• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 40K nerd Henry Cavill producing and starring in potential Warhammer 40,000 series on Amazon

ManaByte

The actor, who Wednesday officially hung up his Man of Steel cape after Warner Bros. announced it is going in a new Superman direction thanks to DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran, is attached to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame that is set up at Amazon.

Amazon is in final talks for the rights to the game, produced by Games Workshop, after months of negotiations and fending off rival companies that also sought the rights.

badblue

GIF by Hyper RPG

jason10mm

Gold Member
My nerd boner cant handle so many erections and deflations in the span of a week!

At this rate he is gonna be Tanis in a Dragonlance show, play Ramirez in the Highlander reboot, announce and then be let go from the Jack Burton BTiLC film only to switch to Snake Pliskin, get fired from that to team up with The Rock in a Tango and Cash remake.

I hope they lean into the material and don't neuter it.
Honestly something comedic like the Ciaphas Cain stories are probably the only thing they could really nail without having to shy away from how fucked up the setting is. I mean, they're not going to do the Night Lords or anything.

Also something fairly human-centric would cut down on costs. That leaves Guard or Inquisition, and I doubt they're going to spend millions on a show about the Emperor's pet psychopaths for the same reason as the aforementioned Night Lords.

Whatever happened to the Eisenhorn series or maybe this is it?

For those who don't know, a series based on Eisenhorn from Warhammer 40K was supposed to be in the works.

Tams

Gold Member
He is an actual Warhammer 40K nerd so good to see that he is an executive producer but I have little hope for this as it will be produced by Amazon.
Amazon can produce good stuff. It's really down to the writers and directors they choose or purchase the package for.

The Boys is fantastic. Good Omens was damn good. The Peripheral has been pretty good. Jack Ryan, Reacher, and The Terminal List were all good fun (dumb action). The Man in the High Castle was fantastic for two seasons, good for a third, and only shit for the last one. The Expanse was great for a good while.

Only really RoP and WoT have been shit.

So there is a chance it'll be good.

That said, as already pointed out, 40k's world and lore is really fucked up. I'm not sure how popular it'd be with a general audience.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Amazon can produce good stuff. It's really down to the writers and directors they choose or purchase the package for.

The Boys is fantastic. Good Omens was damn good. The Peripheral has been pretty good. Jack Ryan, Reacher, and The Terminal List were all good fun (dumb action). The Man in the High Castle was fantastic for two seasons, good for a third, and only shit for the last one. The Expanse was great for a good while.

Only really RoP and WoT have been shit.

So there is a chance it'll be good.

That said, as already pointed out, 40k's world and lore is really fucked up. I'm not sure how popular it'd be with a general audience.
Add Invincible to the list as well, an animated show but still fantastic.

Ultimately, if the right people are in the right place, you can have amazing stuff happen.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Hope they nail it... Will make losing him as Geralt and Supes worth it.
Do you really think W40K universe is fit for the current media landscape? Oh man, just wait till journalists that know nothing about the universe start looking closely at it. Expect a lot of articles like this:

Can I correct something about The Expanse? It is a SyFy show. Amazon messed up the last 2 seasons.

And The Peripheral is crap.

FunkMiller

Don't worry, they will neuter it. It'll also have a complete checklist of the usual "modern audience" current year BS that infects all modern entertainment.

Keep in mind Henry Cavill is only an executive producer. And he's going to have to abide by certain rules.

Nope. As above, GW will want and get full creative control.

anthony2690

Banned
This will probably be the biggest thing to happen to Warhammer.

They have loads of shovelware games and then sometimes you get a great game or so.

Can't wait for Darktide on series X.
Games Workshop are notoriously protective of the IP. If this gets made, it’ll get made well.

They had me fooled with all the shovelware I've seen 👀

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Games Workshop are notoriously protective of the IP. If this gets made, it’ll get made well.
Considering how for years GW sold the license to whatever crap shovelware got made - nah. It’s a relic of a company desperately clinging to their miniature sales.

Tams

Gold Member
Can I correct something about The Expanse? It is a SyFy show. Amazon messed up the last 2 seasons.

And The Peripheral is crap.

If you're going to be like that, at least get your facts straight. It was a SyFy show, and they abandoned it mid-run. At the end of season 3.

Subjectively: season 5 was the only real dud, which did impact season 6 (Cas Anvar could have helped by not being a creep in real life).

And I specifically said that Amazon buy in shows as well.

As for The Peripheral, I said 'pretty good', which is actually really rather faint praise from a Brit. But it isn't terrible, which was my point.

FunkMiller

Video games are a very different thing from movies and TV lads. None of them have been high profile. A tv series will be. Henry himself has commented in the past about how protective GW are when it comes to live action adaptations.

And as Tams pointed out, Amazon have actually made far more great TV series than bad ones.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Crazy what the AI can do these days...
94wJ0Tu.jpg

8LYKkcL.jpg

What's with the piddly little Space Marine armour? Or is that meant to be Astra Militarum?

I hope he doesn't want to play a Space Marine, as they are pretty fucking dull as characters. Not really much of an arc in one of them. Much better he plays a human character, with more flaws and weaknesses. Ten hours of Ultramarine Henry chainswording tyranids will get boring pretty quick.

Last edited:
If you're going to be like that, at least get your facts straight. It was a SyFy show, and they abandoned it mid-run. At the end of season 3.

Subjectively: season 5 was the only real dud, which did impact season 6 (Cas Anvar could have helped by not being a creep in real life).

And I specifically said that Amazon buy in shows as well.

As for The Peripheral, I said 'pretty good', which is actually really rather faint praise from a Brit. But it isn't terrible, which was my point.
Season 6 of The Expanse was bad as well. Especially with that whole thread of that family with the kids and the cliffhanger. My point was that the show was established by SyFy and not Amazon. Amazon would likely not have accepted a white male in the lead.

RAÏSanÏa

I picked up Soulstorm when getting back into gaming. So much drama in it.

Incinerate! Incinerate.

So I expect and will appreciate any moments like this

The game world was rich enough to say it contributed getting me into buying the earlier games in that series. Didn't go beyond that for me, but it could make a good tv series.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
For the life of me I can't see this being successful unless they completely throw out the design language of Warhammer. Its a very... ugly looking thing. Its universe is like the worst of all nerd culture forced into a blender and mixed together. I can't see it being mainstream compatible unless a designer comes in and rebuilds the look and feel of its core design elements.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Season 6 of The Expanse was bad as well. Especially with that whole thread of that family with the kids and the cliffhanger. My point was that the show was established by SyFy and not Amazon. Amazon would likely not have accepted a white male in the lead.
Objectively NOT TRUE. Reacher has a white male lead. Terminal List has a white male lead. Jack Ryan, white male lead. Good Omens, two white male leads. Bezos was a personal fan of The Expanse and I doubt he would have done anything differently. That show lent itself organically to a muticultural cast straight from the source IP. If there was any flaw in that show, its that they allowed sub 6' folks to be Belters, da beltalowda deserved better than that sabakawala kaka!

Video games are a very different thing from movies and TV lads. None of them have been high profile. A tv series will be. Henry himself has commented in the past about how protective GW are when it comes to live action adaptations.

And as Tams pointed out, Amazon have actually made far more great TV series than bad ones.

True enough, games are very different from movie/TV medium. I like Henry, and his genuine nerd enthusiasm for 40k warms my cranky heart. I remain cautiously optimistic.

kondorBonk

There is probably no franchise that interests me as much as Warhammer 40k from just the bare minimum. The bleak world concept where war is so cold and vast that soldiers are considered meat that can be manipulated for such tiny or no gain. The horror like mechanisms and of war machines built from nearly doomed races. I would have a blast staring at these things in the comic store as a kid and it always fascinated me.

As an adult, I've tried to dive into the lore of the world with youtube deep dives and every time, it's just too much. The concept art alone sells me, I simply cannot commit to the hobby. I'm excited to see this world be adapted to something more mainstream and digestible.

Top Bottom