• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 40K nerd Henry Cavill producing and starring in potential Warhammer 40,000 series on Amazon

Liljagare

capybara GIF by Puppy Bowl

Okay
space-marine-warhammer40k.gif

Atrus

Gold Member
The tried and true should work. Imperial agents investigate world, uncovers gene stealer conspiracy, throw in some aliens like action, and then kill the Patriarch.

Depending on the budget they can vary that narrative as they please.

Here is a couple more good Amazon exclusive shows, Critical role / Lower Decks / The Peripheral / The Expanse / Fleabag / Undone
Both the Expanse and Fleabag are originally not produced by Amazon.

Undone - 6 / 10. Didn’t watch the 2nd season.
The Peripheral - dropped after the 1st episode.

It’s crazy what people call good these days.

Ballthyrm

Both the Expanse and Fleabag are originally not produced by Amazon.

Undone - 6 / 10. Didn’t watch the 2nd season.
The Peripheral - dropped after the 1st episode.

It’s crazy what people call good these days.

Fleabag was a co-production with BBC and we got a couple of seasons more out of the Expanse from Amazon so I count that as a Win.
As for "good", yeah these two aren't as good as the others but they aren't pile of trash and then I guess it's how you use the terms.

So let me clear that up for you, watchable > 4/10, decent > 5/10, good > 6/10, very good > 8/10, great > 9/10, best > 10/10.

FunkMiller

I should watch that. If the cgi looks like the Darktide or Space Marine II intros I'll be very impressed. Those intros looked pretty badass, I wouldn't mind the whole show that way. But I imagine that would take a whole lotta time and a whole lotta money.

Please do watch all of it, because it's fucking amazing, but just this bit shows you what they should be like:

Is there a good, dedicated, 40k forum somewhere?
Reddit has r/40klore

It's lore-based so you can really delve deep into it without worrying about people talking about the rules or miniatures.

Plus, they seem pretty mature for the most part. They won't go just downvoting you for whatever reason.

Last edited:

JayK47

I will miss him as Superman and Geralt. So well done. Hopefully this is good. I'm no fan of Warhammer, but I would watch this because he is in it.

I was thinking of some actors they could use and I think Karl Urban would fit in well. He's got the accent and he's pretty roguish.

Now, since they're obviously going to require diversity, I would say at least get Idris Elba. Again, he has the accent and he's a big guy and he's a pretty good actor.

AJUMP23

I was thinking of some actors they could use and I think Karl Urban would fit in well. He's got the accent and he's pretty roguish.

Now, since they're obviously going to require diversity, I would say at least get Idris Elba. Again, he has the accent and he's a big guy and he's a pretty good actor.
They could probably cast all of Australia and get most of the things they were looking for in a 40k show. Everything will kill you, everything is gruff.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
World is shit, humans are space fascists, everybody else is either xenophobic (Eldars), totalitarian (Tau), batshit insane (chaos). Tyrannids with their never-ending drive to evolve the species look like the most reasonable ones if only their way didn’t involve killing everyone else.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The 40k Lore reddit is what I would suggest.

They are very kind and are usually ready to answer all questions as long as you are respectful and detailed in your posts.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
With the way GW is nowadays and Amazon's track record regarding these kinds of things. I don't have much in the way of hope.
Sadly, I do not have high hopes for this even though Henry Cavill is helming it.
Depends on the contract, but if he's producing it, it means he actually has a say on script, direction, etc. So hopefully he takes his shirt off a lot in this and more.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Another franchise down the drain, being abused by talent-less Amazon hacks. Can't wait for the God Empress to subvert our expectations. :'(

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Another franchise down the drain, being abused by talent-less Amazon hacks. Can't wait for the God Empress to subvert our expectations. :'(
That is not happening. With LOTR they had to make up their own story, but with 40K there is an established storyline and well over 50 books to pull inspiration from. One of the best parts of this project to me is that diversity is actually built into the Imperium given their size and scope so there will be ZERO legitimate "concerns" over casting based on the actual lore. There are space marines of every color, inquisitors of every color, planetary governors, High Lords, and Chapter Masters. The whole of the Imperium is a galactic melting pot of humanity. People complaining about minority castings will immediately be exposed.

For once we can have an IP where people bitching and moaning about castings have not a single leg to stand on. All the criticism can fall on the product itself and not the ridiculous perceived "politics" of the the thing.

Last edited:

Pejo

I wish he'd have done this with the Witcher instead and prevented that abomination of a script. I am completely unfamiliar with the Warhammer universe, but maybe I'll check it out if this series is good. It's Amazon backed, so there's only a slim chance, but I like Cavill so I hope it's good.

FunkMiller

Depends on the contract, but if he's producing it, it means he actually has a say on script, direction, etc. So hopefully he takes his shirt off a lot in this and more.

It’s nice that Henry is heavily involved, but it’s not him that will ensure the adaptation will be accurate. Andy Smillie and Max Bottrill from GW are exec producing, and they are the ones who will make sure it’s close to the source. Especially Bottrill, who’s famously protective as the IP global manager.

Also, this show should mainly be headed by people from Amazon Studios UK, not the latte drinking idiots in Hollywood.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

Yeah, if you don’t know anything about 40K or how it’s run, I’d stay quiet if I were you.
You sound like the guys telling people that the Tolkien estate is very protective of the IP ... and now look what Amazon did to that.
You really think Amazon is going to sink hundreds of million and make this a version that is made for the hand full of die hard 40K fans?
GW is going to make more money from Amazon than they ever did from selling miniatures, games or books... they won't protect shit.

I would like to have your optimism.

FunkMiller

You sound like the guys telling people that the Tolkien estate is very protective of the IP ... and now look what Amazon did to that.
You really think Amazon is going to sink hundreds of million and make this a version that is made for the hand full of die hard 40K fans?
GW is going to make more money from Amazon than they ever did from selling miniatures, games or books... they won't protect shit.

I would like to have your optimism.

Nobody said that about the Tolkien Estate. Everybody knew Simon Tolkien didn’t give a shit.

And why do you think it took over a year for this contract to be finalised? Do you think they all sat around chatting about the weather?

Handful of diehard fans? Games Workshop is floated on the stock market, with a half billion pound revenue annually.

Maybe go away and learn a bit about the company, before just jumping into a thread to have a moan about woke Amazon.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

Nobody said that about the Tolkien Estate. Everybody knew Simon Tolkien didn’t give a shit.

And why do you think it took over a year for this contract to be finalised? Do you think they all sat around chatting about the weather?

Handful of diehard fans? Games Workshop is floated on the stock market, with a half billion pound revenue annually.
It took years for the LotR negotiations too. That's not a guarantee that anything worthwhile is going to happen.
GW made 500mill revenue USD, that's as much as Amazon payed for a part of LotR rights. Amazon is going to be the ones calling shots, they payed for it.

FunkMiller

It took years for the LotR negotiations too. That's not a guarantee that anything worthwhile is going to happen.
GW made 500mill revenue USD, that's as much as Amazon payed for a part of LotR rights. Amazon is going to be the ones calling shots, they payed for it.

Dude, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Amazon made Reacher, right? They have the capacity to let this be good and hard and mean. And an uberchad is involved in both series'. Let's go in hoping :)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Amazon made Reacher, right? They have the capacity to let this be good and hard and mean. And an uberchad is involved in both series'. Let's go in hoping :)

Many of the pitfalls that amazon try and force into their shows like the recent LoTR, will be off the table because of how Games Workshop stamp it out in their contract.

The universe is bigoted and intolerant, mostly towards aliens but also inwardly too. This means you can't have unnatural forced diversity, you have to really work for it with complex characters, difference is something to be treated with caution and suspicion and for some it will always be there no matter how much they prove otherwise. The flipside is that humans are quite justified in this so its morally grey. The universe of 40k is a pretty horrible place to be, and when some random neighbours kid could turn out to be a hidden unsanctioned psyker, get possessed by a daemon and murder and rape your entire family on a whim, its hard to be accepting of difference.

It's a shame Cavil wants to be a Primach, the more human characters are always more interesting I find, and how they interact what most consider demi-gods. Its why Guants Ghosts & Ciaphas Cain are my favorite book series.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

You guys are delusional if you think you are getting the grim dark, toxic, bigoted and intolerant 40k universe from a streaming provider at this day and age. LotR (Amazon), Dark Tower, the Witcher, Wheel of Time and many more couldn't escape cultural sanitization, Warhammer won't either.

KrakenIPA

You guys are delusional if you think you are getting the grim dark, toxic, bigoted and intolerant 40k universe from a streaming provider at this day and age. LotR (Amazon), Dark Tower, the Witcher, Wheel of Time and many more couldn't escape cultural sanitization, Warhammer won't either.
If I am delusional, and you are wrong, and we see such a universe, then you owe me a cigar.

Top Bottom