• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Dead or Alive 6 - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

joshwaan

What happened 2020's pc era happened for DOA and the multiplayer in there release. Not including the mass amounts of DLC cloths which we were accustomed to.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its a shame really because DOA6 was big step up from DOA5 (other than the obvious cash grab bullshit) DOA5 I honestly think its the low point of the series gameplay wise (I found it damn near unplayable)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I was locked in on DoA 1 - 4. Top tier series. Checked out after that.

Not a coincidence that this was during Itagaki's departure and the transition for Team Ninja.

Team Ninja seems to be back now, but they need to reboot DoA or try something different to get my attention back.

Dane

DOA 6 was a major step down from 5 content wise, not only we didn't get guest characters or all DOA5LR DLC characters (except Mai for obvious reasons) as feature standard to replace it, they still made Nyotengu as a pre-launch DLC and Rachel and Momiji as later DLCs.

The Story mode is a joke, barely anything is connected, its about random stuff that happens while there's the main tournament, but it doesn't go anywhere, the only thing that happens is just the confirmation of fan speculation that Honoka is actually Raidou's daughter (and therefore Ayane and Kasumi's sister).

Last edited:
It played better than any entry since Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate, but fans had invested too much into the previous entry to accept the change in gameplay direction and repurchasing what the previous had to offer.

Not having online on launch on PC and a trash story also soured some people's opinion on it.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was a risque marketing stunt that got them canceled at major FGC events. So they had nothing to remind people the game existed. After lackluster sales they cut support.

Last edited:

cireza

An amazing game, here is what happened. Played a ton of DoA5, and same with DoA6. By far the best fighting game on modern consoles.

Dane

It played better than any entry since Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate, but fans had invested too much into the previous entry to accept the change in gameplay direction and repurchasing what the previous had to offer.

Not having online on launch on PC and a trash story also soured some people's opinion on it.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was a risque marketing stunt that got them canceled at major FGC events. So they had nothing to remind people the game existed. After lackluster sales they cut support.
Yeah, the marketing was pure unecessary bullshit, they were trying to applease the woke FGC crowd who gave a pass to Tekken and especially SoulCalibur who's famous for risque stuff (Ivy), only to be shut off from Evo Japan stream because two promotion girls started to do boob jokes and joke each other breasts and one of the developers using the photo mode to do a sexual joke photo.

stn

The fighting gameplay is good but everything else is trash (crap story mode, too many extras locked behind DLC, etc...). I was really disappointed after how good DOA5: LR was.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I saw that video yesterday. I agree with most of it but the problem with most DOA6 criticism is that DOA5 did the exact same thing but sold many times better.

- $90+ season passes? DOA5 did that, it had like six or seven of them across the versions. You had to pay over $500 for everything.
- De-sexualize the girls in the marketing and have to grind or buy the actual sexy costumes? DOA5 did that, it even had the promotional tagline Im A Fighter that the video mentions.
- A story mode with an embarassing plot and cringe dialogue? Yes DOA5 did that, I guess most people don’t remember since they didn’t play the story.

You can’t criticize DOA6 and praise DOA5 they did the exact same shit. Unless you’re being particular about the gameplay, and there’s only about two dozen people who can legit get into the nitty gritty about DOA gameplay.

KiteGr

It happened what happens with most fighting games these days.
I've bought DOA5 3 times because eacch time they where releasing a "final" edition with "all the extra content", only to have yet more DLC on the way.

DOA6 looked very similar to DoA5, so I decided it wasn't worth the investment.
I was going to eventually buy it once they released a true "complete edition" but they never did.

Calverz

Bought it on PS2 last month. How hard is it to do?

Did Itagaki's exit not damage this series at all?
Doa2 ultimate was an Xbox remake of doa2 and is considered the best version as it took design queues from doa3. To unlock cgi gallery you must complete story mode around 130 times…..

If it’s doa2 hardcore you got on ps2, you just win 5 team attack matches to unlock cgi gallery. But the gallery in ultimate is much bigger

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I was locked in on DoA 1 - 4. Top tier series. Checked out after that.

Not a coincidence that this was during Itagaki's departure and the transition for Team Ninja.

Team Ninja seems to be back now, but they need to reboot DoA or try something different to get my attention back.

Same here. And I have DoA4 on Series and its still much better than 5 and 6, imo.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was a fan DoA2 through DoA4. After that, it just looks like a vehicle to sell MTX character outfits.

I just view it as trash now.

night13x

DOA 5 + 6 made me really sad as a series fan. Had all the DOA games and the various versions of it from 1 - 4 (and the 3ds game too), I got some version of 5 (forget which version) but that was when it all went downhill...and I mean like a roller coaster dropping 5k feet down below the earth). The DLC got way out of hand and shows where the devs put their efforts in. DOA 6 was just a continuation of that. shame bc 5 and 6 had a pretty good foundation of a fighting game behind it hidden by corp greed.

I always hoping that after a break and a change in leadership, DOA 7 (or even a reboot) can reroute the ship to get it back on the straight and narrow, but we will see.

Roxkis_ii

Itagaki's Team Ninja had a nice run on the Xbox 360. DOA3&4, Ninja Gaiden, and Ninja Gaiden Black! Man. We didn't even know what we had.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can we all at least agree that Mila was the best post-Itagaki character?

mila_beach_ii_by_radianteld_danjupd-fullview.jpg

Miss me with that loli shit.

Top Bottom