• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man series at more than 33 million units sold as of May 2022

Kiraly

Let me tell you, there are a lot of folks to thank for your passionate support! With that in mind, I’m both ecstatic and humbled to share that the Marvel’s Spider-Man series now has sold through more than 33 million copies globally, as of May 15, 2022.

This is for both the original and Miles Morales.

Oh My God Reaction GIF by 9Now

Very impressive.

lefty1117

Gold Member
These games are the only reason I even turn on my PS5 right now. And I see they're coming to PC. Might even double dip not sure. The games are a joy to play

Miles Morales will probably sell pretty close to the original when all is said and done. It's pretty consistently in the top 20 every month and is probably the biggest must-buy for PS5 right now.

More impressive given that it is still selling for 50 bucks right now and probably didn't cost much for Insomniac to make.

Spider-Man 2 probably helps sell more copies of Miles Morales too. If Spider-Man 2 is PS5 only, maybe you push it out to 2024 with how well Miles Morales is selling still.

They'll probably sell just as many if not more units on PC for the remaster as well as Miles Morales when it ultimately goes to PC as well.

Not sure what the split is with Marvel but we're talking about upwards of 1.65 billion dollars already, and potentially doubling that on PC. Obviously discounting for price discounts and royalties to retailers and steam, but that one franchise in pretty short order really helps pay for a Bungie like acquisition.

Vaelka

no surprise. its Spider-Man.

The popularity of Spiderman is honestly a little strange to me.
I didn't realize he was such a popular character it almost feels at times he's on the level of Batman and Superman perhaps even more.

For a video game tho it makes sense, the whole swinging around a city gimmick I think is very appealing to people.

Last edited:
I didn't realize he was such a popular character it almost feels at times he's on the level of Batman and Superman perhaps even more.

For a video game tho it makes sense, the whole swinging around a city gimmick I think is very appealing to people.

I think its more because its such a good game too. The Activision spider-man games didn't sell that well.

EDMIX

no surprise. its Spider-Man.

nah I disagree, its Insomniac + Sony + Spiderman.

As...why didn't the other Spiderman games do this? Quality matters and slapping the name of a huge IP on a game doesn't mean it will do well. We've seen bigger IP turn to games that flopped, bombed etc.

A lot of it has to do with that he is very relatable compared to most heros. He isn't a billionaire, he is not a alien from another planet, he is just a regular student that got bit by a radioactive spider giving him powers, but he still has problems any college student would have. Family, jobs, girls etc. A lof of that imho is what sets him so far apart, many like how he is written and gravitate towards him.

Miles Morales will probably sell pretty close to the original when all is said and done. It's pretty consistently in the top 20 every month

I'm shocked about that one lol I really thought it would sell under as some side game or something, but that game is moving just as much units. Insomniac + Sony is going to be out here breaking all sorts of fucking records with Spiderman 2 and Wolverine lol

I'm happy this game is moving gangbusters and I hope that publishers take note.

Putting a fucking IP that is popular in game IS NOT FUCKING ENOUGH. The game MUST BE GOOD, it must be by developers that can...get this, MAKE GAMES lol We've seen so many fucking Transformer type, Fast And Furious type games its not even funny and seeing them flop got lots of us just believing those IP can't work as games, when lazy, bad development might have more to do with those poor sales. Look at all the hype behind that Harry Potter RPG coming out, its not solely just cause its in that universe, its about WHO is making it too and we believe it will be a quality game. If those things don't align, of course those games would flop and continue to do so. Maybe the likes of EA, Activision etc will take those licenses more seriously seeing this.

ZywyPL

Banned

Due to MCU movies I'd say he's way more popular nowadays than Batman or Superman, or both combined even.

Gandih42

Impressive numbers for some great games. Looking forward to playing the remaster and Miles on PS5 when a good deal comes along.

They will get a lot more sales on PC. Good stuff. Sony finally sees the light. We PC gamers are a patient bunch and I'm sure many of us have been waiting for this. It was only ever a matter of time.
Makes me wonder why Sony isn't putting Denuvo on their games given that they are single player only and easy targets for piracy.

Apparently God of War was cracked day one.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Makes me wonder why Sony isn't putting Denuvo on their games given that they are single player only and easy targets for piracy.
They've proven they don't need to. GOW and HZD both sold really well, right? And Denuvo isn't that great at preventing piracy. No need to piss off customers.

They've proven they don't need to. GOW and HZD both sold really well, right? And Denuvo isn't that great at preventing piracy. No need to piss off customers.
How is it not great at preventing piracy? Go look at a list of uncraked games out there, they are all either Denuvo or they require online and some have managed to go uncracked for years. PC biggest markets are also markets where piracy is rampant and it's not a coincidence that games with online component do so much better on PC.

Piracy is completely under control on consoles (and with the rise of digital the used games market is becoming irrelevant). Now Sony is putting their AAA single player games in a platform where piracy is widespread without even bothering with protecting their games and that will inevitably lead to them leaning even more on GaaS, as those games will be the ones that really break thought in the PC space. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

The irony is that Denuvo originated from Sony. Good DRM is the best thing for the health of the PC market and the viability of single player games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How is it not great at preventing piracy? Go look at a list of uncraked games out there, they are all either Denuvo or they require online and some have managed to go uncracked for years. PC biggest markets are also markets where piracy is rampant.

The irony is that Denuvo comes from Sony.

Denovo is only a temporary measure at best. Denuvo execs have said as much.

Last edited:
Piracy isn't a big deal. Most pirates wouldn't've bought the game anyway.
Most big publishers on PC disagree as they keep investing on DRM. What is a fact is how DRM has no negative impact on sales (not even online only has that effect, as shown by how Blizzard does it).

A big part of GaaS taking over PC is piracy and now this will influence the direction PlayStation will move towards. Sad.

The idea that people pirating wouldn't buy the game is bullshit, given that even games that require expensive hardware to run are still pirated just as much. Sony is handling their releases on PC pretty poorly in that regard and it will likely have a negative impact on their willingness to invest in single player games in the long run.

Denovo is only a temporary measure at best. Denuvo execs have said as much.
Piracy is a temporary problem, as the bulk of the money, specially in the case of single player games, is made close to release. Denuvo will usually delay piracy for many months and can be removed once it is beat by crackers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom