• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on ‘The Batman’: “It’s a standalone, this isn’t part of the DCEU"

cr0w

Old Member
disgusting. that should have been filmed on a closed set that day with just the necessary crew members.

why are they laughing about something so serious here. kind of makes me look at these people in a new light.

Really makes you think.

people are thinking its gonna be used to reset the universe but I think it will be more about Flash dealing with having to accept the loss of his mother and that he can't change fate or something like that.

i don't really see them using it merely as an excuse to change shit around.

If it works like the other versions of the Flashpoint story, it'll be pretty much that, with some fun glimpses into an alternate reality DCEU. At the end, Flash will restore the timeline 90% of the way, but some things will be different. That's where you could, conceivably, introduce a different Bruce or show that Superman never ended up dying, for example.

Of course, these movies don't typically serve as direct adaptations. So I don't expect it to be true to the Flashpoint storyline anymore than Civil War was to it's source material.

If Ant Man or Guardians or most if the MCU movies didn't take place in a connected universe, I wouldn't have watched most of them.

Good luck getting me to watch Shazam if it's not connected.

But it's Batman so I will watch this regardless.

It's up to studios to better market the characters nobody outside of niche comic fans have heard of.

I feel like the connected universe highly discourages filmmakers from making impactful comsequences in their films. I mean Superman dying at the of Batman V Superman meant nothing since you knew he was going to be in the next film. So many of the Marvel moments fall short of being great films because they pull their punches at the end despite being well made.

New002

This sounds fine to me. I don't care if it's not part of the universe. As long as it's good that's what matters to me.

people are thinking its gonna be used to reset the universe but I think it will be more about Flash dealing with having to accept the loss of his mother and that he can't change fate or something like that.

i don't really see them using it merely as an excuse to change shit around.
If it works like the other versions of the Flashpoint story, it'll be pretty much that, with some fun glimpses into an alternate reality DCEU. At the end, Flash will restore the timeline 90% of the way, but some things will be different. That's where you could, conceivably, introduce a different Bruce or show that Superman never ended up dying, for example.

Of course, these movies don't typically serve as direct adaptations. So I don't expect it to be true to the Flashpoint storyline anymore than Civil War was to it's source material.

Yeah. The door is there to change things up, but I imagine it'll end up being closer to Back to the Future 2 than X-Men Days of Futures Past.

Like, Avengers Infinity War has potential to change things up with the reality gem. Will they? Probably not. But it gives an in-universe reason to retcon/reboot.

Yeah. The door is there to change things up, but I imagine it'll end up being closer to Back to the Future 2 than X-Men Days of Futures Past.

Like, Avengers Infinity War has potential to change things up with the reality gem. Will they? Probably not. But it gives an in-universe reason to retcon/reboot.

BttF 2 is a perfect point of reference given who they're courting to direct.

I don't get how this has extrapolated to "the DCEU is over". Like why would they have any reason to do that?

It being more standalone wouldn't be any different from comics where they don't find the need to remind you that it's a connected universe every single issue.

overcast

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Could also just be like Wonder Wonan. I don't need a SS or BVS shoutout. Lemme see Matt Reeves Batman movie and you can keep most of the cinematic universe nonsense.

firelogic

I'm all for foregoing a connected universe (that isn't that connected anyway, yeah I'm looking at you MCU), and make good movies. If they happen to have other characters involved, great. If they mention other events or events in another movie caused something to happen in another, great. If there's no connection at all, great.

It's like the DC animated stuff. Sometimes they reference preceding movie events and that's it. Sometimes they have characters X, Y, Z but not all the time. This way directors and script writers can do a lot more while still being able to reference things that came before or is still to come. They also don't have to setup a team up movie with 5 others before it. They can just do it. There was no setup for Flashpoint Protocol. There was no setup for Justice League War.

That Batman/Batwoman animated movie has Damien from the several previous movies and at the end, they show
Batgirl
who will presumably get a movie in the future (or not).

That's the way to go. Connected, but not connected. Free to drop characters in and out but not restricted to a set of rules. Mention past events or tease future ones but they don't necessarily have to go there.

I'd be OK with DC using the Fox model instead of the MCU model. Have your 'flagship' series (X-Men, Justice League) and then everything else is as connected or unconnected as the directors want them to be (Wonder Woman, Deadpool, Logan). Do soft reboots of the flagship series as needed (Days of Future Past, Flashpoint?).

But Matt Reeves is possibly the best director to ever do a DC film, or second best after Nolan. I think it's most important for WB to just sign the cheque and give the man what he wants.

What if their plan is to make a bunch of stand-alone movies, then come Flashpoint, they retcon these movies into being part of the DCEU?

Alienous

What if their plan is to make a bunch of stand-alone movies, then come Flashpoint, they retcon these movies into being part of the DCEU?

That would be the smart way to do it. Then you can cherrypick the ones that don't suck, while the rest mysteriously disappear into non-existence.

Cuburt

My bet is on WB deciding to separate films for now, recasting some actors while keeping others, then in 3 years they see what Marvel is doing, decide to do a 180 again in order to find a way to bring characters together, and they have to reverse engineer an even more convoluted explanation for how Superman is evil and Affleck is Batman again when Zack Snyder wants to continue his JL 2 idea.

J_Viper

His time has come

1478657765_focusfeatures_nocturnalanimals_tomford_amyadams_jakegyllenhaal_aarontaylorjohnson_michaelshannon_hammer_bio.jpg

Ushay

I can see him doing a prequel trilogy that doesn't need to be related to the DCEU to both work and be excellent movies.

Chill out guys.

Remember JL Batman is a much older and experienced version. There are numerous stories he can dig up here and not have a relation to the JL.

However, if he decides to complete divorce this trilogy from the JL timeline and use another actor, that makes no sense at all..

yuraya

So everyone is either going to die by the end of Justice League or...Battfleck will for sure be dead. But still standalone doesn't make sense. Maybe Aquaman and Wonder Woman 2 take place long before BvS.

I mean regardless wtvr movie Reeves was gonna make you'd figure it would take place in the past when Wayne Manor burned down and the whole Joker/Robin stuff happened. So in a way it is standalone by default.

Interesting to see what exactly WB is trying to do here. Now that Flashpoint is confirmed just about anything is possible. I guess there will be nothing but confusion until Justice League and from there things will make sense.

Falchion

Why is DC in film such a mess? Just have the DCEU and stop screwing everything up. Now Marvel and DC are becoming increasingly fragmented.

Sephzilla

so basically it just wont have any stupid DCEU tie in shit. which is good, because all of the tie in shit was one of the many problems with BvS

a916

In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman...
Reeves on twitter

Lol, so it was what any rational minded person though... glad to still some of the people in thread melt down though.

Theorry

"Matt Reeves‏@mattreevesLA

In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman..."

"Matt Reeves‏@mattreevesLA

...not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn't be filled with cameos servicing other stories -- that it would be a BATMAN story."

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Honestly WB just needs to get a handle on the leaks, the PR, and the fake news.

I'm no conspiracy nut here, but c'mon. There are billions of dollars at stake. There's game being played here and WB is losing every round.

DOWN

Banned
He could just mean it won’t rely on, reference, or lead into the threads of the rest of the DCEU. It could simply be that they are using Ben Batman, but they wrote a good story and don’t need to morph it to fit the DCEU ties.

EDIT: oh I see the internet indeed jumped the gun

a916

I'm no conspiracy nut here, but c'mon. There are billions of dollars at stake. There's game being played here and WB is losing every round.

They seem to leak a lot... even just the ground level discussions leak.

Ross61

Only thing WB needs to address are false rumors. Anything else and just leave it be.

You can't really stop people from posting bullshit on the internet. The Lex Luthor being cut from Justice League is a perfect example. It's literally sourced from a 4chan leak where there are countless DCEU leaks every week. Sites run those stories to get clicks and then the denial comes from Warner Bros and it doesn't get the same level of traction.

See Reeves and dropping out of talks for The Batman on this very forum. The thread where he walked away, countless pages. The thread saying he was officially attached, only a few pages.

Top Bottom