• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider Man Remastered (PC & Steam Deck) | Review Thread

Buggy Loop

Lol cult of the lamb is number one on steam best sellers now. .spiderman won't sell more than GOW. I am now sure of it.

Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

I love the armchair analysts coming out of the wood every goddamn Sony PC release to guess how it will go.

First days are meaningless on PC. They are not in a shortage of choice to begin with, but also 2 weeks off from end of summer and released at a high price.

Who the fuck knows in 6 months. We had these same discussions for GOW with low concurrent players, etc., It’s Groundhog Day every releases.

Why would you mix a high end CPU with a crappy gpu…
That's simply to demonstrate that the 2060s can produce PS5 level performance in GPU limited scenarios, but at other times the port has unusually high CPU usage which holds back overall performance. Simple enough. Isn't it? A few more patches to address the draw cell/occlusion bottlenecks on the CPU side, and maybe better utilisation of SSD bandwidth might clean the issues right up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I dont know anything about building PCs, but have bought new mice in the past. And in that section there's keyboards.

You can get decent mice and KB for $10 each?
No. You can’t even get decent rubber dome used keyboard for that.
He is smoking shit.
Good gear costs.
Best wireless mice are 100-150usd. New viper ultimate v2 or death adder are both 150.
Keyboards are more expensive. Starting at 100 for decent, 150 for good gaming one.

Graciaus

He is smoking shit.
Good gear costs.
Best wireless mice are 100-150usd. New viper ultimate v2 or death adder are both 150.
Keyboards are more expensive. Starting at 100 for decent, 150 for good gaming one.
That's kind of irrelevant though when a lot would just use a controller they already probably have. You can buy a wireless mouse/keyboard for like $25.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's kind of irrelevant though when a lot would just use a controller they already probably have. You can buy a wireless mouse/keyboard for like $25.
For sure!
You can get 25-50$ logitech wireless combo.
Controller is 50-70 and you are done.

He is smoking shit.
Good gear costs.
Decent keyboard and mice start at about 40$. That gets you good sensors and switches in bodies that feel cheap.

Denton

so far...it hasnt beaten neither horizon nor gow on peak steam...just as i said. it wont sell more.
I am a bit surprised it did less than GoW, since Spidey sold lot more than GoW on consoles afaik.

Then again I am one of those not buying since I played it already on the Pro. I will probably get Miles though.

Midn1ght

I am a bit surprised it did less than GoW, since Spidey sold lot more than GoW on consoles afaik.

Then again I am one of those not buying since I played it already on the Pro. I will probably get Miles though.
Im also surprised it’s not doing better but to be fair, if there is one thing Sony isn’t doing right on PC right now it’s pricing. 59.99€ for an old game is a big ask, regardless of the quality. 49.99 would have been better but I feel they have the same problem on console with their 79.99€ bullshit. They’re just asking too much, period.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
the discless one is super rare tho as it is apparently almost not produced.
I know a guy that works in a Media Markt, a german electronic retailer, and he said they usually get 1 discless version for every 20 disc versions.
Also the Discless fucks retail so they hate selling it

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

God of war peaked during its first weekend, not release day.

Also, sales aren't dictated by a peak such as that one
Ya probably, am not playing now as I am sure many ppl aren't either, but let's stop pretending the PC audience is the same as the console audience. It's not. It was obvious from the start spiderman was not gonna sell as much,and the game is great.

You'll see, games like returnal if they come to PC, will sell a lot more. I don't think uncharted is gonna sell more either, but 60 to 75k peak is not bad at all for a 4 year old game, that's in the 500k sales for sure and within a month or two it'll be at a million for sure. Am not saying they are bad numbers, but I think people are overhyping the Sony games on PC. I think native PS5 games will sell more but that's just me.

Last edited:

Banned
Also the Discless fucks retail so they hate selling it

I bet Sony also hates selling it, digital sales are suoer high anyway and they lose way more money on the digital one as the only difference in production cost is the missing $10 disc drive lol

Last edited:
After a few hours of finally getting to play this one, there are many things I like and many things I don't like.

Like:
- the combat. Great take on the arkham style combat, simple but has a lot of depth too. Looks cool.
- the traversal. Swinging around the city is indeed great.
- the story and cutscenes. I love that's it not just a superhero story but a full-on Peter Parker life simulator.

Don't like

- the character models for Peter and Mary Jane. Peter just looks weird, and Mary Jane is usually an eight or a nine but they've made her a homely six here. I understand they changed Peter to make him look more like Tom Holland, but he just looks weird. His neck looks weird. He looks like a teenager whose body is aging too fast.
- the city. I know this game is a bit old but open-world games have come a long way and this one feels very dated.
- the graphics. Again, was just expecting more but this game really shows its age.
- the music. Very bland. It reminds me of the Avengers game soundtrack. Even the 60s theme song understood there's something a bit weird and fantastical about a "Spider-Man" and tried to reflect that. And I hate how the minute you start swinging it just comes blaring on with no subtlety. Really annoying.

PC gamers in not giving a shit about console games shock!

This game is four years old and looks it. Sony are going to have to get more up to date with their releases if they want to make more of a splash. And they will.

Last edited:

yamaci17

So we gonna have to wait for the update patch before he does another video?
IGN probably forced his hand to release this now.

Will wait for the latest patch.
i think it is not possible to match ps5's ray tracing equality on PC

"Optimised settings are on the page in an easy-to-digest table, but ultimately, we're looking at a variation of PlayStation 5's performance RT mode. It's not possible to match settings precisely, however, and I do wish that console equivalent presets were available to tweak from. Let's put it this way: the crowd LOD setting in the performance RT mode does not correspond to any of PC's offerings. Clearly, Insomniac made its selections carefully with a view to balancing cost vs fidelity, so why not offer PC users that setting?"

i think this is why alex couldn't draw a comparison as to where ps5 lands in terms of ray tracing performance

as it stands, a 3070 just barely outperforms ps5 at full native 4k with rt set to high/high + 10 object count (per his table, this is what "ps5 fidelity mode" uses)

(i bookmarked the section i've replicated from the benchmark)

a) either these settings are not a proper match
b) PS5 packs above its punch in this first pary title
c) there's something wrong with VRAM allocation/or game is not using the resources properly

after seeing this, i understood why alex didn't draw any "likeness" to RTX GPU line because it would "shame" his idea of PCs being superior. he almost always matches the PS5 with a GPU from RTX family, yet this time he omitted from doing so. this tells me and proves that indeed my findings are similar: either ps5 is packing more punch than it can, or that you can't go as low as PS5

i don't know which is which. i'm still fine with the performance I'm getting, and with DLSS I can get 60 FPS reliably but surely this is a thing that needs to be discussed.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
i think it is not possible to match ps5's ray tracing equality on PC

"Optimised settings are on the page in an easy-to-digest table, but ultimately, we're looking at a variation of PlayStation 5's performance RT mode. It's not possible to match settings precisely, however, and I do wish that console equivalent presets were available to tweak from. Let's put it this way: the crowd LOD setting in the performance RT mode does not correspond to any of PC's offerings. Clearly, Insomniac made its selections carefully with a view to balancing cost vs fidelity, so why not offer PC users that setting?"

i think this is why alex couldn't draw a comparison as to where ps5 lands in terms of ray tracing performance

as it stands, a 3070 just barely outperforms ps5 at full native 4k with rt set to high/high + 10 object count (per his table, this is what "ps5 fidelity mode" uses)

(i bookmarked the section i've replicated from the benchmark)

a) either these settings are not a proper match
b) PS5 packs above its punch in this first pary title
c) there's something wrong with VRAM allocation/or game is not using the resources properly

after seeing this, i understood why alex didn't draw any "likeness" to RTX GPU line because it would "shame" his idea of PCs being superior. he almost always matches the PS5 with a GPU from RTX family, yet this time he omitted from doing so. this tells me and proves that indeed my findings are similar: either ps5 is packing more punch than it can, or that you can't go as low as PS5

i don't know which is which. i'm still fine with the performance I'm getting, and with DLSS I can get 60 FPS reliably but surely this is a thing that needs to be discussed.

There's a massive gulf in difference in maxed out RT on PC versus PS5. Which is where the performance is going. And Alex said that PS5 is running closer to 6 object count than 10 in his video. But those notches give drastic visual enhancements to reflections.

There's a massive gulf in difference in maxed out RT on PC versus PS5. Which is where the performance is going. And Alex said that PS5 is running closer to 6 object count than 10 in his video. But those notches give drastic visual enhancements to reflections.
That’s in performance rt NOT the fidelity mode

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
He is smoking shit.
Good gear costs.
i'm using some office PC lenovo keyboard from 2004 and some random logitech mouse i got from a office depot and i honestly don't see much of a need to upgrade, this is paired with a fairly powerful computer too
what advantages do gamer keyboards and gamer mice have over just regular ol shit

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i'm using some office PC lenovo keyboard from 2004 and some random logitech mouse i got from a office depot and i honestly don't see much of a need to upgrade, this is paired with a fairly powerful computer too
what advantages do gamer keyboards and gamer mice have over just regular ol shit
That’s hypocritical af.
What advantage?
I would say the mouse is obvious. Wireless, more precise, faster, 1000hz and not 125 like your mice and it makes a huge difference even on 60hz. More so on hfr. And you know..: feel, looks etc.

Keyboard is just n key rollover, speed because keys register at half press, sound, feel, looks.
It’s less important than a mouse but I like having a good keyboard. And I personally miss quality quiet rubber dome keyboards but once you try some of these new optical switches , it’s so good. Like razer mini linear red. Not even going into custom yet.

Of course it’s non essential. None of it is.
But cmon now. If dualsense was just some cheap 5usd knock off, imagine how it would ruin the console

Thanati

Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

I love the armchair analysts coming out of the wood every goddamn Sony PC release to guess how it will go.

First days are meaningless on PC. They are not in a shortage of choice to begin with, but also 2 weeks off from end of summer and released at a high price.

Who the fuck knows in 6 months. We had these same discussions for GOW with low concurrent players, etc., It’s Groundhog Day every releases.
Exactly! It’s amazing where these “experts” get their “knowledge” from.

Midn1ght

God of war peaked during its first weekend, not release day.

Also, sales aren't dictated by a peak such as that one
Some people conveniently take the God of War 971k figure and forget it was only 2 and a half month worth of sale.

Some perspective:

Horizon peaked at 56,557 and sold 2,398,000 copies in a year and a half.

God of War peaked at 73,539 and sold 971k in 75 days.

Spiderman is at 64,893 peak and might go slightly higher today.

It’s doing OK, though I still think they priced it too high which will impact the numbers imo. Horizon and God of War launched at 49.99€ while Spiderman is 59.99€ for some reason.

Also, I didn’t conveniently forget Days Gone, that one definitely sold poorly on PC as well as on console (by Sony standards).

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

That's cheap compare to the 4K 65 inch TV and the Dolby Atmos soundbar that console players would have to buy for their PS5.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That’s hypocritical af.
What advantage?
I would say the mouse is obvious. Wireless, more precise, faster, 1000hz and not 125 like your mice and it makes a huge difference even on 60hz. More so on hfr. And you know..: feel, looks etc.

Keyboard is just n key rollover, speed because keys register at half press, sound, feel, looks.
It’s less important than a mouse but I like having a good keyboard. And I personally miss quality quiet rubber dome keyboards but once you try some of these new optical switches , it’s so good. Like razer mini linear red. Not even going into custom yet.

But cmon now. If dualsense was just some cheap 5usd knock off, imagine how it would ruin the console
...Wow, you raise quite a lot of good points. I play rhythm games too so there's a benefit to having better key rollover and speed, and i did forget how important hertz rate for mice are.
you've opened my eyes sir :messenger_beaming:

Guilty_AI

That’s hypocritical af.
What advantage?

whats with this princess shit, real gamers play with these

60839613-dirty-old-computers-keyboard-mouse-for-electronic-recycling.jpg
D_NQ_NP_973072-MLB48223962855_112021-W.jpg

Banned

start a game, at best a First Person Shooter.
turn off mouse acceleration (both in game and in windows)
now start the game on a random map/level
look at an easy to remember spot like a door handle or a lamp post...
ok, now,
take your mouse, and now move it REALLY FAST to the right. try doing that across an easy to repeat distance (like from one edge of the mouse pad to the opposite edge for example)
note how far you turned and how off angle your aim is from a perfect horizontal move to the right.

now reset your view to the easy to remember spot I talked about, and try to exactly repeat what you did before.

on a cheap/non gaming mouse the amount your aim moves to the right and the precision of how horizontally stable that movement is will be drastically worse than on a good gaming mouse. meaning your cursor/aim will end up at a completely different spot

fast movements on a slow polling rate and a low DPI will inevitably lead to inconsistent movements of your cursor/aim
on top of that the processor inside your mouse (yes mice have an image processor inside) might be cheap and might lag while analysing the position chage from one scanned image to the next, leading to missed poll cycles

a decent gaming mouse's precision is monumentally better than a standard office mouse

edit: I tried finding a demonstration of this on YouTube, and came across this video

pretty sure Linus had a video abot this with a special thing thei built... but I couldn't find it... maybe it was a different channel and I'm remembering wrong :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
start a game, at best a First Person Shooter.
turn off mouse acceleration (both in game and in windows)
now start the game on a random map/level
look at an easy to remember spot like a door handle or a lamp post...
ok, now,
take your mouse, and now move it REALLY FAST to the right. try doing that across an easy to repeat distance (like from one edge of the mouse pad to the opposite edge for example)
note how far you turned and how off angle your aim is from a perfect horizontal move to the right.

now reset your view to the easy to remember spot I talked about, and try to exactly repeat what you did before.

on a cheap/non gaming mouse the amount your aim moves to the right and the precision of how horizontally stable that movement is will be drastically worse than on a good gaming mouse. meaning your cursor/aim will end up at a completely different spot

fast movements on a slow polling rate and a low DPI will inevitably lead to inconsistent movements of your cursor/aim
on top of that the processor inside your mouse (yes mice have an image processor inside) might be cheap and might lag while analysing the position chage from one scanned image to the next, leading to missed poll cycles

a decent gaming mouse's precision is monumentally better than a standard office mouse

edit: I tried finding a demonstration of this on YouTube, and came across this video

pretty sure Linus had a video abot this with a special thing thei built... but I couldn't find it... maybe it was a different channel and I'm remembering wrong :pie_thinking:

Wow, That's another amazing explanation for why I need a better mouse. I'd expect no less from the guy who knows a lot about input, though

iHaunter

Wow. PC blows away PS5. The PS5 building literally looks like a flat surface with some blurry boxes textured on it. PC has incredible detail from reflections, window sills, actual windows and even that concrete pattern behind his foot that goes vertical.
My GPU costs more than 4 PS5 digitals.

Banned
damn, here's the game running at dynamic 1080p 30fps medium (+Insomniac's upsampling if it falls below 1080p) on an Nvidia GTX760 (2gb)
2013 lower mid-range hardware still able to play new games... that card also was only 250 bucks when it launched!

I didn't expect a 2GB card would be able to play this game without major issues tbh

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even if it’s that it’s still pumping out more frames Then a 3080.
for sure.
24gb vram is the better advantage. That card will safely last whole generation because of that.
My 3080 already crashes in RE2 rtx version if I change the settings back and forth too much.

Thanati

Just played it on my Steam Deck today and yes, I was very impressed! It’s looks beautiful and runs smoothly.

Amazing title.

Note: I’d never played the PS4/5 version.

Captn

On my 5950x/3090/64gb ram

At 4k uses ~15gb of system ram and ~11 Gb of vram

Gpu usage is 99% / Temps are ~65 at ~1900mhz (undervolt)

CPU usage ~40% / Temps ~65 celcius

Ranging from ~60 to ~85 fps

Using DLSS 2.4.6 version

Maxed out minus chromatic.. Motion blur and vignette which are turned off.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Great to see Nixxes put so much effort into this. While it might be older for PS gamers it's still new on PC.

Game is a stunner with good performance, Miles M is amazing also.

Top Bottom