• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Alan Wake - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Where Am I Dreaming GIF by Xbox

Umbasaborne

Banned
I would have loved to play the original vision of this game, when it was an open world. Also i have a soft spot for alan wake, but its the definition of an 8/10 game

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wasn't even very aware of this game back in the day, also didn't own a 360. So, I tried it out on Game Pass for PC this year, can't remember when, and I found it mediocre in every way. Surprised it's a fan favorite, and surprised it got the remaster treatment, not surprised that the reaction to the remaster has been lukewarm.

bender

What time is it?
I wasn't even very aware of this game back in the day, also didn't own a 360. So, I tried it out on Game Pass for PC this year, can't remember when, and I found it mediocre in every way. Surprised it's a fan favorite, and surprised it got the remaster treatment, not surprised that the reaction to the remaster has been lukewarm.

It has some of the better co-op AI we've seen in gaming. Barry is also awesome. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Banned
it is super overrated for sure. I love it but I can look past all the shortcomings of it.

objectively it's a 7/10 at best, and if they ever make a sequel (which it looks like they do) they will need to work on basically every core mechanic of the original, first and foremost the awful movement controls

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Flawed classic for me but you can really tell they shuffed and Open World game into a linear Action Adventure late in the development.

I think it's because back when it came out, it was a much more interesting experience. I played it many years ago, and when I tried to play it again last year, it didn't hold my attention at all.

Cattlyst

I replayed Alan Wake when it was on gamepass recently. I can't imagine I'd replay it again just because its now hi res. It's a really odd choice of game to remaster imo.

Ywap

I haven't played the remaster but i did play the original on PC and found it very boring. The lack of enemy variety made the game extremely monotonous.

And don't get me started on that American Nightmare mess... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think you have to be very facinated by the story and ignore the gameplay shortcomings to appreciate this game.

assurdum

Banned
Damn I wanted to buy it but hear all this people say is not good as they remembered it's not a good incentive :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alan Wake is a great game but I'm still disappointed that it wasn't open-world like it was originally supposed to be.
On pc (at least on original version) you can turn on noclip and fly around.
The whole map is present AT ALL TIMES and it's huge. There are roads, bridges and tunnels never seen or used in the game.
The game only loads buildings from the current level but the whole map is always there on each level. crazy

Esppiral

I really want to know if all this people calling it just an upres has actually tried it or they just follow the flow cuz all the assets has been remade....

Last edited:

Fake

This remaster is a mix bag, like a plenty others this year. The year of remasters.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Upon watching this it's not only Alan... his wife also looks terrible in new version. She looks way more smug and plastic.
Waitress too... The textures and models are better for environment but I don't like most new characters and some lighting changes. Comes off a bit flat in new version

I also remember everyone here hating the facial animations on the original release date which I never really understood

Or here. PC vs Remaster on PC

Aside from characters. Look at 3:46 how flat it is in remaster

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

On pc (at least on original version) you can turn on noclip and fly around.
The whole map is present AT ALL TIMES and it's huge. There are roads, bridges and tunnels never seen or used in the game.
The game only loads buildings from the current level but the whole map is always there on each level. crazy
I have played around with the free camera mode too. I managed to glitch the game and drop off the ferry in the beginning when using it. Then I tried to go in the town but there was still an invisible wall blocking my way.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
One of the most overrated games of all times, it was never great to begin with and then had a ludicrous remaster.

Lucky for remedy, they are better at developing cult followings than games and so they have guaranteed sales of the remaster.

Forgot to mention how pretentious and bad the plot was.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I love the game; one of my favorites, that said having played about 45 minutes of the remaster on series X it doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade. ( FYI my last play through was on PC 3 or 4 years ago so maybe it’s a big upgrade for Xbox).

Top Bottom