Forbidden West that are posted about, and you'd be hard pressed to find the same shot posted twice. Why? Because its models look outstanding in basically every context. Spider-man 2 might not be Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of visual punch, but I imagine it'll be much the same, with lots of amazing vistas and details to enjoy.

Lokaum D+

why are some of you so quick to give them "the benefit of the doubt"? That's the reason you're often dead wrong in these threads and yes I'm talking to you ChiefDada and a few other guys in here not thinking logically. Games 3 to 4 months away. There's someone else here assuming this is a year old build which I'd such a fanboy thing to say dude. Instead of thinking its a couple months you think its 1 year lol. The "old build" shtick hasn't meant dick in the past but why would you assume this anyway, as if they're not going to try to put the games best foot forward.
Bacause is Insomaniac not Bethesda, tell me the last time Insomaniac didnt delivered a bang ? Even Sunset Overdrive on Xbox was a bang, sadly that game died due to Xbox players lack of support.

Bethesda for exemple get a lot more "benefit of doubt" and for the last years they put some real stinkers on the Market

Last edited:

Msamy

Bacause is Insomaniac not Bethesda, tell me the last time Insomaniac didnt delivered a bang ? Even Sunset Overdrive on Xbox was a bang, sadly that game died due to Xbox players lack of support.

Bethesda for exemple get a lot more "benefit of doubt" and for the last years they put some real stinkers on the Market
Really hope they can change the look of the game by the time of it's release, also because their are insomniac and because of their reputation that's what's make us dissapointed about that last showcasr

For their hero characters? Yeah maybe, but like their cut scenes, Naughty Dog also have a pretty big gulf between their hero character models and their NPC models. It's a deliberate choice to allocate their resources where they'll get the most bang for their buck. Now sure, there's always a gap in every game, but take an honest look at Forbidden West and Spider-man 2 - most character models, not just their hero models, are sporting good levels of detail, and it feels more consistent across the entire package as a result. For TLOUP2, people only post screenshots of hero NPCs in cut scenes for a reason - it's the same Ellie, Abby, and Joel screen shots from the same cut scenes over and over and over. Why? Because the in-game models are a clear step down, and the NPC enemy models really aren't all that special at all. Go through the screen shots of Forbidden West that are posted about, and you'd be hard pressed to find the same shot posted twice. Why? Because its models look outstanding in basically every context. Spider-man 2 might not be Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of visual punch, but I imagine it'll be much the same, with lots of amazing vistas and details to enjoy.
Aren’t we seeing mainly “hero” models here as well? It’s not like we’re looking at pedestrians in these screenshots. Either way I think it looks good, the graphics are not bad at all they’re very good - and when you play it in person I’m sure it will look even better. But I’m personally a little let down because I expected this to be THE game that brought us into a new level of graphics.

SkylineRKR

What a cop out, should've just stuck to the PS4 then

What's the point of the beefy PS5 specs if you're okay with mediocrity? It's insane show blindly some of you will defend lazy developers.

You've played SM2 already?

Sticking to PS4 is another stupid comment. Why should anyone? Spiderman plays far better on PS5 and has no load times to boot.

SkylineRKR

The quicker some people start to accept that we are in the era of diminishing returns, the better will be for them. Games will not WOW us like they did in the past. We will not see a graphical jump like we saw from ps2 to 3 or xbox to 360. Scenes are more complex now. More things on screen. And yes, the games do look better but they dont have that huge gap in graphics that some of you are expecting. I think that we have gotten incredible looking games in the past two years. Horizon FW looks amazing. GoW Ragnarok, Forza H5 and many more. And of the ones releasing this year. Alan Wake looks incredible.

Yes and those are cross gen games. But many people firmly believed once cross gen would be dropped, the PS5 would show radically different visuals like there is some secret sauce. To me its fairly apparent many cross gen games are already pushing the PS5 to some extent. They take PS4 Pro profiles, and double or somethings quadruple the framerate, up the resolution and add more effects. These machines aren't bleeding edge, they can only do so much. There is a reason FFVII R can't be native 4k+60fps. Otherwise they would've done it.

Sure Matrix demo looked good but its lifeless with nothing to do, lower framerate and it doesn't play well. Its not fun. Once this would've been a fully functional game and thus scaled back, meltdowns will be around the corner all over again.

Last edited:

shubik

Im sorry but this is bullshit. The fact that we can play games like ragnorak, horizon and Spider-Man in 60FPS with heavily increased fidelity is the generational jump!! This was not possible in last gen. Going from a ps4 and than playing miles morales on ps5 had me wowed.

Msamy

Yes and those are cross gen games. But many people firmly believed once cross gen would be dropped, the PS5 would show radically different visuals like there is some secret sauce. To me its fairly apparent many cross gen games are already pushing the PS5 to some extent. They take PS4 Pro profiles, and double or somethings quadruple the framerate, up the resolution and add more effects. These machines aren't bleeding edge, they can only do so much. There is a reason FFVII R can't be native 4k+60fps. Otherwise they would've done it.

Sure Matrix demo looked good but its lifeless with nothing to do, lower framerate and it doesn't play well. Its not fun. Once this would've been a fully functional game and thus scaled back, meltdowns will be around the corner all over again.
game like hfw burning shores have that next gen radical different to many ,on the other hand insomniac are really failed in their last showcase to bring that.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Idk about console but the DF PC video clear as day showed it on and off. Its there on PC. Maybe a mediocre implementation?

CGNoire

As much as I want to believe we got another game on console with Rt gi ..I feel like it could just be a good precalculated solution.

Im starting to get mighty sus of some games who use the term RTGI because when I think about RTGI I think rays being traced to determine individual pixels of the rendered image but recently some DF vid I was watching said something about the rays being used fo determine where the ambient point lights would go. Realtime calculated or not the difference in quality between the 2 methods couldnt be farther apart and isnt what people generaly think about when they hear RTGI. Sounds like companies have come up with more marketing BS like "In engine" ect...

mortal

Gold Member
Real:

Fw84mWCWAAA3APw

Promo:

Fw84p2dWIAAzJby

JxzOy7d.jpg

mzKjK1o.png

Shameless bullshots. I thought BS were done with this gen. No need for them.
See this here is a great example of what I was referring to earlier in the thread, when I said:
Am I crazy does anyone else notice that official PS5 screenshots tend to look better than actual screens from the games proper?
They look sharper, and the shadows are softer and more varied across the image.
I suspect official screenshots released by PlayStation are touched up to some degree.
Although to be fair, there is some loss of detail in that demo screengrab due to YouTube's compression and the lower bitrate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom