• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

cdyhybrid

I use to think what Feige did was no big deal, just good management. But seeing so many companies floundering, dude must be juggling chainsaws, while turning water into wine, while blindfoolded.

It is quite telling WB/DC has shifting messages week by week. WB is the switch messaging app of comicbook movies
Just look at how hard it is to make consistently good movies of any genre, much less all in one genre and with continuity

Weren't part of the JL reshoots to tie it further into Wonder Woman, making for a more cohesive universe? I really doubt that they're seriously pulling the plug on the DCEU. Not right after Wonder Woman blew away the critics and the box-office. The DCEU has got to be in a better place than it's ever been.

Ross61

Weren't part of the JL reshoots to tie it further into Wonder Woman, making for a more cohesive universe? I really doubt that they're seriously pulling the plug on the DCEU. Not right after Wonder Woman blew away the critics and the box-office. The DCEU has got to be in a better place than it's ever been.
DCEU is their biggest pay day, it's foolish to think that they're dismantling it.

Blader

Fine with me. Anything Reeves does in the DCEU -- prequel, sequel, or post-Flashpoint reboot -- is going to inevitably be weighed down by BvS' baggage.

qNaluS9.png

Not a fan of the idea?

oscar-isaac-dancing_ex-machina_a24-01c.gif

riotous

Banned
Doesn't bother me personally; make enjoyable movies first and foremost. If Batfleck is out then it makes sense to remove Batman from the DCEU and then make a separate Batman trilogy.

mjc

Cutting interconnectivity is fine...but why try that in the first place? Unless he just means it won't have ties to other movies directly. Which is also fine.

FeD.nL

So they can basically test the reception to this Batman and then decide which one carries over post-flashpoint.

Watch it be JDM as Thomas Wayne

geomon

Just cancel this shit already. They don't know what they're doing with this movie. Just make Wonder Woman the centerpiece of the DCU and let her rip.

We'll see if people give enough of a shit to actually want a JL 2 or 3.

A movie coming out 6 months after Wonder Woman with that character featured front-and-center is going to do fine. I don't see a scenario where JL is THAT much of a bomb. I predict it does better than BvS, at the very least.

DeviantBoi

If Affleck isn't doing The Batman, then better to disconnect from the DCEU so that you have a reason to recast The Joker.

You don't wanna get stuck with Jared Leto.

Shaanyboi

Banned
A movie coming out 6 months after Wonder Woman with that character featured front-and-center is going to do fine. I don't see a scenario where JL is THAT much of a bomb. I predict it does better than BvS, at the very least.
It will make money. I'm not doubting that. I'm talking about critical reception. We live in a world where Batman and Superman's first big film together is sitting in the 20's on RT.

JL has to prove it's not a fucking mess.

It will make money. I'm not doubting that. I'm talking about critical reception. We live in a world where Batman and Superman's first big film together is sitting in the 20's on RT.

Sure, but critical reception isn't what greenlights the sequels.

Just cancel this shit already. They don't know what they're doing with this movie. Just make Wonder Woman the centerpiece of the DCU and let her rip.

I'd argue that's not true. Reeves seems to have a pretty clear goal for what he wants to do with The Batman.

It's just that the film is still in the pre-production stages at this point and Reeves has entered a project that was previously on shaky ground when Affleck was supposed to write and direct the film and the presumed lead actor of the film is frequently being reported as being on his way out the door as Batman.

A lot of this comes down to Justice League. If Ben really is leaving the role, it's clear that Warner Bros don't want to announce that officially until after that film is released due to any potential impact that might have on how JL performs at the box office.

Once JL is out of the way and we have a clearer idea on what Ben's future involvement as Batman is, I think reports are going to shift in a very different tone for The Batman. Reeves knows how to make killer movies.

Ross61

SS2 is greenlighted and in development. JL really doesn't have to prove to not be a "fucking mess".

Apt101

Until we know more this all premature, but if it's true - probably for the best. Leaving the films up to creators, letting them tell their own self-contained stories, and abandoning the idea of a DCEU is probably for the best, at least for a decade, seeing as how badly almost all of it turned out.

That was the worst Superman ever - in any medium - elseworlds or no, across those two films. This version of Batman was OK at times, but considered in his entirety one needs to remember that he was annihilating people with the Batwing and torturing helpless criminals. Joker and Lex Luthor are exquisitely awful. Lol Suicide Squad. Only Wonder Woman was genuinely good.

I'll take another Wonder Woman film with Jenkins and Gadot, and I'll check out Whedon's Batgirl unless the teaser drops and it looks like hot garbage. I'm not interested in anything else they're cooking up that I've read about. Perhaps Whedon can work some magic on JL and make me change my mind.

DC / WB already can't seem to make up their minds. I'm now officially believing that they have a reason for doing Flashpoint, either that or they have trouble with elseworld films. Oh well as long as it's good, I can't complain.

The reshoots were done in response to Wonder Woman's reception likely, so yes.

Cipherr

This is honestly the next step for the superhero genre. Movies being standalone, doing their own thing and their own style.

Well I mean, its how it was done before the MCU made all that money and audiences loved it. There was nothing wrong with Nolan's Batman films honestly. They were successes. Big successes, but everyone has to follow the leader, so when Avengers hit; and drug every follow up in the MCU northwards in boxoffice all the others started copying.

Maybe its just better if DC does their heroes separately. I guess we will see. Both approaches have benefits and negatives.

Busty

Banned
I would like to leave you with a quote from Oscar Wilde that probably sums up how WB feels about this lightweight, clickbait non-story.

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

kikiribu

Honestly, standalone is better. It grants more freedom. Cinematic Universe movies all end up feeling very samey due to the expectations/how connected they are. It's part of the reason MCU became boring to me.

Penguin

Hmm I am intrigued why is this interview quote coming up now?

It's even BEFORE the San Diego panel that pretty much showed it would be part of the universe...

Is it trying to tie this into the Joker news from yesterday?

Hmm I am intrigued why is this interview quote coming up now?

It's even BEFORE the San Diego panel that pretty much showed it would be part of the universe...

Is it trying to tie this into the Joker news from yesterday?

I think that's the main reason people are freaking out, yeah.

Top Bottom