• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles: Prince of Persia 3D - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• 🗡️ "What happened to Prince of Persia 3D?" is one of the topics of the episode, which covers the history of the Prince of Persia franchise and how the 3D entry fits into it.
    [*]💰 Prince of Persia 2 had a decline in sales and notoriety compared to its predecessor, and plans for a third game were shelved after the success of Doom in 1993.
    [*]🖥️ In 1996, producer Andrew Patterson at Red Orb Entertainment approached series creator Jordan Mechner to help with a new Prince of Persia game in 3D.
    [*]🕹️ Although Mechner was not directly involved in the day-to-day development, he co-wrote the story and gave his overall blessing.
    [*]🎮 Mindscape Entertainment developed Prince of Persia 3D with Red Orb handling the publishing duties.
    [*]📝 The team solidified the storyline, choosing to discard the foreshadowing from Prince of Persia 2 and focusing on a

[*]💼 Prince of Persia 3D for Dreamcast had improvements such as increased movement speed, improved lighting, tweaked controls, and an overhauled combat system.
    [*]🗡️ Some weapons from the PC version were removed but replaced with swords of varying strength.
    [*]🚨 The removal of the ability to save anywhere and the implementation of a checkpoint system hampered the game's improvements and proved frustrating for players due to infrequent checkpoints and instant death mechanics.
    [*]📊 Reviews for both versions of the game were similar, and the Dreamcast port fared slightly worse on average.
    [*]💸 The game did not have significant financial success, and Mattel faced shareholder criticism for losing money due to The Learning Company acquisition and other mistakes.
    [*]🏰 Ubisoft later acquired the rights to the Prince of Persia franchise and asked creator Jordan Mechner to help develop a new game, which he accepted due to the intriguing time-manipulating mechanics proposed by the young team at Ubisoft Montreal.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Whatever happen to the sands of time remake that was Uber “ progressive “ being made by actual “ Persians “

FingerBang

I am sure at some point in my life I was aware of the existence of this game, but I have no recollection whatsoever. Never played it, nor I know anyone who bought/played it. And there were plenty of duds in the late 90s.

Top Bottom