• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

OldRoutes

Better villain? I've seen WS 3 times and can't remember who the villain is. Or the plot beyond WS being on the run and cool fight scenes. Granted its been a year or so since the last viewing. Sense of danger? From who? From what? Lol. Music? Realllyyy? When WW's theme is iconic already (probably the most recognizable of all the themes)?

Even RT and other aggregates disagree with you. Don't act like thinking WW is better than WS is some wild opinion - it is the norm. You thinking otherwise is not.

And that's not even getting into Gal Gadot being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone in WS in terms of "being" the character, and the supporting cast is also >>>>>>>> WS. The snow/dance scene alone is more profound than anything in any Cap movie, and I really liked all of them.

You've watched Winter Solider 3 times and can't tell me who the villain is? Really?

Really?

Shredderi

If you think Winter Soldier is better than Wonder Woman then your taste in movies is not worth discussing, lol. The *only* thing WS had on WW was fight choreography. And I really liked WS.

It never fails. The success-hating hipsters are mind-numbing. Same shit with The Force Awakens.

Yes, winter soldier was a much stronger movie than WW.

Sephzilla

Better villain? I've seen WS 3 times and can't remember who the villain is. Or the plot beyond WS being on the run and cool fight scenes. Granted its been a year or so since the last viewing. Sense of danger? From who? From what? Lol. Music? Realllyyy? When WW's theme is iconic already (probably the most recognizable of all the themes)?

Even RT and other aggregates disagree with you. Don't act like thinking WW is better than WS is some wild opinion - it is the norm. You thinking otherwise is not.

And that's not even getting into Gal Gadot being >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone in WS in terms of "being" the character, and the supporting cast is also >>>>>>>> WS. The snow/dance scene alone is more profound than anything in any Cap movie, and I really liked all of them.

I strongly question whether or not you've watched Winter Soldier 1 time, let alone 3

You've watched Winter Solider 3 times and can't tell me who the villain is? Really?

Really?
Legit tried my best not to laugh in my cubicle at work when I read that post.

Yes you're right. Two people dancing in the snow is more memorable the one of the best comic book scenes in the last 10 years. Have fun in bizarro land.

Davide

If you think Winter Soldier is better than Wonder Woman then your taste in movies is not worth discussing, lol. The *only* thing WS had on WW was fight choreography. And I really liked WS.

It never fails. The success-hating hipsters are mind-numbing. Same shit with The Force Awakens.
Uh I'm all for not hating on movies like The Force Awakens but Winter Soldier and Wonder Woman are both great movies and I would understand a preference for either of them.

Really?

Really. All I remember is a missile hitting some guy in a bunker? Zemo? Idk. The highway fight and Cap chasing WS to the roof are the only scenes that stick out now. I watch a *lot* of movies.

Yes, winter soldier was a much stronger movie than WW.

Your opinion is fine, but its wrong. Critics and audiences agree with me :D

I strongly question whether or not you watched Winter Soldier 1 time, let alone 3

You got me - I have false memories implanted in my head of WS by the Marvel Secret Service.

Legit tried my best not to laugh in my cubicle at work when I read that post.

Yes you're right. Two people dancing in the snow is more memorable the one of the best comic book scenes in the last 10 years. Have fun in bizarro land.

You clearly watch movies for totally different reasons than I. The cake scene in SM2 was the last one I could recall being as heartfelt.

Hi my name's QuantumZebra and I like to present my opinions as facts.

Hi I'm TheSecondSpitter and I like to shitpost without contributing to the conversation.

winter soldier is a better movie than wonder woman. but i think wonder woman had a lot more heart to its characters and also that no man's land scene ended up being one of my favorite action scenes in the genre too. dat empowerment. wouldn't be out of place seeing people put it over Cap 2 tbh.

only Logan is the cbm worth giving some fucks about tho since TDK. i wish i could say the same about BvS too because I fucked with a lot of the ideas in that but nah.

When did this become a thing?

Edit: Oh, I see he's trolling. Carry on.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Haha, come the fuck on. My taste in movies is impeccable, which is why I can unequivocally tell you that Winter Soldier is absolutely the superior film. There are myriad reasons for this, but the main one is that Winter Soldier doesn't completely fumble its third act and require the male lead to feed the big moral revelation line to the female lead before she says it. I liked Wonder Woman and am glad it's enjoying success, because it deserves it, but it gets a lot more credit than it should just because an actual good movie out of the DCEU seems like a minor miracle.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I like WW a whole lot... but this post is ridiculous. You're going to tell me the movie with that shitty Ludendorff superpill subplot represents the apex of the genre?

It's a difference of 3% on RottenTomatoes.

Your point being? A 72% is passing and a 69% is failing. That statement is about as relevant. One is objectively rated higher than the other. Subjective opinions don't overwrite commonly-held ones just because you or anyone else wants them to.

Haha, come the fuck on. My taste in movies is impeccable, which is why I can unequivocally tell you that Winter Soldier is absolutely the superior film. There are myriad reasons for this, but the main one is that Winter Soldier doesn't completely fumble its third act and require the male lead to feed the big moral revelation line to the female lead before she says it. I liked Wonder Woman and am glad it's enjoying success, because it deserves it, but it gets a lot more credit than it should just because an actual good movie out of the DCEU seems like a minor miracle.

I can unequivocally tell you that you're wrong beyond the scope of your own opinion. Again, one is rated higher than the other across the board. That film is Wonder Woman.

I like WW a whole lot... but this post is ridiculous. You're going to tell me the movie with that shitty Ludendorff superpill subplot represents the apex of the genre?

The Ludendorff red herring was a nice distraction in contrast to the 2008 animated film, where Ares was *wayyyy* more overt. Nice homage and bait. Loved it. The final fight was +++++++++++++++++++++++++.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Your point being? A 72% is passing and a 69% is failing. That statement is about as relevant. One is objectively rated higher than the other. Subjective opinions don't overwrite commonly-held ones just because you or anyone else wants them to.

All the ratings you're citing are by definition subjective. Putting a bunch of subjective things together doesn't magically create something objective.

this is as laughable a post as the one you're quoting. get over yourself.

It was meant as a joke, because what he said is just as ridiculous.

Davide

You're acting like there's this huge obvious difference in quality between these two movies, which I've never heard from anyone before, and using critics to support your argument is ridiculous when one has 89% and the other 92%.

Have you... looked at the title of the movie?

Winter Soldier isn't the villain of the film. Wasn't it Hydra? Again, the film goes to shit at the end and I had 0 concern or attention span for it. Civil War had a more coherent ending.

You don't seem to understand how any of this works.

Please explain to me how WS is objectively better than WW when no review sites or critic aggregates agree?

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Ludendorff red herring was a nice distraction in contrast to the 2008 animated film, where Ares was *wayyyy* more overt. Nice homage and bait. Loved it. The final fight was +++++++++++++++++++++++++.

You mean to tell me the David Thewlis twist with Ares wasn't brazenly fucking obvious?

I thought you watched a lot of movies

Uh, it absolutely does. Third act of Winter Soldier is real bad. WW and Winter Soldier are on even footage and both share that problem.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You mean to tell me the David Thewlis twist with Ares wasn't brazenly fucking obvious?

Obvious from the very first shot of him reacting to Diana. Then again, to borrow a page from his own playbook, if he thinks the final fight with Ares was good in any way, clearly there's not much to discuss here.

Uh, it absolutely does. Third act of Winter Soldier is real bad. WW and Winter Soldier are on even footage and both share that problem.

Not even close. If you were comparing Cap 1's third act, I'd be right there with you, but Winter Soldier sticks the landing while Wonder Woman faceplants. Not saying WS is perfect, but it's a damn sight better than the clearly reshot-to-hell finale of WW.

Please explain to me how WS is objectively better than WW when no review sites or critic aggregates agree?

There is no "objectively better" in this situation. That's what you don't seem to grasp.

Davide

Rotten Tomatoes average ratings:

Wonder Woman 7.5
Winter Soldier: 7.6

tenor.gif

Sephzilla

Winter Soldier isn't the villain of the film. Wasn't it Hydra? Again, the film goes to shit at the end and I had 0 concern or attention span for it. Civil War had a more coherent ending.

Winter Soldier, the guy in the title of the film, is one of the villains in the movie. The main villain is
Robert Redford's Alexander Pierce character, who turns out to be a Hydra agent running Shield. The movie makes it incredibly clear that he's the main villain. So, like, I have a hard time comprehending how you can't name the villain of the movie

LotusHD

Banned
I think the hipster hate on WW rubs me worse than TFA or Rogue One or anything to come out recently. I can give some merit to the "TFA retreads too much" and "Rogue One is slow the first 2/3" ... but WW was sublime. Best cape flick ever IMO.

Hipster hate lmao, really

Always that one person I guess.

Passive aggressive insults because...?

No I didn't expect it. I'm a huge fan of the 2008 film and I thought they copped out of doing it because it would be too crazy to have Ares in full battle armor vs. Diana. Thankfully they went with it.

Winter Soldier, the guy in the title of the film, is one of the villains in the movie. The main villain is
Robert Redford's Alexander Pierce character, who turns out to be a Hydra agent running Shield. The movie makes it incredibly clear that he's the main villain. So, like, I have a hard time comprehending how you can't name the villain of the movie

I'm not sure why you're being a dick over this (or anyone else) - you seem pretty cool usually Seph. Disappointing.

And again - Winter Soldier is *not* the villain. He is a brainwashed antagonist that is essentially an anti-hero. And yes the Alexander guy is who I couldn't remember. Because he was a nobody just like Justin Hammer from IM2.

Blader

We're not in school. One movie scoring 72 percent and another scoring 69 percent does not mean one has "passed" and the other has "failed"

Also, reviews are not objective measurements! They're entirely subjective!

winter soldier is a better movie than wonder woman. but i think wonder woman had a lot more heart to its characters and also that no man's land scene ended up being one of my favorite action scenes in the genre too. dat empowerment. wouldn't be out of place seeing people put it over Cap 2 tbh.

lol disco. That's a funny way of phrasing it

Not even close. If you were comparing Cap 1's third act, I'd be right there with you, but Winter Soldier sticks the landing while Wonder Woman faceplants. Not saying WS is perfect, but it's a damn sight better than the clearly reshot-to-hell finale of WW.

Again, greatly disagree. You're entitled to your opinion. For me, Winter Soldier's third act is bad and hurts what was built before it, which is a qualm I share with Wonder Woman as well. Although Wonder Woman doesn't have Falcon, so I might give it the edge there. I'll agree that Cap 1's third act is far worse than both.

To wrap it around back to Batman, I hope Reeves doesn't feel the need to go with a huge bombastic finale. Realistically a Batman movie doesn't need to be some huge budget affair.

Wonder Woman 7.5

tenor.gif

If you wanna do this incredibly dumb and reductive thing. Wonder Woman has a 76 metascore to Winter Soldier's 70.

This is the laziest fucking way to argue about films in the world, though.

We're not in school. One movie scoring 72 percent and another scoring 69 percent does not mean one has "passed" and the other has "failed"

Also, reviews are not objective measurements! They're entirely subjective!

Did you just ignore the statement following it saying "That is about as relevant"?

No shit its not school. No need to be condescending.

One film is rated higher than the other. I guarantee if WS was rated above WW people would be using it to argue why its a better film.

Wonder Woman 7.5

tenor.gif

WW RT: 92%

WS RT: 89%

WW IMDB: 7.9

WS IMDB: 7.8

Try again.

it was shot like a Loreal Paris ad, but if the model kicked a bunch of ass too.

but really, I think it was great seeing her step up in the trenches as all the soldiers looked in awe of her and then she rallied the troops. I think it got that inspiring element of superheroes more right than any of the other movies in a while.

Jarmel

Banned
Why are people talking about Winter Soldier in a Batman thread? What the hell is going on?
And again - Winter Soldier is *not* the villain. He is a brainwashed antagonist that is essentially an anti-hero. And yes the Alexander guy is who I couldn't remember. Because he was a nobody just like Justin Hammer from IM2.

Yes, he's still one of the villains in the movie. He's more of an anti-hero in Civil War but in WS he's still a villain.

I think Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier are both top-tier modern comic book films. To the point that trying to decide which is better is an exercise in futility.

Neophant

This is genuinely great news to me. I've always thought the best kind of Batman trilogy would work without having to be bogged down with the expansive world of alien tecnology and mystical beings. Here's hoping Reeves and Affleck can make a prequel trilogy that tells a story in Batman's past not having to be tied by the greater whole of the DCEU.

Davide

WW RT: 92%

WS RT: 89%

WW IMDB: 7.9

WS IMDB: 7.8

Try again.
Average critics ratings are a different thing from the percentages on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't care which film has a couple tenths of a point higher, I'm just refuting that Wonder Woman has better critic ratings across the board.

I think Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier are both top-tier modern comic book films. To the point that trying to decide which is better is an exercise in futility.
Agreed.

I look forward to 2035 when the hot new debate on GAF will be Todd McFarlane's Spawn 3: A Violator Christmas vs Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose 5: Jim Balent's New Nightmare.

If you wanna do this incredibly dumb and reductive thing. Wonder Woman has a 76 metascore to Winter Soldier's 70.

This is the laziest fucking way to argue about films in the world, though.
He's using Rotten Tomatoes, which is the same metric QZ is using. I'm pretty sure he's making the point that even the evidence QZ is using to say WW is "Objectively" better doesn't even back up his own argument.

Top Bottom