• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty on Forza Reboot: "It’s amazing. It’s going to, again, reset the high bar for what simulation and competitive racing games can be."

Since native 4K without RT at 60fps is rare I don’t see how they could pull it off. I believe it when I see it.
Healthy attitude to have, but for discussions sake...

How many fresh baked first party AAA games exclusive to one current gen console have we seen?

It's also a racing game with extremely set tracks.

The game also doesn't come out until next spring.

Like I said they may be dressing it up a bit, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

skneogaf

Hopefully the consoles won't hold back turn 10 in making this game a proper next generation forza motorsport.

Uiki

Yeah, I thought reboots were for games undergoing story or genre/mechanics upheavals.

It's a racing game. What is there to reboot?
Forza is so far behind in terms of features and experience on track it needed to be rebooted. It's not even a simcade anymore, it's a mess.
7 didn't have track limits until they patched them months after release. Let that sink in.

Controls, simulation, weather, damage, tires, on track experience.. and, most importantly, multiplayer.. which is so laughable in a motorsport title it's not even funny anymore. GT took the iracing model and went with it. And that's what's needed the most in forza.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Forza is so far behind in terms of features and experience on track it needed to be rebooted. It's not even a simcade anymore, it's a mess.
7 didn't have track limits until they patched them months after release. Let that sink in.

Controls, simulation, weather, damage, tires, on track experience.. and, most importantly, multiplayer.. which is so laughable in a motorsport title it's not even funny anymore. GT took the iracing model and went with it. And that's what's needed the most in forza.

For a racing game, does that demand a reboot? Can't they just release a new one that fixes all that stuff? For example, Mario Kart 8 wasn't a reboot. They just...added an 8.

Maybe the "reboot" angle is a marketing thing to drive home ITS A NEW GAEM!!! Like Overwatch 2 lol

Uiki

For a racing game, does that demand a reboot? Can't they just release a new one that fixes all that stuff? For example, Mario Kart 8 wasn't a reboot. They just...added an 8.

Maybe the "reboot" angle is a marketing thing to drive home ITS A NEW GAEM!!! Like Overwatch 2 lol
Not if they want to change the core experience. See what happened to project cars, for example. Motorsport is forever tainted with horror stories. They clearly want multiplayer and the competitive aspect to be front and center and it's impossible to take them seriously if they just slap an 8 on the game and call it a day. They need to fundamentally change the philosophy behind it = reboot.

Personally, I could not give 2 shits abouts rtx.. but hearing them talk about "competitive" makes me hopeful for the first time in years.

Last edited:
Excited to see more of it, since it is a proper current-gen experience (a little dig at GT7), with all the bells and whistles...

DaGwaphics

You also forgot it's the first game with Ray Traced Global Illumination (used in replays and the garage only) on consoles which is insane and apparently it's doing it at 60fps. RTGI is the most demanding RT feature, it makes Ray Traced shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections look like child's play..

I had not seen where they were using the RTGI in the replays. Wow, that's impressive.

Looking forward to this. I still play Forza 7 fairly often and hope they really did use all this time well to make the new game something special. I'll see once it releases.

Jinzo Prime

My feelings towards video game industry execs ranges from liking them where they have charisma (Moore, Tretton, Reggie, Iwata) to indifference (Layton, Spencer, Ryan).
But something about this guy really rubs me the wrong way. He's the only one I actively dislike (and Mattrick I guess).
It's because Matt has an enormous, titanic sized company backing him and his projects, but we get mediocre products like Halo Infinte and State of Decay 3, safe or lower budget games like Gears 5 and Grounded, and games announced with CGI trailers that still don't have a release date years later like Hellblade II, Avowed, Fable, and Everwild.

Matt Booty runs XGS like its a double A studio and not like a world class, bleeding edge behemoth that it should be. He is a disservice to the talent at Xbox and should be tossed out posthaste.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
let's go forza!!!!! i cant wait to try the game out in 2023, i absolutely loved forza horizon 5 (thought Motorsport 7 was good as well)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sounds like booty.

giphy.gif

Catphish

I'd rather have VR support than ray tracing. Now having seen it, I honestly couldn't care less about ray tracing anymore. Maybe a gen or two down the line when it doesn't come with such a performance cost but, for now, you can keep it.

Very much looking forward to the next Forza, tho

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Electric cars only, all you hear is vacuum and tire sounds.

If you lose too much grip, they penalize you for adding pollution to the air.

And obviously, if you want heated seats in your car, they will charge you a monthly subscription like BMW does IRL.

#CarScene2022/2023

nikos

Forza Motorsport was never exactly a simulation, but I really hope it at least has good wheel support and proper FOV/seat position adjustment on PC. That would be a good start.

Reactions: GHG

Raven117

Gold Member
I just want better physics. Don’t care much about ray tracing. I want it all to feel awesome to drive. That’s the key to a…ya know… a racing simulator

Fredrik

Healthy attitude to have, but for discussions sake...

How many fresh baked first party AAA games exclusive to one current gen console have we seen?

It's also a racing game with extremely set tracks.

The game also doesn't come out until next spring.

Like I said they may be dressing it up a bit, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Not sure there is one on Xbox. Does MS Flight Simulator count? We have Ratchet & Clank, Demon’s Souls and Returnal on PS5 though. No native 4K at 60fps with RT there.

For discussions sake, what graphics card do you need on PC to manage native 4K with RT at 60fps?
I have a 3070ti and it’s not even close.

Anyhow, Digital Foundry have a similar take by the way, take notice at this text:
To find out, we took a look at the two teaser trailers released so far - which, according to Microsoft's blog, were shot on PC but 'also tested on Xbox Series X for the same visual quality output' - curious.
I’m thinking they’re stretching the truth with the wording here for PR reasons.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m sure it’ll look and play great. I might give it a shot on GamePass when the time comes, but I usually have a really hard time getting into these kinds of games.

Javthusiast

Banned
All these companies are cowards. Rebooting titles, taking away numbers.

Keep them going I want more series that embrace the numbers like Final Fantasy.

Tiamat2san

I am confident that the game will be beautiful and that the gameplay will be perfect.

What i fear is micro-transactions.

Dampf

As always, when they speak about 4K they nearly always mean upscaled 4K. It won't be native 4K at 60FPS with Raytracing.
How about car reflections? Global illumination? Why downplay what it does?
Because these people likely have a gaming PC without an RT capable card and they are coping hard. The coping is especially strong for the poor souls who went with RDNA1 instead of Turing.

Ray-tracing is the lamest new feature of the last 10 years.

Wow, the puddles have reflections. Who gives a shit.

5700XT owner spotted.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
My guess is there will be an rt mode which still runs at 60 fps but bring the resolution down to 1440p, and a native 4k 60 fps mode that doesnt use rt. I think that would still be quite impressive

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My guess is there will be an rt mode which still runs at 60 fps but bring the resolution down to 1440p, and a native 4k 60 fps mode that doesnt use rt. I think that would still be quite impressive
Yeah.
I believe in Turn 10 but i have my doubts about a 4K60RT mode.

Their DRS solution would have to be super super sharp to keep the framerate at locked 60, so my guess is the RT mode will just run at a lower resolution.
The 4K60 mode will be with classic lighting.

Then again, devs are getting better and better at optimizing RT on consoles, so maybe Turn 10 have found a way to get 4K60RT to work on Series X.
4A Games basically reworked their pipeline to get Metro Exodus Enhanced to be so Raytraced on consoles.

Hunnybun

Native 4k and RT reflections just seem like 2 ways to spend gigantic amounts of computing power for not much return.

They should've concentrated on getting the trackside detail to look photorealistic and on really improving all the physics and weather etc. That's where the easy gains are, not bloody RT reflections.

Bragr

Banned
How about car reflections? Global illumination? Why downplay what it does?
Because the impact isn't that big. It depends on the game, but for 80% of ray-tracing supported games, it's just a cool little detail. If it was removed, no one would care for more than 1 day.

SSD is 10 times more important, and the graphical leaps of the past generations were considerably bigger. It's a marketing gimmick for this generation.

CeeJay

With DRS and/or reconstruction. Probably not native 4K 60 FPS with RT.

But with Turn 10 it's not a tall task, these guys were doing 1080p/60 FPS on the craptacular Xbox One hardware around the launch window as well.
At launch and it was smooth as silk!

As always, when they speak about 4K they nearly always mean upscaled 4K. It won't be native 4K at 60FPS with Raytracing.

When Turn 10 speak about resolution, they always refer to and deliver native. This happens every time a Motorsport game comes out. “1080p is impossible on Xbox one or won’t be native”. They delivered native 1080p/60. “4k/60 isn’t possible on Xbox one x”. They delivered 4k/60. Now Turn 10 is claiming 4k/60 with Ray tracing on Series X. They’ve proven themselves time and time again. I’ll believe them until they give me a reason not to.

Ozriel

M$FT
Last edited:
Top Bottom