• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man Remastered (PC & Steam Deck) | Review Thread

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lul yes...

get a used RTX 2060ti, get a cheap CPU, like a 9th gen i5 or a Ryzen 1600, get some decent DDR4 ram and a 500GB SSD.

if you are looking for good prices online you can get that together with a cheap case and a cheap power supply for around 500 bucks, maybe +/- $50
PS5 is $400 entry for the exact same performance as the $500 4K BluRay player edition. We've been over this.

Banned
This you?

I can assure you based on Insomniac's GDC talks about their engine, that R&C is pushing their streaming engine further than what they did with Spider-Man.

the quote you use are completely irrelevant here as we know the engine and now know how the engine runs on an open platform.
also loading from an SSD is not something hard to do you know, especially on a PC where you have a lot more memory than on PS5, which can be used to stream stuff more easily.

Hugare

it's not using anything special, and it also is not open world... the more constrained design alone will make it less resource hungry in many scenes compared to Spider-Man
Not using anything special?

Dude, it won Digital Foundry's Best Graphics of last year

Its a generational leap compared to Spider-man (even the Remaster). Watch their analysis to understand why.

Sure its not open world, but that doesnt mean that it's less "resource hungry" than Spider-man

the discless one is super rare tho as it is apparently almost not produced.
I know a guy that works in a Media Markt, a german electronic retailer, and he said they usually get 1 discless version for every 20 disc versions.
Yep, the DE is mostly for marketing purposes.

tmlDan

lul yes...

get a used RTX 2060ti, get a cheap CPU, like a 9th gen i5 or a Ryzen 1600, get some decent DDR4 ram and a 500GB SSD.

if you are looking for good prices online you can get that together with a cheap case and a cheap power supply for around 500 bucks, maybe +/- $50
Do you have monitor? a keyboard? headphones or speakers? A used 2060 is $200 or more.

Even then what you're saying is almost impossible.

Really splitting hairs with that joke of a take.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
the quote you use are completely irrelevant here as we know the engine and now know how the engine runs on an open platform.
also loading from an SSD is not something hard to do you know, especially on a PC where you have a lot more memory than on PS5, which can be used to stream stuff more easily.
Nah. It's you picking and choosing when you want to whip out the "are you a developer card."

I am going off of their past GDC talks, what they said leading up to R&Cs launch, and tech sites that broke it down.
I know a guy that works in a Media Markt, a german electronic retailer, and he said they usually get 1 discless version for every 20 disc versions.
Doesn't matter. Highest end PCs are also super rare though, yet here we are, gushing over them in here.

$400 is still the entry price, and every time Sony has a drop on their own store, you can get a DE. I easily did.

Last edited:

Banned
Not using anything special?

Dude, it won Digital Foundry's Best Graphics of last year

Its a generational leap compared to Spider-man (even the Remaster). Watch their analysis to understand why.

Sure its not open world, but that doesnt mean that it's less "resource hungry" than Spider-man

I said in some scenes it will be.
also comparing open world game graphics to linear game graphics is always really damn useless to do.
unless we have both games on PC we can't be sure how much more demanding it is.

my bet would be it will not be much more demanding at all. maybe in some ways but also less demanding in others.

the CPU will most likely be less taxed in a linear game for example

Banned
Do you have monitor? a keyboard? headphones or speakers? A used 2060 is $200 or more.

Even then what you're saying is almost impossible.

Really splitting hairs with that joke of a take.

do you have a TV? also why do you need headphones or speakers? most new PC monitors have speakers, and you can connect any PC to any TV

what a joke of a take you have there... I think you are projecting

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looking forward to picking this up for Steam Deck. Didn't realize they have FSR 2.0 included in addition to DLSS. FSR 2.0 tends to have artifacts in high motion scenes, so Quality setting and maybe Balanced will be the only options since Performance and Ultra Performance will look like shit. There's always the built-in Steam Deck FSR option, too. That might be preferrable since there's a lot of high-speed motion in this game.

Guilty_AI

art is so dead lol.
1200x1200bf-60.jpg

ClosBSAS

If this game doesn’t sell millions, Sony should abandon their pc initiative and focus on PlayStation exclusives.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...joke post? right?....right? its not going to sell a million, itll reach that in a month, but it wont sell as much....sony is in it for the long haul, money will keep coming in for this game 10 years down the road.

A.Romero

Glad to see it's doing well. One of my favourite PS4 games, the only game I have platinumed so far. Also played it again on PS5.

I rather wait for the sequel than playing it one more time on PC but I might get it once it gets triple dipping price.

It will be the best sold Playstation exclusive on PC so far. No doubt about it.

DeaDPo0L84

Every time I see discless I read it in my head as dickless, I'm so immature.

DeaDPo0L84

here's a comparison of the RT settings, PS5 VS max PC tho,

drgMLpb.jpg

glad to see that assets in reflections don't look like PS2 quality anymore on PC
I wasn't gonna buy it but the improvements got me thinking I'll grab it on sale during a gaming drought. Seeing the side by side really makes the ray tracing look like absolute shit on console. But most were saying neither console would be outfitted to properly handle full ray tracing and it shows here.

Not a shocker it looks better on PC though being it's much more expensive hardware, but that's also why people choose to potentially make that their main platform, for the best experience when playing games, especially when it's their main hobby.

If the game on the left is satisfactory to you more power to you, I played it at launch on my PS4 Pro, now I'll play it proper on my PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Are those review sites listed supposed to be mainstream?
here's a comparison of the RT settings, PS5 VS max PC tho,

drgMLpb.jpg

glad to see that assets in reflections don't look like PS2 quality anymore on PC
max pc can only do tiny clouds. 🤣

Banned
I wasn't gonna buy it but the improvements got me thinking I'll grab it on sale during a gaming drought. Seeing the side by side really makes the ray tracing look like absolute shit on console. But most were saying neither console would be outfitted to properly handle full ray tracing and it shows here.

what you see here is more a limitation of the Memory not the RT capabilities of the GPU.

you can't have high detail models in memory outside and inside of reflections at all times, so Insomniac basically used LOD1 in reflections to save space... which was needed with their approach of tracing all the way to the horizon.
simplified structures also help with BVH creation, and that's also VERY memory hungry on AMD hardware and one reason why the Series S struggles with RT in many games

if you look at the reflections in Watch Dogs Legion for example, the level of detail is even higher than what you see in that PC image, but in that game's case the developers only trace for a few dozen meters or so until they use a low detail fallback method.
also a way to save memory.

so basically, if the PS5 had more memory, let's say ~20GB you'd probable be able to use the detail levels of PC max settings there too

Last edited:
The context is the $400 console is a real thing and does exist, just because you don’t have it, doesn’t make it any less of a reality.

But carry on arguing with whatever the hell you’re arguing about.
You said they are easy to get. You are wrong. Might be easy for you where you live but this is a world wide forum and things exist outside of you

yamaci17

Curious how medium RT looks like and can we go as low as on ps5. From benches i found med RT will be the way to go.

Patiently waiting for Alex DF review. [don't care about other guys doing it]
where have u find medium rt settings bench, i couldnt fnd any

max rt settings aint going to cut on 3080 and below at 4k. i 've seen some 4k+dlss perf vids where it dropped below 50s. gotta use med-high optimized rt settings. i hope there can be found a good middleground rt settings between ps5 and max settings. tho 1440p+dlss quality / balanced may give some leeway. 4k assets/lods really take its toll on performance regardless of the internal dlss resolution (as i've stated before, 4k+dlss performance can cost more rendering time than native 1440p, while looking better than the latter. probably what is happening in this situation)

also seems like even at 4k ultra max, game barely fills the 16 gb. uses around 8-9 gb but this was on a 32 gb system, so maybe it even overallocates. feels like turning off background apps, not using browser should be enough to utilize max rt settings with 16 gb ram. though i will have to try

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
lul yes...

… and if you borrow or steal a PS5 you get a great quality and even cheaper than that. Also assembly for free on that PC with used parts? Ah no…

Last edited:
where have u find medium rt settings bench, i couldnt fnd any

max rt settings aint going to cut on 3080 and below at 4k. i 've seen some 4k+dlss perf vids where it dropped below 50s. gotta use med-high optimized rt settings. i hope there can be found a good middleground rt settings between ps5 and max settings. tho 1440p+dlss quality / balanced may give some leeway. 4k assets/lods really take its toll on performance regardless of the internal dlss resolution (as i've stated before, 4k+dlss performance can cost more rendering time than native 1440p, while looking better than the latter. probably what is happening in this situation)

also seems like even at 4k ultra max, game barely fills the 16 gb. uses around 8-9 gb but this was on a 32 gb system, so maybe it even overallocates. feels like turning off background apps, not using browser should be enough to utilize max rt settings with 16 gb ram. though i will have to try

mid page.

Last edited:

yamaci17

that was the trade-off for the long drawdistane in reflections.
it was the right choice for the game but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny up close.
this is why I always cringe a bit when people say that Insomniac's RT is in some way superior to what other devs do.

the comparison that came up the most at the beginning was with Watch Dogs Legion, which also is an open world game with RT reflections.
Watch Dogs has a way lower draw distance for reflections, but the actual quality of the assets used in reflections is WAY higher than in Spider-Man,
and that was the correct choice for that specific game as well.

in Spider-Man the reflections are there so they look good while swinging through the city, high up, seeing all the skyscrapers that actually belong there being reflected.
in Watch Dogs Legion you are often right in front of a highly reflective surface, with high detail right near you, so that needs to be reflected as accurately as possible to not come across as unfaithful

Spider-Man traded detail for distance
and Watch Dogs traded distance for detail

neither is objectively better than the other, both are superior to the other in ways and worse in others
i heard its the high setting and the pc version now has the very high setting

Top Bottom