• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Director Mac Walters Wanted to Make a Sequel

ReBurn

Gold Member
...of bad science fiction. "Hard sci-fi" is a thing.
I mean, the whole "fiction" in the name is the tell. Hard or not it still requires you believe something that doesn't exist. Just because the systems seem logical doesn't mean they are possible.

nowhat

I mean, the whole "fiction" in the name is the tell. Hard or not it still requires you believe something that doesn't exist. Just because the systems seem logical doesn't mean they are possible.
"The Gods Themselves", by Isaac Asimov. A fantastic novel. And the premise, while fictional, is based on really hard, actual, science.

(Also while Asimov didn't care for sci-fi tropes at the time, namely aliens and sex, the book features both. Don't get your dick out for that though, alien sex may not be what you assume.)

ReBurn

Gold Member
They at least tried to explain it in the original trilogy. It's easy enough to suspend disbelief when the rules of the universe have been established.

But there's just no reason for them to be able to understand one another nor for them to be completely nonplussed by that ability.

I thought it was cool when they showed the first alien group and there's no ability to understand one another.
That's a concept that's been generally addressed many times over in science fiction and, at least according to my playthroughs, wasn't really well-addressed in the original Mass Effect games. But from the lore we understand that the bog-standard omni-tools that literally everyone has provide some sort of translation capability among the species just like a Star Trek universal translator that does pretty much exactly the same thing for the same reason. It's why Kirk or Picard can normally understand new species on first contact. And because they only have less than an hour to tell the story.

In Mass Effect Andromeda it actually was explicitly addressed. Ryder couldn't understand the Andromeda languages at first but as Ryder's SAM, one of the most advanced AI's humans ever created, was exposed to more of their language (and remnant glyphs) it learned to translate Andromeda languages so that Ryder and the Milky Way species could understand. It's a pattern throughout the game where Ryder has to encounter multiple instances of a thing so SAM can extrapolate an answer to solve a puzzle. It seems like SAM learns the Andromeda languages really fast, but that's because the overall pacing of the story is pretty terrible. The dialog hints that the team has been making worlds habitable and fighting Kett for many months even though you can get enough viability to establish all of the outposts in like 12 hours.

Varteras

Gold Member
200w.gif

It was in development hell because of the bad choices EA pushed. It also didn't help it was just a poor story and cast.

No mac you can't
90S 80S GIF by xponentialdesign

Last edited:
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Really enjoyed Andromeda and want more tbh. People had to ruin it for the rest of us with their negativity sadly.

The combat wasn't void of all redeeming qualities, but let's not go crazy here.

ME3 was peak ME combat, bar none. I still have extremely fond memories of the online MP co-op mode. That was fun times.

ME: Andromeda was a shit-show. The story and RPG game design was a huge step backwards in so many ways, and that's saying a LOT following the clusterfuck that was the ME3 ending.

How do you go from one of the best gaming trilogies of all time---with one of the shittiest ever endings---to the single worst entry in the ME series, the single worst Bioware game without question, and one of the worst AAA WRPG games of all time?

I'll tell you how.... you do what Bioware did and give your beloved WRPG franchise to the newly formed, inexperienced B-team, while your A-team hemorrhages talent trying to make Anthem; which they eventually screw up anyway.

StereoVsn

Unlike Mass Effect 1, ME Andromeda was a terrible game. And hell, I liked ME1 more vs ME2. The latter was too streamlined. A great game but it wasn't what I wanted which is expanded ME1.

Top Bottom