• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt McMuscles | Trespasser: Jurassic Park - What Happened?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Trespasser is a 1998 action-adventure video game developed by DreamWorks Interactive and published by Electronic Arts for Microsoft Windows. The game serves as a sequel to the 1997 film The Lost World: Jurassic Park,[1][2] taking place a year after the film's events. Players control Anne, the sole survivor of a plane crash that leaves her stranded on a remote island with genetically engineered dinosaurs. It features the voices of Minnie Driver as Anne and Richard Attenborough as John Hammond, reprising his role from the film series.

The game engine of Trespasser was advanced for its time and required a fast and powerful computer to adequately display the game's detailed graphics without pixelation artifacts.[3] Upon release, the game received mixed to negative reviews and disappointed many critics,[4] with GameSpot declaring it "the worst game of 1998".[5] The mixed reception is believed to have been caused by rushing the development to reach the 1998 release date and the game's overly ambitious and advanced nature.[6]

UnNamed

Banned
Some games are bad because they don't deliver their promises.

Trespasser is bad because it tried to deliver its promises, but the technology simply wasn't there.

skit_data

It’s a great game and I’m entirely convinced if they’d have more time it’d be considered one of the greatest ever.

In my book it is.

Edit: It’s actually pretty cool I got this from my parents at christmas of release year. One of the 87 000 copies sold. I remember cutting up that big box it came in to plaster the Velociraptor head on the door to my room. God I wish I still had that box in pristine shape.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

🦕 The Jurassic Park: Trespasser team wanted to make a strategic move to gain relevance in Dreamworks Interactive by creating a game based on the newly announced Jurassic Park sequel directed by Steven Spielberg.
🦖 Jurassic Park: Trespasser's approach was to create a game that was a natural evolution of the studio's previous game, System Shock, but amplified in every direction.
🦕 The game's storyline had similarities to System Shock, where the player wakes up in a secluded area, unable to leave or communicate with anyone.
🦖 In Trespasser, the player is stranded on an abandoned island, which is the location where Jurassic Park's dinosaurs were raised, and the player had to navigate a wide-open ecosystem shared with different species of dinosaurs.
  • 🎮 The team behind Jurassic Park: Trespasser aimed to create a high level of simulation in the game, but struggled with making judgement calls.
  • 🏆 Trespasser was named the worst game of 1998 by GameSpot and faced criticism from players and the internet.
  • 🎵 After the game's release, one of the developers, Austin Grossman, compared the experience to the backlash against Rebecca Black's song "Friday" and expressed admiration for her resilience as a musician.
  • 🤔 Although Trespasser was widely regarded as a failure and subject to ridicule, its innovative ideas, such as an invisible interface and physics puzzles, have influenced other successful games.
  • 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦 The development of Trespasser put a strain on the relationship between its creators, Austin Grossman and Seamus Blackley

LRKD

people just weren't ready for it yet lol, ahead of its time and a really fun game. Controls take some getting used to but aren't as bad as some would lead you to believe. Some really cool lore, and voice lines from Dr Hammond.

k_trout

such a forward thinking game, weird seeing it run at High rez and fps
and I got news for some gaming folks, when a woman looks down they see their tits, its just one of those fun parts of reality

Loved the game, jank and all. Can you believe it was the first game I introduced my old g/f to? She loved it even with the awkward controls.

emivita

Now imagine a modern game in 2023 where you need to look at your boobs to check your health bar.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A game way ahead of its time. A game that truly deserves a full blown remake.

Either that or let Ubisoft make a Far Cry X Jurassic Park game.

Top Bottom