• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASH: TV Show or Movie

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Which version of MASH do you prefer?

Cop out answer, but I like both a lot. It's weird because they're similar but super different at the same time. The TV show producers, especially early on definitely used the movie as a model though it shifted as time went on. I like the movie's dark humor and brashness. But I also think that the TV show has some excellent TV shows.

As for the characters:

Hawkeye: Donald Sutherland vs Alan Alada? I can take both. Donald Sutherland's quiet grimness vs Alan Alada's over the topness are both fun.

Trapper: Elliott Gould all day, every day. He has the best line in the movie. "Her. Bring me that sultry bitch with the fire in eyes. Take her clothes off"

Blake: Roger Bowen > McLean Stevenson. This is a hot take, but I loved Roger Bowen During initial viewings, he comes across as incompetent and obvious. But he's actually using that as a mask to shrug responsibility. He's actually shrewd. McLean is good too, and has some great moments. "God damnit Hot Lips. Resign your GOD DAMNED COMMISSION." Freaking great.

Hoolihan: Loretta Swit > Sally Kellerman. Sally didn't really have too much to work with. Loretta gets some great content.

Burns: Larry Linville > Robert Duvalle. This one hurts to say. But Robert Duvalle just gets to be an angry hypocrite zealous asshole. Larry Linville is far more fun for them to dunk.

Movie Radar > TV Radar. TV Radar starts off fine. But they kind of ruin the character as time goes on. He goes from being a kind of weasal. The true boss of the operation, to being a naive child.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I remember the series a lot more so that would be my vote, i saw the film years ago but only once, nothing wrong with it, but i knew the TV cast far better.

dem

Embarrassed to say I've never watched the movie. I should watch it this weekend. Probably be weird after watching the show for so long.

Love the show, though.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Embarrassed to say I've never watched the movie. I should watch it this weekend. Probably be weird after watching the show for so long.

Love the show, though.
Let me know what you think. Try to keep an open mind. The characters and humor are a lot darker (but still hilarious). The show is definitely a different take on the characters and situations.

Kev Kev

I grew up watching the TV show and didn't know there was a movie until I was 15 or so. So I gotta go with TV show. And to be fair, it was a damn good show. I can still watch it today and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I love them both as well! The movie has so many good funny moments, but the show, although funny, had a lot more heart to it. I agree with pretty much all of your character listing, and love Forrest when he says, “Fairs fair, if I nail Hot Lips and punch Hawkeye, do I get to go home too?”
The problem with Radar was the timing of the show. They couldn’t age him due to the fact that the Korean War only lasted 3 years, far less time than the run of the show. That, and, Gary Burghoff was done. He was phoning it in during his last season and a half and often times his lines were given to Jamie Farr since he didn’t show up.
Still, both are good, but here comes the big question: the earlier seasons with Trapper, Burns, and Blake or the later seasons with Honeycutt, Winchester, and Potter?

NecrosaroIII

Still, both are good, but here comes the big question: the earlier seasons with Trapper, Burns, and Blake or the later seasons with Honeycutt, Winchester, and Potter?

Both for different reasons. It's hard to compare. If a gun was pressed to my head, I'd say the earlier seasons have a rawer feel that I like, but both are great.

Top Bottom