• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master Chief never made the Smash Ultimate roster. Why?

Bragr

Banned
Have you seen the games that have been on Switch? That argument doesn't seem to hold the same weight it used to. I'd argue Switch has more non-family-friendly games than PlayStation or Xbox.
That doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't love family-friendly characters, that's just the games they host on their store. They clearly have a focus on family-friendly titles within their studios.

That doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't love family-friendly characters, that's just the games they host on their store. They clearly have a focus on family-friendly titles within their studios.
Is Master Chief really less family-friendly than Snake, Bayonetta, Simon Belmont or Joker from M-rated Persona 5?

Lupin25

Banjo was a Nintendo character.

Master Chief doesn’t make much sense to me being a direct competitor’s present-day mascot.

Plus, I doubt most would think he’d be relevant in that space, especially since it’s a fighting a game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think they should put any Sony mascot, instead of Halo chief, it makes more sense.

Bragr

Banned
Is Master Chief really less family-friendly than Snake, Bayonetta, Simon Belmont or Joker from M-rated Persona 5?
That's not the point, the point is they value family-friendly notions, so people like Sora will have a leg up, it doesnt mean they wont use other characters, it means they prefer cool quirky characters that arent too violent. They could get tons of characters from huge franchise easily. Sora is not easy to get, yet they go out of their way to get those sort of characters rathet than Gordon Freeman, Tracer, Kratos, Master Chief or whatever. Smash would be weird and different, if it was filled with hyper violent characters like master chief, lara croft or doomguy.

And all those characters are Japanese classics, American shooter games will always be secondary to those.

FStubbs

If Halo had ever shown up on Nintendo hardware (it almost came to DS), Master Chief might have ended up in Smash.

MagnesD3

He probably did poor on the ballot because he wasn't seen as a possibility. That was way before xbox and nintendo got chummy

Last edited:

RCU005

The weird thing is that there weren't any PlayStation characters.

Objectively, while Banjo Kazoo and Minecraft are both owned by Microsoft, the former is whole-heartedly reminded as an N64 game, and the latter is thought as an independent game, like people don't relate any of them with Microsoft.

Also, I know some franchise are much more Playstation based, like MGS, FFVII, etc. I wish they would have put one Microsoft first party character like Master Chief and one PS first party character like Sackboy or Ratchet and Clank.

After all, it's still a Nintendo game and I understand why it didn't happen. Microsoft was lucky that he owned two beloved characters, but like I said, they are not really remembered as Xbox characters at all.

On a side note (off-topic but related):
There is no way there's going to be a Smas Bros for many years to come, if ever. However, Mario Kart could start a new "biggest collaboration". Nintendo opened Pandora's box when adding Link, villager, etc to Mario Kart 8, because now, there is no going back! The new Mario Kart needs to include tracks and characters from other franchises, and of course it will have to bring third party characters at some point.

I can't see a new Mario Kart going back to the same old ways after 8. it would be a shame. And Nintendo themselves awakened the collaboration beast, so they need to do it!

He was too busy roasting craig. Being a Master chef and all.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a new comedy central show about "The roast of Craig"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So.....Sakurai finally done with Smash for good this time.
clap.gif

He earned loooong rest but......after that he will get his ass down there and make me a god damn Kid Icarus Uprising 2, and after that he can retire.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But Doom Guy Mii fighter is allowed?

DOOM Guy doesn't promote Xbox. If anything, it promotes PC. DOOM has been ported to every possible platform and every game available in the franchise can be played on Switch.

Just because a company buys another doesn't mean that they suddenly represent everything about that company. If Sony bought out Square Enix, doesn't mean Sora now suddenly represents Playstation.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Persona 5 isn't on Switch. Later, we got Strikers. There's characters like Sonic, Solid Snake, Pac-Man, etc.

I'm hardly the first person to bring the idea up. It's been talked about for years. Phil Spencer has talked personally about wanting Master Chief in Smash Bros.
Joker is on Switch via Strikers, as you said. Solid Snake was on the Gamecube with Twin Snakes and the Wii with Smash Brawl, while Naked Snake was on the 3DS with Snake Eater. Sonic has been on Nintendo consoles dozens of times and so has Pac-Man.
Again, when has Master Chief been on a Nintendo console?

Persona 5 isn't on Switch. Later, we got Strikers. There's characters like Sonic, Solid Snake, Pac-Man, etc.

I'm hardly the first person to bring the idea up. It's been talked about for years. Phil Spencer has talked personally about wanting Master Chief in Smash Bros.
Except you’re wrong buddy ol’ pal. Joker was the main character on a 3DS Spinoff called Persona Q2 which was in November of 18’ which was a month BEFORE the announcement of Joker in December of ‘18. End thread

boomcrab

I think most of us will agree Halo isnt what it used to be. In addition to that we all saw how Halo Infinite was received when they debuted it last year and while much of that has turned around for the better, the game has yet to be released. I can see Nintendos' apprehension when you take a step back and really think about how sensitive gamers (and the internet as a whole) can be. Imagine Infinite releasing with moderate critical reception. Kind of makes Master Chief as the last addition to the smash roster underwhelming. Besides, we all know that Waluigi is the only correct choice here, fuck Sora

april6e

Microsoft already got a rep. They just decided to go with the one that actually makes sense and not the emotionless boring murder machine. And anyone who actually wanted Doom Guy in an E rated game needs to check themselves.

Last edited:

Neff

Strikers was in development when Joker was announced, so it was allowed. All the other characters you mention have been on Nintendo platforms prior to their Smash inclusion many times.

But Doom Guy Mii fighter is allowed?
Nevermind Doomguy, how about Sonic? Cloud Strife too, what with the entire FF7 fiasco. Crash used to be a Playstation mascot.

Honestly, if this:
There almost was the faintest of faint traces...

came to pass, I'm almost certain that we'd have seen, at the very least, Master Chief's Mii costume alongside Doomguy's. Brands and platforms don't really matter, Smash is 'above' such things. There is only one hard requirement, but beyond that all it takes is for a character to be popular and interesting.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
The weird thing is that there weren't any PlayStation characters.

Technically, Kazuya from Tekken started on the Playstation platforms. The character appearance isn't if they started on a Nintendo platform but when they appeared on one of the platforms. It's Nintendo's way of implementing the "crossover factor" with characters from recognizable franchises.

Terry Bogard is the mascot of SNK hardware. However, he appears in a couple of SNES ported titles. Samurai Showdown characters could've made the move as well.

Square might've started on Nintendo hardware but, there's no denying they helped shape Playstation into the juggernaut they are today.

Minecraft is an expensive pillar for Microsoft. Most younger players will purchase the game on whatever platform they own.

Also, lots of third-party representation from other developers helped shape Nintendo history -- Konami, Capcom (Platinum), Rare, Namco, and Tecmo.

Spaceman292

Banned
There has been a few characters speculated to be joining Smash Ultimate for a while. Sora was a big one, for sure, and he was announced today as the final character. Another was Goku, but that made sense to me because, despite Dragon Ball games, he is most known as being a character from outside of gaming, which breaks the spirit of Smash.

The other has been Master Chief. We've already seen characters from Microsoft first-party studios make the roster - Steve from Minecraft and Banjo. Joker was added when, at the time, was only from a PlayStation exclusive game (we've since gotten the spin-off Persona 5 game on Switch).

So who do you think is responsible for Master Chief not being selected? Clearly not the fans, as they've clamored for him. If you believe Phil Spencer (which I do), Microsoft was more than willing to allow the character be in the game.

So, that would leave only Nintendo. Why do you think they'd block him, but not Steve or Banjo? Do they see his inclusion as free advertising for Xbox in general, as Master Chief is basically the mascot for the entire platform, much like Mario? Or what other reasons do you think there may be?
He's got like two boring melee attacks and lots of guns. Smash Bros isn't very gun friendly.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Because only good characters make it into Super Smash Bros.

Kokoloko85

Technically, Kazuya from Tekken started on the Playstation platforms. The character appearance isn't if they started on a Nintendo platform but when they appeared on one of the platforms. It's Nintendo's way of implementing the "crossover factor" with characters from recognizable franchises.

Terry Bogard is the mascot of SNK hardware. However, he appears in a couple of SNES ported titles. Samurai Showdown characters could've made the move as well.

Square might've started on Nintendo hardware but, there's no denying they helped shape Playstation into the juggernaut they are today.

Minecraft is an expensive pillar for Microsoft. Most younger players will purchase the game on whatever platform they own.

Also, lots of third-party representation from other developers helped shape Nintendo history -- Konami, Capcom (Platinum), Rare, Namco, and Tecmo.

I didnt even think about this. Cloud, Solid Snake and Kazuya are mostly known for there Playstation outings

Surprised Crash didnt make it into Smash at that rate either

Top Bottom