• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Ancar, (Principal VFX Artist) on GabbinandGames Discussing GoW: Ragnarok

Fredrik

Hands on gameplay focused director and a better story than GOW2018?
Oh My God Wow GIF

Already bored of hearing the lgbt jabs though, people need to Google how Odin got his horse, Loki is something entirely different than a simple pride parader 😂

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think I'm asking a lot to just see one slightly new gameplay element in the trailers before release. Like 1 new move, 1 new weapon, something.

Having the director focused on gameplay is what I want, but they could stand to show off 1% of it.

GoW Ragnarok has everything to be better than GoW 2018. In the last game they had to completely reinvent the series including gameplay, story, setting and even Kratos himself. For the sequel everything is already in place and it's a game Sony is 100% confident about given the massive success of the first game.

Last edited:
I said this before. But this game should be way better than the first one. If is not 95-98 on meta is going to be a disappointment to me.

Just think about it.

With the first game, they were figuring out a new game design philosophy at the same time that they were building a new game engine; this is a huge constrain in many levels. So, in theory this game is going to have way more enemies/bosses. Refinement of gameplay/ mechanics and new things to surprise us.

About the story. In the first one, everything was all setting up and establishing the dynamic between characters. It was fine but with Ragnarok, we should see the consequences, it's going to be fucking insane. Hoping some Game of Thrones shit (when it was good and with no sex 😔)

....well, this makes me question if they are going to use the "one single shot". Anyway, what I mean (with the game of thrones shit) is these moments when characters are plotting their plans and the tension of these (plans) coming to fruition (for good and for bad)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
GoW Ragnarok has everything to be better than GoW 2018. In the last game they had to completely reinvent the series including gameplay, story, setting and even Kratos himself. For the sequel everything is already in place and it's a game Sony is 100% confident about given the massive success of the first game.
That could be the case. That's basically what I expect from Breath of the Wild 2. But part of why I expect that, is because Breath of the Wild was so clearly missing detailed dungeons and other elements that could get added in.

God of War 2018 isn't really missing that much in my opinion. It was my GOTY that year. It pretty much has it all. Great combat, story, exploration, side content, post-game content, a big new gameplay hook (the axe and the throw / return). There's not a huge gap that is obviously going to get filled. And God of War has a history of sequels that sort of tread water and are good, but not amazing - like Ascension.

Considering how great the last game was, there's no real reason to believe this one wont be great. But they haven't shown off anything yet that is really getting me excited and I don't know why. Extremely underwhelming trailers.

Last edited:
That could be the case. That's basically what I expect from Breath of the Wild 2. But part of why I expect that, is because Breath of the Wild was so clearly missing detailed dungeons and other elements that could get added in.

God of War 2018 isn't really missing that much in my opinion. It was my GOTY that year. It pretty much has it all. Great combat, story, exploration, side content, post-game content, a big new gameplay hook (the axe and the throw / return). There's not a huge gap that is obviously going to get filled. And God of War has a history of sequels that sort of tread water and are good, but not amazing - like Ascension.

Considering how great the last game was, there's no real reason to believe this one wont be great. But they haven't shown off anything yet that is really getting me excited and I don't know why. Extremely underwhelming trailers.
GoW 2018 despite being absolutely great could still benefit from a lot of obvious things like more enemy variety and more boss encounters.

All the disguised loadings were also clearly holding the game back in 2018, too bad the sequel ended up being crossgen.

GoW 2018 is a great foundation for a series, I'm surprised they apparently want to move on from the Norse mythology already. My hope is that they are hiding something and that we won't move on completely from this setting after this game.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Hands on gameplay focused director and a better story than GOW2018?
Oh My God Wow GIF

Already bored of hearing the lgbt jabs though, people need to Google how Odin got his horse, Loki is something entirely different than a simple pride parader 😂
People need to understand other myths also… since most of them are diverse enough.

This game is going to be one of the GOATs.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I hope that a focus on gameplay is true. The Muspelheim trials were the highlight of the first game for me personally.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that there is this meme about the "Sony formula/cinematic games" all are the same. Ironically The last of us1/2 and God of war are thematically very similar.

Kratos ended the "cycle if violence" lol.

God of war should have a better storytelling in this regard.

Relique

I said this before. But this game should be way better than the first one. If is not 95-98 on meta is going to be a disappointment to me.

Just think about it.

With the first game, they were figuring out a new game design philosophy at the same time that they were building a new game engine; this is a huge constrain in many levels. So, in theory this game is going to have way more enemies/bosses. Refinement of gameplay/ mechanics and new things to surprise us.

About the story. In the first one, everything was all setting up and establishing the dynamic between characters. It was fine but with Ragnarok, we should see the consequences, it's going to be fucking insane. Hoping some Game of Thrones shit (when it was good and with no sex 😔)

....well, this makes me question if they are going to use the "one single shot". Anyway, what I mean (with the game of thrones shit) is these moments when characters are plotting their plans and the tension of these (plans) coming to fruition (for good and for bad)
I agree with you on everything except the score. It will be a tighter experience now that a combat designer is directing the game. They also have more gods to work since this is the end of the Norse sage. I do think the review scores will take a small hit for not pushing the envelope graphically and for feeling similar to the first one. I think it will be a better game but will score around the same or maybe even less. Horizon Forbidden West is a good example of this. Although to be fair, there is no difference between a 92 or a 98 for me. At that point you know it's an excellent game anyway.

Last edited:

Fredrik

GoW 2018 is a great foundation for a series, I'm surprised they apparently want to move on from the Norse mythology already. My hope is that they are hiding something and that we won't move on
Ragnarök is coming. Doesn’t mean Ragnarök is over or even here yet. Part 3 incoming 👍

But after the unboxing video with the Thor actor I want Kratos to be swapped out to badass Thor instead.
Thor to Kratos: Go home boi!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
He is the producer right?. I bet he is on top of high level stuff, story side of things. And offering feedback to the team.

He is not in the trenches so to speak.
Thia interview suggests that hes more hands on then cory.

"Hands on" very much means "in the trenches" in this context.

However I don't think its wise to read to much into it. People are not gonna do things exactly the same.

Ragnarök is coming. Doesn’t mean Ragnarök is over or even here yet. Part 3 incoming 👍

But after the unboxing video with the Thor actor I want Kratos to be swapped out to badass Thor instead.
I pretty sure devs said this was the last part in the Norse mythology but like I said I think there is something more to it.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Eric Williams confirmed Ragnarok occurring in the game saying something along the lines of of "you can't have Ragnarok in the title and not have it take place".

Fredrik

Eric Williams confirmed Ragnarok occurring in the game saying something along the lines of of "you can't have Ragnarok in the title and not have it take place".
True 👍

Then lots of things will happen. Or they’ll freestyle completely. Loki is too young, unless they fast forward Ragnarök, there are so many things in the myth happening through him.
Just hoping Thor lives. Best voice for the best look for the best role ever for a voice actor.👌
Needs to live. Don’t you dare doing it Kratos! Please 😢

Sounds good, Jaffe in that live also mentioned Williams was really into fighting games so he has a strong focus on combat mechanics. I'd also like to see:
  • Kratos losing to Thor early on
  • Playable Atreus
  • Time stuff happening so Atreus gets even older + a wolf (rage) transformation and a teleport
  • Odin not being the final boss because he gets taken out by someone else

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think I'm asking a lot to just see one slightly new gameplay element in the trailers before release. Like 1 new move, 1 new weapon, something.

Having the director focused on gameplay is what I want, but they could stand to show off 1% of it.

Sony only shown the game off once right?

Kokoloko85

The only way this game is gonna fail is if they do a MGS2/TLOU2 and kill Kratos and you have to play as Loki.

This should be longer and more action packed then the first. Thats all I want from 2018. A longer, bigger version with more combat, more moves, more variation, more enemies and more bosses.

The only way this game is gonna fail is if they do a MGS2/TLOU2 and kill Kratos and you have to play as Loki.

This should be longer and more action packed then the first. Thats all I want from 2018. A longer, bigger version with more combat, more moves, more variation, more enemies and more bosses.
Personally, I don't get attached to characters -- it's always about the gameplay. If Atreus takes over but they give him way better/different/fun combat mechanics then I don't care.

And focussing on gameplay, maybe Kratos (permanently) dies but Loki can shape-shift into Kratos, and other people/animals - that would really open up the action/combat/puzzle possibilities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom