• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

Just like Man of Steel 2 is in development? Or Justice League Dark?

What do you think "in development" means? They've been working on scripts for these films. They've been trying to lock down directors. That's what "in development" means. Like... They just showed off brand new logo treatments for both SS2 and JLD to fans at Comic-Con last month.

Lokimaru

Fine with me. Anything Reeves does in the DCEU -- prequel, sequel, or post-Flashpoint reboot -- is going to inevitably be weighed down by BvS' baggage.

Baggage that they created by cutting the movie down. Well you reap what you sow.

He probably misspoke and meant to say that there will be no justice league members in the movie or any other tie-ins to other movies. I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

PARANO1A

"Filmmaker driven universe" is the reason that Wonder Woman was such a smash & that it'll be more remembered than 90% of the MCU movies though....
Wonder woman is primarily known for being surprisingly good within the shitheap that of the DCEU. If they can make a few films carrying any interest in her I'll take your word for it... But honestly WW was forgettable outside of 'thank God that didn't suck like those other DC movies'.

Wonder woman is primarily known for being surprisingly good within the shitheap that of the DCEU. If they can make a few weeks carrying any interest in her I'll take your word for it... But honestly WW was forgettable outside of 'thank God that didn't suck like those other DC movies'.

That may be true for you, but that is far from the consensus.

He probably misspoke and meant to say that there will be no justice league members in the movie.

Going over the quote, I think it's pretty clear that Reeves didn't misspoke. He's quoting what the studio told him about the film when he signed up. Granted, this could all easily be semantics here, but it's worth keeping that distinction in mind.

After the first good film in their cinematic universe (Wonder Woman), they decide to torch it all and throw shit like a Joker solo film at the wall to see if it sticks. Now the only other redeemable facet of the universe is being disconnected from the cannon, potentially even without the current lead actor in the role.

Don't worry though, DC has it all under control. At least you can be damn sure that Wan's Aquaman is going to be amazing.

He probably misspoke and meant to say that there will be no justice league members in the movie or any other tie-ins to other movies. I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

I believe that's the case. That said I'd be all for Reeves' doing his solo series while Affleck stayed on as Batman in the DCEU. Basically what WB wanted to do a decade ago. Affleck won't get a solo Batman, but sticks to supporting roles in JL2, Batgirl, Nightwing, Suicide Squad 2, GCS, and the like.

That's essentially what's happening with the Joker origin. Leto is doing Suicide Squad 2 and GCS, while there's another actor for the Elseworlds movie.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
zacksnyder.jpg

giphy.gif

Ross61

Going over the quote, I think it's pretty clear that Reeves didn't misspoke. He's quoting what the studio told him about the film when he signed up. Granted, this could all easily be semantics here, but it's worth keeping that distinction in mind.
I mean contextually, before it was a page one rewrite by Matt it was style have a script from Ben, Geoff, and Chris Terrio. And that was still in the main universe because JL was setting it up. So when they were pitching it too him it would have still be a mainline DCEU movie.

I believe that's the case. That said I'd be all for Reeves' doing his solo series while Affleck stayed on as Batman in the DCEU. Basically what WB wanted to do a decade ago. Affleck won't get a solo Batman, but sticks to supporting roles in JL2, Batgirl, Nightwing, Suicide Squad 2, GCS, and the like.

That's essentially what's happening with the Joker origin. Leto is doing Suicide Squad 2 and GCS, while there's another actor for the Elseworlds movie.

The best way to go about things really. The novelty of a "CU" has not done much for the genre imo outside of consistently great box office results (for both comic companies too when you look at it)

I hope they go all in on this elseworlds stuff. Could potentially get more things on par with the gawds like TDK and Logan.

Hell, Snyder's movies should have always been elseworlds. BvS has a lot of baggage to be connected to audience friendly superhero flicks, and plus we could have gotten a post apocalyptic injustice movie out of him too in a sequel

Edit: Todd Phillips is a terrible choice to begin this experiment tho God damn. Wonder what the Scorsese involvement will entail

Wonder woman is primarily known for being surprisingly good within the shitheap that of the DCEU. If they can make a few films carrying any interest in her I'll take your word for it... But honestly WW was forgettable outside of 'thank God that didn't suck like those other DC movies'.

Based on the film's critical success, financial success, and cultural zeitgeist, I would strongly disagree with you. This one scene alone has had like 1,000 think pieces written about it. People are going to be dissecting this film and writing theses on it for a long time.

Jake2by4

At this point I don't care. Fast track Flashpoint or have Darkseid destroying multi verses from his chair then reboot the film universe.

This gif tells you so much with so little. Beautiful.

"Just snap his neck like this bro it'll be whack as helllz!!1"

Did you start your paint diet recently or has this been going on for a while?

Might need to seek help.

WW is higher rated than any other comic book flick in history besides TDK, and tied with SM: Homecoming. It set records and holds the record for highest earning superhero origin film ever domestically. Your entire statement is garbage.

"Filmmaker driven universe" is the reason that Wonder Woman was such a smash & that it'll be more remembered than 90% of the MCU movies though....

WW was slightly better than than most CBM, lets not pretend that it was in any way special than most run of the mill action movies. The only thing that would bring the movie to run of the mill would be if a certain character that
sacrificed himself
all of the sudden
makes it to the sequel

WW was slightly better than than most CBM, lets not pretend that it was in any way special than most run of the mill action movies. The only thing that would bring the movie to run of the mill would be if a certain character that
sacrificed himself
all of the sudden
makes it to the sequel

Disagree. WW meant a lot more to a great number of people than any old action movie does.

Bringing people back from the dead is a hallmark of comic books. You can't hold that again WW2 if they go that route.

What in the world are they doing?? So a separate Batman movie, a separate Joker movie... While still having JL universe movies happening concurrently? Why?!

Edit:
GBSuNLN.gif

Someone take the wheel....

sacrificed himself
all of the sudden
makes it to the sequel

WW clowned every cape flick that has hit theaters since TDK.

This revisionist history is nauseating. It's in the top 3 best ever (IMO is the best).

This is your everyday average Frank Miller fan. They're all kinda like this. The solution is to stray far away from Miller's work from here on out.

It's nauseating. They should just quit making Superman flicks till they can guarantee it will top '78. They're destroying the character
but honestly Superman was never really that compelling anyway.

Disagree. WW meant a lot more to a great number of people than any old action movie does.

Disagree how? It did absolutely nothing to the level like a movie in Nolan, Winter Soldier, or SP2's scale did. Story was ok, villain was better than average, and fights had a laughable amount of slow mos. It had a ton of fun/good things mind you, but it did not do any sort of thing in an amazing fashion. One thing I did like is that characters felt more real instead of the hammy "I'm a comic book character" that so many of these movies have (which is the opposite of what you're supposed to do in my view). I don't know how the movie does a great deal than other action movies, not sure what you're referencing?

Bringing people back from the dead is a hallmark of comic books. You can't hold that again WW2 if they go that route.
If it's the only emotional part of the movie, then yeah I can. :\

This revisionist history is nauseating. It's in the top 3 best ever (IMO is the best).
I don't really know what to say other than your taste in movies is pretty bad from my pov.

It's nauseating. They should just quit making Superman flicks till they can guarantee it will top '78. They're destroying the character

I think we're going through the backlash phase of Wonder Woman. This happened with La La Land last year.

Move comes out, everyone loves it
More people go see it, tell their friends to see it
Too many people like it, contrarian opinions become cool and edgy
Everyone hates it
Movie fades from public discourse
Everyone loves it again

Look, I used to be like you. And then I read American Alien and it was like I found Jesus.

What I'm saying is, Max Landis needs to write and direct Superman.

Shredderi

Man when they we're mapping this whole DCEU thing in their minds when MCEU had a stellar takeoff, they propably never thought they would where they are today. They propably thought they would knock it out of the park with a hit after hit. Fuck the DCEU, just start doing singular, isolated GOOD movies. They're never delivering on that DCEU promise.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Funny how WB used to be concerned and protective over this stuff they instituted a Bat-embargo. Now they're all, "Fuck it."

Wan is going to make a top 3 of all time CBM i wouldn't worry too much

I don't really know what to say other than your taste in movies is pretty bad from my pov.

If you think Winter Soldier is better than Wonder Woman then your taste in movies is not worth discussing, lol. The *only* thing WS had on WW was fight choreography. And I really liked WS.

I think we're going through the backlash phase of Wonder Woman. This happened with La La Land last year.

Move comes out, everyone loves it
More people go see it, tell their friends to see it
Too many people like it, contrarian opinions become cool and edgy
Everyone hates it
Movie fades from public discourse
Everyone loves it again

It never fails. The success-hating hipsters are mind-numbing. Same shit with The Force Awakens.

If WB was smart with this they'd use Flash to somehow retcon out everything except Wonder Woman.

It should be easy, honestly. As long as Flash resets everything that happened AFTER World War I, then WW1 is safe. If the sequels are period pieces, then maybe Flash just resets the Universe from the start of Bruce Wayne's birth?

If you think Winter Soldier is better than Wonder Woman then your taste in movies is not worth discussing, lol. The *only* thing WS had on WW was fight choreography. And I really liked WS.

Can you tell me a single thing WW has actually done ramazing? Winter Soldier had a far better story than WW, far better villain, sense of danger, music, and fight choreography. There's literally nothing that comes close to the car scene in Winter Soldier from WW.

I don't know what to do other than laugh at the idea of WS being better than WW is some strange concept to you, like I'm saying some sort of magical statement. You and massive amount of people that hold this opinion can laugh about it though.

R1fdEt3.gif

It never fails. The success-hating hipsters are mind-numbing. Same shit with The Force Awakens.
Pretty sure I posted about WW in the first or second week it came out on gaf, which I had the same pov. Maybe you should come down to the real world though because you are making it out to be like WW is one of the GOAT CBM is something that has been accepted by most people which is not really the case.

I loved TFA though.

a916

I'm really starting to get a feeling that they're going to hard reboot the DCEU after Justice League

I mean, they haven't even begun to course correct on screen yet so I'm not sure why they'd hard reset. Especially since they have a Flashpoint coming out after all this.

By the time they decided on a course correct, SS was in the can, BvS dropped, and JL was already into production.

We haven't even seen what their course correction will look like.

Can you tell me a single thing WW has actually done ramazing? Winter Soldier had a far better story than WW, far better villain, sense of danger, music, and fight choreography. There's literally nothing that comes close to the car scene in Winter Soldier from WW.

I don't know what to do other than laugh at the idea of WS being better than WW is some strange concept to you, like I'm saying some sort of magical statement. You and massive amount of people that hold this opinion can laugh about it though.

R1fdEt3.gif

I don't agree with the person you're replying to.. but WW music >>> and No Man's Land >>>>>

I will not tolerate these hot takes on Wonder Woman. That shit came out and shook Feige to the core. The man was finally knew what it felt like to be defeated.

R1fdEt3.gif

Better villain? I've seen WS 3 times and can't remember who the villain is. Or the plot beyond WS being on the run and cool fight scenes. Granted its been a year or so since the last viewing. Sense of danger? From who? From what? Lol. Music? Realllyyy? When WW's theme is iconic already (probably the most recognizable of all the themes)?

Even RT and other aggregates disagree with you. Don't act like thinking WW is better than WS is some wild opinion - it is the norm. You thinking otherwise is not.

And that's not even getting into Gal Gadot being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone in WS in terms of "being" the character, and the supporting cast is also >>>>>>>> WS. The snow/dance scene alone is more profound than anything in any Cap movie, and I really liked all of them.

I will not tolerate these hot takes on Wonder Woman. That shit came out and shook Feige to the core. The man was finally knew what it felt like to be defeated.

I think the hipster hate on WW rubs me worse than TFA or Rogue One or anything to come out recently. I can give some merit to the "TFA retreads too much" and "Rogue One is slow the first 2/3" ... but WW was sublime. Best cape flick ever IMO.

Top Bottom