• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 - The Worst Fighting Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22[a] is a 1995 fighting video game developed by Tose and published by Bandai and Infogrames for the PlayStation. Based upon Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball franchise, its gameplay is similar to the Super Butōden sub-series, consisting of one-on-one fights with a main six-button configuration, featuring special moves, as well as five playable modes. It is referred as "Ultimate Battle 22" or "UB22" by fans due to the roster of twenty two playable characters from the series.

Announced early in 1995 as part of the Super Butōden sub-series, Ultimate Battle 22 shares the same character sprites as with another Dragon Ball Z fighting game developed by Tose for the Sega Saturn called Shin Butōden. The game garnered mixed reception from European critics but negative response from North American critics; Reviewers criticized for the slow gameplay, controls, lack of story mode and visuals but some commended its large roster of 27 playable characters. The title sold approximately between 260,942 and 320,000 copies during its lifetime in Japan.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This game could be found at our local game store ages ago. Legends, UB22, and GT were talked about a lot. There weren’t any good DBZ games to play. These were only acceptable because they were related to DBZ. Everything changed when Budokai came out.

SkylineRKR

This game was horrible, like GT. No one bat an eye at them but once the series took off in the west they were in demand for a while. Awful games.

I remember now, me and a friend and a few of his friends would compete in Final Bout's build up mode to get the highest level character. Like once a week we'd get together to play for a while and fight a tournament. I'm not kidding and I wish I could spit in my own face for remembering that

I should try playing it again sometime just to destroy my childhood memories

Also watched the vid in the OP and I'm glad to see that Matt McMuscles never stopped putting annoying fucking cutaways to a Simpsons or Spongebob clip in every single one of his videos. I wish the Youtube algorithm would more aggressively demonetise videos and deprive people of their livelihoods.

SomeGit

This game could be found at our local game store ages ago. Legends, UB22, and GT were talked about a lot. There weren’t any good DBZ games to play. These were only acceptable because they were related to DBZ. Everything changed when Budokai came out.

I remember liking Legends a lot on Saturn, probably shouldn't revisit that then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom