• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matts Booty on Fable: "Giving Fable to the racing team [Playground] could be a little bit of a headscratcher, but they have proven that they get it"

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Fair point for the post you quoted, in another I emphasized that it's first party,which should make a huge difference.

As for forspoken, 3rd party, and the development was rocky. That being said I think it still looks pretty, regardless of the corny writing and setting.

Maybe I've missed something, but all I've really seen of Harry Potter was the gorgeous house rooms, but with the character moving slower than someone in crutches climbing up a flight of stairs
Yeah, I hope your right.

I hate that we still don't know what this gen is about, visually.

Harry potter is just a good looking polished cross gen game, like horizon or rdr2.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah it's like the most obvious thing ever 😆

I wonder if @remember_spinal had this much concern when it was revealed "guerilla" a narrow shooter FPS Dev would be making an open world RPG.

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

Yeah, I hope your right.

I hate that we still don't know what this gen is about, visually.

Harry potter is just a good looking polished cross gen game, like horizon or rdr2.
Gta 6 is going to set the bar, good god imagine what they'll do with a new console

Covid pretty much eliminated a year+ of development right as the new consoles came out, we're going to be caught up to speed about next (not this) holiday season

pasterpl

There is whole new team at playground working on this title (with lots of experienced (in rpg) people), and with forza horizon experience in 2nd team at the studio I am not worried whatsoever. This game with be massive, will look amazing and will be full of English humour. Cannot wait for the release. I am hyped for this since the first teaser. I trust in playground.

I’m assuming Playground will do fine on the open world. The gameplay is what I’m mostly concerned about. There are developers who have been making RPG’s for years who still can’t get the gameplay right with jank and glitches. Going from a racing game to an adventure/action RPG is a drastic transition in gameplay mechanics. It’s like going from a walking simulator to a fighting game. We’ll see what happens.

Jennings

You can't always use the past to predict the future but can anyone recall a studio switching to a completely different genre like this, and the game turning out well? (Situations like this are rare).
Epic Megagames:
ZZT - Ascii adventure game.
Jilling in the Jungle - Sidescroller platformer
Unreal - First person Pew pew pew
Gears of War - Third person Mario Golf gun reloader
Fortnite - H1Z1 clone

Last edited:

CamHostage

I’m not concerned at all, just skeptical that racing devs can successfully transfer that skill set to a big western choice driven rpg

What else is there to really discuss if not for our differing opinions on how we think the project will turn out?

And as others have pointed out, it used to be not at all uncommon for a developer to try new development ideas. It's less so now because AAA development really requires too much time and direction to mess around with side projects (also, people don't know developers so well outside of the big names, so the Sumo Digitals and the Rebellions and the Sabers and the Virtuoses and all these other companies just doing contract or spec work, nobody counts them when they think of these things. These studios are also a dying breed, sadly, but with the indie market these days, you can just kill one business and start a smaller other one...)

But also, this isn't Playground Games like you're thinking, all the car nuts and gear heads who've made racing games for a decade or so. This is a new studio, based in Leamington Spa, with has a lot of new people as well as some vets, and they're leveraging the awesome ForzaTech to do something different but not preposterously different. It's an open world, it's weather and special effects, it's stats and physics... the engine they're using should be more than capable of making a different type of game than it's usually used for, and the new development team is no more or less likely to fail than any other ambitious upstart development team funded by an eager parent company; this one's also got a friendly neighborhood master craftsman studio on the line any time they need some help. So, there's no guarantee this will be a great Fable, but there was no guarantee there'd be a great Fable even when Lionhead was still around...

...That said, I'm inclined to believe all the scuttlebutt that says to not hold your breath waiting to play this one. Playground Leamington has been staffing up since 2017 so they should have something to show eventually, but it they're slow, they're slow. As long as the final result is good.

Last edited:

Fredrik

When I’m playing Forza Horizon 5 I sometimes look at the awesome forests and think ”Imagine walking around with a third person camera in a Fable game looking like this but with more Fable-like design”. Then all my concerns go away. I honestly think Fable will be a best Xbox game of the generation type of game whenever it releases. Playground seems to have fun, it shines through in all their games and when they talk about their games, it’s Microsoft’s best studio by far. And if they for some reason truly struggle with the RPG mechanics they have Bethesda, Obsidian, InXile a phone call away. It’ll be awesome 👌

Corndog

Banned
Do they know how to animate believable characters, balanced combat systems, branch narrative style story telling, non-car traversal, proper rewarding loot and quest systems, etc.

They are total mystery outside of the racer genre, the only thing that translates is the actual landscape design
I’m sure none of the developers there have ever worked on a non car game.

You can't always use the past to predict the future but can anyone recall a studio switching to a completely different genre like this, and the game turning out well? (Situations like this are rare).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarre_Creations

Some people might argue or opinion piece this statement to death, but I thought that Fur Fighters, 007: Blood Stone, and Geometry Wars were great games by Bizarre Creations, a studio specifically known for driving games(Project Gotham Racing series and Blur).

If anyone liked Splinter Cell Conviction then Blood Stone is worth at least an honest chance. It's no goldeneye(what is really) but it was a fun stealth action game as their last title.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m sure Playground has it under control, they seem to be a really great studio.

And if the writing will be good, maybe these writers can stay at Playground to help the Forza Horizon writers to get rid of their cringey soulless stereotype writing :D

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What is with all these random Matt Booty comments and threads....

Microsoft doing the typical talking about games?

CeeJay

What about when a new developer hits it out the park with their first game like PG did with the original FH? And, how is that different from a developer building a second new studio with new staff in a new building like PG did for Fable?

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not concerned at all, just skeptical that racing devs can successfully transfer that skill set to a big western choice driven rpg

What else is there to really discuss if not for our differing opinions on how we think the project will turn out?

We’ve had similar topics on this same game, and the same information has been passed on over and over, so there’s no way you aren’t aware that Playground’s hired a ton of folks with significant RPG experience for the Fable team.

This is pretty much just concern trolling at this point.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
We’ve had similar topics on this same game, and the same information has been passed on over and over, so there’s no way you aren’t aware that Playground’s hired a ton of folks with significant RPG experience for the Fable team.

This is pretty much just concern trolling at this point.

Hiring is just the first step. You need to build the team, integrate them, and run the project right. Rapid expansion is often the root of, and not the solution to problems in development. Not saying that this is going to be the case, just that its a real risk - especially with new project/IP where contingencies aren't immediately apparent.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Yu
I’m assuming Playground will do fine on the open world. The gameplay is what I’m mostly concerned about. There are developers who have been making RPG’s for years who still can’t get the gameplay right with jank and glitches. Going from a racing game to an adventure/action RPG is a drastic transition in gameplay mechanics. It’s like going from a walking simulator to a fighting game. We’ll see what happens.
You guys do realize that alot of these devs have worked on numerous other games, including other genres, right? Not to mention they've hired many other devs who have experience in specific development disciplines to handle the areas with no experience?

You guys don't think. Jesus.

Naughty Dog switched from cute platformers to post apocalyptic action adventure.

Guerilla switched from Killzone to Horizon.

CDPR switched from celebrated open world medieval fantasy to a live action trainwreck.

Everything is possible. You just gotta believe in your vision.
Switching from a linear game to another Linear isn't really comparable.

Topher

Gold Member
To me, the key is the fact that Playground is a well-managed studio. As others have pointed out, they have hired developers with experience in creating RPGs. Outside of the difficulty of retrofitting their FH engine for an open world RPG, I think all the pieces are in place. I made similar arguments when KOTOR remake was handed to Aspyr, but obviously I was proven wrong in that case, but I think the difference goes to poor management. Ultimately, I think Fable is in good hands with Playground.

Ozriel

M$FT
Hiring is just the first step. You need to build the team, integrate them, and run the project right. Rapid expansion is often the root of, and not the solution to problems in development. Not saying that this is going to be the case, just that its a real risk - especially with new project/IP where contingencies aren't immediately apparent.

They’ve been hiring and building the team since 2018. A developer that worked there has had good words to say about the environment there.

The core of the management team comes from Playground, so there’s really no leadership friction.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
To me, the key is the fact that Playground is a well-managed studio. As others have pointed out, they have hired developers with experience in creating RPGs. Outside of the difficulty of retrofitting their FH engine for an open world RPG, I think all the pieces are in place. I made similar arguments when KOTOR remake was handed to Aspyr, but obviously I was proven wrong in that case, but I think the difference goes to poor management. Ultimately, I think Fable is in good hands with Playground.

Unlike Guerilla, they also have a lot of reference material to get inspiration and ideas from, the original fable games. While im sure its going to be new, it must be helpful to reboot an existing franchise rather then starting from scratch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don’t you remember the guy with the Garfield avatar making thread after thread that were remarkably similar to the threads that this guy is churning out?? Lol

It’ll come to you

What was the username, for the uninitiated lol

What is with all these random Matt Booty comments and threads....

Microsoft doing the typical talking about games?

He did one singular interview where he talked about different games and for some reason there are individual threads for each game he talked about.

I think a single thread about the interview with bullet points should have sufficed.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have nothing but faith in Playground Studios. As far as I’m concerned they were Microsoft’s top internal studio, before the recent buyouts.
Still among their best, and Fable deserves another decent entry to sit beside Fable 2.

I hope they keep the simplicity of combat, while retaining the ability to get married to multiple wives, have children, rent out property, etc. Damn Fable 2 was so good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What was the username, for the uninitiated lol

He did one singular interview where he talked about different games and for some reason there are individual threads for each game he talked about.

I think a single thread about the interview with bullet points should have sufficed.
I agree. Just dump it all in one.

CC-Tron

Neo Member
Sega's teams used to do almost everything. (Platformers, Shmups, Driving Games, Shooters, Brawlers, Fighting Games, RPG, RTS, Sports)

Last edited:
Just because Sony only develops 3rd person narrative adventure games nowadays (plus MLB and GT), doesn't mean other developers are incapable of diverse generas.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t have a lot of hope for a great game but I am very interested in how it turns out.

Just because Sony only develops 3rd person narrative adventure games nowadays (plus MLB and GT), doesn't mean other developers are incapable of diverse generas.
That's not really the point though, it's purely because of what Playground have been making; from the outside, it would've made more sense if Rare or The Coalition were asked to make it.

I also don't know the backgrounds of the employees at Playground or if they've gone on a hiring spree to make sure they have the right people for this type of game.

In hindsight, Rare would've been the more obvious candidate.

Top Bottom